About to buy Onkyo SP-1000 please comment - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1207 Old 11-15-2004, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I must'a squeezed in just before a couple of you...I ordered mine about 5:00 p.m. -- glad I didn't wait 'till I got home from work!

Mine's currently in transit (somewhere in Chicago), due to arrive in Cincinnati on Wednesday! Staying home to take receipt, and drool over the results...

I'm expecting a huge upgrade from my DV-45a.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1207 Old 11-15-2004, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Q of BanditZ
Owned! :p

It is pretty amazing, but if you've checked that deal out for yourself, and you can see one post above mine here someone else did...you can see how it finally put a foot to my butt and knocked me off the fence. It really got to the point yesterday where I would have been foolish not to take a deal like that.
Q...

Could you go into the range of video controls available on the Onkyo at the various resolutions and outputs?

;-)

Since my 2910 is on it's way back to the reseller, I might just have to put the DV-1000 on my short list.

:D

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #93 of 1207 Old 11-15-2004, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Bytehoven
Q...

Could you go into the range of video controls available on the Onkyo at the various resolutions and outputs?

;-)

Since my 2910 is on it's way back to the reseller, I might just have to put the DV-1000 on my short list.

PM Earz, Franchot, or Pooper Scooper and they can answer this for you now. (If they don't hit this thread again in a timely manner.)

I'll do my best. The 18th is a Thursday. That's when I'm due to receive mine. Someone else here might be able to hit your request before me, but sure I'll give everyone the best review and rundown that I can.

Warning: It's not going to be a real technical gem worthy of Bob Pariseau or Kris Deering or Pooper Scooper or someone like that. ;) I'll try to give you something more than "OH MY GOD! WOW!!!!!" :p

Vanns.com impressed me and I'm impressed with what I'm reading in this thread. That shows thoroughness, dedication, honesty, and being conscientious. Always nice to see that kind of awesome customer service. I'll definitely be a repeat customer of theirs, especially if they keep pulling of heists like this! :D

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #94 of 1207 Old 11-15-2004, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
PM Earz, Franchot, or Pooper Scooper and they can answer this for you now. (If they don't hit this thread again in a timely manner.)
Byte,
Don't know about the SP-1000 manual, but if you go to www.integrahometheater.com you can find the manual for the DPS-10.5. It's the same as the SP-1000 except for (real) video upconversion of composite or s-video inputs. Also, the SP-1000 does not have BNC connecters for the 480p component output - but I think you are interested in the HDMI output.

larry

Edit: The SP-1000 manual is at the Onkyo website. Q, I thought you' d have downloaded it by now and have it memorized - well, maybe part of it. :)

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #95 of 1207 Old 11-15-2004, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PooperScooper
Byte,
Don't know about the SP-1000 manual, but if you go to www.integrahometheater.com you can find the manual for the DPS-10.5. It's the same as the SP-1000 except for (real) video upconversion of composite or s-video inputs. Also, the SP-1000 does not have BNC connecters for the 480p component output - but I think you are interested in the HDMI output.

larry

Edit: The SP-1000 manual is at the Onkyo website. Q, I thought you' d have downloaded it by now and have it memorized - well, maybe part of it. :)
Workin' on it! I think I'll do better with the manual in my hands and the player in front of me, though. :)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #96 of 1207 Old 11-15-2004, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys.

Just downloaded the .pdf on the 1000, and will have some intersting reading.

Can anyone comment on what pictures remain available over the HDMI output at the 720p & 1080i resolutions?

Thanks

post #97 of 1207 Old 11-15-2004, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bytehoven
Thanks guys.

Just downloaded the .pdf on the 1000, and will have some intersting reading.

Try not to droll all over your keyboard too much. :p :D

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #98 of 1207 Old 11-15-2004, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Q of BanditZ
Try not to droll all over your keyboard too much. :p :D
Drool is right. I mean come on... AV sync, pictures controls that go (+ & -), and that's just a start on my observations.

However, the devil is in the details. Picture details, that is. :D

Hmmmm.......

post #99 of 1207 Old 11-15-2004, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi!
I just sold my DV8400 and I am ready to buy a new DVD player
for my home theater. I will be using it with a Panasonic PT 47X49 CRT RPTV
with component cables. I have an Onkyo TX SR701 THX select , the 750 MK
THX speaker system, and all of the Monster THX Ultra cables.
I am more incline on buying a THX certified DVD player like the new
Onkyo DV SP1000, but given my experience with the Marantz, I still
don't know if the THX label on the player will warranty performance.

I am undecided between this Onkyo and the Denon 3910. In the meantime
I already contacted vanns.com and I am on the list for the next shiptment.
Is it worth the extra cash for the DV SP1000? Will it make a huge difference in terms of picture quality in my setup?

I will really appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Thanks

Christian

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #100 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gonzalc3
Hi!
I just sold my DV8400 and I am ready to buy a new DVD player
for my home theater. I will be using it with a Panasonic PT 47X49 CRT RPTV
with component cables. I have an Onkyo TX SR701 THX select , the 750 MK
THX speaker system, and all of the Monster THX Ultra cables.
I am more incline on buying a THX certified DVD player like the new
Onkyo DV SP1000, but given my experience with the Marantz, I still
don't know if the THX label on the player will warranty performance.

I am undecided between this Onkyo and the Denon 3910. In the meantime
I already contacted vanns.com and I am on the list for the next shiptment.
Is it worth the extra cash for the DV SP1000? Will it make a huge difference in terms of picture quality in my setup?

I will really appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Thanks

Christian
I suggest you read the Integra dps 10.5 thread for personal and pro comparisons of the Onkyo to other highly rated players.

As far as I have read, nobody has liked or kept any Denon model over the sp 1000 without exception so far.

The sp 1000 is much better and more consistent than the 5900 or 3910 in my set up, but I am using a 100+inch dlp projected screen for my comparisons.
The sp 1000 has a smooth film like picture whith all the detail but no excess artifacting to go along whith it.
I also like the Onkyo better for cd/sa-cd sonics and its build is fantastic at this price point .
Even the remote is worthy of praise imo.

Read all but the first 2-3 pages in the Integra dps 10.5 thread, and you will find plenty of comparisons.

Greg
post #101 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Earz

As far as I have read, nobody has liked or kept any Denon model over the sp 1000 without exception so far.

Greg

'Nobody liked' are tough words. The SP1000 by all means SHOULD be better with that price tag. Can't it be said the Denon 3910 is the 2nd or 3rd best player(giving consideration to those who like the 59avi over the 3910) they have seen? I missed the SP1000 deal by a hour or so but the 3910 is not chopped liver in comparison. Other members called the difference subtle. Perhaps your 100" screen is just more reveiling.

If the SP1000 deal comes my way again I'll jump on it to see what the hype is about. For me though I think the only improvement may be audio since I am also using a Iscan HD.
post #102 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mimason
I missed the SP1000 deal by a hour or so ...

If the SP1000 deal comes my way again I'll jump on it to see what the hype is about.
I don't think you've missed the deal. I just got on the email notification list and then called customer service who confirmed that I would get the sale price when the next shipment arrives "in a couple of weeks".
post #103 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Get on the email list and call them on the phone to confirm. Also call them to place the order when you get notified via email.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #104 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmr21
I don't think you've missed the deal. I just got on the email notification list and then called customer service who confirmed that I would get the sale price when the next shipment arrives "in a couple of weeks".

Cool. Then I am already high up on the list since I did give them my email address.
post #105 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Just got mine!! As luck would have it, it arrived a day early...thank goodness for online package tracking. Zipped home from work so it wouldn't sit on my front porch all day. Off to play now...will report back later when I get a chance!

Brad
post #106 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blindamood
Just got mine!! As luck would have it, it arrived a day early...thank goodness for online package tracking. Zipped home from work so it wouldn't sit on my front porch all day. Off to play now...will report back later when I get a chance!
Nice! I may have missed this: When did you order yours?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #107 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

I'm the one that ordered at 5:00 pm the same day you did. Can't believe it actually arrived early (via FedEx).

Wow this thing is a beast! Well, compared to the DV-45a, I guess anything would seem heavy...

Don't really have time to properly calibrate today, but so far things look really good. At this point, I'm only running component (through my receiver's switching), but will definitely have to test HDMI>DVI-D into my Toshiba 50HDX82 at some point to compare (and check the upsampling).

My initial impressions of multi-channel SACD are awesome! Sounds a lot more full and detailed than I've heard before. One other thing I've noticed is that jumping between tracks is extremely quick. Also, the remote is very subtantial well laid out (with joystick for menus).

More as I experience it...

Brad
post #108 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm the one that ordered at 5:00 pm the same day you did. Can't believe it actually arrived early (via FedEx).

Huh. How the hell did you get it so much quicker? You must have sprung for faster shipping than me. I choose free, ground UPS. :( Oh well...

They say my package is 40 lbs. Did you find this thing was packaged like Fort Knox?

Quote:

Wow this thing is a beast! Well, compared to the DV-45a, I guess anything would seem heavy...

Don't really have time to properly calibrate today, but so far things look really good. At this point, I'm only running component (through my receiver's switching), but will definitely have to test HDMI>DVI-D into my Toshiba 50HDX82 at some point to compare (and check the upsampling).

RAM had to backorder my HDMI-DVI cable, so I'll have the player here before that gets here, so I'll use component for that short interim myself.

Quote:

My initial impressions of multi-channel SACD are awesome! Sounds a lot more full and detailed than I've heard before. One other thing I've noticed is that jumping between tracks is extremely quick. Also, the remote is very subtantial well laid out (with joystick for menus).

More as I experience it...
That remote looks awesome! The feedback I've gotten on that thing also has been great. It looks like it's basically a universal remote, and the manual says you can even program it to control just about anything.

I may consolidate as much as I can to that Onkyo remote if it's really as good as I hear and what it looks like.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #109 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

I got free ground too. Yes, it's well packaged (and heavy). Not double-boxed, but box is large with plenty of separation between the box and the unit.

Brad
post #110 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I got free ground too. Yes, it's well packaged (and heavy). Not double-boxed, but box is large with plenty of separation between the box and the unit.

Incredible. Only three hour time difference in ordering, give or take, and you're not that far south from me, same shipping, and yet you get the unit 2 DAYS before me? That's weird.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #111 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 02:15 PM

Q's jeeeeeeeaaaaaaaalous!:p
post #112 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Greg!

I read the whole Integra 10.5 thread. The conclusion that I get from it, is that the Onkyo has slightly better picture quality and audio over the 3910, but that it is better built, that the remote is much easier to use, and that the menus are friendlier (however, is less tweak-able than the 3910).
I also read the Denon's 3910 owners thread, and there are a lot complaints saying that they received a bad unit and so.
I guess that with these facts, I am inclining to buy the DV SP1000.

Christian

Christian

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #113 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote]Originally posted by mimason
[b]'Nobody liked' are tough words. The SP1000 by all means SHOULD be better with that price tag. Can't it be said the Denon 3910 is the 2nd or 3rd best player(giving consideration to those who like the 59avi over the 3910) they have seen? I missed the SP1000 deal by a hour or so but the 3910 is not chopped liver in comparison. Other members called the difference subtle. Perhaps your 100" screen is just more reveiling.

The words may seem tough when you take them out of context as you have, but the fact remains nobody liked any Denon player as much as the sp1000 for video or audio that has seen both.
Also the sp 1000 costs the same as the 5900

After spending 5400.00 on the 5900/3910 and sp 1000, I have no reason to sugar coat anything, and will call it the way I see it thank you.
The Onkyo is the better video player at any resolution and with any degree of transfer quality as compared to the 5900/3910 period.

I also don't remember too many saying there was just a subptle difference between the two., but if they did, you can bet they weren't using a projector for comparison.

A bigger screen is more revealing simply because of its size.
SD cable for instance is unwatchable on my pj, and digital cable is barely watchable and hi def is more than watchable.

Now you take a smaller rptv,plasma or moniter type tv and sd cable looks pretty good, digital cable looks great and hi def is heaven.

gonzalc 3.... your very welcome.

Greg
post #114 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Greg,

What kind of projector are you using?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #115 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JimP
Greg,

What kind of projector are you using?
I am using a 4805 and currently upgrading to an ae 700 for better ota hi def.
I just hope I don't lose out on the great contrast and blacks for dvd playback in the process.

This is another point, you don't need a sota pj to clearly see the difference among these players at any resolution.

Greg
post #116 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mattepntr
Q's jeeeeeeeaaaaaaaalous!:p
http://www.wackyweaselworld.com/flam...ges/owned4.jpg :p :p

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #117 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Earz, OK the Denon sucks you're right. LOL. Just kidding. I think you took me out of context too :)

FWIW, The vanns price is long gone. I got a notification for $150 more. Whadda ya think? Same as OneCall now. I wonder now if the $600-$700 premium is worth it for an audio upgrade as I already have a Iscan HD. Probably not.
post #118 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I talk to someone of VANNS on Monday and he told me that if you requested the DVD player before the 16, they will honor the nice price
when its shippment arrives.

In any case I will ask them tomorrow again.

Christian

Christian

post #119 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Ije

Well let me add my own 3 cents since I own Integra DPS 10.5.

If you want to experience high definition quality dvd picture NOW, you definitely want to give the integra / onkyo units a spin.

I have VOOM HD satelite service sourced to a hitachi RPTV via component cables. Frankly, the Integra DPS 10.5 picture quality rivals or betters the VOOM quality in detail, clarity, resolution and basically in the "WOW" factor IMHO.

I practically spend hours listening to SACD, Redbook or DVD-audio on this unit and have a hard time wiping the grin off my face just from admiring and loving my DVD player. Weird but true.

I just feel so good owning such a wonderful unit and think that for my money I got a lot more in return from Integra in build quality, aesthetics, performance and sound/picture quality. Honestly.

Give it a spin and you might just be pleasantly surprised or if you are like me, yow will howl and hoot and grin from ear to ear... overjoyed.
post #120 of 1207 Old 11-16-2004, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ije
Well let me add my own 3 cents since I own Integra DPS 10.5.

If you want to experience high definition quality dvd picture NOW, you definitely want to give the integra / onkyo units a spin.

I have VOOM HD satelite service sourced to a hitachi RPTV via component cables. Frankly, the Integra DPS 10.5 picture quality rivals or betters the VOOM quality in detail, clarity, resolution and basically in the "WOW" factor IMHO.

You're kidding! :eek: It's really THAT good?! That's saying something. You're essentially saying that this DVD player rivals real HD with a statement like that. Wow.

Quote:

I practically spend hours listening to SACD, Redbook or DVD-audio on this unit and have a hard time wiping the grin off my face just from admiring and loving my DVD player. Weird but true.

I just feel so good owning such a wonderful unit and think that for my money I got a lot more in return from Integra in build quality, aesthetics, performance and sound/picture quality. Honestly.

Give it a spin and you might just be pleasantly surprised or if you are like me, yow will howl and hoot and grin from ear to ear... overjoyed.
That will be me come Thursday night most likely. :D

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page