About to buy Onkyo SP-1000 please comment - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Well, Onkyo is NOT going to issue a firmware update to allow their players to play different regions--that goes against the whole idea of having different players for different regions. The "hack" will have to be written by a hacker or some place that modifies DVD players to be region-free. A place that modifies DVD players will charge you for this service, of course.
But why can we then update our player with region free firmwares here in Sweden made by Onkyo??? And that not a hack!

So it must be possible to make the US player region free also or??

:confused:

Will the player automically change betwene 120-240v depending of whats feeding it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by demon
But why can we then update our player with region free firmwares here in Sweden made by Onkyo??? And that not a hack!
The DVD "powers" have decided that players cannot support multi-regions. For that reason, no legal manufacturer that wants to do business will publicly offer region free players or firmware updates that allow this feature. Eventually, any imported player into the US that has this feature from the manufacturer will eventually be banned or stripped of the feature.
post #183 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 04:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Congrats Q! You will appreciate your new unit even more with the HDMI to DVI connection! Like last nite we watched Soul Plane, not a reat movie but none the less the picture was flawless! I can't wait to fire up ELF this weekend with my friends. It seriously does look like true HD! I am using 1080i and haven't switched back to 720p since I tried it! I can't wait to pair this unit up with its BIG brother the NR TX 1000 receiver....

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #184 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Earz
I have mainly used the 2 channel outputs and digital coaxial with no signs of this a/v sync except for the begining discussions on the HFO Eagles dvd which has the a/v sync problem on three different players I tried and is most likely in the software itself.

Got any other specific dvd's to check?

Greg
Earz,

Thanks for the offer. Been so busy that I've only watched a few movies on the player. I've been holding out watching until the firmware is released. The ones I seen the sync problems were:
Eagles: HFO
Gattaca(Superbit) Ch15 when Jerome says,"absolutely director" is obvious.
American President(widescreen) crappy conversion with aspect ratio
Fifth Element(Superbit) 1:59 into the movie when Chris tucker yells is obvious

It looks like it could be mastered that way since it seems to lose sync later into the movie. Another person has commented that Superbit DVDs have this problem on this player.

I will try these movies on my Sony DVD/combo in the family room when I get a chance. You really need to look for it. I tend to notice it since we use real-time MPEG2 encoders at work and lip sync problems are obvious.

My dealer had noted that the AV delay did not work well on his 802 changer in the showroom. It's either my player or the DVDs are mastered that way.

Again, thanks for the help. BTW, if you haven't checked your PMs, there's one that may explains things a little more clearly.
post #185 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bytehoven
How would the SP1000 stack up against, let's say an RP-91 with SDI mod, thru a DVDO HD?

Kris commented, he felt the 5900 SDI thru a scaler was still king of the hill. So in that respect, when you consider the SDI mod price on a RP-91 and the excellent AVS Power Buy on the DVDO HD, well... it's nice to have options.

Any comments? Not looking to start a flame, but it's a worthwhile question I think.

RJ
Don't worry about flames in this thread. I'd say everyone here is pretty objective and not overly defensive.

To comment on your question it probably all depends on how good the SP1000 scaler is(does it compare to he DVDO scaler?).....sounds pretty good so far though. They both have the same deinterlacer. That said, the RP91/DVDO HD is pretty much top flight. It can't get much better. I think Kris opted the 5900 SDI/Iscan route to get the add'l benefit of audio.

I compared my 2200 against the 3910 last night running through my Iscan HD via component and have to say I could live with both of them until HD comes out. If I was interested in video only I'd use the 2200/Iscan that benefits from 0 layer change delay, and better navigation/response time.

Sans Iscan the SP1000 is the way to go!
post #186 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sting808
Earz,

Thanks for the offer. Been so busy that I've only watched a few movies on the player. I've been holding out watching until the firmware is released. The ones I seen the sync problems were:
Eagles: HFO
Gattaca(Superbit) Ch15 when Jerome says,"absolutely director" is obvious.
American President(widescreen) crappy conversion with aspect ratio
Fifth Element(Superbit) 1:59 into the movie when Chris tucker yells is obvious

It looks like it could be mastered that way since it seems to lose sync later into the movie. Another person has commented that Superbit DVDs have this problem on this player.

I will try these movies on my Sony DVD/combo in the family room when I get a chance. You really need to look for it. I tend to notice it since we use real-time MPEG2 encoders at work and lip sync problems are obvious.

My dealer had noted that the AV delay did not work well on his 802 changer in the showroom. It's either my player or the DVDs are mastered that way.

Again, thanks for the help. BTW, if you haven't checked your PMs, there's one that may explains things a little more clearly.

I have been very busy also, so I know how that goes.
I own 15 super bit titles and have not noticed this, but when I get some free time, I will check it out TFE sb and pay more attention to this.

Q...when you get your hdmi cable, take some of that money you saved and go out and get "Underworld" and "Once upon a time in Mexico" superbits, and you will be as close to hi def as possible.

Both of these transfers are spectacular....much like the sp 1000:)

Greg
post #187 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 274
re: SDI mod/scaler vs SP-1000 (upscaling DVD player)

Depending on your display you can be comparing apples to oranges. The only place that may be equal footing is with 720p DLPs. Each player can now drive the display at native rate. If not, then you're scaling twice using the SP-1000 - which can't help. External scalers can usually be configured for any output resolution making them better suited for 1280x768, 1366x768, etc displays if their internal scalers are lacking.

Also you're talking about 2x in price with SDI mod/scaler combo. For the price (especially the Vanns sale), the SP-1000 is tough to beat.

Re: Underworld superbit
I agree, it is a spectacular DVD. Also, The Chronicles of Riddick gives it a run for the money and it's not a superbit. It's the best DVD video-wise to come down the pike in a while.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #188 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Do either of the Onkyo units exhibit the Macroblocking issue? Can someone verify this for a fact. I currently have a 5900 that I will sell to get the Integra unit. I am more concerned with the video aspect of this machine than the audio....

Thats why I want to make sure before I jump....No MB and no CUE issues.I know these machines use different video solutions than the Denon 5900..but again I want to make sure...

Thanks...
post #189 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

*yawns* Mornin'... ;)

I woke up this morning with a feeling I haven't had in years: Remember that feeling you had as a kid after having, say, an amazing Christmas or Hanukkah (sp?) That's the way I feel today. I open up my cabinet and I really can't believe I actually own such an incredible piece of equipment.

I know I've already had some people on at least one other forum try to nitpick the Onkyp for things like Time alignment, bass management, and layer change, to which I say rubbish! I know now, for a fact, this is THE player to beat at the <$2000 level, and possibly higher than that if you throw in its big brother, the Integra 10.5.

Out of the box, no mods or anything, this player is going to take you very close to where you want to be at first crack.

Today's homework will be to register with Onkyo and get them to send me that firmware disc, so I'm all set to go with that.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #190 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Q of BanditZ

The audio is incredible. Everything has been beyond my wildest expectations thus far. I find it rather telling that, again, I STILL feel NO buyer's guilt whatsoever. I know now, 100 percent firsthand, that I bought the best there is within reason for myself. More later...

Edit: WOW!!! SACD and DVD-A I'M THERE!!!! :D Seriously, I can close my eyes and tell you where practically where every instrument is in the room (and where it was on stage.)

What's also gratifying is that, compared to Zenith 318, which I was using for everything via coax digital, my 2 channel, regular CD's also seem to have gotten a bit of a sound qualit boost. I'm able to make out more details and I'm seeing a broader range of soundscape. Certain musical effects, like voices in the King Arthur score by Hans Zimmer, that sounded almost drowned together and tinny, were very clear and distinct on this.

Q,

What's your audio setup? Everything hooked up analog now excect DD and DTS?
post #191 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by epiney
Q,

What's your audio setup? Everything hooked up analog now excect DD and DTS?
Yes. For two channel CD, I'm using analogs and for high-rez, obviously, I'm using multichannel analogs. I'm also experimenting with an idea someone suggested a few pages ago:

I'm also trying home theater DD and DTS through the multichannel analogs as well as the digital and trying to compare and contrast and see if I notice any meaningful differences.

(The idea here being: If the Onkyo's DAC's are superior to my HK 630's, which I don't know, then I might have some benefit running everything except two channel audio through the multichannel analogs.)

Fascinating! :D

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #192 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Ije

Q

I woke up this morning with a feeling I haven't had in years: Remember that feeling you had as a kid after having, say, an amazing Christmas or Hanukkah (sp?) That's the way I feel today. I open up my cabinet and I really can't believe I actually own such an incredible piece of equipment.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yep. You got bitten alright. I know that feeling.

Out of the box and no MODS. And I can almost "see" you grinning from ear to ear. I know I am.

Sounds like an "AMEN" to me.
post #193 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ije
Q

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yep. You got bitten alright. I know that feeling.

Out of the box and no MODS. And I can almost "see" you grinning from ear to ear. I know I am.

Sounds like an "AMEN" to me.
Amen, brutha! :cool:

I called Onkyo after registering the unit this morning. The lady knew right away about the firmware disc, took down my information, and said they were shipping it out to me today. Couldn't be any easier!

Really, it's incredible that a rather expensive piece of equipment like this is SO user friendly and easy to use and setup. Normally, you'd think you were headed for an engineering doctorate to run some equipment you see out there, especially as you move up the price ladder. Not this!

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #194 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 12:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes I also have received confirmation about the firmware disc being sent to me as well. I should have my hands on it by tomorrow. I offered to pay for Saturday shipping. Anyway, I will keep all interested posted...Joe

post #195 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joerodcowboys
Yes I also have received confirmation about the firmware disc being sent to me as well. I should have my hands on it by tomorrow. I offered to pay for Saturday shipping. Anyway, I will keep all interested posted...Joe
Look forward to your feedback. :)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #196 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 12:41 PM
mfb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just read thru this thread and interested in the SP1000. I currently have the 5900 and contemplating the SDI mod. Although, I feel I'm missing some of the audio performance with the 5900. I previously had a Proceed PDMT (with the Vigatec SDI card) through a Key Digital scaler. Still haven't been able to find a DVD player that compares (ok maybe the Ayre) on the audio side. I sold the PMDT to move to a universal player.

I would think the Onkyo is a setup on the audio performance vs the Denon. Has it been confirmed that this player doesn't have the CUE bug (I think it has the Mitsubishi M65776 MPEG2 decoder).?

Saw some additional threads on players able to out 480i on the HDMI output. It this possible on the SP1000.

Thanks,

Marty
post #197 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you do a search right now for Onkyo 1000 or Integra 10.5, you will call up a litany of threads that are probably going to overwhelm you with information. ;) I haven't used my HDMI yet, so I can't answer your question authoritatively. :(

I feel like someone said yes before, but don't take that to the bank just yet.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #198 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 01:43 PM

FYI

The BTB using hdmi <> hdmi is fixed. Not sure if it was the FW or the hidden HDMI menu that allows more custom video settings.

I tried connecting the player to my 26" LCD in the other room using a Monster DVI<>DVI with an audioquest DVI<>HDMI adapter. I do see DVE BTB. I'm assuming the BTB problem is fixed. I needed to adjust the hidden HDMI picture control menu as before.

Audio sync is off on certain DVDs when using HDMI. I tried the s-video and didn't see it. I tried the titles I mentioned earlier on my combo player and didn't see it there.

I hope this is a FW issue or just specific to my unit. I've heard of another case where a 10.5 exhibited this problem. Will be contacting my dealer.
post #199 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
FYI

The BTB using hdmi <> hdmi is fixed. Not sure if it was the FW or the hidden HDMI menu that allows more custom video settings.

I'm reading the instruction rather closely right now. They do say that you should use the Digital out 2 for any HDMI use.

Where is this hidden HDMI menu?

Quote:

I tried connecting the player to my 26" LCD in the other room using a Monster DVI<>DVI with an audioquest DVI<>HDMI adapter. I do see DVE BTB. I'm assuming the BTB problem is fixed. I needed to adjust the hidden HDMI picture control menu as before.

Supposedly, as best I've garnered, the firmware fixes all of these things.

Quote:
[b]

Audio sync is off on certain DVDs when using HDMI. I tried the s-video and didn't see it. I tried the titles I mentioned earlier on my combo player and didn't see it there.
Yes, it is specific to the HDMI. Have you tried compensating for it with either the players' menu settings or your receiver's yet?

Quote:

I hope this is a FW issue or just specific to my unit. I've heard of another case where a 10.5 exhibited this problem. Will be contacting my dealer.
You can call Onkyo themselves right now and they'll send you the FW, no fuss, no muss. ;)

Please let us know how this goes. Good luck! :)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #200 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 02:17 PM

Quote:

I'm reading the instruction rather closely right now. They do say that you should use the Digital out 2 for any HDMI use.

Where is this hidden HDMI menu?

[/b]

Supposedly, as best I've garnered, the firmware fixes all of these things.

Yes, it is specific to the HDMI. Have you tried compensating for it with either the players' menu settings or your receiver's yet?

You can call Onkyo themselves right now and they'll send you the FW, no fuss, no muss. ;)

Please let us know how this goes. Good luck! :) [/b]
The hidden menu is on the player when keys on the remote are pressed for a period of time. They will be given to you when you get the firmware. I did not see those instructions in the manual(or blinded by emotions)

My older Rotel doesn't have adjustments for that kind of delay. I see the sync issues when using coax digital/HDMI audio/mixed analog and HDMI video. The delay is negligible when using composite video.

The audio sync problems are better or worse on certain DVDs and at specific areas.

I do like the audio/video performance, but the AV sync issue is very irritating.
post #201 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The hidden menu is on the player when keys on the remote are pressed for a period of time. They will be given to you when you get the firmware. I did not see those instructions in the manual(or blinded by emotions)

These are different commands vs. how to adjust resolution I take it? Because the manual does cover how to do that at least.

Quote:

My older Rotel doesn't have adjustments for that kind of delay. I see the sync issues when using coax digital/HDMI audio/mixed analog and HDMI video. The delay is negligible when using composite video.

Is your audio coming out of the Digtal 2 area vs. Digital 1? The instructions, for whatever reason, clearly indicate that HDMI users should have any coax or optical coming out of Digital 2 and adjust the menu options for that accordingly.

After that, again, have you tried using either the player's or your receivers methods for compensating for this AV delay? (I'm hoping I don't have to deal with this mess myself, btw. ;) )

Quote:

The audio sync problems are better or worse on certain DVDs and at specific areas.

Not really a surprise.

Quote:

I do like the audio/video performance, but the AV sync issue is very irritating.
You probably have already tried everything. I hope you get the firmware ASAP, because that's probably going to go a longs ways towards helping you, in addition to the menu options for both the player and your receiver.

:)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #202 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The hidden menu is on the player when keys on the remote are pressed for a period of time. They will be given to you when you get the firmware.
???
I have the firmware update; the only instructions are for loading the firmware. There's no mention of a "menu," or anything else -- just 12 steps for loading the firmware. It also says "Do not attempt to use the remote control buttons" (during firmware loading).

"I am determined to be cheerful & happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions & not upon our circumstances."
Martha Washington
post #203 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder where our big three are on this? Larry? Greg? Franchot? ;)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #204 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 03:58 PM

The only way I could get BTB adjusted(even after the firmware upgrade that takes 35 minutes) is using a menu not found in the manual.

I'm surprised this wasn't sent out with the firmware. Maybe I got an earlier revision manual...

This mode is only viewable from the unit's display. I havn't hooked up a PC using the serial cable to see if there are hidden service features on that connection.

HDMI Picture Control mode
HDMI setup
memory 1, 2, 3
etc.

I've tried many things. I have contacted my dealer and will see what can be done from their end. At least the BTB issues was resolved quickly.
post #205 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The only way I could get BTB adjusted(even after the firmware upgrade that takes 35 minutes) is using a menu not found in the manual.
So how do you access that hidden menu?

"I am determined to be cheerful & happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions & not upon our circumstances."
Martha Washington
post #206 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 04:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

If there is a HDMI pic control mode I haven't found it yet. I am waiting for my firmware disc, but you would think customer service would have told us about a secret HDMI menu. It would be nice if there was one!

post #207 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joerodcowboys
If there is a HDMI pic control mode I haven't found it yet. I am waiting for my firmware disc, but you would think customer service would have told us about a secret HDMI menu. It would be nice if there was one!
This is most disconcerting. It does seem *knock on wood*, that you and a gentleman in the Integra 10.5 thread are the only ones thus far reporting a problem like this. I'd like to hope that it's a software issue and/or MAYBE you both have defective units. It may not even be that bad.

Heh, I'm sure not going to be looking for it, I'll tell ya that, as I've been nothing but blown away thus far. ;)

FWIW, I have a June 2004 build, according to the sticker on the back of the unit.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #208 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 05:48 PM

Quote:
This is most disconcerting. Should I just anticipate having this problem to deal with when I hook up my HDMI-DVI cable next week? It sounds like this is a common problem. Heh, I'm sure not going to be looking for it, I'll tell ya that, as I've been nothing but blown away thus far. ;)

FWIW, I have a June 2004 build, according to the sticker on the back of the unit.
Check the installed FW using the instructions I posted earlier. I believe the new version is 1.20. Maybe for my display, I needed more fine tuning. It was definitely clipping on the HDMI output before I adjusted it.

I would've thought Onkyo didn't want to repeat a Denon 5900 type of situation with their flagship model.

So far, I've seen the sync problem on ~5 DVDs, but haven't used the player that much. Best thing to use is Superbit DVDs.

Maybe I just got a bad unit...
post #209 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
From what I hear, the FW is being sent out to owners.

I'm curious what FW version are being shipped with sp1000/10.5 units?

DISCLAIMER: TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Press these keys together while the player is off(standby).

[STOP] + [DISPLAY] + [VIDEO CIRCUITRY OFF]

Press [DISPLAY] once to bring up FW version. Any other button on the unit should cancel this display mode.

I have noticed audio sync issues with a few DVDs. Need to determine if the problem is hardware, software, or inherent with the DVD. AV sync control does not seem to have enough range(0 - 100ms). It seems some tracks are sync'd and other are off. This is not a scientific observation so no flames please.

It has been noted in the forums and by authorized dealer that the Onkyo AV sync control has little affect on digital outputs. I haven't tested the analog 5.1 audio output, yet.
I trust the FW version simply scrolls across the display panel of the unit itself? I'll try this procedure if you think it's safe to do and tell you what FW I have right now.

Edit: Actually I did try this and nothing happened at all. Do I hold the buttons down? For how long? I really don't want to be rough with this unit or screw it up.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #210 of 1207 Old 11-19-2004, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
I wonder where our big three are on this? Larry? Greg? Franchot? ;)
You're on your own, Eric. :) I don't have one of these players, remember? It sounds like they added some HDMI pic adjustments with the new firmware and you have to use the LED readout like when using the special key hold-down to set fixed HDMI->DVI resolutions. You should have gotten a separate piece of paper (manual addendum) in the box that explains this (not the new stuff Sting is talking about).

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page