Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #721 of 738 Old 09-22-2005, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have searched thru the treads on this player to no avail for any info on the problem I am having. I am using this player, remote hacked to 1080i over component hooked to a Toshiba 50H81 RPTV.

My 941, which I have had for about 6 weeks is showing a problem on 1080i over component. It is a diagonal streak(s) that move across the screen rather quickly. They show up on the Samsung splash screen and during parts of some movies. Quick action and bright scenes cover them...........but a shot in a dark room with people talking they are noticeable. I tried changing cables, (used the ones that were hooked to HDTiVo as it displays stills at 1080i no problem) but nothing. I unhooked the player and brought it into the bedroom where I have a Samsung 26" HD set. Looks rock solid on that set...........so I am thinking it is a interreaction between my Toshiba RPTV and the player..........has anyone else had this issue?? How about a comment on my theory?? I have read the posts about the DCDi giving macroblocking problems on certain sets, but nothing like this..............BTW, I am using the new firmware, the problem was there before and after the update.

I am thinking of going with a Zenith 318, but if the problem lies in the chipset, don't these have the same chipset, and therefor would have the same problem??

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 738 Old 09-22-2005, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 201
The problem seems is your RPTV's ability to sync with the slightly off standard timing signals from HD941. I've see quite a few reports of similar issues with analog TVs (mostly Sony CRTs) with various brand of DVD players. It has nothing to do with marcoblocking or DCDi chipset.
post #723 of 738 Old 09-22-2005, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121
The problem seems is your RPTV's ability to sync with the slightly off standard timing signals from HD941. I've see quite a few reports of similar issues with analog TVs (mostly Sony CRTs) with various brand of DVD players. It has nothing to do with marcoblocking or DCDi chipset.
Do you feel that the issue is related to this particular DVD player, or ALL players that output 1080i over component?? In other words, do all players that upconvert over componet have a "slightly off standard timing signals"??

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #724 of 738 Old 09-22-2005, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843
In other words, do all players that upconvert over componet have a "slightly off standard timing signals"??
I don't think so but you have no way to know unless you try them out yourself.
post #725 of 738 Old 09-22-2005, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 554
I'm upconverting over component with the 941 to a Sony XBR910 direct view CRT and I don't have the problem you're discussing. I guess you'd say my Sony syncs, uh, standardly!
post #726 of 738 Old 09-23-2005, 09:22 AM

Liked: 10
On my 941, I have three short, different length, horizontal white lines that appear in the upper left corner only when playing DVDs through my component input. It is a Panny plasma display that never shows these lines any other time. Is it an overscan problem with the DVD player or just a defective player?
post #727 of 738 Old 09-25-2005, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't why, but the problem is gone for now................while thinking about synch issues I wondered if the 3:2 signal processing would have anything do with it. I would think that it would not function on a 1080i signal, but if the 1080i isn't a "standard" signal perhaps it might have an effect??

Well, I went into the menu and set the film/video mode to video, and power cycled both the player and the set........the lines were gone. I went back to the film mode to see if I could recreate the problem, but it did not come back.

Now mind you, I spent a couple of hours checking possible problems........switched inputs on tv, switched cables, ran the DVD direct to TV (was switched thru Denon 3803) nothing helped. I do not know why, but the lines are gone.................for now.

post #728 of 738 Old 10-08-2005, 11:39 AM

Liked: 12
I just bought an 841 and I'm very happy with it apart from one minor problem. When searching forward at 8x speed (eg. to skip over ads in something recorded from TV) if I hit play when the program comes back it starts playing a full 30 seconds into the program. It also does it in reverse search, but in the opposite direction.

I've done some experimenting and it looks like the picture displayed in 8x search is 30 seconds behind where it's reading from the disc. For example, if the place I want to search to is at 6:00 and I start searching forward from the beginning of the disc I don't see the scene that should be at 6:00 until the counter reads 6:30. The other serach speeds have the same problem, but the offset is in proportion to the speed.

I've tried an number of pressed and recorded DVDs and they all do the same thing. I had the same problem with the Cyberhome 655 upconverting DVD player and returned it because of it. No other DVD player I've used has done this.

I believe the Cyberhome uses the same Zoran chip set as the Samsung. Does the 941 have the same problem?
post #729 of 738 Old 10-09-2005, 12:41 PM

I noticed this as well. It seems that once it picks up speed it can't stop at the position you select it at. I noticed this with the 941, but this has a Faroudja chip. My 941 turned out to be defective and I returned it, although when it played it's P.Q. was fantastic!
post #730 of 738 Old 11-07-2005, 06:19 PM

Does anyone know where I can buy an HD941 now, either B&M or online? Can't seem to find them on Amazon either.

Thanks!
post #731 of 738 Old 11-07-2005, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufaddal
Does anyone know where I can buy an HD941 now, either B&M or online? Can't seem to find them on Amazon either.

Thanks!
I do. Send me an e-mail outside the forum at pshabe@araonline.net.
post #732 of 738 Old 12-06-2005, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just downloaded:

20050310083646750_DVD_HD941

Is that the latest firmware? How do I know which firmware my player has? Thanks :)
post #733 of 738 Old 12-07-2005, 06:04 AM

2 questions : What does latest firmware get you? (do you just put the download on a cd & load into the player somehow?)
&
Is there a way to 'repeat' a music CD in the player just thru the remote (not with TV on)? I use this as a music player & couldn't find anything in the manual or on remote...thanks!

(BTW, anyone tested the $79 Toshiba with HDMI out that's at Costco vs this Sammy?)
post #734 of 738 Old 01-15-2006, 09:57 AM

Has anyone figured out a way to "kill" the HDMI audio not supported message that repeatedly pops up on the screen?

Jim
post #735 of 738 Old 01-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Golden
Has anyone figured out a way to "kill" the HDMI audio not supported message that repeatedly pops up on the screen?

Jim
You can either use the PCM digital audio setting, or shut of the "screen messages" setting in the display setup menu.
Turning off the messages only works 'till the player is shut off and disables the HDMI select function on the remote. If PCM audio is used, your receiver won't get 5.1 surround, just stereo through the digital out.
This is how it works with my Pioneer plasma.
post #736 of 738 Old 03-29-2006, 06:32 AM

Hey-I'm gonna get the Toshiba HD-A1 hiDef DVD player. What are the rest of U 941-ers gonna do? Am I just nuts or is there real interest in those early adopters out there? Just curious...
post #737 of 738 Old 08-09-2006, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsancak
are there anyone able to make 941 multiregion ???
After months of looking for a way to make the 941 region-free, I finally found a method that works. Oddly enough, I found the directions on amazon which somebody was kind enough to post. I used this method last night and I can vouch that it works. Anyways, here are the directions

Reviewer: C. Waters (USA) - See all my reviews

I researched many upscaling players--including others from Samsung, including the 841 and 950--and decided on the HD941. I've only had the player for a few weeks now, but am very impressed and happy with it. PQ is excellent, even on an HDTV that supposedly does its own upscaling (the Samsung HL-P5063W).

A bonus was being able to make the player region-free using (sometimes conflicting) experiences found elsewhere on the Internet and some of my own ingenuity. I'm posting my detailed experiences here so that others can make their player region-free. The steps may appear long and complicated, but they took less than five minutes to peform.

The most-recent experiences indicate that an Aiwa remote is required to make the 941 region-free. That worked for me! I would love to know why an Aiwa remote is able to do this and how anyone could have stumbled upon this discovery!

Actually, I programmed my Harmony 676 remote to *emulate* the Aiwa remote and then used the Harmony to make my 941 region-free. Talk about multiple levels of indirection!

The Harmony requires the model number of a *device*, not a remote. Not knowing which Aiwa device(s) use the RC-6AS14 remote, I Google'd for "Aiwa RC-6AS14 remote control". One of the hits took me to http://www.dvdremotecontrols.com/Mfr...S14.htm--which not only provided a screen shot of the remote, but also listed the Aiwa devices that the remote actually controls!

I programmatically added the first Aiwa device (the CX-NA10--a "Mini System (DVD)") to my Harmony, and then I performed the following steps:

Note: Make sure the 941 is off. Make sure there is no DVD in the drive.

Using the 941 remote:
1. Turn the player on.
2. Press the OPEN/CLOSE button. The drive door will open.

Using the Harmony remote:
3. Press the DEVICE button.
4. Press the NEXT button until the "Mini System (DVD)" device appears next to one of the soft buttons.
5. Press the "Mini System (DVD)" soft button.
6. Press the NEXT button until "Repeat" appears next to one of the soft buttons. (I had to press the NEXT button seven times to cycle through the choices.)
7. Press the "Repeat" soft button.
8. Press the NEXT button until "Program" appears next to one of the soft buttons. (I had to press the NEXT button eight times to cycle through the choices.)
9. Press the "Program" soft button.
10. Press the NEXT button until "Clock" appears next to one of the soft buttons. (I had to press the NEXT button three times to cycle through the choices.)
11. Press the "Clock" soft button.

The player's LCD will display "ADJUST". There was also a brief mention of something about a 'servo adjustment complete' on the TV.

I used the 941's remote to press "9" (as others have instructed), but this didn't have a visible effect. The drive door did not close. Doesn't hurt to do it, I suppose.

12. Using the buttons on the player, close the drive door and power it down.

Upon powering up the 941, I could play other regions' DVDs. I also double-checked that my own region's DVDs still played ok.

I added the 941 to my Harmony remote and both it and the player itself have been working great!

Notes:
-I just purchased my 941 from Amazon.com; not sure which firmware version I have, but I assume it's a relatively current one.

-Other people's experiences said I would need to press a SHIFT button on the Aiwa remote prior to pressing the Repeat, Program, and Clock button--in order to generate the appropriate signals. Since the Harmony emulated the *functions* of the Aiwa remote and not the actual *buttons*, I did not need to emulate or press a SHIFT key.
post #738 of 738 Old 08-09-2006, 08:04 AM

I had been using an Aiwa remote to do this, but a few months ago after reading the review on Amazon, it gave me the idea to program the Aiwa functions into my One For All universal remote. It works great.
esteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonNYC
After months of looking for a way to make the 941 region-free, I finally found a method that works. Oddly enough, I found the directions on amazon which somebody was kind enough to post. I used this method last night and I can vouch that it works. Anyways, here are the directions

Reviewer: C. Waters (USA) - See all my reviews

I researched many upscaling players--including others from Samsung, including the 841 and 950--and decided on the HD941. I've only had the player for a few weeks now, but am very impressed and happy with it. PQ is excellent, even on an HDTV that supposedly does its own upscaling (the Samsung HL-P5063W).

A bonus was being able to make the player region-free using (sometimes conflicting) experiences found elsewhere on the Internet and some of my own ingenuity. I'm posting my detailed experiences here so that others can make their player region-free. The steps may appear long and complicated, but they took less than five minutes to peform.

The most-recent experiences indicate that an Aiwa remote is required to make the 941 region-free. That worked for me! I would love to know why an Aiwa remote is able to do this and how anyone could have stumbled upon this discovery!

Actually, I programmed my Harmony 676 remote to *emulate* the Aiwa remote and then used the Harmony to make my 941 region-free. Talk about multiple levels of indirection!

The Harmony requires the model number of a *device*, not a remote. Not knowing which Aiwa device(s) use the RC-6AS14 remote, I Google'd for "Aiwa RC-6AS14 remote control". One of the hits took me to http://www.dvdremotecontrols.com/Mfr...S14.htm--which not only provided a screen shot of the remote, but also listed the Aiwa devices that the remote actually controls!

I programmatically added the first Aiwa device (the CX-NA10--a "Mini System (DVD)") to my Harmony, and then I performed the following steps:

Note: Make sure the 941 is off. Make sure there is no DVD in the drive.

Using the 941 remote:
1. Turn the player on.
2. Press the OPEN/CLOSE button. The drive door will open.

Using the Harmony remote:
3. Press the DEVICE button.
4. Press the NEXT button until the "Mini System (DVD)" device appears next to one of the soft buttons.
5. Press the "Mini System (DVD)" soft button.
6. Press the NEXT button until "Repeat" appears next to one of the soft buttons. (I had to press the NEXT button seven times to cycle through the choices.)
7. Press the "Repeat" soft button.
8. Press the NEXT button until "Program" appears next to one of the soft buttons. (I had to press the NEXT button eight times to cycle through the choices.)
9. Press the "Program" soft button.
10. Press the NEXT button until "Clock" appears next to one of the soft buttons. (I had to press the NEXT button three times to cycle through the choices.)
11. Press the "Clock" soft button.

The player's LCD will display "ADJUST". There was also a brief mention of something about a 'servo adjustment complete' on the TV.

I used the 941's remote to press "9" (as others have instructed), but this didn't have a visible effect. The drive door did not close. Doesn't hurt to do it, I suppose.

12. Using the buttons on the player, close the drive door and power it down.

Upon powering up the 941, I could play other regions' DVDs. I also double-checked that my own region's DVDs still played ok.

I added the 941 to my Harmony remote and both it and the player itself have been working great!

Notes:
-I just purchased my 941 from Amazon.com; not sure which firmware version I have, but I assume it's a relatively current one.

-Other people's experiences said I would need to press a SHIFT button on the Aiwa remote prior to pressing the Repeat, Program, and Clock button--in order to generate the appropriate signals. Since the Harmony emulated the *functions* of the Aiwa remote and not the actual *buttons*, I did not need to emulate or press a SHIFT key.
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page