DVD/Disney DVD problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-10-2004, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Toshiba SD-3805 connected via component cables directly to a Mitsubishi WD62725 DLP TV. All DVD's play fine in progressive scan except two Disney DVD's(so far), Lion King and Beauty and the Beast.

The problem is that the pictures flickers(not pixeling). If you setup through the frames one at a time every other frame is different. For discussion sake, the odd frames are sharp and look OK. The even frames look much less sharp and seem to show a color shift.

Some other clues:

-Does not happen with progressive off(interlaced)
-Happens only during the main body of the movie and the actual movie titles but not during the previews, THX, and titles that are not part of the original movie.
-Is not a problem on tons of other movies.
-Talked to Disney technical staff at length they could offer only that it may be an incompatibility issue with that Toshiba DVD player model.
-Contacted Toshiba and they suggested unplugging unit for 5 minutes. Made no improvement.

Need some input from so of you real knowledgeable folks before I run out and buy a new DVD player. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-10-2004, 07:29 PM

Sounds like a firmware incompatability issue. You can now get a free firware upgrade from Toshiba as a result of a class action lawsuit.

www.dvdnotice.com
post #3 of 9 Old 12-10-2004, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks and I hope your post will help others but unfortunately I purchased my player after December 31, 2001 and that is the cutoff date. Maybe they think they fixed it by that date. Guess what, they did not for all DVD's. I'll call a service center and see what they say about my problem and available firmware. With the low price of even good DVD players these days, paying for repair doesn't make sense.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-10-2004, 09:30 PM

Actually, you can get the upgrade if you purchased your Toshiba DVD player before October 14, 2004. When did you purchase it?
post #5 of 9 Old 12-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 868
rjg41,
There are a number of Disney DVDs that have the "Alternating 3:2 Flags" problem due to the particular DVD mastering system they used. This happens when the DVD data includes the "optional" DVD flags that indicate the content is sourced from film and thus has a 24 frames per second cadence, but the flags are not uniform. Instead the flags come and go despite the fact that the material is all film based.

Many DVD players work fine if the flags are dependable, and also work fine if there are no flags (the player detects the film cadence directly), but there are some players that get confused if the flags come and go. The player incorrectly treats the periodic transition to no flags as indicating video based source material (30 frames per second cadence), and is too slow to realize the optional flags are actually faulty.

Check the Secrets of Home Video web site's benchmark of your player to see if it fails the "Alternating 3:2 Flags" test. If so, there may be a firmware upgrade to make your player react better to this type of "problem" DVD.

The Pioneer Elite 59avi DVD player has this problem, but there is a workaround. For these particular problem films you can set the player to stick in "film" processing mode so the alternating flags don't confuse it. Your player may offer a similar workaround.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-11-2004, 07:36 PM

Its funny you mention incompatabilities with the Pioneer, as there is a pending class action alleging that Pioneer DVD Players (not limited to the DV59) are incompatible with the DVD Forum DVD Video standard as well.

www.pioneerdvdclassaction.com
post #7 of 9 Old 12-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Makanmata,
Be that as it may -- and a quick look at that site would lead me to believe this is a pretty classic case of a poor use of the courts -- I don't think there's any reasonable observer who would consider the 59avi's problem with these particular Disney DVDs as showing some sort of culpable indifference to the DVD standards.

Disney was not trying to make use of some advanced feature here. Disney was just being sloppy. These DVDs are not "advanced"; they're poorly made.

Some players do a better job at handling poorly mastered DVDs, i.e., corrrecting for problems in the mastering of the DVDs. Many many players fail to correct for DVDs that abuse the 3:2 flags in this fashion.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #8 of 9 Old 12-12-2004, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Wheres teh lawsuit against Disney for issuing improperly flagged DVD releases?

Or maybe the manufacturer of the mastering equipment that improperly handled the flags in teh first place?

Bob, its not just poor use of the courts, its downright fraudulent use of our court system.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-12-2004, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

My player offers no way around the problem except to play in interlaced mode. I am contacting a Toshiba service center tomorrow to see if they have a solution that is reasonable cost. Considering that I originally purchased it for a stantard TV with HDTV in the future and now I have a Mitsubishi WD62725 DLP, maybe a better player would be the best.
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page