Oppo DV971H Faroudja DCDi - Page 206 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6151 of 6158 Old 01-22-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I saved an DV971H from a child's playroom today. I was looking around at a local swap meet and surprisingly found one amongst a stack of cheapie mini-CyberHome and Magnavox players. I "unearthed" the Oppo from the stack and as I was looking it over a guy with his wife/gf and young child kept eying it and I overheard him whispering that the player would fit perfectly in their kid's room. At that point I couldn't not take a chance and got the seller down from $20 to $15 and snagged it up.

It's not in perfect condition on the outside, but it works without a hitch and is very clean on the inside. It feels comfortable now with its older brother, the 80H.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 6158 Old 01-22-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got one in a box, mint. I wonder what it would sell for on videogon?
post #6153 of 6158 Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 PM

Resurrecting a VERY old thread . . . My old 971H may have died. After years of faithful service, it now has acquired a pinkish cast to parts of the screen that should be white or off white. Cycling through the various resolutions doesn't really change the result. Is it likely I have a video processing chip that has blown (or his heading south), or might this be salvageable? If the former, what's my next step of loyalty with Oppo. Have their original Blu-Ray player in a different room from the 971, but use the PS3 for Blu-Ray in the 971's room. Could just rely on the PS3, but I'm not as keen on it as a DVD player. The Oppo also is (or was, sadly) region free.
post #6154 of 6158 Old 10-03-2011, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry your trusty 871H broke. I still have mine in the box in my closet, mint. I keep it in case I need a player while having another repaired, which has happened only once. Having it around is worth more to me than the small amount I'd probably get if I sold it. BUT, if someone had a decent power cord they wanted to trade, that might interest me.
post #6155 of 6158 Old 10-04-2011, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Koegel View Post

Resurrecting a VERY old thread . . . My old 971H may have died. After years of faithful service, it now has acquired a pinkish cast to parts of the screen that should be white or off white. Cycling through the various resolutions doesn't really change the result. Is it likely I have a video processing chip that has blown (or his heading south), or might this be salvageable? If the former, what's my next step of loyalty with Oppo. Have their original Blu-Ray player in a different room from the 971, but use the PS3 for Blu-Ray in the 971's room. Could just rely on the PS3, but I'm not as keen on it as a DVD player. The Oppo also is (or was, sadly) region free.

It would be worth a call to Oppo to see if they will repair it. They usually offer a flat rate for the repair.
post #6156 of 6158 Old 10-04-2011, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll give them a call.
post #6157 of 6158 Old 10-05-2011, 04:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
nice to see an old thread revisited. I bought my son one of these as a wedding gift back when they were hot. My how times have changed in just a few short years.
post #6158 of 6158 Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone here would like to have an "as new" 971H as a "kids", spare, backup or second room DVD player, I'd be glad to trade for a decent power cord for my DVD player. I have 13 years of 100% positive feedback at Audiogon.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page