I-O Data AVeL LinkPlayer2 FAQ - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1408 Old 01-31-2005, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You'll need to adjust overscan within your display. I'm using the Linkplayer and a PT-L500U projector and have under 3% overscan. I could be way off but I don't know of any DVD player (especially sub $300) that has overscan adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1408 Old 01-31-2005, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
No, in general DVD players do not have overscan adjustment, but good ones at least do NOT ADD overscan, like the Linkplayer apparently does. On your projector, you should theoretically be able to get to 0% overscan, and see ALL the pixels, but since the Linkplayer (for some unknown reason) effectively applies a "pre" overscan, you can't adjust it out. That's why you can only get it down to 3%. This means that even if you set the Linkplayer for 720p resolution, the projector will NOT see 1280x720 due to the overscan applied. 3% will be cropped off. It is a shame that you cannot achieve "pixel-perfect" display for your 1280x720 projector.

And the Linkplayer is somewhat different from your typical DVD player. First, it is High Def, and second, it can play network streams (High def as well as SD...) The Roku HD1000, which is similar but without the DVD drive, has a very nice and easy to use overscan adjustment. You can even adjust it to UNDER-scan if you want to counter-balance overscan that cannot be adjusted at the display.

Completely user-adjustable overscan would be the best solution, but simply removing the existing overscan would probably suffice.

- Frank
post #93 of 1408 Old 01-31-2005, 02:30 PM

So how does the picture quality of this player compare to other progressive scan component players? I'm interested in hooking this up to my 42" Panny (7UY) via component.

I love the idea behind all the networking features on this box, but if the PQ suffers then all the extra features don't matter at all.

Thx,
Jason

Visit the Red-Meadow Theater!
post #94 of 1408 Old 01-31-2005, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by potus
No, in general DVD players do not have overscan adjustment, but good ones at least do NOT ADD overscan, like the Linkplayer apparently does. On your projector, you should theoretically be able to get to 0% overscan, and see ALL the pixels, but since the Linkplayer (for some unknown reason) effectively applies a "pre" overscan, you can't adjust it out. That's why you can only get it down to 3%. This means that even if you set the Linkplayer for 720p resolution, the projector will NOT see 1280x720 due to the overscan applied. 3% will be cropped off. It is a shame that you cannot achieve "pixel-perfect" display for your 1280x720 projector.

And the Linkplayer is somewhat different from your typical DVD player. First, it is High Def, and second, it can play network streams (High def as well as SD...) The Roku HD1000, which is similar but without the DVD drive, has a very nice and easy to use overscan adjustment. You can even adjust it to UNDER-scan if you want to counter-balance overscan that cannot be adjusted at the display.

Completely user-adjustable overscan would be the best solution, but simply removing the existing overscan would probably suffice.

- Frank

I understand what you're saying, but it's not out there in this price range. If you want a "pixel-perfect" display, then you're gonna need something with DVI or HDMI.

At under 3% I'm still far far less overscan that what's built into almost every rear projection HD display on the market.

If you're looking for something that has this feature take a look at the Malata's. They have a player that has overscan correction.
post #95 of 1408 Old 01-31-2005, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by CoolCanuck
So how does the picture quality of this player compare to other progressive scan component players? I'm interested in hooking this up to my 42" Panny (7UY) via component.

I love the idea behind all the networking features on this box, but if the PQ suffers then all the extra features don't matter at all.

Thx,
Jason

I previously owned the Samsung HD841 and the Denon 910 (with Faroudja) and the picture quality from the Linkplayer beats them both easily. A couple people here in this thread have commented that it's as good as the highly regarded Zenith DVB318.

YMMV
post #96 of 1408 Old 01-31-2005, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We've tested 1440x1080p anamorphic WMV9 content on this player. It plays back fine.

Cheers, Kermee
post #97 of 1408 Old 01-31-2005, 05:21 PM

tom don't forget that you've upgraded your dvd drive. My epo dvd drive was doing funny things with movies and i too upgraded it, definitely well worth the 30 bux i spent. Fixed all of the previous issues i had with dvd's. and reads and loads a lot faster. Only downfall is that it is extremely loud on startup, which is gone once the movie actually loads. What i don't get and i've emailed iodata about this is how come they havent' upgraded the firmware for the epo loader, it's the exact same loader in the momitsu but momitsu has a firmware release that actually upgrades the loader, which i'm sure someone can easily disect and load it as a bin file through a pc.

as for picture quality it is easily as good as the momitsu through dvi except that the momitsu seemed just a tad more vibrant with colors, and i've purchased the zenith but didn't like it, and also the oppo and didn't like it. Well that's just from my experience others may tend to disagree.
post #98 of 1408 Old 01-31-2005, 07:34 PM

Quote:

JaredB I had this same problem due to an Audio Authority Model 1154

Interesting...I have a copperbox, too. I now have it plugged directly into my receiver, so I will have to test it again.
post #99 of 1408 Old 01-31-2005, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by spyfy
I understand what you're saying, but it's not out there in this price range. If you want a "pixel-perfect" display, then you're gonna need something with DVI or HDMI.

At under 3% I'm still far far less overscan that what's built into almost every rear projection HD display on the market.

If you're looking for something that has this feature take a look at the Malata's. They have a player that has overscan correction.

I couldn't disagree with you more. First, you can ABSOLUTELY get pixel-perfect display via component. No reason why you can't. You don't NEED DVI or HDMI. You just need to be able to adjust the timing, which you can do either at the source, or at the display. (I admit DVI would be nice, though, and probably make this issue moot. The Japanese version has DVI... I wonder why we got the D4 version?)

Second, this feature should NOT add significant cost to the Linkplayer. It is almost CERTAINLY just a software issue. I would be extremely surprised to find that this very capable chip does not support user-programmable scan timing.

As far as cost goes, the Roku HD1000, which HAS this feature, can be purchased at Amazon for $279. And that is > 1yr old design. This capability should be doable at the Linkplayer's price point. In many other ways, the newer chip in the Linkplayer beats the Roku hands down. It ought to be able to do overscan adjustment.

Like I said, at the very least, there should be an option to omit the overscan added by the Linkplayer. This should be trivial to implement in firmware.

The ONLY reason IOData may not work on this, is if they _think_ noone cares about it. Afterall, they have to prioritize what to work on. Well, I for one, DO care. I would think that others (particularly owners of 1280x720 fixed pixel displays) would care, too.

Based on what I have read here, it seems this company is fairly responsive to user feedback. I am actually fairly optimistic that this feature may become available at some point.

Alternatively, any more word on DVI release for US market?
post #100 of 1408 Old 01-31-2005, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Kermee
We've tested 1440x1080p anamorphic WMV9 content on this player. It plays back fine.

What the heck is 1440x1080p? A microsoft thing? Isn't it supposed to be 1920x1080?

Good to hear, though. I was also glad to hear that it can playback 1080i mpeg2 transport streams.
post #101 of 1408 Old 02-01-2005, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Microsoft supports anamorphic tagging. Just like DivX/XviD supports PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) and DAR (Display Aspect Ratio). Most of Microsoft's 1080p WMV9-HD sample materials are 1440x1080p, anamorphic.

With the North American version of the AVLP2, we've been able to play back any common "standard" NTSC ATSC MPEG-2 stream. (i.e. 1080i/29.97, 720p/59.94).

I, personally, have not had any luck with 1080p/25 (PAL) on this particular unit. It will play but it stutters. Other than that, anything you record OTA should play back perfectly fine on this unit.

Cheers, Kermee
post #102 of 1408 Old 02-01-2005, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

We see that once again, this player actually EXCEEDS its printed specs! (spec limits WMV to 720p) Now the only question is whether I buy now, or wait for the DVI version (if it's ever released in US...)
post #103 of 1408 Old 02-01-2005, 07:20 PM

I am currently watching an mpeg2 file on my Linkplayer2 that is currently being created on my PVR computer running SageTV with an Haupauge WinTV PVR USB2 box (Amazing Race if you want to know).

This is really cool. No hick-up. I can Pause, FF, RW, Slow motion, etc all seem to work.

I am accessing the file over the network using the Avel Link Server software installed on the PV PC along with Sage. Would be nice if Sage offered a web interface like the Link Server...
post #104 of 1408 Old 02-01-2005, 07:55 PM

This is really strange. Yesterday I reported that the Enable HD mode browser: off option was causing the display of all content type to be looking a bit strange.

I encoded myself some HD test charts in 480p, 720p & 1080p resolutions and played them back over the network to the player. I tested with the "Enable HD mode browser" option on and off to compare the results and the short conclusion from the test is stick to the ON option (at least if you have an 16:9 set).

Here is the details of the test:

With NO HD:

480p: Is stretched to 16:9 (as described on IO-DATA web site.. I do not like this behavior...). Zoom options have almost no effect except for "Square Pixel" that remove the top and bottom overscan. "Actual Size" or "Full Screen" zoom option gives roughly 10% overscan all around. Note that "Full Screen" move the picture slightly to the left.

720p: The "Actual Size" zoom put some minor black bars at the top and bottom giving the picture a compressed look (certainly not 16:9 aspect ratio... bad). "Square Pixel" make this effect even worst (this look really bad). "Full Screen" zoom is the only properly sized option with 10% overscan all around.

1080p: This is roughly the same as 720p with the exception that the "Square Pixel" option display a ton of white lines all over the image... Like when the refresh rate of a PC monitor is exceeded and the display look all garbled. Again, best mode is "Full Screen" with proper aspect ratio.

With HD option ON:

480p: "Actual Size" option clearly show the proper aspect ratio with black bars all around. Actually the size of the image is like displaying a 720x480 image in the midle of a 1920X1080 (1080HD) black picture. "Fit to screen" option stretch the 4:3 picture so it fill the screen top to bottom with a Top-Bottom overscan of about 10%. The 4:3 aspect ratio is properly maintained therefore there is some small black bars on each side and no left-right overscan. This mode is really cool for watching 480p or 480i content. "Square Pixel" zoom add some small black bars at the top and bottom and eliminate the top-bottom overscan. The picture becomes stretched to 16:9 format. " Full Screen" removes the black bars all around and has a 10% overscan. Aspect ratio is also stretched to 16:9.

Ouf, are you still with me?

720p: "Actial Size", "Fit to Screen" and "Full Screen" all display with roughly 10% overscan all around. "Squate Pixel" add small black bars to the top and bottom therefore squishing the picture and breaking the proper 16:9 ratio.

1080p: Same as 720p. This time the "Square Pixel" option display properly. Strange that the no HD option does not.

Conclusion: Use the HD Browser mode if you want better control of you picture. I also noticed that the overall picture quality of the NO HD option look worst than with HD browser mode ON. Can't explain it. Any ideas?

Note: I encoded all my test patterns in xvid with q2 option. I could make the files available if some of you are interested to reproduce this test. For the record my TV is a Sony 34-KVHS510 CRT. I have the December firmware on my linkplayer. Test files are ranging between 1.5 to 2.5 MBytes in size.
post #105 of 1408 Old 02-02-2005, 01:54 AM

Just following up about the screen jumping problem,
No, I don't have a Sony set. It's a Mits RPTV. I AM using a Zektor hidef switcher. Maybe I'll try bypassing that directly into the TV to see what happens.

If that doesn't work I guess I should contact Avel since it doesn't seem that anyone else has this problem.
post #106 of 1408 Old 02-02-2005, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have the Euro WMV-HD disc of Total Recall? It's supposed to not have any DRM, or so I read in another thread. Wonder if it would play in this unit.
post #107 of 1408 Old 02-04-2005, 11:45 AM

How does this standalone player play High Def Divx, WMV HD files, and transport stream files without stuttering? The specs listed to play these files smoothly on a PC starts at 2.4 GHz. I realize the standalone player doesn't have to deal with the other processes a PC does, but it still seems amazing to me.
post #108 of 1408 Old 02-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know how it does, but it does and does very well.
post #109 of 1408 Old 02-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Dedicated hardware in the Sigma 8620L chip. See link on first page for more details.
post #110 of 1408 Old 02-04-2005, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski
How does this standalone player play High Def Divx, WMV HD files, and transport stream files without stuttering? The specs listed to play these files smoothly on a PC starts at 2.4 GHz. I realize the standalone player doesn't have to deal with the other processes a PC does, but it still seems amazing to me.

You might be surprised to know that many of todays video decoding chip-sets can crunch more numbers than many three year old CPU's!

In fact, the speeds of video chip-sets are now increasing much faster than with CPU's....

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #111 of 1408 Old 02-04-2005, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It also helps by having 3 RISC's and 1 DSP on the Sigma Designs' chip also.

Cheers, Kermee
post #112 of 1408 Old 02-05-2005, 03:39 PM

In the past I have used DVD authoring programs like Sonic MyDVD to create disks with a mixture of video and slides. Of course, it's all limited to 720 by 480 so the stills don't look very good.

Is there good software tools for creating slideshows with misic, transitions, etc. in WMV9 or some other 1080 format that the Avel understands? Of course, freeware is allways best . I realize I can just slideshow a folder but I'd rather create specific slideshows in advance.
post #113 of 1408 Old 02-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Perhaps not the easiest to use - but it is free! - is avisynth with its ImageSource command ImageSource - avisynth syntax and VirtualDub.

/Anders
post #114 of 1408 Old 02-05-2005, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
any chance the linkplayer2 plays back .dvr files from a Media Center 2005 PC?
post #115 of 1408 Old 02-06-2005, 07:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Does anyone know if I made a custom cable from the D4 connector if I'd be able to get HD resolutions to analog RGBHV?

That's one reason the Momitsus are so popular with my fellow CRT projector owners (because no component transcoder is required... we can just tap into the Momitsu's analog pins on its DVI-I connector).

I'd have to make a D4->5BNC cable. All the RGBHV pins are there, but I don't know if the HD signal will be there or if it's limited to 31kHz VGA...

Quote:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

D4 is a type of analog video connector - found on Japanese consumer electronics - typically HDTV,DVD,Bluray,D-VHS and HD-DVD devices. In appearence it is a small flat trapezoid connector. It carries a Component video signal. A device with a D4 connector can understand and display the following video signals : D1 - 525i (480i), D2 - 525p (480p), D3 - 1125i (1080i/1035i), D4 - 750p (720p).

It is possible to use a simple breakout cable to connect a D4 connector to a world standard 3 RCA jack or BNC component connection.

http://ucon64.sourceforge.net/ucon64misc/conn.html

There are so far five D connector types, each a higher resolution than the last. Used primarily for Japanese digital satellite broadcasting, the resolutions are:

D1 525 Interlaced
D2 525 progressive
D3 1125 Interlaced
D4 750 progressive
D5 1125 progressive

Note that each is backward compatible. This means that a D5 TV can display all of these modes, where a D3 TV can only display D1-D3.

1 Audio Right
2 Audio Right GND
3 SP-DIF Digital Audio
4 V-Sync (VGA Mode)
5 Mode GND
6 Mode GND
7 Mode GND
8 GND
9 Variable
10 Pin 9 GND
11 Variable
12 Pin 11 GND
13 Vcc
14 Audio Left
15 Audio Left GND
16 H Sync (VGA Mode)
17 Mode Select 1
18 Mode Select 2
19 Mode Select 3
20 +12v
21 Pin 22 GND
22 Variable
23 Pin 24 GND
24 Variable

NTSC Mono PAL/Secam Mono Component NTSC Stereo VGA (31 kHz RGB) PAL Stereo SCART (15 kHz RGB)
9 - - Pb - B - B
11 Y Y Y Y G Y G
22 C C Pr C R C R
24 V V - V - V S

V = Composite Video
S = Composite Sync
Y = S-video Luma
C = S-video Chroma
Blue = GND
post #116 of 1408 Old 02-06-2005, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

OK, I found the other AVEL thread.

Looks like this has been touched on before...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...70#post4653970
Quote:

Not so long ago I asked Keith Jack this in a PM: -

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, can you confirm whether your DVI ouput connection makes use of "analogue output" pins C1-C5. Or is it "digital only" ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And got the following response: -
quote:
Analog RGB outputs are disabled on the newer chips when playing DVDs. For other content, it is up the manufacturer whether or not to support it.

115 more pages of reading for me
post #117 of 1408 Old 02-06-2005, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Clarence
OK, I found the other AVEL thread.

Looks like this has been touched on before...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...70#post4653970

115 more pages of reading for me

Hi Clarence. Welcome to the LinkPlayer party! Hope the theater build is going well. I have not checked into your thread in a while. Anyway, I have a LinkPlayer in my setup in Leesburg if you ever want to see it in action. BTW, I am planning to move my family room custom projection RP system down to the basement for a dedicated theater soon, so we should get together at some point in the future anyway. I know you went down the RP road for a while.
Let me know if you have any LinkPlayer questions.
Now, back on topic: the D4 standard is that the LinkPlayer outputs is component video, which is a different color space then RGB. While the connector would allow the Y, Pb, and Pr signals to be broken out onto three BNC connectors, this would still not be RGB. If your CRT can take component video or RGB via the BNCs (set up in a menu setting) then you would be fine. I know the Sony D50 I had could do that. (I have since become a traitor and gone to DLP.) Anyway, since the RGBS or RGBHV signal is NOT in the D4 output, you would either need a transcoder or have the ability to transcode in the projector. I cannot recall if the Ehomes do this or not.

Hope all else is well. PM me if you want to meet real-time sometime.
-Mike
post #118 of 1408 Old 02-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

You're showing the correct connector diagram but not pinouts. As in the diagram, there are a total of 14 pins (and there's no audio in the D connectors).

I see now what you did; you're showing the Xbox one. The D4 is bove it:
Code:
1 Y
2 Y GND
3 Pb
4 Pb GND
5 Pr
6 PR GND
7 ? Reserved
8 Line 1
9 Line 2
10 ? Reserved
11 Line 3
12 GND Ground
13 ? Reserved
14 Plug In Flag
It doesn't look like there are Synch signals.

Edit: And Mike pointed out the colorspace difference that I totally missed.

E
post #119 of 1408 Old 02-06-2005, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JaredB
I thought this question might get some more notice here than in the other thread.

It's VERY obvious when it happens. The whole picture jumps for a second, almost as if it's about to start rolling like my old TV that had bad V-hold.

Has anyone else seen this? It seems like a strange thing to happen to only my machine, and yet I haven't heard anyone else talk about it. I never saw it happen with either of my old DVD players.

I looked through about fifty pages of the other monster thread and saw no mention of this so I thought I'd post it here.

Hi:

My problem is with photos. Not noticing any with DVDs. When a bright photo is first fading in, I saw the bright vertical white wave go from the left of the screen and grow to the right. Sometimes it will go away and other times it will stay on half of the screen and shimmering. Very annoying. In the worst case, my TV will think something is trying to change Format/PIP setting. My TV(Mitsubishi RP) don't allow 1080i content to change zoom format or PIP, so it pop an yellow error message.

I called their call center and left several messages. No body ever called back. Emailed Jack and got a reply three, four days later and never heard from him again since.

I'm happy the new firmware fixed my AC3 problem. I wonder if this unit is defective.
post #120 of 1408 Old 02-06-2005, 10:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by mikemav
Hi Clarence. Welcome to the LinkPlayer party! Hope the theater build is going well. I have not checked into your thread in a while. Anyway, I have a LinkPlayer in my setup in Leesburg if you ever want to see it in action. BTW, I am planning to move my family room custom projection RP system down to the basement for a dedicated theater soon, so we should get together at some point in the future anyway. I know you went down the RP road for a while.
Let me know if you have any LinkPlayer questions.
Now, back on topic: the D4 standard is that the LinkPlayer outputs is component video, which is a different color space then RGB. While the connector would allow the Y, Pb, and Pr signals to be broken out onto three BNC connectors, this would still not be RGB. If your CRT can take component video or RGB via the BNCs (set up in a menu setting) then you would be fine. I know the Sony D50 I had could do that. (I have since become a traitor and gone to DLP.) Anyway, since the RGBS or RGBHV signal is NOT in the D4 output, you would either need a transcoder or have the ability to transcode in the projector. I cannot recall if the Ehomes do this or not.

Hope all else is well. PM me if you want to meet real-time sometime.
-Mike

Hi Mike-

The Electrohomes don't have a built in component transcoder. I've got a cheap external one, but it's not good enough for HD HT. Eventually I'll get a good transcoder for my HD cable box and DVHS HD player. I'll just stick to my Momitsu for now for upscaled DVDs.

Have you shopped for RP screens yet? I've got 10' da-lite RP if you want to try it just for test runs. And I've got a couple of high-quality first surface RP mirrors just sitting in the corner. I'm actually tempted to revisit RP myself after seeing the setup at Myer-Emco in Sterling. Go check that baby out.

epsilon, thanks for the pinout info.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page