Forum Jump: 

post #4141 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

Using what resolution? Have you tried different ones?

Since Sex and the City is 4:3, I can only run it at 480p on my set. I've got a Sony 36" 4:3 HD, and if I upconvert, it forces 16:9, which windowboxes all 4:3 material. It only seems to happen on the menus, so it's not a huge deal for me, but the wife is kind of ticked off about it. I did notice it happening near the end of an episode of Futurama last night though (Futurama Vol. 3 - Disc 1 - Bendless Love). It was a couple of scenes within the last 2 or 3 minutes of the episode, sorry, but I don't currently have a timestamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holger237 View Post

Nero Digital works fine. But for using audio you have to change the digital output from "RAW" to "PCM". Sounds logical because an A/V-Receiver doesnt support Nero Digital. Converting is an issue of the Oppo.

@All

This is my first post. So I just like to say hallo to all.

Holger

Welcome aboard!....

thanks for the info on MP4.
post #4143 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 09:57 AM

OK I have a lip sync issue, and a bit of jitters, only noticeable during credits. I'm thoroughly confused right now as to the recent firmware announcements. I'm most concerned with the lipsync. Which firmware should I try?
post #4144 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Well.... I updated to 0302 and watched Harry Potter (Goblet of Fire) last night. Everything looked good at 1080i in terms of video playback. The DVD mastered quality sucks though.... over 2 hours of movie on dual layer DVD just doesn't cut it anymore. This is why I'm looking forward to BR-DVD release. I was expecting better DVD transfer quality after watching the 1080p QT trailers and reason being a newer title release. I was disapointed. I've been spoiled by oppo.... once you've watch good DVD transfer titles with oppo.... poor ones look just unacceptable.
post #4145 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimguy View Post

OK I have a lip sync issue, and a bit of jitters, only noticeable during credits. I'm thoroughly confused right now as to the recent firmware announcements. I'm most concerned with the lipsync. Which firmware should I try?

If you are primarily concerned with audio-syncronization, then you will want to use the F-0220 firmware, as this will have the built in A/V Fix. However, you will experience unwanted visual errrors, such as stuttering (some applications) and intermittent combing and interlacing artifacts.
post #4146 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagrath View Post

I'm getting extremely shaky video during the menus on Sex and the City. Is anyone else experiencing these problems, or know of a way to fix it? I was running the 0220 firmware, but just upgraded to the 0302 version, thinking this may be what has been reffered to as "judder." It appears with both firmwares.

Thanks in advance!

Im sorry but i have to ask:

Are you sure that it's not your hand thats shaking as you watch this show??

hahaha

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #4147 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

Im sorry but i have to ask:

Are you sure that it's not your hand thats shaking as you watch this show??

hahaha

LOL..... that would do it.
post #4148 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I loaded this last night. Reset my setting to Video 2. DVI out to 1080i. I did a quick check for blacker than black and whiter than white. Ended up setting Bright at +1 and contrast at -1 (same as with 0220 and 0228). No problem with that.

Watched about hour on recorded DVD (home recorder). Good and smooth. Lip-sync was ok as well, though when I've had lip-sync problems it's been intermittent and pretty few and far between. Checked about 5 minutes on second home recorder (it has always had the stutters on OPPO, and it still does, but I didn't expect that to change).

Watched just a few minutes of Gettysburg (commercial DVD). I'll watch some more commercial today. But I suspect it will be fine. Usually my home recorded DVD's will show weaknesses at lower threshold than commercial ones.

Rick
post #4149 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

If you are primarily concerned with audio-syncronization, then you will want to use the F-0220 firmware, as this will have the built in A/V Fix. However, you will experience unwanted visual errrors, such as stuttering (some applications) and intermittent combing and interlacing artifacts.

So I am clear on the difference between the two firmware fixes, 0302 firmware removes the fixes for audio-syncronization that the 0220 provided? If so, what would be the advantage to upgrade to the 0302 from the 1111B?
post #4150 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkocher201 View Post

So I am clear on the difference between the two firmware fixes, 0302 firmware removes the fixes for audio-syncronization that the 0220 provided? If so, what would be the advantage to upgrade to the 0302 from the 1111B?

The F-0302 still has the following fixes:

1. Increase audio delay up to 100ms (analog audio output or PCM digital ONLY)
2. Fixed the shifting error on some displays (such as the Sony SXRD line)
3. Fixed PAL 50Hz
4. Fixed PAL "memory loss"
5. Fixed Volume control for analog outputs (volume will now be remembered when the unit is shut down)
6. Longer file names for the Explorer (though this is really broken as the scrolling is too slow).
7. VOD DivX support.
8. Skip Back on Audio CDs now goes back to the beginning of the track, not the previous track.

Basically, if you will be using the analog audio outputs or playing PAL DVDs in their native format, you will want to use the new firmware. If not, then you can keep using the 1111B firmware.
post #4151 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Just upgraded to 302, it fixed my weird subtitle problem where the oppo would choose the 2nd subtitle option and to get the first track you would have to cycle through all the other options first. But something weird happened the first time I popped in a disc, I got no sound. Everything seemed to be hooked up right but I tried again and still no sound. So I changed from raw to pcm and the sound began to work. When I switched back to raw again I now had sound. Everything seems to be okay now, hopefully it won't happen again.
post #4152 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Well.... I updated to 0302 and watched Harry Potter (Goblet of Fire) last night. Everything looked good at 1080i in terms of video playback. The DVD mastered quality sucks though.... over 2 hours of movie on dual layer DVD just doesn't cut it anymore. This is why I'm looking forward to BR-DVD release. I was expecting better DVD transfer quality after watching the 1080p QT trailers and reason being a newer title release. I was disapointed. I've been spoiled by oppo.... once you've watch good DVD transfer titles with oppo.... poor ones look just unacceptable.

Just picked that up last night and watched it on my other tv, with my new Oppo. Glad you mentioned the rather poor transfer/quality , as I felt it was a little noisey. I wasn't sure if it was my TV or not, since that is the first time I had watched a movie over DVI on it. I can't quite place the oddities, but I did notice in the foggy scenes, there was some video noise in they foggy areas. Yet, some parts, usually close ups of people, seem to be pretty sharp.
post #4153 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
[b]Originally Posted by bitemymac
Well.... I updated to 0302 and watched Harry Potter (Goblet of Fire) last night. Everything looked good at 1080i in terms of video playback. The DVD mastered quality sucks though.... over 2 hours of movie on dual layer DVD just doesn't cut it anymore. This is why I'm looking forward to BR-DVD release. I was expecting better DVD transfer quality after watching the 1080p QT trailers and reason being a newer title release. I was disapointed. I've been spoiled by oppo.... once you've watch good DVD transfer titles with oppo.... poor ones look just unacceptable.[b]

Just to let you know, i think it will be awhile before this movie is on br as warner is on the hd dvd side i believe......

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #4154 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumc View Post

Just picked that up last night and watched it on my other tv, with my new Oppo. Glad you mentioned the rather poor transfer/quality , as I felt it was a little noisey. I wasn't sure if it was my TV or not, since that is the first time I had watched a movie over DVI on it. I can't quite place the oddities, but I didn't notice in the foggy scenes, there was some video noise in they foggy areas. Yet, some parts, usually close ups of people, seem to be pretty sharp.

Well....157 minutes of MPEG2 movie is just too much for dual layer DVD disc can handle. MPEG4 would've been very useful. Anyhow, Truelife & Noise Reduction should help alot for this particular DVD title. Once I get home I'll also try this DVD on my Denon 2900, and also with NR activated on oppo.
post #4155 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 12:19 PM

ok so i am not the only one that noticed harry potter was bad. it was the first movie i put in my new oppo (came in the mail yesterday) and i got upset but watched it anyway. i put in shark tale and it was all gravy after that.

Blu-ray exclusive
post #4156 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracemhunter View Post

ok so i am not the only one that noticed harry potter was bad. it was the first movie i put in my new oppo (came in the mail yesterday) and i got upset but watched it anyway. i put in shark tale and it was all gravy after that.

The best title to watch with oppo @ 1080i on 1080p display is Incredibles. Make sure you have the right firmware though... 1224b and later, including the current 0302 does wonders for 1080i. You can see all the facial texture details and all of everything just looks fabulous....... it's closer to true HD than any other 480i DVD titles I've seen.
post #4157 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 01:15 PM

Hi all!

First of all: this is my first posting, so I want to say "Hi" to everyone in this great forum!

Having just copied the new FW0302 I was wonder if anyone managed to change the region code with the "9210" command in setup with tray open ?
The player seems to power off after I pressed the 3rd number....can anyone confirm this?

Thx!

CU

Bigkraut
post #4158 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkraut View Post

Hi all!

First of all: this is my first posting, so I want to say "Hi" to everyone in this great forum!

Having just copied the new FW0302 I was wonder if anyone managed to change the region code with the "9210" command in setup with tray open ?
The player seems to power off after I pressed the 3rd number....can anyone confirm this?

Thx!

CU

Bigkraut

If you are using a BBK/European OPPO remote, the number 2 will act as the power button.
post #4159 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A bit off topic though it is, the relationship between GBs and movie quality is a vexed one. I've seen two hour films with pretty low GBs, say The Incredibles, Serenity, which look great, and others with high GBs which look rubbish (the R2 of Virtigo, for wxample--the R1 has a lower bit-rate and looks 10x as good). My own feeling on this is that SD DVDs have got much, much better over the last year or so and new titles are often very good indeed--but they aren't HD and you shouldn't expect them to be.

Quality with SD DVD is to do with how the film elements are handled far more than the gigs and know doubt it will be the same with HD.

It's a shame about Potter, though: all the reviews of HP Goblet that I've seen give it a pretty high figure for PQ, and as it's Warners it should be good anyway as they are far and away the best DVD authors amongst the major studios. It could be that the thing you are calling 'noise' in dark/foggy scenes is film grain. That happens in dark scenes and it will also be there in HD--unless they manipulate the image--as it's part of the film and caused by the highspeed film used in dark situations.

I'll wait for the PAL release in a couple of weeks.

Don't you think it's misleading for newbies to compare the oppo to HD. They are chalk and cheese, apples and oranges, or whatever.

Dave
post #4160 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The best title to watch with oppo @ 1080i on 1080p display is Incredibles. Make sure you have the right firmware though... 1224b and later, including the current 0302 does wonders for 1080i. You can see all the facial texture details and all of everything just looks fabulous....... it's closer to true HD than any other 480i DVD titles I've seen.

I just did the same thing on a buddy's 45" Sharp 1080p Aquos, but the movie was Monsters Inc - absolutely incredible (pun intended).
post #4161 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkp View Post

A bit off topic though it is, the relationship between GBs and movie quality is a vexed one. I've seen two hour films with pretty low GBs, say The Incredibles, Serenity, which look great, and others with high GBs which look rubbish (the R2 of Virtigo, for wxample--the R1 has a lower bit-rate and looks 10x as good). My own feeling on this is that SD DVDs have got much, much better over the last year or so and new titles are often very good indeed--but they aren't HD and you shouldn't expect them to be.

Quality with SD DVD is to do with how the film elements are handled far more than the gigs and know doubt it will be the same with HD.

It's a shame about Potter, though: all the reviews of HP Goblet that I've seen give it a pretty high figure for PQ, and as it's Warners it should be good anyway as they are far and away the best DVD authors amongst the major studios. It could be that the thing you are calling 'noise' in dark/foggy scenes is film grain. That happens in dark scenes and it will also be there in HD--unless they manipulate the image--as it's part of the film and caused by the highspeed film used in dark situations.

I'll wait for the PAL release in a couple of weeks.

Don't you think it's misleading for newbies to compare the oppo to HD. They are chalk and cheese, apples and oranges, or whatever.

Dave

It's true SD DVD's have improved and this is how we can pick out the bad ones in comparision. A lot of times, upconverting/upscaling bad quality DVD's make things worse than leaving them as 480p or 480i, unless signal is manipulated with filters and enhancements which oppo offers. However, even the studios do this when they re-release digitally mastered/enhaced DVD's, and I'm sure if HP series ever make it out on the HD format DVD's, it will be enhanced. You'll probably disagree with me, but compression rate of dvd title contents does matter and will reflect on the PQ. Or else...why would we need new formats of DVD/optical disc that stores 25x more storage than current DVD to show better quality picture?
Anyway, I don't remember seeng that much GB at the theather or 1080p trailer, so my bets are on the DVD.
post #4162 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 03:34 PM
GSB
AVS Special Member

We've had a sudden influx of new posters. Welcome one and all!

Gary
post #4163 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 03:35 PM
GSB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickB101 View Post

I just recieved my dvd player. i noticed some pretty bad microblock on the panny 900u. I remember there being a downloaded guide somewhere on the AVS forum can someone point me to that ? THere is almost to much content to filter though in the huge oppo threads.

See my next post.

Gary
post #4164 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 03:36 PM
GSB
AVS Special Member

Here is an updated guide to suppressing the macroblock-enhance bug... a slimmed-down version of my previous post. For the newcomers, please note that there is a difference between macroblocking recorded on the disk (a compression artifact which cannot be fixed), and the Faroudja "macroblock-enhance" bug. (See the links below for a description and examples):
  1. Set the OPPO's Brightness and Contrast controls at their default values (0) to prevent the possiblity of false contouring (banding). Select the RGB colorspace to eliminate the possibility of green color tints if your display applies colorspace incorrectly.
  2. The most important step is to properly calibrate your display to use its FULL range of available contrast. This made BY FAR the biggest improvement on both of my DLP sets. If you do the calibration yourself, use Avia or DVE, and at the very least, calibrate the brightness, contrast, and saturation. If you skip this step with any player, you will not be getting a good picture. For best results, you should also calibrate grayscale and gamma in your display’s Service Menu (ideally by an ISF-qualified calibrator). Otherwise, pick the "Cinema/Theater/Movie" mode in the User Menu, and turn off any image "enhancement" circuits (like Samsung's DNIe) before you start tweaking.
  3. If you are seeing macroblocking in black/dark areas, it can help to set the TV's brightness one or two clicks below the ideal setting. An easy way to do this, is to enable the screensaver. After each OPPO logo fades away, if you can see any oval ghosts left behind, turn the brightness down until they just disappear. Do this every time you make a change to the contrast.
  4. Turn OFF the OPPO's "Truelife" and "Noise Reduction" features.
  5. Tweak the OPPO's Saturation control a few clicks in either direction and pick the setting that best suppresses the macroblock-enhance. (As you adjust the Saturation control between min and max values, the macroblocking comes and goes in cycles, it does not increase in a linear fashion). Then compensate for the saturation changes by adjusting the display's saturation control. (The controls on my display also affect the severity of the macroblocking, but to a smaller degree). Note that the Avia RGB filters were designed with CRT color primaries in mind. DLP and other technologies have slightly different primaries, so the Saturation result may not be 100% accurate for those display types. My DLP looks best with Saturation set to -10%. Trust your eyes to help you pick a Saturation setting that looks the most natural, not necessarily the most vibrant, particularly in skin tones.
  6. Once you've done all these tweaks, you can play with the OPPO's "Noise Reduction" feature, which can also suppress digital noise and macroblocking on badly encoded disks. Set it back to "OFF" afterward, because this feature causes minor "ghosting" in fast-moving images.
Here are a few related posts that may prove useful: Gary
post #4165 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 04:29 PM

Like almost everyone else in here, I am an early adopter and often find myself with more disposable income than common sense. My first experience with a set-top DVD player that offered regular firmware updates was with the Momitsu v880. It was playing with that unit that made me understand (more accurately brought it home) that this was more like playing around with a modded home-built PC than your average piece of consumer A/V gear.

That realization brought something home to me that I believe may not be sinking in with some folks in this forum. At least with a home-built PC, you only update the bios when there is a genuine need to do so...Unless, that is, you are just begging trouble or consider the computer a test-bed and have other boxes to fall back on. I guess it all comes down to the old dictum, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

My v880 had the truly crappy EPO loader, so every firmware upgrade was at least a bit of light in the darkness...Any hope of making the loader work better was a glimmer of hope if you didn't want to retrofit it with a Lite-On loader.

The OPPO, thank you Jesus!, is not the v880. If the machine is doing what you need and you don't have the lip-sync issue...as I do not...then you do not have to slap on every firmware update that is released. I guess the bottom-line is that if the newest release does not address some specific problem you are having, then don't use it and let well enough alone...Unless, like me you just enjoy experimenting with your player.

I have tested the 0220, the 0228, and the 0302...All managed to break more features than they fixed, so I have reverted to the 1022-D and will stay there until the next release. I suppose the bottom-line here is that if you enjoy doing the updates to see what happens, go for it. If however, your OPPO is performing acceptably, you do not have to use every release that comes down the pike.

-Toonces...

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."

-Archie Whippet
post #4166 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

Not a bad movie either.

Not a bad movie??????This film is an utter piece of trash!!!!
And I don't know which one I hate more: this or Napoleon Dynamite.....
post #4167 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 04:37 PM

BTW, any word from Russians on modifying 0302?
Please, don't tell them I trashed their movie, though :-)

P.S> Did I mention that Night Watch 2 is also crap????
post #4168 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 04:38 PM
GSB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Dog View Post

Not a bad movie??????This film is an utter piece of trash!!!!
And I don't know which one I hate more: this or Napoleon Dynamite.....

Woah Trance, that's stirring up the hornets nest!
post #4169 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like Sound Stage AV posted a review on March 1 for the OPDV971H.

A snippet from the closing
In the past, I've really liked the Ayre Acoustics DVD players and the Lexicon RT-20. But are they 20 to 50 times as good as the Oppo? Of course not. When you want the very best, you pay dearly for incremental improvements. The difference in speed and handling between a Corvette and a Ferrari doesn't justify the difference in their prices unless you just happen to have the money and are willing to spend it. If fact, for most of the planet, the difference between a nice, new Honda Civic and a Ferrari makes no sense.

That's a good analogy for the little Oppo. As with a Honda Civic, you get a lot for your money: It does what it's supposed to do with no surprises, and to get something obviously better would cost a lot more money.
post #4170 of 8048 Old 03-08-2006, 05:22 PM
GSB
AVS Special Member

So true! Nice review.

Gary
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version