Oppo DV971H FAQ / Brain Dump - Page 269 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8041 of 8048 Old 04-26-2010, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My OPDV971H is showing the infamous "No Disc" error. I contacted tech support at Oppo and they gave a me a list of things to try such as unplugging for over 15 min; power blow internals to remove dust etc etc. They did not work. Now I have to send it to them to be repaired for $49. Is there anything else I should try?

In contrast, probably not worth it at this point. Better to put the $50 towards a $90-$170 BluRay Player. There are many to choose from out there...Pioneer BDP-320 1080p, LG BD390, Panasonic DMP-BD65K, Sony BDP-N460.

I assume these BluRay players will present a superior picture to the oppo....correct? They also will upscale current SD DVD to BluRay Definition...correct?

Thanks for any suggestions/opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8042 of 8048 Old 04-26-2010, 11:53 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble_Fish View Post

I assume these BluRay players will present a superior picture to the oppo....correct?

It's hard to make a categorical rule; Blu-ray players vary in quality of DVD playback just as DVD players do. You might have a look at the DVD scores at Winston's site: http://winstonsreviews.com/

I don't think any new players are using the Faroudja chip that the 971 does; it has been superseded and I wouldn't doubt that the average player has improved since when the 971 was new. Later OPPO models using Mediatek and ABT seem sharper to me, but still film-like.

Quote:

They also will upscale current SD DVD to BluRay Definition...correct?

Yes.

-Bill
post #8043 of 8048 Old 04-26-2010, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Bill....

I was looking for the perfect excuse to bury the oppo in the back yard.... The oppo was awesome "back in the day". Starting to educate myself more on all this bluray stuff. I already get the Netflix streaming through xbox 360 elite which upconverts to HD....At least that is what the signal states before every movie starts. Pound for pound, I am looking for the best video image possible....The Pioneer seems to get awesome reviews/ratings.....The panny looks good too. We shall see.
post #8044 of 8048 Old 12-29-2010, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 971 finally gave up the ghost. Won't play any DVDs. I opened it up and the mechanism is making a clunking noise and the laser repeatedly tries to go to far and crashes. I see some have sent theirs into Oppo for repair for $50 plus shipping. I don't have the box and don't really want to do that. Does anyone know if I can order the mechanism from somewhere? Looks like it would be easy to put in myself. Otherwise I guess it'll go in the trash to be replaced by a cheap blu-ray from costco.

Steve
post #8045 of 8048 Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverinefan99 View Post

My 971 finally gave up the ghost. Won't play any DVDs. I opened it up and the mechanism is making a clunking noise and the laser repeatedly tries to go to far and crashes. I see some have sent theirs into Oppo for repair for $50 plus shipping. I don't have the box and don't really want to do that. Does anyone know if I can order the mechanism from somewhere? Looks like it would be easy to put in myself. Otherwise I guess it'll go in the trash to be replaced by a cheap blu-ray from costco.

Steve

Going from the OPPO to a cheap BD player you'll be sorely dissappointed. Yes, any BD player can play BDs, but they won't do all the specialized things that OPPO does so well. Like play Divx or PALS or region free. Cheap BD players don't upscale near as well as an OPPO. Used 971H OPPOS are selling on eBay for only slighly less than some new BD players. There's a reason for that. For playing DVDs there isn't much better.
post #8046 of 8048 Old 12-30-2010, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Call them @ 650-961-1118. Few companies will treat you better. If you do call let us know what they say.
post #8047 of 8048 Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 PM

When setting the region code is there a way to set it to auto? If so how? I hate having to press setup 9,2,1,0 every time in order to change the region.
post #8048 of 8048 Old 05-25-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68 View Post

When setting the region code is there a way to set it to auto? If so how? I hate having to press setup 9,2,1,0 every time in order to change the region.

"0" is for all regions and you shouldn't ever need to change that.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page