Oppo DV971H FAQ / Brain Dump - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 8048 Old 05-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so still no date on this new firmware release, eh? will it fix the shimmering problem? thats the only thing that is keeping me from buying this player right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 8048 Old 05-13-2005, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fixes have been coming at a fairly quick rate, no date yet.

Paul
post #183 of 8048 Old 05-14-2005, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My Oppo arrived Thursday, and first impressions are REAL good. The PQ via DVI is "WOW!" I had to do some major adjustments with the brightness and contrast controls using DVE, but that's probably because my Sammy DLP was ISF calibrated. Once that was done, I was VERY happy with what I was seeing.

I am not a videophile by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not sure I'd know macroblocking if I saw it. And, like rainbows on my Sammy, I have no desire to go looking for it, or any of the other problems so often reported with today's DVD players. In this case, ignorance IS bliss.

So far the Oppo has performed flawlessly, but I've only had a few discs in it. I'm going to be using it exclusively for DVD video, so I've not experimented with it's DVD-A capabilities. I have a Denon 2910 for multichannel music. PQ via DVI is what this player is all about.

I do have a few minor complaints that are hardly deal breakers, at least for me. Most HT gear is 17 1/8 inches wide. This puppy, for some reason is only 16 1/2 inches wide.

The front panel is only 1 1/8 inches in height (the rest of the player is 1 5/8", and with the feet, the whole thing is more like 1 3/4"). As a result the display is a little small. I wish they had left the front panel of the unit the same size as the rest of the unit, and made the display a little larger. This, combined with the blue readout and the font used, makes the display, for me, somewhat difficult to read. I'm only about 8 feet from it, and I have to move closer to make it out (however, I'm old. Younger eyes may not have this problem).

The very thin, flexible disc tray will take a little getting used to, but it seems sturdy enough.

It has a couple of features the purpose of which I've not yet discerned. It has a PSM (Power Spectrum Meter) button, which yields a 13 bar meter on the screen that resembles a VU meter. The bars vary in amplitude with the audio portion of a DVD. Looks cool, but I don't yet know it's practical application.

For those of you who like to sing along, it has 2 "key" buttons. "Press KEY button to adjust tone in order to assort your singing tone range." I guess it puts the song in your key.

Since the included remote has no lighting whatsoever, if you're in a darkened room, simply press the "Virtual Keyboard" button, and a simulated remote appears on the TV screen around which you can navigate with the remote's cursor buttons. Just press the "select" button to perform the desired task. Since I use an MX-850 remote which has more than adequate backlighting, I have no need for this.

I haven't experimented with comparing the 720p output to the 1080i, but intend to do that this weekend to see which, if either, I prefer.

I haven't noticed any sync problem. One poster stated that he noticed a sync problem with Shakespeare In Love. I have that DVD and will try to take a look at it this weekend. Like macroblocking, I fear if I look for a sync problem, I'll find it.

One of the really good things about this unit is that, so far, the company has been VERY responsive to any problems discovered, and has shown a willingness to issue firmware updates promptly.

So far I'm completely happy with this thing.

Jack

post #184 of 8048 Old 05-14-2005, 05:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Now that the lip-synching issue has come up, I have a couple of issues with the player. I put in my Incredibles DVD last night using DVI direct. When watching this DVD, I almost always at least take a quick trip through the THX Optimizer. Last night, I noticed that the steering going through my speakers was out of synch with what was on the screen. In other words, the screen would be showing the center channel but the steering would be at the left front speaker. When the steering went to the right front speaker, the screen would show the center speaker. It went around the whole speaker setup like that. I switched over to my XP-30 to see if it was the DVD or the player and the Optimizer played perfectly through the XP-30. Then I switched to my DV-50s and again, the Optimizer played perfectly. When going back to the Oppo, the video segment of the Optimizer seemed to go okay so I went ahead and started up the movie using the Oppo.....and there I saw some of the worst lip synching I have ever witnessed. When I switched back to my other players, the lip synching goes away. But on the Oppo, it's there in spades. And it doesn't appear with all DVDs. Just some. I'm planing on watching Ray for the first time tonight. I hope the Oppo doesn't do this.

In contrast, the video coming out of this thing is some of the best I've seen. I've decided that if I'm going to keep this player, I'll probably always go DVI direct. Sending the player through an Iscan doesn't do much in my experience unless your using 480i. A mosquito might improve some of the ghosting artifacts and other noise but it's already pretty good as it is. I think it needs some work in the sound department though. Perhaps there's some firmware on the way?
Javry
post #185 of 8048 Old 05-14-2005, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rijax,

I haven't found a real use for the PSM other that it puts something to watch on the display when playing music only.

I think the issue with the display is that it is too far recessed into the unit. If that display could be moved right up front, the angle of viewing would be much better.

The remote does "glow in dark" -- the buttons are luminescent. Take a flashlight and give it a burst of light!

The flexible tray is a bit disconcerting at first but it seems to be tough in use. I've had no problems with the loading mechanism.

The Key +/- is an interesting (unique?) feature. Never seen it in DVD player before.

Javry,

DVI is the way to go with the Oppo. The 480i composite is workable but doesn't take advantage of what the player is capable of (the Faroudja processing is completely bypassed in component output).

Paul
post #186 of 8048 Old 05-14-2005, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Bigelow
............Javry,

DVI is the way to go with the Oppo. The 480i composite is workable but doesn't take advantage of what the player is capable of (the Faroudja processing is completely bypassed in component output).

Paul

Paul,
I agree with your assessment. What I tried last night....just for grins....was to run the 480i into an Iscan HD+ and from there to the PJ. Both the Iscan and the PJ can upscale the 480i to 720P. And frankly....it looks pretty good. If I had never seen the DVI direct, I could live with it. Now, for some reason, running the 480i direct into the PJ produces a bunch of video noise that just ain't cool. With DVI direct, the picture just takes on a sharpness and clerity that outruns the Iscan option just enough to make it an exceptional viewing experience. I'm sure it's the way I want to go. So for now, the Iscan goes back in the box where it's been since I bought it. I just can't find a use for it. Gotta talk with Jason 'bout dat.
Javry
post #187 of 8048 Old 05-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally posted by Rijax
Since I use an MX-850 remote which has more than adequate backlighting, I have no need for this.

Hi Rijax,

Have you programmed your MX-850 to control the Oppo yet? If so, where did you find the IR codes?

Reason I ask, I have the MX-700. I checked its IR database last night and the Oppo isn't in there. So that means I would have to teach all those codes to the MX-700 (kind of a pain). Was hoping you found an easier way.

Thanks,

Sooke

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #188 of 8048 Old 05-14-2005, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sooke,

Here is an Oppo OPDV971H .mxd file from Remotecentral,com. You just download the file, unzip it, save the .mxd file to a location on your computer. Then you can import the Oppo device into your configuration.

You can find many files not included in the MX-700 IR database at the Remote Central File Area. As well as the .mxd files in the MX-700 section, you can also use .ccf files that can be found in the "Phillips Pronto and ProntoPro" section. You open the .ccf file with the Universal browser and then you can drag and drop specific commands to specific buttons. Unfortunately, at this time, there is no Oppo .ccf file available.

I think there were a couple of the commands that, for whatever reason, I had to re-teach the remote ("skip" to next chapter, and "skip" to previous chapter which are assigned to the channel up and down buttons; the keyboard command; the +10 button; and, strangely, the play button). Be sure to delete the commands that don't work before you reteach the button.

Also, I don't believe the gentleman who kindly uploaded the file included the "clear" and "return" commands, so I had to teach those commands as well.

The point is, once imported to your configuration, be sure to check all commands to find the ones, if any, that need to be retaught.

Hope this helps.

Jack

post #189 of 8048 Old 05-15-2005, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks Rijax.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #190 of 8048 Old 05-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

so no one knows when this new firmware is coming out? i'm very interested in the player but the shimmering/jaggie issue is the only thing holding me back.
post #191 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 04:56 AM

Paul,

Another thing Oppo needs to look at: the Zoom function significantly degrades the picture. I was hoping to use Zoom to eliminate the black bars at the top and bottom of 2.35:1 material. But even the 1.2X Zoom level is almost unwatchable. Text breaks up and pictures are block like. That is, the pixel size increases far more than the magnification. Angled lines become staircase even at low Zoom levels.

I have an old Samsung HD931 which has a screen fit function which enlarges the 2.35:1 picture to eliminate the top and bottom bars. This function works quite well with no perceived picture degradation beyond the magnification effect which enlarges everything. With the Oppo magnification (Zoom) set to eliminate the bars (about 1.5X) the picture is much much poorer.

It's very disappointing as Oppo promotes the Zoom feature to remove the top and bottom black bars. From their firmware update page:

Adds more zoom options: 1.2x, 1.3x, 1.5x, 2.5x, and 3.5x, in addition to the original 2x, 3x, 4x, ½x, 1/3x & ¼x options. This allows letterbox to fill the screen with a non-anamorphic widescreen DVD.

But the picture it creates is dismal.

I am using a Samsung DLP (HLN-507W) at 720p. The Oppo firmware is OP971-2-0412.

With no Zoom, the Oppo picture is very nice. It accurately reproduces some material that my Samsung HD931 messes up.

Phil
post #192 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Hopefully, they are going to have a new release soon. So far they have had releases on 4/13 and 4/30. If they continue with their release pattern of twice a month, they probably already have a new firmware they are about to release now. Am I ambitious?

The only way society can advance is with open and independent thought.
post #193 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello Phil,

I agree that the "zoomed" image is mediocre. It'll be reported. Not sure what can be done -- basically, it works like another of my MediaTek players the Terapin TT-1800.

Paul
post #194 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Yahmoncool
so no one knows when this new firmware is coming out? i'm very interested in the player but the shimmering/jaggie issue is the only thing holding me back.

I feel the same. I am so close to buying this, but I have read too many posts with this problem. Does anyone know if this is on the latest firmware fix? If I was to know that this will be fixed in the next revision, I will buy this, otherwise I am affraid I will get this and then find out they can't fix it.
post #195 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got my oppo and I am very dissapointed due to the shimmering problem.
I was already to sell my Pioneer 59avi and buy about 3 of these players.
Deinterlacing , menu speed and everything else is great but if your always pulled out of the movie when you see the shimmering /jaggies what good is it.
I did notice that it is less obvious using the supplied 5 foot dvi cable instead of a high quality monster.
Shimmering and movement on the HQV test dvd(color bar and resolution sweeps) is very apparent. The pioneer is rock solid.
The pioneer is not as good at deinterlacing as the oppo using the 3 moving bar test on the HQV dvd but I can live with that as I cant see it.
post #196 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The issues have been reported. Awaiting feedback.

Paul
post #197 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by PThackray
Paul,

Another thing Oppo needs to look at: the Zoom function significantly degrades the picture. I was hoping to use Zoom to eliminate the black bars at the top and bottom of 2.35:1 material. But even the 1.2X Zoom level is almost unwatchable. Text breaks up and pictures are block like. That is, the pixel size increases far more than the magnification. Angled lines become staircase even at low Zoom levels.

I have an old Samsung HD931 which has a screen fit function which enlarges the 2.35:1 picture to eliminate the top and bottom bars. This function works quite well with no perceived picture degradation beyond the magnification effect which enlarges everything. With the Oppo magnification (Zoom) set to eliminate the bars (about 1.5X) the picture is much much poorer.

It's very disappointing as Oppo promotes the Zoom feature to remove the top and bottom black bars. From their firmware update page:

Adds more zoom options: 1.2x, 1.3x, 1.5x, 2.5x, and 3.5x, in addition to the original 2x, 3x, 4x, ½x, 1/3x & ¼x options. This allows letterbox to fill the screen with a non-anamorphic widescreen DVD.

But the picture it creates is dismal.

I am using a Samsung DLP (HLN-507W) at 720p. The Oppo firmware is OP971-2-0412.

With no Zoom, the Oppo picture is very nice. It accurately reproduces some material that my Samsung HD931 messes up.

Phil

Why would you want to remove the bars on 2.35:1 material? You'll be cropping the sides and losing part of the picture.

The Oppo zoom feature is designed for non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs, where the picture does not fill the screen (resulting in letterboxing + pictureboxing, i.e. black bars above and on the sides).

In this regard, the Oppo zoom does need some improvement; it cannot accurately fill the screen with a non-anamorphic DVD. The zoom really needs to be slightly different in the vertical and horizontal directions.

I'm not sure if there's much that can be done in firmware to improve the image, though, because by the time the Oppo zoom is enabled, the picture resolution has already been degraded by the MP3 decoder.

In any case, eliminating the bars on 2.35:1 material should not be the primary goal. I really can't understand why a HD TV owner would want to chop off the sides of a movie...
post #198 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

KRIS DEERING,
How can you recommend this player while it has the shimmer/jaggie artifact being so obvious?
You owe it to all of us and your own credibility to inform people of this problem rather than rate this player as almost top dog.
If it is the ESS being left on in the faroudja chip and not fixable please step up and help solve this problem.
Granted, deinterlacing etc. is great as is the access speed layer change etc. but with a visable problem like this with the picture it almost makes everything else about the player not matter.
Sorry to have to post this but I was unable to find your email address or I would have contacted you privately.
post #199 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 11:02 AM

I'm agree...the shimmer/jaggie artifact is very bad...enough so that if is not fixed quickly, I will return the player... It is sad because besides this problem, it is really an excellent DVD player
post #200 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Originally posted by steviec
KRIS DEERING,
How can you recommend this player while it has the shimmer/jaggie artifact being so obvious?

It has me perplexed as well. I try not to say anything negative about this player because Oppo and ExtremePhono have such excellent customer service. I think shimmering is ten times worse than macroblocking.
post #201 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 01:12 PM

I have noticed the same effect as well. There seems to be, in some scenes not all, a strong edge enhancement . It almost makes the picture look extremely overprocessed. I watched SW Episode I as my initial demo and many of the scenes showed a visible glow around objects.

BTW, I have a Sony HS20 FP with a Da-lite HCCV screen. Can anyone with this setup or any knowledge of it help me. Unfortunatley, when I switch between resolutions on the Oppo the display from the Sony comes up indicating (DVI - input). It overlaps the Oppo display which tells me whether I'm in 720p or 1080i etc. I therefore don't know which resolution I'm in. Hold on, just had a Brain Freeze. I can look at my HS20 onscreen menu to see input status. I'll try later to comfirm when I get home. That should be the answer, DUH?

There is a difference between knowing the path...and walking the path.
post #202 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 01:25 PM

Greetings,
I have been following the "shimmering" issue which seemed to have come onto the board about one day after I ordered my Oppo. Does anyone know if this a general issue or just with specific displays?
I have a Sammy 5674 and if this is either a general issue or specific to my display I'd just as soon not even open the box and just return it.
Thanks,
b.
post #203 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 01:33 PM

Anyone have the Oppo / HS20 setup that can share their preferred settings???

post #204 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 01:38 PM

I have a HS20 connected to the Oppo and have the same problem. What I have figured out is the Oppo resolutions are in order, 420, 720, and 1080,
When you are on the 1080 resolution, you can see the 0 of the 1080 resolution being displayed.
post #205 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 02:32 PM

72purity, my reasoning is the same though I would prefer to be sure. I think the HS20 menu will supply resolution and frame rate data. I'm not at home, but I believe it is the last choice on the HS20 menu at the bottom. The icon is an italic "i" inside a circle.

post #206 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bob4action,

You have a PM.

The shimmering is a general issue as best I can tell. The issue is content dependent so some discs may show it more than others. Content with lots of pans comprised of closely spaced vertical/diagonal lines or sharp leading edges will tend to show the problem more than steady closeups of faces.

How one perceives the severity of the problem can vary.

Oppo has been very receptive and responsive to correcting problems.

Paul
post #207 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Paul Bigelow
Bob4action,
The shimmering is a general issue as best I can tell. The issue is content dependent so some discs may show it more than others. Content with lots of pans comprised of closely spaced vertical/diagonal lines or sharp leading edges will tend to show the problem more than steady closeups of faces.

How one perceives the severity of the problem can vary.

Oppo has been very receptive and responsive to correcting problems.

Paul

I asked this on the other Oppo thread, but I'll post here too.

I just got the Oppo to replace my now-dead Bravo D2. I notice shimmering on The Incredibles, after watching only the first 10 minutes.

Does anyone know or have a theory as to the cause of this? Is this something that could potentially even be fixed with a firmware upgrade?

Thanks!
post #208 of 8048 Old 05-20-2005, 10:36 PM

Shimmering is caused by vertical edge enhancement which is added by the Farjouda chipset, Oppo has been very supportive and this is listed as one of their top priorities.
post #209 of 8048 Old 05-21-2005, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Vertical Edge Enhancement can be "addressed" (pun intended) in the Faroudja chip.

Paul
post #210 of 8048 Old 05-22-2005, 06:21 PM

Oppo emailed me and confirmed that a setting to have sharpness OFF is in the works for the next firmware.

However, they cannot tell me when the new firmware will be ready. I asked them if it will be this year and they said YES.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page