Pioneer Elite 59avi Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2187 Old 02-12-2005, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a quickie..

will my 59avi pass 480i through HDMI into an ISCAN HD and upconvert to 1080i component?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2187 Old 02-12-2005, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by moribund
I have a quickie..

will my 59avi pass 480i through HDMI into an ISCAN HD and upconvert to 1080i component?

thanks

The iScan cannot accept 480i through HDMI at the moment. With so much on the table, it is questionable whether or not this feature will ever see the light of day. I urge anyone who is interested in this feature to cast your vote by personally giving DVDO a call. The added cost of SDI is a big damper in my book.

"Guess I'll have to buy the White Album again"
post #363 of 2187 Old 02-12-2005, 10:05 AM

I think I'll do that...because basically no 480i through HDMI no sale, I'm not going to spend 1000 bucks on something that would require me to spend another 800.00 or so equipping the scaler and 59avi with SDI.
post #364 of 2187 Old 02-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 816
moribund,
I presume you've seen the posts earlier in this thread from Expletive who is sending HDMI 480i from the 59avi to a Lumagen external scaler. So unless you have your heart set on the IScan, there is an immediately available alternative that can take advantage of HDMI 480i from the 59avi.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #365 of 2187 Old 02-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

Lee,
Yes, if you set all speakers to Large then the 59avi will not do any bass steering (bass management). Of course the sound on the ".1" channel should already be low frequencies only.

As far as I can tell the pair of Stero L/R analog outputs are identical to the Front L and Front R analog outputs of the multi-channel analog set, regardless of what you are playing.

That means, for example, that if you are playing multi-channel stuff, the Stereo L/R outputs will not include any of the signal that is intended for the center channel -- i..e., there's no steering of center channel content to those outputs, and thus the Stereo L/R pair won't sound very good if that's all you've got hooked up. I.e., it would be just the same as if you only hooked up the Front L and Front R outputs. You need to switch to 2-channel output to get the signal mixed to 2-channel.

Now there's been one report that the Stereo L/R pair is in some sense higher quality than the Front L and Front R pair when playing 2-channel content. I don't believe that really should be the case.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #366 of 2187 Old 02-12-2005, 11:21 AM

The clincher for me with the iScan is its PAL-NTSC capability. I'm not sure the Lumagen can do that. Also, my relatively uninformed impression at this point is that the iScan is more user friendly that the Lumagen. I am not a power user, so ease of setup is important.

I am also wondering if I won't be satisfied with component through the iScan.

post #367 of 2187 Old 02-12-2005, 01:32 PM

Thanks Bob.

I believe I read earlier in this thread from 'psujohny' that the separate two channel analog L/R were in fact of a higher quality than the Front L/R of the 5.1 analogs when listening to CDs. I was just wondering if this were true.

psujohny - could you please let me know why this is? Does it say it in the manual somewhere?
post #368 of 2187 Old 02-12-2005, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As far as I can tell the pair of Stero L/R analog outputs are identical to the Front L and Front R analog outputs of the multi-channel analog set, regardless of what you are playing.

Bob,
I called Pioneer and spoke with an engineer a couple of weeks ago and he stated to me that the stereo analog l/r was of a bit higher quality in the analog stage then the multi channel l/r..somthing about it doesnt go through as much electronics as the multi-channel l/r does (he wasnt sure so I guess he could have been wrong?)..Im not really sure what the exact differences are but I dont think they would have put them there for no reason..I know on some other units that the seperate stereo l/r that the manufacturer actually uses higher quality parts ..not sure about the 59avi ..

Also I know that if your listening from the stereo l/r outs or just the l/r outs of the multi-channel out (and dont have the rest of the channels hooked up)..that if you have the 59avi set to multi-channel and are listening to a sacd disc that has both a stereo and a mutli-channel mix ..that its gonna sound like crap ..You will only get the l/r from the multi channel mix ..You have to go back in to the 59avi's setup a change it to "two-channel"

I was listening to Norah Jones sacd and had the 59avi set to mutli-channel...and listened through the stereo outs and it sounded terrible...that is untill I switched the 59avi setup back to "two-channel"..

One other thing, call me crazy but I swear I hear a significant difference for the better when switching the 59avi into "pure audio mode"..however I assume that this mode cant be used when using the i-link connection ? because it turns off all the digital connections, led/display etc ..So I assume it turns off the i-link as well ? ..If this is the case it may be another reason why somebody may not want to run through the i-link
post #369 of 2187 Old 02-12-2005, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
One other thing, call me crazy but I swear I hear a significant difference for the better when switching the 59avi into "pure audio mode"..however I assume that this mode cant be used when using the i-link connection ? because it turns off all the digital connections, led/display etc ..So I assume it turns off the i-link as well ? ..If this is the case it may be another reason why somebody may not want to run through the i-link

I have a 47ai that I use with i.link and turning off the video section (button on front) does not affect i.link.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #370 of 2187 Old 02-12-2005, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I believe I read earlier in this thread from 'psujohny' that the separate two channel analog L/R were in fact of a higher quality than the Front L/R of the 5.1 analogs when listening to CDs. I was just wondering if this were true.

Im gonna call Pioneer on monday and try and speak with somebody that can give me a definitive answer to this question..Is it that it doesnt go through as much crap as the multi-channel l/r ..and does it indeed use any higher quality parts in the analog out section of the stereo outs ..Ill let ya know what I can find out ..
But again, Im not really sure why they would even bother putting a seperate stereo out if using the l/r out of the multi-channel outs was the exact same ..
post #371 of 2187 Old 02-12-2005, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a 47ai that I use with i.link and turning off the video section (button on front) does not affect i.link.

Larry,
Im not sure if this is the same as "pure audio mode" on the 59avi or if its something different on the 47ai ...
Because I just checked my 59avi manual and it does indeed turn off the i-link connection ( and all digital connections etc.)..so, you can not use "pure audio mode" when using i-link on the 59avi.
post #372 of 2187 Old 02-12-2005, 02:11 PM

Do the High-Bit and Legato Pro functions still work when you are in 'pure audio mode' or are these features bypassed as well? I'm guessing that they wouldn't work hence the word PURE. All it says in the manual is that it disables the video and digital outputs and turns the front panel display off.
post #373 of 2187 Old 02-12-2005, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by psujohny
Larry,
Im not sure if this is the same as "pure audio mode" on the 59avi or if its something different on the 47ai ...
Because I just checked my 59avi manual and it does indeed turn off the i-link connection ( and all digital connections etc.)..so, you can not use "pure audio mode" when using i-link on the 59avi.

I can believe that because I thought you would have said "video off" mode when you said "pure audio mode" , but I wasn't sure. Does the 59avi have a "video off" button on the front? It's also possible that the 47ai works a little differently because it was just a 47a with i.Link added on.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #374 of 2187 Old 02-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

I have several questions about cd and sacd playback. I have both the i.Link and 6 multichannel analogs hooked up. I have tried listening sacd's from the analogs and the i.Link and prefer the i.Link for listening to sacd's. When listening to regular cd's however, I find myself liking both for different reasons. Listening through i.Link seems to add something extra that I can't quite put into words. Listening through the analogs provides a smoother more natural sound. I set Audio output mode under the Speakers tab to 2 channel. Under the Options tab, I set the SACD Playback to CD Area. Are these settings correct? Do I need to change speakers back to 5.1 Output Mode for DVD's? For those of you who have a 56TXi, which setup do you prefer for listening to CD's and SACD/DVD-A's? I'm sorry for having so many questions, but I find the owners manual a tad confusing.
post #375 of 2187 Old 02-13-2005, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have a working pronto .ccf for the 59avi, i cant seem to find one online or learn good commands.

John
post #376 of 2187 Old 02-13-2005, 07:29 AM

John,

The 59 uses Pioneers strange double coding. I have been able to learn the remotes commands to my MX500.

I have the Hex codes for discrete On/Off (I think from remotecentral.com, you may want to check the file repository over there for complete ccf's) if you want them (I can post here). I just got home so will be trying to convert the discretes to something my MX500 can use so my old macros will work.

Rob - Guitar Noir is fantastic, thanks for the tip. Listened to some of it yesterday and will give the rest of the disc a tour over the next few days.

On another note about DVD-R's and the 59. I tried different burning software at a slower speed with a different brand and still no go, sigh. Audio is there, video is messed up with 1/2 screen and fluttering display. More experimentation to come.

I'll be sending the unit back to Pioneer in 4 weeks for the firmware upgrade to .506.

"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat."
-- Douglas Adams
post #377 of 2187 Old 02-13-2005, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Pariseau
...That means, for example, that if you are playing multi-channel stuff, the Stereo L/R outputs will not include any of the signal that is intended for the center channel -- i..e., there's no steering of center channel content to those outputs, and thus the Stereo L/R pair won't sound very good if that's all you've got hooked up. I.e., it would be just the same as if you only hooked up the Front L and Front R outputs. You need to switch to 2-channel output to get the signal mixed to 2-channel...

Regarding 2-channel SACDs, the manual is a bit vague to me on this issue. If you switch the player to 2-channel mode, does it then read the 2-channel hi-rez layer of the SACD, or does it re-mix the M-channel into two? Of course, the latter would not be good.

This is one more little feature that I actually liked better in my old Sony DVP-NS755V (the first one I mentioned a while back was the disc memory function). On the Sony, you could switch between the 2-ch and M-ch programs of an SACD from the front panel or even from the remote. Of course, the player would have to return to the beginning of the disc to begin reading the new program, but with the 59AVI you have to switch on your TV and go into the settings menu to change.

Cheers,
Doug
post #378 of 2187 Old 02-13-2005, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulT_BC

Rob - Guitar Noir is fantastic, thanks for the tip. Listened to some of it yesterday and will give the rest of the disc a tour over the next few days.

Glad you enjoyed it! It really takes full advantage of the DVD-A technology.
post #379 of 2187 Old 02-13-2005, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Under the Options tab, I set the SACD Playback to CD Area

Doesn't that mean with Hybrid SACDs you'll never play the hi-rez 2ch tracks?

larry

post #380 of 2187 Old 02-13-2005, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Expletive
Does anyone have a working pronto .ccf for the 59avi, i cant seem to find one online or learn good commands.

John

I'd be surprised if it's not the "standard" Pioneer DVD player remote commands. Try the 45a or 47a .ccf.

larry

post #381 of 2187 Old 02-13-2005, 03:29 PM

Hello, going to buy the DV-59avi most likely on Monday (02/14/05) could anyone tell me if the Firmware and the C/Y delay have been fixed on these units. Is there a build date to know if the unit has the most up-to-date Firmware installed.

Thank you for your reply and help.
post #382 of 2187 Old 02-13-2005, 05:07 PM

According to posters here that have the newest 506 firmware, there is no longer any C/Y delay. Check page 1 of this thread to see how to read the firmware version. Build dates seem to vary but from the posts I have read here July 2004 build or later should have 506 firmware.

Also -

I now have working discrete on/off codes learned into my MX-500. If anyone wants them in .m5 format PM me, I've uploaded them to the remotecentral files section as well.

"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat."
-- Douglas Adams
post #383 of 2187 Old 02-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

My 59avi, purchased in July 2004, has a June 2004 build date and includes the 506 firmware.

The build date is found on the Serial Number label on the back of the machine. The firmware level can only be seen if you hook the player up to a TV. The method for bringing up the firmware number on the TV is detailed in the first post of this thread (Initial Settings / Options and then Display button on Remote Control).

A new 59avi in a factory sealed box purchased from an authorized vendor really shouldn't have any issues with this, but if you are worried, tell your vendor that he has to plug in the unit and show you the firmware number before you'll pay for it.
--Bob

post #384 of 2187 Old 02-14-2005, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob Pariseau
A new 59avi in a factory sealed box purchased from an authorized vendor really shouldn't have any issues with this, but if you are worried, tell your vendor that he has to plug in the unit and show you the firmware number before you'll pay for it.
--Bob

The manufacture date is printed on the outside of the box on my 59avi.
post #385 of 2187 Old 02-14-2005, 03:10 PM

That's where mine is at, says nov. '04.
post #386 of 2187 Old 02-14-2005, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by mimason
The manufacture date is printed on the outside of the box on my 59avi.

Exactly. A nice little feature that allows you to see the manufacture date before you buy it (if you don't purchase via mail order anyway).
post #387 of 2187 Old 02-15-2005, 06:13 AM

I did it, I went out and bought the DV-59AVi I will install it this weekend when I have more time in my schedule. Thank you to you all; that have helped on making up my mind.
Now, I don't have my new television (Soon), I am using my older Sony 32" that does not have HDMI. I think I asked this before here or in another forum; I have the Pioneer Elite 49TXi (same unit as the 59TXi) I am going to use the DVD's i.Link to the receiver for (Audio out) and use a component video out to the receiver also. (all connections into the 49TXi receiver)
Question I enjoy using my seven speaker home theater system (7.2) all the time. Is this best to use the receiver internal system to run all equipment, rather then the DVD internal components.

Thanks again.

Micro
post #388 of 2187 Old 02-16-2005, 08:20 AM

I talked to DVDO concerning a few issues/questions about my setup, and asked about the status of the implementation of 480i output through HDMI. I forgot to ask if that info was postable in a public forum, but I will be glad to pass it on through PM. It may very well be old news to some, but it is from the horse's mouth.

I still feel the iScan HD+ is the preferred upgrade, but the added cost of SDI compells one (myself) to consider the other options a little more closely. These include the Lumagen HDP, the Denon 5910, and the iScan HD+ through component/480i.

post #389 of 2187 Old 02-16-2005, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Please post dvdo response. No harm in posting it.
post #390 of 2187 Old 02-16-2005, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Bluesea.

Yes. I would really like to hear that answer from DVDO also.

Everyone interested to use 480i over HDMI from the 59avi to the IScan HD+ should send an e-mail to DVDO and ask for it.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page