Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2187 Old 02-27-2005, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Expletive
Does anyone have a working pronto .ccf for the 59avi, i cant seem to find one online or learn good commands.

John

John,

I have a pcf file for the Pronto 7000 uploaded at remotecentral.com. It has all the codes except for the jog dial functions.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...vd-dv59avi.zip

Hope this helps.

Ross

Ross
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2187 Old 02-27-2005, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
After a few weeks of use, I have the following thoughts:
Audio - SACDs sound about the same as on my previous Sony so far, but RB CDs sound loads better. It's really a joy to listen to CDs again. The soundstage is wider and more alive. And, to use "ottephile" terminology, while the imaging is very accurate and 3-dimensional, the whole falls together. In other words, on cheaper CD players, a certain instrument or range of frequencies might jump out and be distracting. With the 59, I can focus on individual instruments, but I can easily "step back" and enjoy the mix.

Video: I was hoping layer changes would be unnoticable on this machine. They are faster than the Sony, but are definitely noticable. Was the Denon 2900 the only machine that had a big enough buffer to eliminate the pause? Why can't other players do the same thing? Anyway, that's a slight annoyance.

Doug
post #453 of 2187 Old 02-28-2005, 12:39 AM

No Australian poster yet..... I guess I'd better make a start......

969AVI

The Australian model is 969AVI (US is 59AVI and UK is 868AVI, just for completeness).

As I understand the US model is available in "black", UK is "silver" only and Australian is "Gold" only !

The Australian model is shipped with a HDMI and an iLink cable, which is not the case with the US model at least (correct me if I'm wrong).
edit: US model does include the iLink cable, but not the HDMI cable. Further I think it is the Australian distributer that is throwing away a HDMI cable.

The other specifications are exactly the same as the US model, (thus unlike the UK model there is no SCART port).

edit: Even the manual is the same, as the 969avi manual has references to 59avi etc.

edit2: It seems that the 59avi has a different remote (being able to control the TV) than the 969avi. As the manual makes appropriate references...

Like everything else in Australia, it is multiregion out of the box (due to legal requirements here), is PAL and NTSC compatible.

Apart from these minor cosmetic and packagingdifferences it appears to be the same as the US model (down to the setup menu).

UK saga
I am happy to report that the problems being described in this thread regarding the UK model (868AVI) are non-existent on the Australian model (most probably because it has not been modified to include a SCART output).

MISC.
Having just read this thread, I think a few key features have not yet been mentioned regarding this player.

- It's excellent multi-disk memory (edit: ok, it only remembers the disk that is in, ones the disk is out it doesn't remember it... )
- It's ability to remember something like 24 playlists (based on CDs, DVD-As and SACDs)
- The remote's jog-dial feature, which is quite unique and provides for a very easy frame advance/back ability....

Apart from these minor points, all else seems to be covered in quite some detail.....

My Hunt
My hunt for a DVD Player started around 5 months ago, and involved pretty much every Denon, Cambridge Audio, Panasonic, Sony and Arcams. Pioneer came out on top for me !

My saga with Denons is discussed here (in addition to various posts on this forum)

My review for the player is discussed here.....

Great thread, glad to be part of this community now....

cheers,

Ritesh
post #454 of 2187 Old 02-28-2005, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Here's something I stumbled on, a photo anatomy of the featured player: http://gate.crashing.org/~fray/DV-59AVi/DV-59AVi.html

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #455 of 2187 Old 02-28-2005, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Nice find Pooper.
post #456 of 2187 Old 02-28-2005, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. Nice find.

But it would be more complete with some arrows pointing to the correct pin assignment and with pictures to perform an SDI modification to the 59avi ...

That's something I would like to see... Did someone SDI mod a 59avi themselve with a kit like the one from Pixel Magic?
post #457 of 2187 Old 02-28-2005, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ritesh
The Australian model is shipped with a HDMI and an iLink cable, which is not the case with the US model at least (correct me if I'm wrong).

The US model comes with an iLink cable, there was not a HDMI in the box.
post #458 of 2187 Old 02-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
ritesh,
Thanks for posting your review, and the link to your OTHER review!

The version of the 59avi shipping in the US *DOES* include an I-link cable, but as you point out, does NOT include an HDMI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI cable.

Your comment on disc playback memory puzzles me. My experience is that the "Resume" function to restart play from where you stopped a disc only works as long as the given disc remains in the disc tray. If you take out the disc, have a power failure, or hit Stop again while the disc is already stopped, the Resume memory gets cleared and hitting play for that disc will cause it to restart from the beginning. So Stop works like Pause (only without having to worry about screen burn in), but only so long as the disc remains in the tray, power stays connected, and you don't hit Stop a second time.

Now I haven't played with the "Program List" features of the 59avi yet since I almost always just play discs through from start to end. The ability to store a Program List for up to 24 discs and have it recalled automatically when you re-insert the disc seems great for folks who want to do selective play, but of no particular value for folks who play discs through normally.

But have you found an easy way to use that feature to get the equivalent of a Resume function for multiple DVD-Video discs? I.e., have you found an easy way to play disc A, stop it, replace it with disc B, stop it, re-insert disc A and have it automatically pick up where it was playing when you stopped it, and then re-insert disc B and have it also automatically pick up where it was playing when you stopped it?

There have been numerous requests for just such a feature on the 59avi, so if you've figured out an easy way to make it happen, please do tell us.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #459 of 2187 Old 02-28-2005, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

For anyone interested in hooking up the 480i HDMI output of the DV-59AVi into a proj which accepts 480i over HDMI, according to Proj. Cent, of the 21 projs. with HDMI inputs only the SIM2 Domino 18H and EVSX1 do so. The InFocus 7205 w/the latest firmware/7210/777 also do through the MD input. (The Marantz 12S4, and SIM2 HT300E/Link and HT500E/Link do not for example.)

I wonder how the DV-59AVi at 480i HDMI going into one of the InFocus projs which use the FL2310 chip would compare to a similar hookup using the Lumagen output 720p over DVI-D? Using the direct hookup one would lose 1 to 1 pixel mapping, but how much else?
post #460 of 2187 Old 02-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ritesh

Hi Ritesh,

1. What is the firmware version of the current Australian model?

2. Does the Australian model have the Y/C delay issues discussed at various times through this thread. (may be related to the firmware version?)

3. Likewise, a lot of people seemed to have various experiences using a variety of writable media. Have you tried DVD+R or more importantly DVD+R Dual Layer?

Thanks,
Bill.
post #461 of 2187 Old 02-28-2005, 02:26 PM

Stupid question (I'm full of them) Where is the IR sensor for the avi player? I'm trying to block it so I can control my other Pioneer Elite player with the remote and manually use the AVi. I tryed a couple of different spots but have'nt found it yet. Maybe I'm using the wrong material.(black electrical tape) Any material suggestions as well? I may just velcro something to it and the other player to alernate between the two as needed. Yeah, life is rough for me. lol
post #462 of 2187 Old 02-28-2005, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll jump in and answer Bob's questions about the disc memory. I, too, was curious after reading ritesh's post. I figured it out this morning. It's called Program List. See pp. 49-52 in the manual.

By itself, a program you create is erased when you remove the disc, but if you activate Program Memory, it automatically saves any programs you've created for up to 24 discs.

Here's how I'll use it. If we get sleepy and pause a movie for the night, I'll create a program with the current chapter,which is defaulted when creating a program. Then, if I remove and later replace the disc, all I have to do is press play and it resumes at the beginning of that chapter.

It's still not as easy as my old Sony, which automatically saves the exact position of the disc (not just the beginning of the chapter) without me having to choose to save it. However, it is nice to be able to save the approximate position w/ the Pioneer, and I thought it didn't have that capability.

There's one more thing I just tried. If I choose only the current chapter in a program, then resume the disc, does it stop at the end of that chapter, or continue to the next? I popped in a Star Trek DS9 disc, but the Program List won't work at all on this disc. Maybe it only works on certain discs?

Doug
post #463 of 2187 Old 02-28-2005, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cissado
Stupid question (I'm full of them) Where is the IR sensor for the avi player? I'm trying to block it so I can control my other Pioneer Elite player with the remote and manually use the AVi. I tryed a couple of different spots but have'nt found it yet. Maybe I'm using the wrong material.(black electrical tape) Any material suggestions as well? I may just velcro something to it and the other player to alernate between the two as needed. Yeah, life is rough for me. lol

I think it is towards the left side of the front display. I have an IR transmitter from my TV pointed there so I can use my tv's netcommand setup to control it. Works very well...
post #464 of 2187 Old 02-28-2005, 08:25 PM

Great tip dougotte!!

"Guess I'll have to buy the White Album again"
post #465 of 2187 Old 02-28-2005, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Bluesea
Great tip dougotte!!

Yes, that is pretty cool!
post #466 of 2187 Old 03-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

I just pulled the plug and ordered one of these after reading this entire thread (over a few hours). I paid about $200 more from an authorized local dealer then I could have online but I don't mind supporting the local store and it's well worth the 2 year warranty.

Thanks to all for a great thread on this machine...

Brian

PS Going to match this up with my Pio Pro1410-HD display and my PIO VSX-1014TX-K Receiver.
post #467 of 2187 Old 03-01-2005, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bkushner

PS Going to match this up with my Pio Pro1410-HD display and my PIO VSX-1014TX-K Receiver.

Brian:

I just checked out the 61" Plasma display you have and wow! That looks incredible!

I have a feeling that you are going to be upgrading that VSX-1014 to a VSX-56TXi or VSX-59TXi pretty soon. You would really benefit from using the iLink on the DV-59AVi to a Elite receiver.
post #468 of 2187 Old 03-01-2005, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone with DVE know the best way to set the contrast on a DLP or similar display using the grayscale ramp? I think I've got it close, but I'd like to know the proper way. Brightness is straightforward, but I don't understand completely what to do with the contrast... Thanks...

BTW, I've been pretty impressed with the player so far. Well mastered DVDs and superbit DVDs look great... almost as good as HD... certainly better than any SD that I have ever seen Plus no macroblocking...
post #469 of 2187 Old 03-01-2005, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bkushner
I just pulled the plug and ordered one of these after reading this entire thread (over a few hours). I paid about $200 more from an authorized local dealer then I could have online but I don't mind supporting the local store and it's well worth the 2 year warranty...

Agreed, and that's route I took as well.

Regarding that disc memory thingie, it didn't work for the next disc I put in after DS9 - Star Trek II. Both are Paramount discs - is it possible there's some code on Paramount discs that would prevent Pioneer's disc memory from working? The automatic memory on the Sony worked on these discs. I'll try some more discs.

Doug
post #470 of 2187 Old 03-01-2005, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dougotte
Agreed, and that's route I took as well.

Regarding that disc memory thingie, it didn't work for the next disc I put in after DS9 - Star Trek II. Both are Paramount discs - is it possible there's some code on Paramount discs that would prevent Pioneer's disc memory from working? The automatic memory on the Sony worked on these discs. I'll try some more discs.

Doug

Doug: Did you hit stop twice before removing the DVD? That cancels out the memory.
post #471 of 2187 Old 03-01-2005, 06:03 PM

Quote:

969AVI

The Australian model is 969AVI (US is 59AVI and UK is 868AVI, just for completeness).

As I understand the US model is available in "black", UK is "silver" only and Australian is "Gold" only !

The other specifications are exactly the same as the US model, (thus unlike the UK model there is no SCART port).

Just to chime in, the South-East Asian version is exactly the same as the aforesaid Aussie version -- except we don't get an HDMI cable in the box And of course it is notionally R3, but in reality is region-free right out of the box.

The interesting thing is the manual is for both the 59AVi and 969AVi, and references to the 969AVi call it the "Australian model". The manual does say, when discussing HDMI connections, that you can use "a commercially available HDMI cable", suggesting that HDMI cables are not usually supplied, so perhaps the local Aussie distributor threw them in as an "incentive" -- it was quite bizarre for me, my usual shop didn't have any in stock, and initially loaned me an HDMI to DVI cable, with a DVI to HDMI adapter to clip onto the DVI end...

As an aside, the remote for the 59AVi is different from that for the 969, in that it has a few extra buttons that can control a TV set as well. Would've been nice to have, especially since I have a Pioneer plasma and the remote would've worked on that without any additional configuring.
post #472 of 2187 Old 03-01-2005, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by armoury
Just to chime in, the South-East Asian version is exactly the same as the aforesaid Aussie version -- except we don't get an HDMI cable in the box And of course it is notionally R3, but in reality is region-free right out of the box.

The interesting thing is the manual is for both the 59AVi and 969AVi, and references to the 969AVi call it the "Australian model". The manual does say, when discussing HDMI connections, that you can use "a commercially available HDMI cable", suggesting that HDMI cables are not usually supplied, so perhaps the local Aussie distributor threw them in as an "incentive" -- it was quite bizarre for me, my usual shop didn't have any in stock, and initially loaned me an HDMI to DVI cable, with a DVI to HDMI adapter to clip onto the DVI end...

As an aside, the remote for the 59AVi is different from that for the 969, in that it has a few extra buttons that can control a TV set as well. Would've been nice to have, especially since I have a Pioneer plasma and the remote would've worked on that without any additional configuring.

Yep, I think the local distributer is probably throwing the HDMI cable,

Two other points are well picked up as well:
- Manual is same
- Remotes are different !

Ritesh
post #473 of 2187 Old 03-01-2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob Pariseau
ritesh,
Thanks for posting your review, and the link to your OTHER review!

The version of the 59avi shipping in the US *DOES* include an I-link cable, but as you point out, does NOT include an HDMI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI cable.

Your comment on disc playback memory puzzles me. My experience is that the "Resume" function to restart play from where you stopped a disc only works as long as the given disc remains in the disc tray. If you take out the disc, have a power failure, or hit Stop again while the disc is already stopped, the Resume memory gets cleared and hitting play for that disc will cause it to restart from the beginning. So Stop works like Pause (only without having to worry about screen burn in), but only so long as the disc remains in the tray, power stays connected, and you don't hit Stop a second time.

Yep, that's exactly how it works.... now that I have rechecked it.....shouldn't have been so overenthusiastic.... I guess it is still better than nothing.....

Quote:

Now I haven't played with the "Program List" features of the 59avi yet since I almost always just play discs through from start to end. The ability to store a Program List for up to 24 discs and have it recalled automatically when you re-insert the disc seems great for folks who want to do selective play, but of no particular value for folks who play discs through normally.

I guess it is "nice to have", for some party or something, one can setup playlists.....

Quote:

But have you found an easy way to use that feature to get the equivalent of a Resume function for multiple DVD-Video discs? I.e., have you found an easy way to play disc A, stop it, replace it with disc B, stop it, re-insert disc A and have it automatically pick up where it was playing when you stopped it, and then re-insert disc B and have it also automatically pick up where it was playing when you stopped it?

There have been numerous requests for just such a feature on the 59avi, so if you've figured out an easy way to make it happen, please do tell us.
--Bob

No, I thought that's how it worked, but should have tested a bit more carefully.... I guess the above feature is on my wishlist as well then.....

Thanks, I have updated my original post accordingly...

cheers,

Ritesh
post #474 of 2187 Old 03-01-2005, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by btiltman
Hi Ritesh,

1. What is the firmware version of the current Australian model?

This is what it says:
Region: 1/ver: 1.516(16)/AV1:2.0/2.8

I am not sure what the various portions of the above information means, but I think the above means that the firmware version is 516?

Quote:

2. Does the Australian model have the Y/C delay issues discussed at various times through this thread. (may be related to the firmware version?)

I haven't checked it yet, if someone can be kind enough to explain which pattern/s of the DVE might be useful for checking the above that would be much appreciated? (don't have access to AVIA)

Quote:

3. Likewise, a lot of people seemed to have various experiences using a variety of writable media. Have you tried DVD+R or more importantly DVD+R Dual Layer?

I have tested various disks that I had trouble with on the Denons; they have played flawlessly. I have tried a few DVD+R disks, no problems, and only 1 DVD+R DL disk which seemed to have worked. But will over the next few days try more DVD+R DL disks and then will report the findings.....

But, in addition to the DVD-r/-rw/+r/+rw etc.; I also had lots of problems with ALL the denons that I tried with normal original disks (rented etc.); none of them have given me any problems on the Pioneer.....

Ritesh
post #475 of 2187 Old 03-02-2005, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also had lots of problems with ALL the denons that I tried with normal original disks (rented etc.); none of them have given me any problems on the Pioneer.....

Ritesh

Thanks for all the info Ritesh!

I am intrigued by the disk reading issues as I was able to borrow a 2910 and a 3910 for extended periods and they were flawless playing all disks, even some rentals that looked like they should be thrown in the rubbish bin, and all my various home made ones! Checked the forums for the above and couldnt see much mention of these probs either. I was hoping the Pioneer would be as good as the Denon in this respect and it sounds like it is.

Sounds like the Firmware is up to date as well, going by comments about 506 being the newest not long ago. So I imagine the Y/C delay is fine as well, as this seemed to be fixed in firmware prior to 516.

Thanks,
Bill.
post #476 of 2187 Old 03-02-2005, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Fred Krampits
Doug: Did you hit stop twice before removing the DVD? That cancels out the memory.

No. On the problem discs (don't really know if it's the discs or the player), all of the program list functions were grayed out and the player wouldn't let me choose any of them, so I never got to the point of creating a program or memory, much less actually removing the disc afterward.

I'll play with some more discs when I get a chance. I was helping my daughter get ready for a math test last night.

Doug
post #477 of 2187 Old 03-02-2005, 09:22 AM

Quote:

This is what it says:
Region: 1/ver: 1.516(16)/AV1:2.0/2.8

I am not sure what the various portions of the above information means, but I think the above means that the firmware version is 516?

Interesting: mine is 1.526. I wonder what, if any, differences there are? FWIW, build date is January 2005
post #478 of 2187 Old 03-02-2005, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

So is there a new firmware rev then? Or is that only for the australian model?
post #479 of 2187 Old 03-02-2005, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am recovering from a total replacement of the 3 tubes in my Sony KP57WV700 RPTV which developed a widely-known flicker problem. The tech installed the new tubes,. aligned them and converged each one, before calling it "good." So I am now trying to "reaquaint" my DV59AVi player with the TV and setting up picture adjustments from Avia and DVE for the Sony's various pic modes: mainly STANDARD and MOVIE. Since the tubes were replaced it seems that BRIGHTNESS and CONTRAST are way off and I can't seem to get them adjusted properly. One question I had was how should I set the player's black level for doing these adjustments: at 0 IRE or 7.5 IRE? And then should I use this same setting for actual DVD viewing? What does "IRE" stand for anyway? I am using a component feed thru my Pioneer VSX56TXi receiver, but I also have the DV59 connected to the Sony via a Monster HDMI to DVI breakout cable and frankly, I seem to prefer the component feed rather than the HMDI. Is this normal? Back to adjusting...
What is the best pattern for adjusting "Contrast" with my display? The "needle pulse" pattern doesn't work too well, since the line never bends. Unfortunately, my Sony only has "GLOBAL" adjustments with their four picture modes, so I can't set each input for optimum performance separately. I just try to use either STARDARD OR MOVIE modes and then switch to the appropriate mode depending on what I'm viewing. Anyway, I would appreciate any help and advice you guys can give me on this. thanks a bunch!

William R. Moore
post #480 of 2187 Old 03-02-2005, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

If the inputs on your TV work the same at 0 IRE or 7.5 IRE, then it doesn't matter what you set it to as long as you can get a good setting on the TV that allows you to see the full dynamic range... the IRE is just a reference level for the signal. If you find that you can't see the full range of black level at one setting, then try the other one. You should use the blacker than black test pattern with gray bars on DVE to set the brightness properly.

I still don't know how to adjust contrast properly with DVE since I have a DLP. For your CRT, it should be easier as DVE steps you through it.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page