Pioneer Elite 59avi Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2187 Old 04-08-2005, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can some one share their experience settings, connection 59avi to Sony GW 4 LCD/RPTV, 60XS955, or 55XS955?, connected via HDMI
Thnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2187 Old 04-08-2005, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Correct me if I'm wrong on this, I think we've missed answering Daniel's question on whether the DV-59AVi will sound better than the garden variety $150 DVD player like the DV-578As for example.

Connecting to the receiver via digital coax or optical, most of the sound processing will be done by the receiver he's connected to. So in that case, maybe there won't be that much of a difference. The receiver is going to be the difference.

Now if he is connecting to a Pioneer Elite receiver via iLink, there's going to be a much better audio sound, but then again it's being processed on the receiver level. I personally love the way the iLink delivers the audio.

Now in the case of SACD/DVD Audio on the analog from the DV-59AVi and comparing it to the analog from the DV-578As, the DV-59AVi is going to totally blow the lesser player away. I've owned both.

So the question is for Daniel now, in which way are you going to be listening to audio and what kind of a receiver are you using with the player?
post #723 of 2187 Old 04-08-2005, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
That was not Daniel's question. He was asking about DAC chip models and later analog stages, to help himself draw his own conclusions about the DV-59AVi compared to the DVD-5910. So I think it's pretty clear that he is beyond the level of discussion so far.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #724 of 2187 Old 04-08-2005, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by AVfile
Some info here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi

Punch in Pioneer Elite.

I've already looked there and the infos are incomplete...

MPEG Maker: unknown
MPEG Model: unknown
Deinterlacer Maker: Pure Progressive Cinema
Deinterlacer Model:

Thanks anyway. I guess nobody knows...
post #725 of 2187 Old 04-08-2005, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AVfile
That was not Daniel's question. He was asking about DAC chip models and later analog stages, to help himself draw his own conclusions about the DV-59AVi compared to the DVD-5910. So I think it's pretty clear that he is beyond the level of discussion so far.

Bingo. But apparently I was not clear enough in my post and I was given the "double blind w. golden ears/ since you can hear it it's not important, garden DVD will be equally good for you" argument...

Yes, 59avi and 5910 are in completely different price brackets. Apples and oranges. But just for comparison sake I wanted to look on TECHNICAL grounds at what's important to me and evaulate if the price difference is worth MY needs.

Was that too much to ask ?

Anyway, since there is only one 59avi I got my answer at the link I posted above.

Cheers,

F.

P.S. For the record, I am looking for a not-too-expensive universal player that has top-end DACs / audio analog and can function decently in a high-end stereo today, later (when getting old) to be integrated in a low/mid home cinema setup (needs to have Firewire/HDMI, audio decoded in the newer/better AVR).
post #726 of 2187 Old 04-09-2005, 02:47 PM

Oops, meant to post here:

I have a question regarding picture alignment/geometry. My Mits 62725 has been set up using the internal set up / alignment test patterns. It is perfectly aligned using those patterns. When I dispaly the test patterns in AVIA or DVE, the picture is off centered to the left. With my returned Denon 2910 you could align the picture from the DVD player setup menu. I don't think you can do this with the 59avi.

I am using the HDMI output directly to the TV. Anyone else seen this and have a solution to offer?.
post #727 of 2187 Old 04-09-2005, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone compared the hdmi/dvi out to the component out.
I run the component in auto2 ,7.5 setup and this seems to give me much more detail in the low blacks.
Using the hdmi/dvi out with this setup you have to really lower the contrast and boost the color to get anywhere near the same great picture.
Using 0 setup instead of 7.5 the blacker than black bar in DVE is crushed compared to the 7.5.
I watched fifth element and wow! i,m staying with the component out on this player
post #728 of 2187 Old 04-09-2005, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Using 0 setup instead of 7.5 the blacker than black bar in DVE is crushed compared to the 7.5.

Good thing you checked. Also, it's not uncommon for analog and digital inputs to have completely different PQ settings from the same DVD player.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #729 of 2187 Old 04-11-2005, 07:02 PM

I am in Australia and have a DV-S969AVi (Oz equivalent of the 59). When setting the HDMI color settings to anything other than ENHANCED I get a purple screen and purple tinge to menus etc.i.e I have a Pioneer 435 plasma and it is connected to the player via direct HDMI.. I have resolution set to 1080i on the player... Any ideas why this occurs.. ?
post #730 of 2187 Old 04-13-2005, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I recently bought a 59AVi to replace a Toshiba RDXS32 DVR as my primary DVD player, as well as to add SACD/DVD-A functionality and i.Link connectivity to my 56TXi receiver.

While the 59AVi seems to have better PQ than the DVR, I have noticed a few quirks my other DVD players (all Toshiba) have not had. For instance, my 2 year old daughter likes to watch Elmo (Sesame Street) DVD's and some of them will not play on the 59AVi. I get a "check disc" error message displayed on my TV. Yet, the same disc will play flawlessly on my other DVD/DVR players. This past weekend I started playing Star Wars - A New Hope and when I went to the DVD's Options menu and selected the language (it's an old habit I always manually select the 5.1 etc sourround sound) and hit enter, the DVD froze and on the players display the Chapter number was blinking. I removed the disk and cleaned it several times and it continued to do this. There were no significant scratches or "dirt" on it. I went up stairs and put it in a basic Toshiba DVD player and it played just fine. I went back downstairs and was finally able to get the disk to play by quickly skipping the chapters past the main menu and THX sequence. This only happend with SW - A New Hope DVD issue, the other 4 Star Wars DVD's play perfectly.

I don't know if this is a problem, but when I put a DVD-R in that my local boat club made, I had to turn off progressive scan to get it to play, otherwise it would play a frame, and freeze for many seconds, play a frame and freeze, etc. This doesn't bother me much, I assume it's just cause it's a DVD-R and it's not high-qulaity material or critical viewing anyway

I'm mainly bothered by the fact that a $1000 flagship DVD player has these issues, but a 4 year old mainstream DVD player does not.
post #731 of 2187 Old 04-13-2005, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You might want to report these problems to your dealer and if you continue to have problems you can certainly request to replace the "defective" unit with a new one. Also check the troubleshooting pages in the manual. Sometimes they can help. I once had an SACD which my 59 AVi wouldn't play and I sent the disc back to Telarc for a replacement, but I have yet to check the replacement disc. I have found over the years, especially with video, that the more costly and complex and equipment is, the greater potential for problems. P.S. I also have a 56TXi which is connected to my 59 via the Ilink. I really like that. Do you?

William R. Moore
post #732 of 2187 Old 04-13-2005, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Monty:

If you bought the player at a local dealer you may want to visit them with the DVD and see if the Star Wars DVD has the same problem on one of their floor models. I've played hundreds of DVDs in mine now and have not had a single problem. DVDRs have worked fine as well.
post #733 of 2187 Old 04-14-2005, 09:29 AM

This is an open question to anybody who has information regarding SDI modifications to the 59avi.

I have been searching all of the avs forum threads for information regarding SDI modifications to the Pioneer 59avi.

I was wondering if anyone knows where I may be able to find information regarding the correct wire connection points on the video processing board for the Pioneer 59avi using a Pixel Magic Systems SDI modification board (BT656 Pro).

I have already found the 27 MHz clock signal (4 V P-P confirmed at SDI mod board with a 60 MHz Tektronix DSO), the 5 Volt supply, and what I believe is the 8-bit signal from the MPEG2 decoder. But all I see on the TV screen through my DVDO iScan HD+ with the SDI input selected is a black screen, sometimes with sporadic bits of video information (or something else?).

I just want to verify that my connections are correct before I try to troubleshoot the iScan or the PMS SDI board.

Your help would be appreciated.
post #734 of 2187 Old 04-14-2005, 10:10 AM

This might seem like a stupid question, but since the 59 does 480i over HDMI, what is the point of doing an SDI Mod to it? Won't an HDMI/DVI cable work for the iScan HD+?

"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat."
-- Douglas Adams
post #735 of 2187 Old 04-14-2005, 10:22 AM

This might seem like a stupid question, but since the 59 does 480i over HDMI, what is the point of doing an SDI Mod to it? Won't an HDMI/DVI cable work for the iScan HD+?
The iScan HD+ does not input 480i over the DVI input...yet. I have heard some recent responses from DVDO that they have thought about adding this functionality through an update to the HD+, but not to count on it as it may never happen.
post #736 of 2187 Old 04-14-2005, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

The Lumagens accept a 480i signal over DVI.
post #737 of 2187 Old 04-14-2005, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Robert Whitehead
The Lumagens accept a 480i signal over DVI.

Yep.

How much is the Lumagen scaler?
post #738 of 2187 Old 04-14-2005, 04:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Rob Tomlin
Yep.

How much is the Lumagen scaler?

My PJ dealer carries them affordably I believe www.hometheaterdoc.com. They guys here probably do as well.
post #739 of 2187 Old 04-15-2005, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Need help? sony GW4 owners pls? thnx
post #740 of 2187 Old 04-15-2005, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Who's going to A/B the Oppo Digital DVD player (Secrets Score of 94) against the DV-59AVi?
post #741 of 2187 Old 04-15-2005, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Robert Whitehead
Who's going to A/B the Oppo Digital DVD player (Secrets Score of 94) against the DV-59AVi?

MB problem = no care...
post #742 of 2187 Old 04-17-2005, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

There is a poll in the Video Processors section of AVS for those interested in passing 480i over HDMI to the scaler DVDO IScan HD+ here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=531123

It would be nice if 59avi owners interested in that "feature" would go there and vote also, since the 59avi is still one of the few players out there that can pass 480i over HDMI...
post #743 of 2187 Old 04-17-2005, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Please post and give input on the poll. I will guarantee it gets to various sources at DVDO. Thanks.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=531123
post #744 of 2187 Old 04-19-2005, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Last week I posted to this thread regarding some issues with my 59's inability to properly play a few disks - wouldn't play a Sesame Street Elmo DVD, would only play my boat clubs DVD-RW disk if I turned off progresive scan, and would only play my Star Wars Episode IV disk if I skipped past the menu's directly to the feature.

I returned my player to ABT Electronics today and was even more impressed with them than ever. I originally bought my 59AVi as a demo/floor model at a great price. When I went in this morning, all I wanted to do was trade it in on a new one and pay the difference, ~$200. To my surprise, they gave me a brand new, sealed box 59AVi in exchange for my floor model/demo 59AVi. So in the end I ended up with a brand new played for less than 50% MSRP.

After hooking up the i.Link and my component cables to my 56TXi and plugging it in and setting it up, I immediately tried the disks that gave me problems before and the played flawlessly.

I don't know if it's my mind playing tricks on me, but I'd swear the PQ was even better. I'd noticed a few situations with the previous 59 where there was blooming, outlining (like too much sharpness), and some grainy textures on certain images that are no longer present with the new 59 even though my display is calibrated correctly for sharpness, brightness, etc.

I love ABT! It pays to find a good retailer and stick with them.
post #745 of 2187 Old 04-19-2005, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Monty:

This one probably has newer firmware which could result in the difference in pic quality. Glad to hear that the DVDs played now. I have not had a single problem with a disc yet.

You sound as happy with yours now as I am with mine!
post #746 of 2187 Old 04-20-2005, 10:33 AM

I am fairly new to this arena and have just purchased a 59avi to go with my 56txi. I have it hooked up via ilink and component running through my AVR to a mistubishi 55" HDTV (no HDMI/DVI input). I have done my best to set up my monitor video settings using the DVE DVD but now I see the 59avi has its own settings some of which are the same at the tv has (black level, contrast, etc). How do the settings on the TV and the settings on the DVD player interact with one another. If I have already set the monitor settings, do I have to set the dvd settings too?

To be honest, I do not see much picture quality differnce between the 59avi and the standard progressive scan dvd player I had previously...so maybe I don't have it set up properly. I am certainly not an expert in Video processing and don't know what half of the video settings on the 59avi do...so some help would be much appreciated

Thx,

Dan R.
post #747 of 2187 Old 04-20-2005, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

set your player settings to DIRECT and make adjustments on the tv. As far as upconversion usually flat panel tvs benefit the most from this (LCD, Plasma). I don't know how component looks from this player as most people are probably using hdmi/dvi with it. Use DVE to calibrate your tv settings. Oh, and lemme know how the 56txi sounds with Ilink as I'm thinking about getting that receiver

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #748 of 2187 Old 04-20-2005, 12:15 PM

Thanks.

The ilink sounds very crisp, clean and clear. I have only had the dvd player for a week so I plan on doing more exploration. The reciever has no trouble pushing my 4ohm m&k's and sounds great. I think I have read somewhere that the DAC's on the 59avi are better than on the 56txi but when connected through ilink, you are using the ones from the AVR. So far I have not compared the DVD-A/SACD via the mutiple line hookup to ilink so I can't give you feedback there.

Dan R.
post #749 of 2187 Old 04-22-2005, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Kris Derring of Secrets (from thread on new Benchmark Tests);

In the end I still feel the Denon 5910 and Pioneer 59AVi are the showcase players right now that should look great regardless of display. [MB not an issue w/either.] The Oppo is great for video but only if you don't have the MB issue. The 5910 is way up there in price, too.

The 3910 is a phenomenal player IF you don't have any MB issues. The 59AVi and 3910 are breakthrough products in terms of features and build for the price, but the 3910 has the MB caveat, that may be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Summary: If you have MB problem: 1) Denon 5910; 2) Pioneer 59AVi.
If you don't have MB problem: 1) Denon 5910; 2) Denon 3910/Pioneer 59AVi; 3) Oppo.

Can't wait to see Kris' now 59AVi ratings.
post #750 of 2187 Old 04-22-2005, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I've got the Oppo (latest firmware), 59AVi (latest firmware), and the Samsung 850 sitting in my theater room waiting for my new H79 to arrive. I can't wait to compare the performance on them.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page