Pioneer Elite 59avi Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2187 Old 05-26-2005, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are you guys talking about removing the DVD from the player, then reinserting it and having it play where it left off?

Otherwise, my Elite definitely will start playing where it left off the night before (or when last played) as long as you don't remove the DVD from the player.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2187 Old 05-26-2005, 10:57 PM

Liked: 10
Rob, there are players out there that will remember where you left off on up to, say, ten disks. For example I could be watching my copy of "The Aviator", stop it half-way through and pop in a rented version of "The Life Aquatic", then after I watch "The Life Aquatic" I could put "The Aviator" back in and it would start from the point I left off. A lot of players out there have this feature and I for one would use it a lot just as I described. Obviously it wasn't a deal breaker for me as I purchased the 59 anyway, but it would be nice to have this feature.
post #903 of 2187 Old 05-27-2005, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

I just ordered my new 59avi and am awaiting arrival. One quick question: Can you adjust ALL video controls via HDMI? My 2910 does not let me adjust Gamma, both sharpness controls, and something else that I cannot remember. Those are only for component.

I am hoping the 59 lets me do all of it.

Jeff
post #904 of 2187 Old 05-27-2005, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lemke View Post

I just ordered my new 59avi and am awaiting arrival. One quick question: Can you adjust ALL video controls via HDMI? My 2910 does not let me adjust Gamma, both sharpness controls, and something else that I cannot remember. Those are only for component.

I am hoping the 59 lets me do all of it.

Jeff

you can adjust all those video controls via HDMI...
post #905 of 2187 Old 05-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Very good.

Jeff
post #906 of 2187 Old 05-27-2005, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Sorry if this was asked and answered elsewhere in this thread, but glancing through I didn't see it.

How is the Bass Management on the 59AVi? I have a DV-47A, and it won't let you select "small" on the speaker mains. Consequently when listening to Stereo SACD audio or any 2-channel audio that uses the discrete outputs, the subwoofer channel is muted. Really crappy bass management IMO.

- Rutgar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #907 of 2187 Old 05-27-2005, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I asked similar question a while ago in one of the threads & I was told that 59AVi has bass management & crossover is set at 80Hz. Hopefully somebody can confirm that as the manual is very poor in this regard.

Vinod
post #908 of 2187 Old 05-27-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

Sorry if this was asked and answered elsewhere in this thread, but glancing through I didn't see it.

How is the Bass Management on the 59AVi? I have a DV-47A, and it won't let you select "small" on the speaker mains. Consequently when listening to Stereo SACD audio or any 2-channel audio that uses the discrete outputs, the subwoofer channel is muted. Really crappy bass management IMO.

Try "stopping" the cd/dvd or better take it out; and then go to the menu; the setting/s you are after should be available for you to use.

Ritesh
post #909 of 2187 Old 05-27-2005, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritesh View Post

Try "stopping" the cd/dvd or better take it out; and then go to the menu; the setting/s you are after should be available for you to use.

Ritesh

Please don't take this wrong; But what are you talking about?

- Rutgar

post #910 of 2187 Old 05-27-2005, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
The 59AVi does indeed have BM for SACD and DVD-A. I have also heard the 80 Hz number for the crossover as very likely, but never confirmed.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

post #911 of 2187 Old 05-27-2005, 10:21 PM

I am trying to connect with a hdmi-dvi cable. I have access to the onscreen menus this way, but the hdmi option is greyed out. No video is seen from DVD's.
Any suggestions as to why I can see the onscreen commands but not the dvd's themselves. The front display hdmi light does not light up.

The cable I was using was bad. changed the cable, everything works great.
post #912 of 2187 Old 05-28-2005, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobo View Post

I am trying to connect with a hdmi-dvi cable. I have access to the onscreen menus this way, but the hdmi option is greyed out. No video is seen from DVD's.
Any suggestions as to why I can see the onscreen commands but not the dvd's themselves. The front display hdmi light does not light up.

Thanks

What display are you using? Is it HDCP compliant?
post #913 of 2187 Old 05-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

has anyone successfully used dual discs in the 59? It sounds like Pioneer isn't fully supportive of this technology yet.

post #914 of 2187 Old 05-28-2005, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

Please don't take this wrong; But what are you talking about?

You said one of menu/s that you were trying to access was greyed out.... I suspect it is because you were trying to access that menu when some disk must still be in the disk drive and possibly playing.

I merely suggested you should first press the "stop" button to stop the disk. Or better take the disk out. This, I believe, will enable all the menus and will allow you to change them as you wish; which is what you were trying to achieve.

Hope this explains it better,

Ritesh
post #915 of 2187 Old 05-28-2005, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobo View Post

The cable I was using was bad. changed the cable, everything works great.

See my recent post/s about ensuring there are no disks playing when you are trying to access the menu system.

If a particular menu option is greyed out; firstly ensure that there are no disks playing; or better taken the disk out. AND then try to access the same menu.

If that still doesn't work; I'd try to ensure that the cables are securely plugged in. AND would try any option for the corresponding inputs on the TV.

Many TVs have certain options for DVI and other inputs; ensure that they are set properly. As an example, my Hitachi has the option to set the DVI to be either "DVI-STB" or "DVI-PC"; if your display has similar options try to toggle between them.

Lastly, in the HDMI settings for the Pioneer player; ensure you are sending a resolution that your TV can handle; as an example if your TV cannot handle, say 1080i; no point trying to send it that.....

These are all the suggestions that I have now....

Hope it helps,

Ritesh
post #916 of 2187 Old 05-29-2005, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the NIN DualDisc. Plays fine. I personally don't like the format, but in this case there is no DVD-A or SACD version.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

post #917 of 2187 Old 05-31-2005, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Does anybody knows where to get a TECHNICAL User manual for the 59 (or the european 868 which is the same) which describe without being patronising (like the one I got with the unit does) all the options in the menus ?

One example: HDMI Details (what does this mean a part from "the details when viewing HDMI" ?
another example : Auto 1, Auto 2, On, Off (can I have a description of the algorithm used to deinterlace) ? Is only the deinterlacing affected ? which one is cadence, which one is looking to flags?
last example: video mode : Direct, memory1, memory2, etc. What is direct ? Is this equivalent to memory1 with all set to default ? What about the pure-cinema thingy when in "direct".

I'm reaaally annoyed by the low quality of these manuals which treat the user like an idiot.

Anyway stop complaining. Has anybody a documen/service/manual/white paper/tech spec which describes in details all these ?

Thanks in advance.

PS I have the same problem with my new H78 projector where I'm provided a RS232 IF and a cable but I'm not told what is for ....
post #918 of 2187 Old 05-31-2005, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe the only Manual you can get is the Repair Manual from Pioneer. Some of these Manuals have descriptions of the circuits and how they work. Most don't. They just give disassembly, technical tests, and part numbers. Usually they don't cost that much so it might be worth a try.
post #919 of 2187 Old 05-31-2005, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead View Post

I believe the only Manual you can get is the Repair Manual from Pioneer. Some of these Manuals have descriptions of the circuits and how they work. Most don't. They just give disassembly, technical tests, and part numbers. Usually they don't cost that much so it might be worth a try.

Is it for sale somewhere you could kindly point me to ?

TIA
post #920 of 2187 Old 05-31-2005, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I have the DV-45a service manual. It certainly doesn't give you any more detailed *operating* instructions than the plain user's manual. I bought mine just to trace how the signal gets routed for various types of input.

You buy these manuals direct from Pioneer. On their website, look up a parts list for your model #, it's usually on there. Otherwise call them.

But most of your questions would be better answered by just emailing them to Pionneer tech support.
post #921 of 2187 Old 06-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

I am having a tough time accessing menus for DVD-Audios. I have a 59avi connected directly to a JVC HX1 via HDMI/DVI for video and to an HK7300 via 5.1 analog for audio.

I can't get the DVD-Audio menus to show, unless I go into the 59avi menus and change the DVD setiing to video from audio. Then, the menus show, but on Hotel California, for example, only the DD and DTS options are available...no 5.1 or stereo hi-rez.

What am I doing wrong?!? Should the DVD setting be set to DVD-A or DVD-V?

Thanks,
James
post #922 of 2187 Old 06-01-2005, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprfly2k View Post

I can't get the DVD-Audio menus to show, unless I go into the 59avi menus and change the DVD setiing to video from audio. Then, the menus show, but on Hotel California, for example, only the DD and DTS options are available...no 5.1 or stereo hi-rez.

I'm using the same configuration (same projector), but I'm also running a composite cable out from the 59avi to my pre/pro and then to a small 7" LCD screen at my listening position, to avoid opening the projector for nothing. That way, I have access to the the menu on the small LCD screen when listening to a DVD-A or SACD.

post #923 of 2187 Old 06-01-2005, 11:19 AM

Suprfly2k,
It is my understanding that DVD-A menus will not show via HDMI. I have my 59 hooked up HDMI and component and I have switch to component on my monitor to view DVD-A menus.

Wherever you go, there you are..
post #924 of 2187 Old 06-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

I have confirmed that this is, in fact, the case. I included a component connection, and I am in business.

As a side note, I compared the various flavors of component to the various flavors of HDMI on my W. Phelps calibrated PJ, and I prefer both the colors and quality of the HDMI connection more.

BTW, how many of you are using 1:1 pixel mapping?

James
post #925 of 2187 Old 06-02-2005, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

I have an HK7300 receiver that allows for two 6-channel inputs: one that is direct, that is, no bass management is done by the receiver and the signal from the 59avi just passes directly to the volume control. And the second takes the analog signal from the DVD player, converts it to digital and applies very comprehensive bass-management (in my case, 30 HZ FL/R, and 80 everywhere else, including LFE).

The 59avi has only two options: large and small. I have two questions. First, since so much is made about the "analog" signal of SACD and DVD-A, am I negating some of the advantage by letting my receiver convert the signal to digital and applying BM? Second, if I decide to let me receiver do the BM, how do I handle the BM on the DVD player? Large, small, or ignore it?

James
post #926 of 2187 Old 06-02-2005, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprfly2k View Post

As a side note, I compared the various flavors of component to the various flavors of HDMI on my W. Phelps calibrated PJ, and I prefer both the colors and quality of the HDMI connection more.

BTW, how many of you are using 1:1 pixel mapping?

Same here. The HDMI connection is superior to the component connection. But like William said, there is no HDMI/DVI player on the market now that is not using filters and other gimmicks even on the digital video connection. The only "pure" signal is still SDI.

I'm not doing a 1:1 pixel map with my 59avi, but instead using the full panel resolution of the HX1U at 1400X788 with a DVDO IScan HD+. With the 59avi alone, you are sending either a 720p signal that is then scale again (double scaling) at 1400X788 by the internal scaler of the projector if using the "Panel" setting, or using only a fraction of the panel if using the "1:1" setting (720p then) . The difference is minor, but I can clearly see it.

But both configurations are pretty good on the HX1U.

post #927 of 2187 Old 06-02-2005, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWOJO View Post

Suprfly2k,
It is my understanding that DVD-A menus will not show via HDMI. I have my 59 hooked up HDMI and component and I have switch to component on my monitor to view DVD-A menus.

I'm getting all my DVD-A menus with the HDMI connection. I'm using an HDMI-DVI cable to a XBR950 LCD. Audio is I-link to a 56TXI.

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #928 of 2187 Old 06-02-2005, 11:52 AM

I hooked up my HDMI cable from the 59 to my XBR960 and the picture looks terrible. It has a heavy red push. Compared to component cables, well..there is no comparison. Component is clean and bright. HDMI is wacked. I don't get it, I'm more curious than anything about why there would be such a huge difference. Any suggestions?
post #929 of 2187 Old 06-02-2005, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First, since so much is made about the "analog" signal of SACD and DVD-A, am I negating some of the advantage by letting my receiver convert the signal to digital and applying BM?

Yes. However, I personally think the improvement of a good multichannel mix over a good stereo mix is a much bigger deal than the sound quality differences between CD and DVD-A/SACD. So putting a 24/96 conversion in there isn't the end of the world, IMO. I also used to "stress" about all the BM issues. But what I found that works the best for me and my setup, is no BM at all for DVD-A and SACD. I still do use it for CD and DVD-V, but DVD-A and SACD for me is mostly music, and most "music" does not have a lot of content below 40 Hz.

Quote:

Second, if I decide to let me receiver do the BM, how do I handle the BM on the DVD player?

All large, sub on. You want full range signals from the player to the receiver if the receiver is going to do the BM.

post #930 of 2187 Old 06-03-2005, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

OK. I've had my new 59avi connected to the 7700 projector for a couple of days now. At first I was not that impressed (I've been using Denon 2910) as the picture was much too noisy. As it truned out, I had things set up to sharp and trying to milk to much detail. There are so many combnations of sharpness/detail/NR settings that it took a while to find the right combo.

What I seem to have settled on was higher detail with HDMI DETAIL setting and everything else low (or lower). NR filters are mid low. With a good DVD (AOTC, for example) it looks better that alot of high def signals I've seen. LOTS of detail and a clean, solid, flicker free image. If I look hard enough I can still see compression artifacts, but certainly not Macro Blocking type.

Oh yea, I do not have much of an ear, but DVD-A blows away the 2910 enough for me to really notice. Very good. Bought it brand new (not refurb) online for $669, $10 less than I paid for the 2910 last fall.

Jeff
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page