Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 2187 Old 05-04-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
+1 what Hkan says, morse13

Trying to remember... I believe I also had problems with my DV-59AVi the first time I hooked it up.

What I did was reset it via the instructions in the manual:
page 83 of the DV-59AVi/DV-S969AVi manual:

Resetting the player
Use this procedure to reset all the player's
settings to the factory default.
1 Switch the player into standby.
2 Using the front panel buttons, hold
down the(stop) button and pressSTANDBY/ON to switch the player back on.
All the player's settings are now reset, and
you should see the Let's Get Started' screen.

After that, everything worked flawlessly. Able to use HDMI and components.. FTR, after experimenting with the various output configurations, I prefer component out on the DV-59AVi at 480i and letting either my Kuro or my SC-09 do the upscaling. For my DV-79AVi I prefer HDMI, also at 480i.
DV-59AVi > SC-09 > Kuro

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2187 Old 05-04-2010, 10:04 PM

Liked: 10
Thank you Hkan and CHP_VR. I just tried that and it worked, although not at first. After the reset procedure the HDMI light was still flashing. I then tried moving the DVD player from HDMI input 2 on the SC-05 to HDMI input 3 and it finally worked. Not sure what the issue was as I had tried all 4 HDMI inputs on the SC-05 while trouble shooting this. Glad to have it working again though.
post #2163 of 2187 Old 05-04-2010, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There might be a problem with the HDMI input 2 on your AVR.
It could be a loose contact and you should check it out!

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
Has "everything" for your Pioneer!
!!We need your support!!
post #2164 of 2187 Old 05-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morse13 View Post

I have a DV-59AVi that I had running HDMI to a Pioneer SC-05 and out to a Loewe Spheros 42HD plasma on a HDMI to DVI cable and it always worked with no problems. I just replaced the Loewe with a Pioneer KRP-500M and now seem to be having HDMI issues. The HDMI light on the DV-59AVi is flashing and will only allow me to view the Pioneer logo and setup menus. In the setup menu the HDMI options are greyed out. I have checked the firmware and it is version (1.506(16) / AV1 : 2.0/2.8). I work for a custom A/V company and bought the unit off a client after upgrading them to BluRay. Will the V1.526 firmware update fix this problem and if so is it still available? Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

When the HDMI light is flashing it means it has found a HDMI termination but not able to handshake. I get a flashing blue HDMI light if I turn off my projector and leave the VP processor turned on. If I turn the VP off no blue light but not audio through HDMI. I assume some units are designed to allow passing audio without a HDMI handshake and this is not one of them.
post #2165 of 2187 Old 12-17-2010, 03:51 PM

Liked: 36
Hi I sent you a PM.
post #2166 of 2187 Old 12-18-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

DV59AVi/79AVi will pass
DVD-A multichannel PCM via HDMI

I thought only the 79AVi could do that?

I had the hankshake (flashing blue light) problem too - so I've removed the 59AVi from my main system.

I will try the RESET trick, if it's worth connecting for DVD-A via HDMI.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #2167 of 2187 Old 12-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In my user manual for the DV-59Avi, the footnote says that "it is not possible to ouput SACD or [b]copy controlledDVD-Audio CPPM sources from the HDMI connection."[b] Are'nt commercial DVD-A all copy protectected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

I had the hankshake (flashing blue light) problem too - so I've removed the 59AVi from my main system.

post #2168 of 2187 Old 12-18-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post

In my user manual for the DV-59Avi, the footnote says that "it is not possible to ouput SACD or [b]copy controlledDVD-Audio CPPM sources from the HDMI connection."[b] Are'nt commercial DVD-A all copy protectected?

The DV59AVi is HDMI 1.1. It should be able to output MCH PCM w/no issues (native format of DVD-Audio). The fact that HDCP is active on this HDMI connection allows safe passage of protected content.

I'm spoiled w/the iLink connection so I'll have to disconnect it and try over HDMI to see if my expectations are true.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #2169 of 2187 Old 12-19-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Damn... even with the RESET trick it's still no go for my Anthem with this Pioneer. The 59AVi's HT days are now over (relegated to the stereo system for playing stereo DVDs).

So long and thanks for all the fish!

- AVStefan
post #2170 of 2187 Old 12-20-2010, 03:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I bought a DV-58AV to replace the DV-59AVi because of the problem with DVD-A and SACD. I don't have a i-link receiver, so the DV-59AVi is sitting in a closet until i decide what to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post

post #2171 of 2187 Old 03-27-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morse13 View Post
The HDMI light on the DV-59AVi is flashing and will only allow me to view the Pioneer logo and setup menus. In the setup menu the HDMI options are greyed out. I have checked the firmware and it is version (1.506(16) / AV1 : 2.0/2.8). I work for a custom A/V company and bought the unit off a client after upgrading them to BluRay. Will the V1.526 firmware update fix this problem and if so is it still available?
I would like to restate this question because I am having similar symptoms. Except I get no blue HDMI LED at all when connected to my Anthem processor (it only flashes when the receiver is turned off, as you would expect). Right now the player is connected directly to a plasma TV and working fine. I used this to ensure the HDMI setup is all good and dropped the resolution down to 480i. I even performed the reset procedure.

When connected to my Anthem is refuses to handshake and I only get basic setup menus, no HDMI options, and no video when playing a DVD. Anthem tech support is saying they think the Pioneer needs a firmware update, but I am already at 1.506 and I suspect they are just stalling me.

Will the V1.526 firmware update fix anything of consequence and if so, is it still available?

- AVStefan
post #2172 of 2187 Old 01-01-2012, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello: I don't know how many of your still own Pioneer's DV59AVi DVD player, which is still a great standard def player with HDMI out and also Firewire out to a compatible Pioneer receiver. Unfortunately, the firewire capability only lasted thru, I believe, only one generation of Pioneer's receivers. Mine is the Pioneer Elite VSX56-TXi, which I am still using even though I bought a Pioneer Elite SC35 receiver last summer. "Separation anxiety" has so far prevented me from replacing my beloved "56." I have a 60' Pioneer Plasma, the KRP600M ISF calibrated, and I use it's DVI input for my DV59 and the 2 HDMI inputs for my Dish Sat receiver and my Oppo BDP83SE Blu player.
One thing has vexed me for several years regarding the DV59 player, which I have connected to the receiver with both the firewire cable and also with a coax digital connection. And that is, when playing back any DVD with a digital track, either Dolby or DTS, is the digital audio transmitted to my receiver via firewire or via the coax? I was thinking that if the firewire connection takes presidence over the coax, then the digital signal being sent to the receiver would be cleaner, right? I'm hoping someone out there can solve this issue, and then maybe, I can move on with an upgrade. Thanks for the help!

William R. Moore
post #2173 of 2187 Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 AM

Did you ever resolve this question?
post #2174 of 2187 Old 02-10-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Easy enough to find out, just play a movie and pull the coax

Anyway I don't think the signal will be cleaner. Coax is as good as the audio is going to get for DVD-V. The firewire was mainly for DVD-A and SACD.

- AVStefan
post #2175 of 2187 Old 02-10-2012, 01:04 PM

Actually, after I wrote the previous post, I checked and discovered that I didn't have any digital coax cable connected ( I think I did at one time), only the firewire cable which transmits any digital signal, including SACD. I think the main advantage, beside being able to pass SACD digitally, the firewire connection has less jitter and therefore should sound somewhat better.

William R. Moore
post #2176 of 2187 Old 02-13-2012, 10:14 AM

If mated to a compatible receiver, such as the Pioneer VSX-59TXi, then PQLS will apply, which should reduce jitter.
post #2177 of 2187 Old 12-29-2012, 04:45 AM

Does anyone know what version of HDMI the 59avi uses? For SACD it needs to be version 1.2 or later to pass DSD over HDMI. I am hooking up a new processor (Marantz AV7005) and trying to figure out if the HDMI signal can pass SACD audio. Since the 59avi was released about the same time as the 1.2 standard I am not sure what they used and the manual does not say (leading me to think its 1.0)

Also wondering if Firmware is upgradable on unit and if so how?
post #2178 of 2187 Old 12-29-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

It is 1.0 HDMI. For SACD you need to use Fire wire or Analog out puts.
post #2179 of 2187 Old 12-29-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britchie911 View Post

Does anyone know what version of HDMI the 59avi uses? For SACD it needs to be version 1.2 or later to pass DSD over HDMI. I am hooking up a new processor (Marantz AV7005) and trying to figure out if the HDMI signal can pass SACD audio. Since the 59avi was released about the same time as the 1.2 standard I am not sure what they used and the manual does not say (leading me to think its 1.0)
Also wondering if Firmware is upgradable on unit and if so how?
As far as I am aware, there never any firmware updates for this model, which I also own. I don't think DVD players had any firmware issues like BluRay does. Also, there weren't too many receivers or processors which were firewire compatible. I have a Pioneer Elite 56TXi receiver which I bought to use with my DV59AVi, but alas, time marched on and this technology didn't, at least in the home theatre realm. Too bad. You will have to use the analog outs for SACD playback.

William R. Moore
post #2180 of 2187 Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 AM

Thanks for info
post #2181 of 2187 Old 08-28-2013, 05:44 PM

Anyone here still using this wonderful DVD player?
post #2182 of 2187 Old 08-28-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

Anyone here still using this wonderful DVD player?
There is at least one...me. I still use mine for DVD playback even though I also own an Oppo BDP-83. The 59 still has an excellent picture. Too bad Pioneer elected not to continue using Firewire for digital playback.

William R. Moore
post #2183 of 2187 Old 08-29-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I use an Oppo BDP-83 too. I only use the Pioneer as a bedroom CD/SACD player now. It wouldn't work via HDMI with my Anthem preamp.

Anthem refused to debug the issue, said update the Pioneer first! The DVD player came with firmware v1.506. There were firmware updates (eg: 1.536) but not user accessible, must go to a Pioneer service shop. I took it to a local shop to get new firmware, but the tech failed - said the motherboard had some kind of defect that prevented any updating and would forever have HDMI issues with receivers. It works directly connected to a TV. Sad because I paid like $1200 for it and by the time I had an HDMI receiver it was out of warranty mad.gif

- AVStefan
post #2184 of 2187 Old 08-29-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

I use an Oppo BDP-83 too. I only use the Pioneer as a bedroom CD/SACD player now. It wouldn't work via HDMI with my Anthem preamp.

Anthem refused to debug the issue, said update the Pioneer first! The DVD player came with firmware v1.506. There were firmware updates (eg: 1.536) but not user accessible, must go to a Pioneer service shop. I took it to a local shop to get new firmware, but the tech failed - said the motherboard had some kind of defect that prevented any updating and would forever have HDMI issues with receivers. It works directly connected to a TV. Sad because I paid like $1200 for it and by the time I had an HDMI receiver it was out of warranty mad.gif
Mine works fine thru HDMI and it never had a firmware upgrade and I'm not totally sure Pioneer ever gave it one. Where did you get your information? Also, I would contact Pioneer regarding your issue. They might be able to help and it certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

William R. Moore
post #2185 of 2187 Old 08-29-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I know from reading reviews and the many user polls in this thread back in the day, the unit shipped with various firmware: 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 , 1.5 etc. When I bought it I made sure it was the latest version at the time (1.506) Then when I asked for service they said yes there is a newer version. My tech wouldn't have accepted the job if there was no firmware to be had.

- AVStefan
post #2186 of 2187 Old 09-01-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine works great still:)
post #2187 of 2187 Old 09-07-2013, 09:59 AM

Sorry to hear AVFile. My 59 AVi is stll going strong. I only have it connected to my Sony XBR CRT via HDMI. No need for any other bells/whistles...
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page