Denon 5910 Owners Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1460 Old 03-20-2011, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know where I can get the latest firmware for the Denon DVD-5910?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1460 Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9000ES View Post

Anyone know where I can get the latest firmware for the Denon DVD-5910?

Have you tried the DENON website? Just input your serial number and it will tell you the latest version which you can compare to your unit's version. Then you can download and save/burn to CDR for updating in the player.

I don't think there has been a firmware available for some years now........When Blu-Ray came out, it pretty much put the kabosh on any further firmware for this player. Most firmware nowadays deals with blu-ray disc compatibility issues (java, bdlive, etc.).
post #1443 of 1460 Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

Have you tried the DENON website? Just input your serial number and it will tell you the latest version which you can compare to your unit's version. Then you can download and save/burn to CDR for updating in the player.

I don't think there has been a firmware available for some years now........When Blu-Ray came out, it pretty much put the kabosh on any further firmware for this player. Most firmware nowadays deals with blu-ray disc compatibility issues (java, bdlive, etc.).

Firmware updates for this product, back in the day, were usually done by a service center. Don't recall anything being available online for download. (And at one point there was a firmware update (possibly along with a hardware mod depending on when you 5910 was made), that cost $300, and had to be done at a service center; it got you from 5910 to 5910ci. Last I checked the $300 option was no longer available.)

Just tried to log in to denon, but apparently it's been so long that my password has apparently expired... with no apparent way to reset it. Would be curious to know if there is firmware online and any particular details.
post #1444 of 1460 Old 03-21-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post

Firmware updates for this product, back in the day, were usually done by a service center. Don't recall anything being available online for download. (And at one point there was a firmware update (possibly along with a hardware mod depending on when you 5910 was made), that cost $300, and had to be done at a service center; it got you from 5910 to 5910ci. Last I checked the $300 option was no longer available.)

Just tried to log in to denon, but apparently it's been so long that my password has apparently expired... with no apparent way to reset it. Would be curious to know if there is firmware online and any particular details.

Not sure what part of the Denon website you are referring to that requires a password - This should not be necessary for a firmware check and may not be necessary to download either.

Here is the link:

http://stagingna.dev-denon.com/US/Do...t-Updates.aspx
post #1445 of 1460 Old 03-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It requires the serial number of the player.
post #1446 of 1460 Old 03-21-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

It requires the serial number of the player.

Yes it does........As I so noted in my very first response to this issue. It requires a serial number but it should not require a PASSWORD. Perhaps you mis-read the previous posts?
post #1447 of 1460 Old 03-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Regardless, that page doesn't take 5910 serial numbers. Doubtful there is or ever was any firmware for it you can just grab off the internet, at least not legitimately.

(I was referrring to the Owners Club page, which may/not be some reworking of whatever it was I registered for years ago when I got the 5805 and the 5910.)
post #1448 of 1460 Old 03-29-2011, 05:19 AM

How do I set up the 5910 so that it does all of the "heavy lifting(scaling, interlacing, etc.) rather than letting my Denon 3808 receiver or Sony A2000 tv do so?
post #1449 of 1460 Old 03-29-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post

Regardless, that page doesn't take 5910 serial numbers. Doubtful there is or ever was any firmware for it you can just grab off the internet, at least not legitimately.

(I was referrring to the Owners Club page, which may/not be some reworking of whatever it was I registered for years ago when I got the 5805 and the 5910.)

Well, it accepts my serial number fine.
post #1450 of 1460 Old 03-29-2011, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So what does it say?
post #1451 of 1460 Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I need some advice.

I am upgrading my home theater system and I plan on getting the new Denon 4311CI for the receiver.

I want to get an SACD player that I can connect via DL3, and I would like opinions as to whether it is worth getting the higher lever 5910ci over the 3930ci if the connection will be using the receiver's DAC's anyway.
post #1452 of 1460 Old 04-06-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Is the 5910 still available?

It's a great unit, but outdated tech in a lot of ways. (won't play blurays.)

Mine stopped playing many discs--especialy sacd, and it would cost more to fix than I could sell it for.

(I'll sell it cheap if anyone likes messing with that sort of thing.)

Dave

post #1453 of 1460 Old 04-06-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post

I need some advice.

I am upgrading my home theater system and I plan on getting the new Denon 4311CI for the receiver.

I want to get an SACD player that I can connect via DL3, and I would like opinions as to whether it is worth getting the higher lever 5910ci over the 3930ci if the connection will be using the receiver's DAC's anyway.

This is a tough one to answer. I have the 5910CI and it was a significant upgrade to the 2900 that I had before. Some people claim not to notice any difference in sound quality via Denon Link compared to HDMI but I do so I am going to be keeping my 5910CI for a few more years. It was the reference player for many years but bear in mind that the unit dates back 5 or 6 years so there are a few significant advances since then and there are alternatives out there now such as the offerings from Oppo. The DAC's built into the 5910CI are still really good and rival most anything today but you only use these if you output via analog. If you use Denon Link, then of course you will be using the Denon receiver or Denon pre/pros DAC's anyway. I have an Oppo BDP93 that I use exclusively for BluRay and streaming and I use the 5910CI for CD, SACD and DVD-A shiny discs. If it were me buying something new today, I would probably go for the Oppo BDP 95. The only shortcoming over the 5910CI would be the lack of the Denon Link which may or may not make much difference to you anyway. As I noted above, some people cannot tell any difference between DL and HDMI anyway so the point would be moot; If you go with the Oppo, you would be free to buy any receiver or pre/pro too - not stuck with Denon. I see these on eBay for $500-1500 depending on version and condition so they still bring a decent price. Originally sold for $3500 or so, back in the day.
post #1454 of 1460 Old 04-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So what does it say?
post #1455 of 1460 Old 12-16-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Have a heavily modified 5910 done by Hot Rod Audio Mods http://hotrodaudiomods.com/ on which the center anolog channel is dying, (or dead for all intents and purposes).

digital side should still be good for music and video but haven't used it for this in so long that I don't know.

Mods included on analog side include:

new op amps on stereo R/L channels
new op amps on all 5 ss channels
internal case mods:
rfi/emi sheilding
vibration control

Here it comes.....

See classified listing in DVD Players, this site. Includes remote and manual (heavily marked up).

Replaced with stock Oppo BDP-95

Life's a Beach,
or at least it was supposed to be.

My theater in my Wife's house.
DIYer Takes Over Home

post #1456 of 1460 Old 12-16-2011, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Mine's a doorstop, too.

How does the OPPO compare for audio?

Dave

post #1457 of 1460 Old 12-17-2011, 05:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

The Oppo has a greater depth and width to its' soundstage, placement of performers is more precise. The Oppo is quicker, more exhilarating in presentation. Response is great too, I believe the mid and upper ranges are clearer and less fatiguing. Downside, 'They say' that the bass could have more extension but I am hard pressed prove it. Mind you, I am looking for it and cannot substantiate that comment.

Please keep in mind that I am comparing a stock BDP-95 to a heavily modded 5910.

**Please note** the Oppo must have At Least 48 hrs burn-in time. Out of the box it Stinks!

There is no comparison in video quality and consider that the 5910 is dvd only.

I believe the Oppo is a no brainer. Music Direct is offering free money for 12 months. Couldn't pass it up.

Life's a Beach,
or at least it was supposed to be.

My theater in my Wife's house.
DIYer Takes Over Home

post #1458 of 1460 Old 01-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Actually spent a bit of time listening to the Pet Sounds DVD-Audio yesterday. It's a dual sided disc, DVD-Audio on one side, DVD-Video on the other.

First on the 5910ci, where there were a good number of dropouts over the course of playback, between one and three on most of the tracks. And then on the Oppo 93, where it played without any problems. (5910ci via DenonLink, 93 via HDMI.)

Decided that the 93 actually sounded pretty good, at least once the volume was cranked up a bit. So may not be so bad after all in comparison with the Denon.

Next up, somewhere along the line, will be to check out a few more SACDs. (DenonLink will give my receiver DSD directly, but the 93 has to convert it to PCM and then send it via HDMI.) And then finally some CDs (HDCD encoded and just plain ones). And a few more DVD-Audios as well.

My 5910 and 5910ci have both been a bit finicky from the start, kind of hoping that the 93 will work out to be a reasonable sonic facsimile so I can free up some space on my rack. Only thing that's bugged me about the two Oppos I've had is that for some reason the first bit of sound is just about always cut off, at least when first played, kind of annoying to have to go back in order to hear the whole track. Otherwise, if the AQ and PQ hold up pretty well in comparison to each other, may be time to just unplug the 5910ci once and for all.
post #1459 of 1460 Old 11-10-2012, 09:42 AM

I cannot get SACD from the Denon DVD 5910 to Anthem D2 using HDMI?? All other formats will play such as DVD-A, DTS Music, CD's but not SACD?
Any Thoughts??
post #1460 of 1460 Old 11-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

SACD was limited to DenonLink and iEEE1394. HDMI not supported.

I'm surprised to read in your post, and in the manual, that DVD-A does work via HDMI. I've alway just used DenonLink. And noting my previous post, wonder if there's a chance that DVD-A would behave itself better via HDMI. Oh well, don't get much of a chance to use this beast any more, but it's still in the rack, and gets fired up every once in a while (just recently got a copy of Tubular Bells SACD that I just had to check out).
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page