Denon 5910 vs Onkyo SP1000 Pro Review - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 837 Old 05-10-2005, 06:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I will say the 3910 is an excellent unit (better than the 5900 in pic). I have had all of these units so I compared them (to many times to count). As for build quality, the 3910 or the Pioneer do not compare to the Onkyo SP1000 or the Denon 5910. These units are built like tanks. I know someone who dropped their player down a flight of stairs (5 or 6 steps) and it still works perfect!

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 837 Old 05-10-2005, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by ssabripo
well Earz, I don't know what the hate is against the 3910, but obviously you dont' want to give credit where credit is due...:rolleyes:

You must not be reading very clearly. There's no "hate" anywhere and Earz was quoting off the translation of the review where THEY gave their opinions about the build quality.

It's not a good idea to put words in people's mouths that were never spoken or written. ;)

I really don't understand what the point to the rest of your post was after this, except to remind us of something we know all too well: The Denon 3910 is a solid unit that's gotten its share of accolades.

No one has said otherwise.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #183 of 837 Old 05-10-2005, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ssabripo
well Earz, I don't know what the hate is against the 3910, but obviously you dont' want to give credit where credit is due...:rolleyes:

Yes, the SP1000 is a great machine, and so are the others (5910, 59avi, etc), and the 3910 is also one of the best machines out there if not the best (for the money).... I doubt everyone, including the French reviewer is biased or stupid...and I highly doubt the 3910 is "cheaply" built...don't know where that came from, but it is obvious you have no idea how the 3910 is built if you believe that!!

oh, and finally, I think the French reviewer is not the only guy with high praise for the 3910....here is just a sample of the awards won THUS FAR, by this player:

[b
I think you had better take another look at these rags as any that have since compared the 1000 all prefer it in every single category including at least two rags you have mentioned.

The French review is done by a place that sells the 3910.... but not the 1000....but yet they still had to say it was better at audio... which is all they tested.
The reviewer also stated more than once how the build quality was down on the 3910 as compared to the 2900.....his words not mine.

I bought not just one 3910.....which was DOA at full retail...but also a second player and did a month long comparison for video and audio on my own calibrated display.

My findings were that with less than pristine transfers, the 1000 had a smoother background and a more dimensional look to it to make a long story very short.
On pristine transfers it was closer but overall a smoother more film like picture from the 1000.

The second 3910 had the upconversion button quit functioning in the first couple days...refused to play some dvd+ r's smoothly, had dts dropout during Kill Bill and needed a few firmware upgrades as these were from the first batch.

The audio was decent but too forward for my liking and not as musical or as spacious a sound stage as the 1000 especially with red book and sa-cd.

I also did a comparison of the 5900 of which I have owned two of, and the 3910 did have little to no MB like the 5900 had in spades with certain transfers.... but it doesn't equal the 1000 either.
If it had a better transport, the build would be close though.

Overall. there is no way the 3910 is the equal of the 1000.....and if you actually take the time and money to do your own comparisons, I will gladly listen to your opinions.

A few other members also compared the 1000 and 3910 on there calibrated displays and either thought when there was a difference.... it went to the 1000....or that the 1000 was always superior.

If there were no 1000... I would probably be thinking about trading in my 3910 or 59avi on a 5910 about now.... but thats not the case.
post #184 of 837 Old 05-10-2005, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Earz
I think you had better take another look at these rags as any that have since compared the 1000 all prefer it in every single category including at least two rags you have mentioned.

The French review is done by a place that sells the 3910.... but not the 1000....but yet they still had to say it was better at audio... which is all they tested.
The reviewer also stated more than once how the build quality was down on the 3910 as compared to the 2900.....his words not mine.

I bought not just one 3910.....which was DOA at full retail...but also a second player and did a month long comparison for video and audio on my own calibrated display.

My findings were that with less than pristine transfers, the 1000 had a smoother background and a more dimensional look to it to make a long story very short.
On pristine transfers it was closer but overall a smoother more film like picture from the 1000.

The second 3910 had the upconversion button quit functioning in the first couple days...refused to play some dvd+ r's smoothly, had dts dropout during Kill Bill and needed a few firmware upgrades as these were from the first batch.

The audio was decent but too forward for my liking and not as musical or as spacious a sound stage as the 1000 especially with red book and sa-cd.

I also did a comparison of the 5900 of which I have owned two of, and the 3910 did have little to no MB like the 5900 had in spades with certain transfers.... but it doesn't equal the 1000 either.
If it had a better transport, the build would be close though.

Overall. there is no way the 3910 is the equal of the 1000.....and if you actually take the time and money to do your own comparisons, I will gladly listen to your opinions.

A few other members also compared the 1000 and 3910 on there calibrated displays and either thought when there was a difference.... it went to the 1000....or that the 1000 was always superior.

If there were no 1000... I would probably be thinking about trading in my 3910 or 59avi on a 5910 about now.... but thats not the case.

Looks like we are going back and forth, but we still dont see eye to eye...

First, I never EVER said the 3910 is the best machine out there....just said that price taken into account, it is hard to beat. I also stated several times throughout this thread that the SP1000 is an outstanding machine, and I am not even saying that it is better or worst than the 3910....I cannot attest to it since I have not bought one and brought to my house in my setup, but have only seen it in the store at my dealer....but I do take your word for it that it is an outstanding machine (from what I saw, it clearly is well built). Perhaps in your opinion it is "nowhere near the level of the SP1000" but therein lies my problem with the statement....saying that the SP1000 is a better machine in your opinion is one thing, but stating the 3910 doesn't even belong (as a factual statement) is another!

Second, please DO SHOW ME where these "rags" I mentioned all prefer the SP1000...I went and re-read them all, and not one mentions that the SP1000 was "better" or the 3910 was "better"....not one article compared them mano a mano, so I don't see where you got that statement from...please show me a link.... But I do see where the 3910 won these awards as player of the year, and although you may think is not worthy of being even mentioned to the SP1000, I don't think they were all wrong!! Fact is, the SP1000 costs more money, and perhaps they figured that the difference in Audio quality was not worth the extra $.... Video quality is a HUGE debate, and I will be very hard pressed for you to show me factual evidence that the PQ in the 3910 is inferior in anyway shape or form... Perhaps in Component the PQ may be better to the trained eye, but no way it will be better in HDMI (720p or 1080i)...

Funny, because I had several discussions with 59avi owners months back when I was auditioning the players, and even brought them home after comparing them side by side, and the 3910 was the clear winner in PQ, which is the reason I bought it.....and lets not even talk about Audio (it wasn't even close).....Yet, many 59 owners and lovers take every single opportunity to put claim that the 59avi is the better player to the 3910 (I guess comparisons are the best form of flattery)...

Sorry if I misunderstood you or if I am taking this out of context, but I cannot understand why several people claim the SP1000 is "levels" better than anything out there.... An outstanding player it is for sure, but so is the 3910, as well as teh 59avi and others....many players for different tastes and needs...

like the proverbial car comparison.....the BMW 3-series, the Audi A-4, the Mercedes C-class, the Acura TL, etc, etc..... perhaps the 3 series is the best overall, but each one has its pros and cons....
post #185 of 837 Old 05-10-2005, 08:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Alright everyone, let's not turn this thread into a knock down drag out fight. You know it will be closed faster than you could hit the pause button on your favorite remote. And has K.D. even posted any of his own findings yet? So lets just say everyone AGREES to DISAGREE and LEAVE it at that...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #186 of 837 Old 05-10-2005, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joerod
Alright everyone, let's not turn this thread into a knock down drag out fight. You know it will be closed faster than you could hit the pause button on your favorite remote. And has K.D. even posted any of his own findings yet? So lets just say everyone AGREES to DISAGREE and LEAVE it at that...
Just imagine what it's going to be like AFTER Kris has posted final results?

http://www.wackyweaselworld.com/flameINC/images/FB5.gif

I really, really hope not, though. :(

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #187 of 837 Old 05-10-2005, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I will hold off on any areadvd translations until the dust settles.
post #188 of 837 Old 05-10-2005, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Man you guys are really going to town on this thread. Maybe I should just keep my findings confidential!!

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #189 of 837 Old 05-10-2005, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Must be a full moon.

Kris, Notice any differences between firmwares on the sp1000?
post #190 of 837 Old 05-10-2005, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

ssabrip, I sent you a p.m.

If you have anymore questions feel free to p.m. me

One thing I can say for sure is you will not see me trolling or trying to spew misinformation in the 3910 or 59avi threads like often seems to happen in any 1000 related thread.

I must not have noticed or received my target with my 1000 as it seems that anyone happy with this player has a bullseye on there head or something
:D

And no ssabrip...I am not reffering to you.
post #191 of 837 Old 05-10-2005, 09:18 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Q of BanditZ
Have you ever seen one or heard one for yourself? You wouldn't need to ask this question if you had.
Sure Ive seen lipsynch problems they are awful and I wouldnt pay for the chance to get it either :D
post #192 of 837 Old 05-10-2005, 10:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Just imagine what it's going to be like AFTER Kris has posted final results?

http://www.wackyweaselworld.com/flameINC/images/FB5.gif

Why would you think this?

Nobody knows what the findings will be, so why do you think this thread will turn ugly? There is no reason for it turning that way, regardless of what Kris' findings are.

I thought we were all pretty much in agreement with the sentiment that these are all excellent players, and as long as you are happy with the way your particular unit works on your particular display, there is no reason to get bent out of shape if someone else likes a different player than the one you happened to purchase.

The only time these threads start heading down the wrong path is when someone starts posting how much better a certain unit is than all the others....to the point of saying "it is clearly and obviously better in all respects". Well, that is B.S., and people aren't going to just sit back and let that type of statement be made without responding to it......and that is when the back and forth arguments start, and they gradually become more and more heated until finally the thread is closed.

Absolutely no reason for that to happen again.
post #193 of 837 Old 05-10-2005, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joerod
Earz, let's not take any shots at any posts directly. Rob, I just figured that we are all here (AVS) for the same reason. We love electronics and new technology. Since I have been setting up my new theater in my basement I realized that all products have a place. From the dvd player you can get at a Walgreens to the 5910 you can get at a high end store. It is pointless to argue about units and their features. Especially the units we have been arguing about. They are ALL great units. If they weren't we would not be mentioning them here. Whatever Kris scores the SP1000 won't make me change my mind about it. Even if it is a 79. Or a 93. I am a big fan of this unit and have adapted to its features quite well. Like the way others have adapted to their Pioneer 59avi or Denon 3910 or Marantz 9500...The point is lets all just exchange info and learn from each others experiences. The majority here are obviously knowledgeable, so lets use it to help others...
Let's try to keep the above in mind when discussing these players. We all love electronics and this home theater hobby, so we tend to get passionate about our gear. But we all need to keep an open mind and not take negative remarks about our players personally.
post #194 of 837 Old 05-11-2005, 02:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
turn-off your damn computers tonite.

put in a movie.

open a brew.

live a little, people.

life is way too short.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #195 of 837 Old 05-11-2005, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Earz
ssabrip, I sent you a p.m.

If you have anymore questions feel free to p.m. me

One thing I can say for sure is you will not see me trolling or trying to spew misinformation in the 3910 or 59avi threads like often seems to happen in any 1000 related thread.

I must not have noticed or received my target with my 1000 as it seems that anyone happy with this player has a bullseye on there head or something
:D

And no ssabrip...I am not reffering to you.
yes, I got it ;) and I responded as well....

I know you weren't refering to me, because you wont find me on the sp1000 threads or 59avi threads...
post #196 of 837 Old 05-11-2005, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hey Kris,

How bad is the CUE in the DV SP 1000? Is it only in the Chroma 4:2 and
the Chroma 2:2 or everywhere?

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #197 of 837 Old 05-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Just got my SP1000 and it definetly is a very nice player. Can someone give some common DVD that show lip sync so I can see if I have the problem? I don't have dodgeball.
post #198 of 837 Old 05-11-2005, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
What is the CUE bug? I am so engrossed in the amazing picture on my SP1000 and this flaw is not obvious to me. Thanks in advance for the explanation.
post #199 of 837 Old 05-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Chroma upsampling error I believe. You can see it in Toy story. Here's a link to explanations.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ut-1-2003.html
post #200 of 837 Old 05-12-2005, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

One of the areas in which I would definetely had a bad review of
the DV SP 1000 is the service and customer service. My unit has
been in the service shop for more than 6 weeks, and they keep saying
that they are waiting for equipment to test the player. The unit
was sent from the local service center to the regional one.
And so far there is no light when will I get my unit back.

It would of been much easier for them to just send me a new one.:mad:
I guess that if I don't hear from them soon, they will have to listen to
my lawyers.

Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #201 of 837 Old 05-12-2005, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gonzalc3
One of the areas in which I would definetely had a bad review of
the DV SP 1000 is the service and customer service. My unit has
been in the service shop for more than 6 weeks, and they keep saying
that they are waiting for equipment to test the player. The unit
was sent from the local service center to the regional one.
And so far there is no light when will I get my unit back.

It would of been much easier for them to just send me a new one.:mad:
I guess that if I don't hear from them soon, they will have to listen to
my lawyers.
Who's service shop? Where? First party Onkyo or some third party they have under contract to do service work for them?

I certainly can understand and appreciate your anger and lack of patience on this. Six weeks is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbo
Chroma upsampling error I believe. You can see it in Toy story. Here's a link to explanations.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ut-1-2003.html
I've never seen that on the probably well over 200+ various DVD's I've watched over three different displays since November. 70-80 inch screens for a lot of the duration and movie watching. Component, HDMI, 720p, 1080i, you name it. Never seen it.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #202 of 837 Old 05-12-2005, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never seen that on the probably well over 200+ various DVD's I've watched over three different displays since November. 70-80 inch screens for a lot of the duration and movie watching. Component, HDMI, 720p, 1080i, you name it. Never seen it.

Ditto......on my 3910 :D never seen an inch of MB, and/or CUE problems, etc....just a pristine, crystal clear, smooth, film like, hard-to-beat Picture that leaves a smile from cheek to cheek everytime...

http://forums.offtopic.com/images/sm...ancingcool.gif
post #203 of 837 Old 05-12-2005, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 397
The 59AVi has been added to the recent benchmark. I will try and get the SP1000 up sometime next week along with the Panasonic S97.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #204 of 837 Old 05-12-2005, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
[b]Who's service shop? Where? First party Onkyo or some third party they have under contract to do service work for them?

I certainly can understand and appreciate your anger and lack of patience on this. Six weeks is ridiculous.
Q,

The local service that they have is a company named Strauss Photo
Technical Service Inc.. It took them 1 week to send it to the regional
service center, called United Radio. Presumably they took a couple
of weeks to check my warranty, which by the way is something
ridiculous as they photocopy my Vanns invoice. Now they
come saying that because of lack of testing equipment I have to
wait longer. I said to the Onkyo customer representative, come
on do I have to wait another 2 weeks.... That will be almost ten weeks
after I drop it.

post #205 of 837 Old 05-12-2005, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Q,

The local service that they have is a company named Strauss Photo
Technical Service Inc.. It took them 1 week to send it to the regional
service center, called United Radio. Presumably they took a couple
of weeks to check my warranty, which by the way is something
ridiculous as they photocopy my Vanns invoice. Now they
come saying that because of lack of testing equipment I have to
wait longer. I said to the Onkyo customer representative, come
on do I have to wait another 2 weeks.... That will be almost ten weeks
after I drop it.
Ok, so it's a crappy third party outlet. Onkyo's fault is in not having a better resource than that available to you. That sounds like some rinky-dink, po-dunk, backwoods operation.

Heh, they probably had to ship your unit back to Japan anyways. :rolleyes: I wonder if you could have just exchanged it as a defect under warranty with Vanns? If so, that would have been WORLDS faster and smoother than this BS.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #206 of 837 Old 05-12-2005, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Q,

I actually try to swap the unit at Vann's but the didn't do it because
it was after the 30 days. So that is why I am dealing with Onkyo.

To be honest I am really disapointed with their service. By now, it would
of been better for them just to send me a new one, and refurbish my
old one.

post #207 of 837 Old 05-12-2005, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Q,

I actually try to swap the unit at Vann's but the didn't do it because
it was after the 30 days. So that is why I am dealing with Onkyo.

To be honest I am really disapointed with their service. By now, it would
of been better for them just to send me a new one, and refurbish my
old one.
By far.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #208 of 837 Old 05-12-2005, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kris Deering
The 59AVi has been added to the recent benchmark. I will try and get the SP1000 up sometime next week along with the Panasonic S97.
So basically nothing changed right? So, if the 59 AVi has a better MPEG decoder than the DV SP 1000, that means that it not even pass the
3-2 Chroma test?

post #209 of 837 Old 05-12-2005, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Christian,

I feel sorry for you. In my book, that kind of a wait for repairs is unacceptable. (What is wrong with your player? I don't recall.)

Someone should step up to the plate and "do the right thing." If possible, let the "higher-ups" know what your experiences are and that you are posting your experiences on this forum which is seen by thousands of people. Name names and places. Sometimes negative publicity gets people to react in positive ways.

I haven't noticed any CUE problems on my SP-1000 and my display. I'll give "Toy Story" a spin tonight and see what I see. I'm running the player with the updated firmware so maybe any CUE problems were alleviated with the fix? Just a guess.
post #210 of 837 Old 05-12-2005, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Franchot
Christian,

I feel sorry for you. In my book, that kind of a wait for repairs is unacceptable. (What is wrong with your player? I don't recall.)

Someone should step up to the plate and "do the right thing." If possible, let the "higher-ups" know what your experiences are and that you are posting your experiences on this forum which is seen by thousands of people. Name names and places. Sometimes negative publicity gets people to react in positive ways.

I haven't noticed any CUE problems on my SP-1000 and my display. I'll give "Toy Story" a spin tonight and see what I see. I'm running the player with the updated firmware so maybe any CUE problems were alleviated with the fix? Just a guess.
1.20 or 1.21? I've never seen this CUE in anything, but I'll pull out Toy Story myself and take it all over to my friend's house this weekend and see what see on the big screen.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page