Denon DVD-1920 - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 787 Old 11-08-2005, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And that's why I'm not getting this player. It's a shame, but Denon R1 players just don't seem very hackable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 787 Old 11-08-2005, 09:23 PM

The 1910 and now the 1920 coming into Australia have been multi-region though officially they aren't.
post #423 of 787 Old 11-08-2005, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widseth View Post

The 1910 and now the 1920 coming into Australia have been multi-region though officially they aren't.

All players sold in Oz MUST be Multi Region - it's mandated in law. So officially they are.

Work Hard, Play Hard, Enjoy - Lifes Too Short !!!
Save your Racing for the Track
post #424 of 787 Old 11-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Anyone have a Macroblocking status report on the Denon 1920 with a Panasonic AE900U?

Sam

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #425 of 787 Old 11-10-2005, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I tried looking for an answer but couldn't find one. Are there plans for a 5 disc changer version of the 1920?

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #426 of 787 Old 11-12-2005, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerpeter View Post

If you check the thread specifically about the power issue on the 1920 you'll see that it's not simply related to connecting using hdmi.

Hi all,
I'm new on this great forum, but it's from a couple of years sometimes I'm surfing on it I'm from Italy, so please apologies for my bad english.

I'm a senior member of one famous AVS Italian forum, and yesterday we (in Italy) think we have finally get sorted out the "power issue" of the Denon 1920. One forum member was working with one Denon official repair center, and they finally have received an official answer from the Italian denon distributor. I would be grateful if someone could please give me the link to the right thread on this forum (not sure if this is the right one), so I'll write on there what I actually know... just in case it was not previously posted.

Best regards, and congrats for this forum
Mauri
post #427 of 787 Old 11-12-2005, 07:14 PM

I will make the customary excuses for my lack of knowledge which I think you guys loath.....

I am a newbie, and I am trying to understand all the iIntricacies of my new system, which I bought on review recomendations. FYI, I have the following setup:

Denon 3805 A/V
Denon 1920 DVD player
Philips 32" LCD TV- DVD-I input.
I use a HDMI to DVI cable.

I would really appreciate it if you could give me some input on the following questions.

1) Someone told me that Progressive scan is only available with an analogue connection, so component. And that you cannot have progressive scan with DVI ( so a digital signal), correct?

2) Just like everyone, I want to have the best output my system can provide; When I have the Denon on the 720P setting with the HDMI to DVI cable (Based on Question 1, I assume this is not Progressive, due to the non analogue connection) the screen does not use the total avalable TV space, instead it has a black border all around. If I use the 1080i setting the screen uses all the available space in 16:9 format. Is this normall that the 720p does not use the whole space that the TV provides? And I assume that that 720P for progressive is not working and that the best picture, through DVI, can be achieved with 1080i??

Many thanks in advance.
regards
Mark.. Holland.
post #428 of 787 Old 11-13-2005, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksjones View Post

1) Someone told me that Progressive scan is only available with an analogue connection, so component. And that you cannot have progressive scan with DVI ( so a digital signal), correct?

2) When I have the Denon on the 720P setting with the HDMI to DVI cable (Based on Question 1, I assume this is not Progressive, due to the non analogue connection) the screen does not use the total avalable TV space, instead it has a black border all around. If I use the 1080i setting the screen uses all the available space in 16:9 format. Is this normall that the 720p does not use the whole space that the TV provides?

Hello Mark,
about your two questions:

1. When you are using the HDMI digital connection of your player, you don't need to take care about "progressive scan", it works in this way: when on the player you are using a progressive video mode like 480p, 576p, or 720p (the "p" character means "progressive"), the player will do the deinterlacing operation, and it will send a progressive signal to your TV. Instead, if you will use an interlaced video mode, like 480i, 576i or 1080i (the "i" character means "interlaced"), the player will not do any operation, and it will send the original interlaced signal to your TV. At that point, your TV will do the deinterlacing and scaling operation to the native resolution of your display, and you will see the images in progressive mode in any case, because all the digital displays (LCD-Plasma) are working in progressive mode only, while (for example) most of our European CRT TVs are able to accept interlaced signals only.

To get the best video quality from your setup, you should always made an initial check with the 576i/p, 720p and 1080i video modes on your DVD player. If the DVD player is able to do a better deinterlacing/upscaling work than the TV, you will get the best performances by using the 720p or 1080i modes, otherwise the best setting could be 576i/p (PAL mode for europe).

2. I don't own a 1920 at the moment, so I can't explain you in detail, but if the video settings are the right ones on both your DVD player and the TV, you should always see full screen images on your display, nevermind what video mode you are using on the DVD player. Have a look at the manual of your TV at first, I think there should be a setting like "auto" to recognise the input video mode or the aspect ratio (or something like that). Check also the manual of the player for the same things.

Hope that help.
Best regards from Italy
post #429 of 787 Old 11-13-2005, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksjones View Post

2) Just like everyone, I want to have the best output my system can provide; When I have the Denon on the 720P setting with the HDMI to DVI cable (Based on Question 1, I assume this is not Progressive, due to the non analogue connection) the screen does not use the total avalable TV space, instead it has a black border all around. If I use the 1080i setting the screen uses all the available space in 16:9 format. Is this normall that the 720p does not use the whole space that the TV provides? And I assume that that 720P for progressive is not working and that the best picture, through DVI, can be achieved with 1080i??

Many thanks in advance.
regards
Mark.. Holland.

When are you seeing this? On the "Denon" purple loading screen or on DVDs, or on both? I don't have a problem like this on my 1920 with my MT700 pj. You may also want to post in the display forum to see if it may be the LCD TV if you don't get any good answers here.

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #430 of 787 Old 11-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post

Hi all,
I'm new on this great forum, but it's from a couple of years sometimes I'm surfing on it I'm from Italy, so please apologies for my bad english.

I'm a senior member of one famous AVS Italian forum, and yesterday we (in Italy) think we have finally get sorted out the "power issue" of the Denon 1920. One forum member was working with one Denon official repair center, and they finally have received an official answer from the Italian denon distributor. I would be grateful if someone could please give me the link to the right thread on this forum (not sure if this is the right one), so I'll write on there what I actually know... just in case it was not previously posted.

Best regards, and congrats for this forum
Mauri

Mauri,
The discussion on the power issue begins in this thread, on about page 4 and continues through out :
1920 Power Issue
If you have any insight to a fix please post it in this thread. I know it can be circumvented several ways, but no Denon fix has ever been posted.
BTW welcome to the forum.

Keith S.
post #431 of 787 Old 11-13-2005, 09:12 PM

There was a little bit of talk before about using the 6 anologe outputs to listen to SACD and DVDA to take advantage of the "superior" audio DAC but according to zdnet.com you have no choice but to use the analog outputs for SACD.

From ZDNet.com
"You'll still need to connect six separate analog audio cables if you want to hear SACDs light up your home theater. Don't blame Denon: Sony, which controls the SACD format, refuses to permit digital output.(All other disc formats--including DVD-Audio--should work just fine through the digital output.)"

Is this right?
post #432 of 787 Old 11-13-2005, 09:39 PM

<<All other disc formats--including DVD-Audio--should work just fine through the digital output>>

Uh, sort of. A-DVD will work as Dolby Digital through digital out on the 1920, but only at 48khz according to my receiver. For full hi-rez A-DVD, you still need to use the 5.1 analogs. Correct me if I'm wrong...

John F
post #433 of 787 Old 11-13-2005, 09:45 PM

My receiver is HK-6335 (7.1) I there any reason why (for more 'full' sound) I couldn't use splitters (1920 analog output) for the surround output from the 1920 to hook both my side surround and rear speakers to work off the rear channel of the 5.1 outs? This, of course, would only be for SACD / A-DVD use, as I use digital for DVD movies in conjuction with Logic 7 on the receiver. Any comments? Thanks,

John F
post #434 of 787 Old 11-14-2005, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsimp View Post

Mauri,
The discussion on the power issue begins in this thread.. cut

If you have any insight to a fix please post it in this thread. I know it can be circumvented several ways, but no Denon fix has ever been posted.
BTW welcome to the forum.

Hi keithsimp,
thank you for your answer, here below is what we have discovered.

After having spent a lot of time on many different test, we have made a little movie to show to the Denon official repair center the issue (sometimes words are not enough). At that point, the repair center has contacted the Italian Denon official distributor, and after some days the Denon official distributor has confirmed they have received a note from Denon Japan about the power issue, and it is an hardware problem: they said a resistor with a wrong value was mounted on the players. The wrong resistor seems to have a 2200 ohm value, while the right one should be 3300 ohm - or vice versa - (we have received that info by phone from the repair center). It seem that that resistor is located on the power supply section. Two days ago we have received back the player from the repair center, and now it seems it is working fine with that fix.. actually we never had the problem again.

One forum user has received also a written answer by mail from the Italian denon distributor, where they said the problem (Italy-Europe) was actually discovered on the first 1920 production, and that now the players which are coming on the market, have the right resistor. BTW, personally I'll wait a bit more before buy one .

That's all for the moment.. now you can start to investigate with Denon itself and their repair centers in U.S., and if I'll have some news, I'll let you know

'sorry for my poor english, and best regards.
post #435 of 787 Old 11-14-2005, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post

At that point, the repair center has contacted the Italian Denon official distributor, and after some days the Denon official distributor has confirmed they have received a note from Denon Japan about the power issue, and it is an hardware problem: they said a resistor with a wrong value was mounted on the players. The wrong resistor seems to have a 2200 ohm value, while the right one should be 3300 ohm - or vice versa - (we have received that info by phone from the repair center).

Will Denon eventually provide a free of charge fix thru an authorized repair facility for this production mistake?

Anyone care to speculate?
post #436 of 787 Old 11-14-2005, 06:52 AM

The Denon authorized repair center here in Italy, fixed it without any cost, but we don't know what Denon is planning to do around the world. If I'll have more news I'll let you know.
post #437 of 787 Old 11-14-2005, 08:38 AM

Are there any 1920 owners out there who changed from the 2900 because of the HDMI output? I've decided to keep my projector for another year - it is component only. I'm considering returning the 1920 and buying a used 2900 _IF_ picture quality and audio quality will be an upgrage over the 1920.

Downsides to the 2900: No delay time adjustments for SACD - this is available for A-DVD only. It does do bass management for both formats, though. I have mostly A-DVD, but some SACD's - how much of a downside is this?

How does the PQ via component compare between the 2 models? Thanks for any comments...

John F
post #438 of 787 Old 11-14-2005, 02:44 PM

My dealer (Absolute Theater) is letting me borrow their demo 1920 for a few days to check it out before buying. What are some good DVD's to check out macroblocking on my Hitachi 55HDT51? What scenes should I use from those disks?
post #439 of 787 Old 11-15-2005, 08:26 AM

My first impressions of the 1920

I fired it up this morning (my wife said never do it late as I become error-prone) and got it dialed in.

1. The power off error was apparent when using the HDMI output (July build) and the fix was to push stop on the remote and power off on the player.

2. Are component and HDMI mutually exclusive options? I could not plug in both the HDMI cable and component video cable without problems. Specifically, with the HDMI cable from the 1920 directly into my Hitachi and the component from the 1920 to my AVR-3803, when I switched to the DVD input the receiver clicked rapidly over and over like it was going into protection. I unplugged the component cable from the 1920 and HDMI worked fine. But, I had to unplug the HDMI, unplug the 1920, plug in the component cable and then plug in the 1920 power cable to get the component output to work properly into the AVR-3803.

Or, is this a problem in that the component out from the AVR-3803 and the HDMI share input 1 on the Hitachi 55HDT51. The HDMI input is supposed to override the component and did so when I used the S-video from the DVD-1920 into the AVR-3803, which upconverted to component out to the Hitachi anyhow.

3. I preferred the black level settings to "on". Am I nuts?

4. Most disks played fine. I did have to re-load one SACD and one home-grown DVD-R to get the DVD-1920 to recognize them. Eventually, everything played and looked and sounded fine.

I'll let you know what else I uncover.
post #440 of 787 Old 11-15-2005, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding #3 - do you have Avia or DVE? That would be the way to check and see what is correct. That said, if you like how it looks, that's good enough

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #441 of 787 Old 11-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

I currently have a Yamaha DVD C750 five disc player which has gotten pretty decent reviews. It has very slow reaction times, so I am thinking of picking up a Denon 1920.
Am I going to find better video quality?
post #442 of 787 Old 11-16-2005, 10:26 AM

Is there anyone who write a dvd9 himself and play it on the 1920 denon
yesterday i wrote the new U2 on a dvd9 and it simply won't start
it's start on every player jvc/cyberhome/nad/maranzt

but not on my player
post #443 of 787 Old 11-16-2005, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What is a DVD9?
post #444 of 787 Old 11-16-2005, 02:06 PM
nmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttermaker View Post

What is a DVD9?

A dual-layer DVD. Just like most of the movie DVDs you have out there. A single layer holds 4.7 GB of data while the DL will hold 8.4 GB. You do need a DL burner to take advantage of DL media. And a player that will play it.

koot I just bought a few of the DL media hoping it will play on the 1920. What did you burn on it and what did you use to burn it? Also what media are you using?

If the 1920 won't play the DL media then I'd rather not open the pack and get my money back.

I have read that quite a few of the Sony DVD players play the DL media fine.

EDIT: Someone earlier tried it and said DL played most of the time. Read it here.

Happiness is merely the remission of pain.
post #445 of 787 Old 11-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Anyone have a Macroblocking status report on the Denon 1920 with a Panasonic AE900U?

Bought a 1920 today. If its there, I dont see it and dont want to go looking for it. Picture looks the same to me whether the player is outputting 720p or 480p and letting the 900u scale it.

Bought a few SACDs and a few DVD-As and they sound fantastic. I gotta look closer tho, wound up buying Police Synchronicity and its stereo only, not Multichannel. Oh well, sounds fantastic and was a good $14 purchase. I can see me building a collection by sweeping ebay tho, dont see me buying many full price.

Watched the new Wonka tonight, ok movie but it looked absolutely gorgeous. Episode 3 blew me away, gotta keep reminding myself that these arent even HD!

Why doesnt this player have Denon Link? You would think this level of product would support it. Got a fantastic quote on a 3806 when I bought the 1920 so I bit on it, the lack of Denon Link on the 1920 is the only surprise so far, not sure how much I would use it but its odd that its not there.

Sam

Sam Posten
post #446 of 787 Old 11-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Oh and you guys complaining about the layer switch are out of your minds, its 1/4 the time of my first DVD player =)

Sam Posten
post #447 of 787 Old 11-20-2005, 12:23 PM
skk

Hello!

I would like to ask if someone can make a comparison between the Pioneer 585 (former 575) and Denon 1920 in terms of audio quality, when connected to a receiver through analogue outputs.I know the Pioneer used to have some ba4560 op amps inside, that weren't quite a standard in terms of audio quality...I also know that the D/A converter was a Burr-Brown pcm1742.
Video quality, as i understood by now, is above average for this price range.The Pioneer 585 uses an adv7300 video dac and lacks the HDMI output. As I do not own an LCD or plasma display, I'm just curious if connecting the Denon 1920 through component to my Panasonic CRT TX-32PX20 would make any difference between it and the Pioneer 585 (also connected through component video output).

Thank you in adavance!

P.S.: please excuse my bad english...as I'm not a native english speaker.
post #448 of 787 Old 11-22-2005, 09:26 PM

Man, not good news for my 1920. Personally the layer change bothered me, about the same as my 5 year old Pioneer 525. Was looking to beat that 1 at least, and then last night the power bug became apparent. Wouldn't power on at all. So, back it went and brought home a 2910. For $300 I was hoping for better from Denon. I won't accept a player that behaves this way.
post #449 of 787 Old 11-26-2005, 02:06 PM

I've been watching the Denon 1920 on a Hitachi TX200 projector and the Noisy picture is very annoying, i actually installed my cheap JVC last night half way through War of The Worlds because the noise was so bad.
post #450 of 787 Old 11-26-2005, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree that the 1920 is a little noisy (just a notch more so than the S97 I had for a bit), but I think I've read that WOTW is a noisy source. Just throwing that out there to keep in mind...

- Jon
"010 Meh"
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page