Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 787 Old 08-13-2005, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AlieniceT,

Thank you for your informative responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 787 Old 08-14-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyozero3 View Post

This is interesting - has anyone tried powering off the 1920 with the "off" button on the remote? When I do so, the unit powers off, but then refuses to power on either by the front switch or the remote button. Very odd. I've had it happen twice in a row. I'm not sure why it would do that. I was only able to power the unit back up by unplugging and replugging it back in. Hmmm....

This finally happened with my unit today. Could not power it up via remote or front panel, even though unit clearly had power as standby light was lit. Had to unplug it from my line conditioner, after which it powered up on first try with the remote. It showed me that the 1920's disc memory function remains intact even with an interruption in power, as the disc that was still in the player started up right where I left it at power down last night.

jonnyozero3, did your 1920 have a disc inside of it when you first had it refuse to power on for you? I ask because in my case this was the first time I had turned the player off from the resume state. I'm curious as to whether the problem only occurs when a disc is stopped, and then the unit powered down while in resume mode.
post #93 of 787 Old 08-14-2005, 01:31 PM

AlieniceT / mgkg3:

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I incorrectly said that the light went off when disconnecting the HDMI cable. I checked with my dad (who was watching the DVD player when I was behind the plasma) and he said it was blinking when disconnected.

He is going to take the DVD-1920 and the HDMI cable into the dealer on Tuesday and see what happens when it is hooked up to another set. It may be the cable - it was purchased from stsi.com - but since the front-panel S-Video input on the plasma is defective, I am not ruling out any part of the chain yet. I'll let you know what he finds out...

-Todd
post #94 of 787 Old 08-14-2005, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlieniceT View Post

I've not had occasion to power the 1920 on or off via the front panel controls so far. Every power on/off I've cycled through has been with the remote, and no problems so far. I guess I've been lucky, as toddbarry has had HDMI connection issues and now you are having strange behavior with the discrete power off function through the remote. I hope Denon quality control is not going to be a concern with this model.

HD,
Component out performance of the 1920 is good, but no better. Not very close to the HDMI in quality. Don't give up your RP82 yet, as the biggest change the 1920 can offer over the RP82 is SACD playback and a sharp picture over HDMI, which you do not have. As I've stated previously, the 1920's picture over HDMI using YPbPr colorspace setting is very detailed with less MB than when using RGB colorspace. The Denon is in between the Panny S97 and the Oppo as far as MB is concerned. A little more noticeable than the Panny, but a lot less than the Oppo on displays that reveal the artifact.

thanks for another helpful response AlieniceT!!!

from prior posts i suspected that component video performance has peaked & Denon and other manu. are putting most of their efforts into refining HDMI(at least this is my guess). FYI even if i purchase the 1920 my RP82 isn't going anywhere!!-i came across it by pure luck 18 mos. ago i'm VERY happy to have it! i've been eyeing the 1920 for SACD(glad to hear its very good) & to eventually pair it with whatever HDMI-capable display i choose for an upgrade in a few(2?) years. i may even be extravagent & use the 1920 for music & the RP82 for movies until upgrade time!! for now tho i'll wait to decide on anything. again thanks for the (excellent) test results!!!!

jim

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #95 of 787 Old 08-14-2005, 02:10 PM

Problem with powering off from RESUME with Denon DVD-1920

I have discovered that the problem that jonnyozero3 first reported yesterday is a reproducable flaw in the Denon 1920. When a disc is stopped during play, the unit will go into RESUME mode. This is obviously a common feature on most DVD players. However, on the 1920, if you should decide to turn the player off while it is in RESUME mode using the discrete POWER OFF button on the remote, the player will not power up again without removing AC power to the unit (plug - unplug). This is reproducable 100% and applies to DVD's and CD's.

This only occurs when the remote is used to power off the Denon - if the standby/power button on the front panel is used to turn off the 1920 from RESUME mode, the player will power back on without issues from either the front panel button or the remote power-on button.

I would imagine that Denon will be hearing about this problem shortly, hopefully followed by a firmware fix thereafter.
post #96 of 787 Old 08-14-2005, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

another reason to wait & see!!!

jim

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #97 of 787 Old 08-14-2005, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Yup - as AlieniceT said, it happens with a disc is stopped in the "resume" mode and using the discrete power off button on the remote, the units powers down but ceases to respond. Personally, it's not a deal breaker for me, but it's a little annoying.

Firmware Fix List:
1) Fix Discrete power off while in Resume mode bug.
2) Less MB as always

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #98 of 787 Old 08-14-2005, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbarry View Post

AlieniceT / mgkg3:

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I incorrectly said that the light went off when disconnecting the HDMI cable. I checked with my dad (who was watching the DVD player when I was behind the plasma) and he said it was blinking when disconnected.

He is going to take the DVD-1920 and the HDMI cable into the dealer on Tuesday and see what happens when it is hooked up to another set. It may be the cable - it was purchased from stsi.com - but since the front-panel S-Video input on the plasma is defective, I am not ruling out any part of the chain yet. I'll let you know what he finds out...

-Todd

I'm curious to see where the problem lies......
post #99 of 787 Old 08-14-2005, 03:41 PM

Who's got the best price on the 1920 now?

I could have sworn I saw the 1920 for sale somewhere on the net for $210 bucks... but after searching for the last week, I now believe it was the 1910 I saw...

Crutchfield has the 1920 for $350... anybody find a better price? Free shipping?

M.
post #100 of 787 Old 08-14-2005, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post

Who's got the best price on the 1920 now?

I could have sworn I saw the 1920 for sale somewhere on the net for $210 bucks... but after searching for the last week, I now believe it was the 1910 I saw...

Crutchfield has the 1920 for $350... anybody find a better price? Free shipping?

M.

http://www.avperfection.com/scripts/...?idproduct=778

They're charging $20.00 UPS, however.
post #101 of 787 Old 08-14-2005, 04:07 PM

Thanks Alien, I just scored one for $325 delivered
post #102 of 787 Old 08-14-2005, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

That's only $4 worse (inc tax) than I did locally at Nebraska Furniture Mart Good job (for both of us).

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #103 of 787 Old 08-15-2005, 09:27 AM

Little update...
After reading the manual (oops!) I discovered that the delay settings for all speakers are based on your settings for the front L/R channels, so you will need to input those first. In other words, if you set your fronts to 15', your options for center will be 15' and down, and your options for rears will be 15', 10', and 5'. It's still frustrating that I can't set my center to 17', which is closer to where it is in fact.

UUronl, To answer your question, I haven't used a calibration disc. Like you mentioned, my problem is in fact the delay of the front/center channels relative to each other. My center channel is in a recessed cabinet, about 2' back from the front L/R. The problem is that the Denon won't let you set the center further back from the front. If I get a chance, I will check out the Chesky disc after my wallet recovers from the DVD/HDTV purchase.

I haven't had any problems with the power not coming back on when using the resume function. Sounds like a pretty common defect, though, if there are 2 cases already on this board.

Enjoy,

--tb
post #104 of 787 Old 08-15-2005, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerb2002 View Post

I haven't had any problems with the power not coming back on when using the resume function. Sounds like a pretty common defect, though, if there are 2 cases already on this board.

tylerb2002-
Turn off the player using the power off button on the remote while in the resume mode. There is no problem with turning off the player from resume using the button on the front panel.

I would be surprised if you did not see this happen on your unit as it is 100% reproducable on my player and apparently, on jonnyozero3's model as well.
post #105 of 787 Old 08-15-2005, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup - it is reproduceable on my unit, and I just figured out a twist.: It only occurs when my HDMI cable is plugged into the player.

I was just playing a CD while reading your post - I wanted to triple check it was still happening, so I stopped the CD, (left it in resume) and then powered down the unit as before using the descrete "off" button on the remote. Much to my surprise it powered back up without a problem using both the front panel power button and the remote.

So I looked to see what was different - lo and behold my HDMI cable was plugged into my HD/DVR instead of the 1920. AH HA! I plugged it back into the 1920 and VOILA! Back to hard lock requiring a hard power off by unplugging the unit.

Very interesting. Could you verify if this happens for your as well AlieniceT?

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #106 of 787 Old 08-15-2005, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyozero3 View Post

Yup - it is reproduceable on my unit, and I just figured out a twist.: It only occurs when my HDMI cable is plugged into the player.

I was just playing a CD while reading your post - I wanted to triple check it was still happening, so I stopped the CD, (left it in resume) and then powered down the unit as before using the descrete "off" button on the remote. Much to my surprise it powered back up without a problem using both the front panel power button and the remote.

So I looked to see what was different - lo and behold my HDMI cable was plugged into my HD/DVR instead of the 1920. AH HA! I plugged it back into the 1920 and VOILA! Back to hard lock requiring a hard power off by unplugging the unit.

Very interesting. Could you verify if this happens for your as well AlieniceT?

Just checked out your theory, jonnyozero3, and you are correct. I took it one step further, by leaving the HDMI cable connected, but turning the connection off via the front panel. I then stopped a disc in play, and used the power off on the remote to turn the player off. When I turned it back on using the remote, it came on without a hitch.

So, the machine lock requiring the unplugging of the unit to reset occurs 100% of the time - when the machine is powered down from RESUME mode using the discrete power off button on the remote PROVIDED THAT HDMI IS CONNECTED AND ACTIVE.

Well, that should give Denon tech support a good starting point to locate the cause of the problem and release a fix.
post #107 of 787 Old 08-15-2005, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Good job, very thorough. I think we should get paid for this

Then I could quit my job to evaluate dvd players! hah. I need to do more watching and listening to see which one I want to keep - if any - out of the S97/1920 pair sitting on my rack. I have a week before I get charged restocking at Vanns. I'll make sure to post more impressions as I think of them.

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #108 of 787 Old 08-16-2005, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I picked up one of these DVD players on the way home from work yesterday, I was interested in a DVD player with decent sound that could play both DVD-Audio & SACD. I currently have a s97 but I wanted to try this new unit but in reality was seriously considering an 2910 from Denon. I other words I was not expecting much out of the 1920. I was wrong, I really like this unit. The sound quality, as said before, is very good, I have it hooked up to a Denon 3803 receiver. I listened to DVD-Audio discs as well as CD's and the sound was very good, better than the s97. The picture quality of this unit surprised me, because I like it better than the Panasonic, I'm shocked! I calibrated the unit using my Avia disc, and have the unit hooked (HDMI to DVI) up to a Sony 34" crt TV (sorry, no rear or front projectors for me, my room is too small). The picture quality seemed just as detailed as the Panasonic s97, but I have less noise. The color also seems a little better, but again I do not have a large screen that blows everything up but my viewing distance is close 6-7' away. I do not have MB issues, never have had this issue, so I'm lucky. I will continue to play around with this unit today, but as I said earlier I was not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised! As far as the power up problem mentioned earlier, I have not been able to reproduce this problem. I tried 6-7 times to power down from the remote from resume mode, and never had an issue powering up. I will try some more times, I may be missing something. I hope this review helps some people, and would encourage some people to give this unit a try. I've used a few cheap Denons the 910, 555 & 1710, and was really not impressed, this one I think is a keeper.
post #109 of 787 Old 08-16-2005, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have my 1920 connected to my Samsung DLP HDMI to DVI. When I stop a DVD and then power off the unit with the remote, it will not power back up with the remote. It will also not power up with the on/off button on the front of the unit.

After disconnecting the power source then reconnecting, power up options returned.

If and when firmware updates are issued, will they be posted on the Denon website? Then you would have to download them and burn them to a CD/DVD then insert that DVD into the player?

Am I correct in this assumption?
post #110 of 787 Old 08-16-2005, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
shutter,

not sure how denon will handle fw updates on the 1920.

I know the higher-line models, 2910, 3910, etc can get updates via website.

When the fw was updated on the 1910, I had to request a disc from denon.
post #111 of 787 Old 08-16-2005, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdchance View Post

shutter,

not sure how denon will handle fw updates on the 1920.

I know the higher-line models, 2910, 3910, etc can get updates via website.

When the fw was updated on the 1910, I had to request a disc from denon.

Was the fw update you received for the 1910 a rather large update?

I cant imagine that it would be very cost effective or public friendly for buyers to have to request the update thru snail mail.
post #112 of 787 Old 08-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttermaker View Post

Was the fw update you received for the 1910 a rather large update?

I cant imagine that it would be very cost effective or public friendly for buyers to have to request the update thru snail mail.

I honestly don't remember what size the fw file was, this was a while ago.
post #113 of 787 Old 08-16-2005, 09:13 AM

AlieniceT and Jonnyozero3,

It might be that I can't reproduce this problem because I'm not using HDMI (yet). When my Sharp Aquos comes in on Thursday I will let you know what I find.

enjoy,

--tb
post #114 of 787 Old 08-16-2005, 11:06 AM

rr6966: I have the same TV (i think it's the 34xbr910). Have you run the 1920 though both component and HDMI to DVI? (my Sony has DVI only, bought it before they added HDMI) Any difference? In addition to the decision on the specific player, I'm also trying to determine if upconverting makes a difference on this TV. Also - have you compared any other players on your TV? In addition to the 1920, I'm considering the 2910 and 2900 (latter would likely have to be used or refurb, neither of which I'm crazy about).
post #115 of 787 Old 08-16-2005, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerb2002 View Post

AlieniceT and Jonnyozero3,

It might be that I can't reproduce this problem because I'm not using HDMI (yet). When my Sharp Aquos comes in on Thursday I will let you know what I find.

enjoy,

--tb

My dad's experience has been that the power off/on problem only occurs when the HDMI output is active on the 1920.
post #116 of 787 Old 08-16-2005, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

bigfan9999 ,

I haven't tried component yet. I have tried multiple DVD players on this TV ( Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, Samsung, & Denon), and out of these, a Samsung 841 (latest firmware), Panasonic s97, and now Denon 1920 all scaled or upconverted from DVI or HDMI. I believe you can tell the difference using the digital connection and scaling the video through the digital connection. The difference is minor but it is there. Some DVD players look better at 720p ( the 1920 does ), and some look better at 1080i. Generally, the 1080i provides a tiny bit more detail on this TV. A big factor for me is the quality of DVD (film transfer) that you are watching. If the movie has a lot of film noise, this will be more evident as well. A clean video transfer like Lord of the Rings will yield an awesome picture. I would recommend the 1920, 2910, and s97 for this tv. Right now, I am happy with the 1920 and I will keep it. P.S. I was able to recreate the problem with powering off from RESUME with Denon DVD-1920. It is not a problem enough to return this unit for me. I haven't found a perfect player yet, they all seemed to need some sort of firmware update.
post #117 of 787 Old 08-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

I've also experienced the power off issue, but I found there are a couple of work arounds.
1) After pressing Stop, the player goes into Resume mode. If you press Stop again then the player is no longer in Resume mode and you can turn off player and turn back on, no problems. The disc, will of course start over at the beginning.
2) Instead of pressing Stop on the player before turning off, press the Pause button. You can then turn off the player and turn it back on again without issues. The disc will pickup from where you paused.
Someone else can verify if they want. This is no big deal for me. I'll wait to see what Denon says. For me, this player is a keeper.

Keith S.
post #118 of 787 Old 08-16-2005, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

That's interesting that Pause will work through a power off just as well as a Stop/Resume. Neat.

Don't get me wrong - if I don't keep the player it won't be because of a silly issue like this. This is small potatoes compared to image quality and such

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #119 of 787 Old 08-16-2005, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

This player is perfect for my Mits 52725, in the family room. This is not my primary movie viewing setup, so it was the right price. It does have a great picture via the HDMI and sound is good enough for what I'm using it for. Hopefully I'll sit down and do some serious calibrating this weekend. I did the basics with Avia Pro, so I need to do the grey scale this weekend with the Optic One.
I'll report on the results once I finish.

Keith S.
post #120 of 787 Old 08-17-2005, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone had the opportunity to watch Sin City with the 1920 ?
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page