Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2201 Old 10-11-2005, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPlasmaYet View Post

Since my first CX995 is on it's way back to Texas, I spent some time using my second one. Much to my surprise the "Multi Disk Memory Function" doesn't work. If I stop a disk, turn the unit off and then later turn it on the disk resumes play in the spot I left off. Yet, if I stop a disk, go to another disk and then return to the first disk, the disk starts from the beginning (not where I left off). I found the same thing happens regardless of what disks I go to. The only time the unit remembers it position is if I stay on the that disk.

Can anyone else confirm the memory function?

And yes, I have it turned on in the setup menu.

Just checking, again, Can anyone tell me if their cx995 multi-disk memory function works?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2201 Old 10-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Since my first CX995 is on it's way back to Texas, I spent some time using my second one. Much to my surprise the "Multi Disk Memory Function" doesn't work. If I stop a disk, turn the unit off and then later turn it on the disk resumes play in the spot I left off. Yet, if I stop a disk, go to another disk and then return to the first disk, the disk starts from the beginning (not where I left off). I found the same thing happens regardless of what disks I go to. The only time the unit remembers it position is if I stay on the that disk.

Can anyone else confirm the memory function?

And yes, I have it turned on in the setup menu.

Yes, this is the way it is supposed to work, all the newer Sony changers are that way.
post #273 of 2201 Old 10-11-2005, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdaddy View Post

Yes, this is the way it is supposed to work, all the newer Sony changers are that way.

Kingdaddy,

It's supposed to remember the positions for 40 disks. I can only get it to remember one...
post #274 of 2201 Old 10-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Kingdaddy,

It's supposed to remember the positions for 40 disks. I can only get it to remember one...

That's correct, same way my CX777ES works. There was a thread on another forum where many others noticed this on the CX985, which works the same as the ES version. The older players from Sony would remember 40 discs, but no one has reported this to work on any of the newer ones. They also deleted the Flip feature which many are unhappy about, same crappy Disc Explorer however.
post #275 of 2201 Old 10-11-2005, 08:33 AM

Quote:

That's correct, same way my CX777ES works. There was a thread on another forum where many others noticed this on the CX985, which works the same as the ES version. The older players from Sony would remember 40 discs, but no one has reported this to work on any of the newer ones. They also deleted the Flip feature which many are unhappy about, same crappy Disc Explorer however.

Thanks for the info. I guess Sony Tech Service is not aware of this. When I asked them I was told "it should remember all those positions". Of course, they also told me that "autoplay" can be turned off...
post #276 of 2201 Old 10-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

Greetings,

My 995 remembers more than the last disc played. I don't know how many it will remember however it is more than 1. I will run a few tests later on tonight and report back.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #277 of 2201 Old 10-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I guess Sony Tech Service is not aware of this. When I asked them I was told "it should remember all those positions". Of course, they also told me that "autoplay" can be turned off...

Don't waste your time with the Sony Tech's, they don't even use their own equipment so they don't know how anything works. In fact, according to my research and about 30Hrs logged on the phone with many Sony techs up to the highest level over the last 6 years, nobody at Sony actually uses any of their equipment, they cant even tell you how it's supposed to interface together properly. Then 995 may have this ability, but the 985 and 777ES do not.

Sony IMO has the dumbest bunch of Japanese engineers on the planet, they keep making the same stupid mistakes over and over again, and most of their 2-way stuff will not even properly talk together. My old TA-E9000ES processor with the fancy 2-way remote would not download all the disc information from their 400 disc changer that was manufactured the same year, it would only take 200 CD's worth of info and they hadn't made a 200 disc or less player in years at that point. To make matters worse, none of the techs could figure this out, they weren't even clear on the ability of the remote to download this info, and couldn't care less that it didn't match up to the latest changers they made. I have countless stories of Sony's extreme discontinuity within their company. If they would only use Sony equipment in their own homes, I bet there would be many changes, but it's obvious they don't.
post #278 of 2201 Old 10-11-2005, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Oh, I wouldn't say they were dumb, they just don't care.
post #279 of 2201 Old 10-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

Greetings,

My 995 remembers more than the last disc played. I don't know how many it will remember however it is more than 1. I will run a few tests later on tonight and report back.

Regards,

Greetings,

I have confirmed that the memory function DOES work as advertised on my DVP-CX995V. I checked it with 10 discs and it remembered the last point at which they were stopped. There were also a handful of discs that I had tested out when I first installed the unit. I went back to those and they all started from the point where they had been stopped. I powered the unit down several times as well and again there were no problems.

Hope this helps those who had a question regarding this feature.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #280 of 2201 Old 10-11-2005, 02:45 PM

My 995 has remembered the position of every DVD so far. We are talking about in the neighborhood of 50 DVDs.

post #281 of 2201 Old 10-11-2005, 03:39 PM

I will be buying this unit or the dvp-cx777es solely for use as a transport connected to an external dac for music.

Any opinions as to how the cx995v might compare to the cx777es (mostly when it comes to jitter specs and laser ability).
post #282 of 2201 Old 10-12-2005, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Greetings,

I have confirmed that the memory function DOES work as advertised on my DVP-CX995V. I checked it with 10 discs and it remembered the last point at which they were stopped. There were also a handful of discs that I had tested out when I first installed the unit. I went back to those and they all started from the point where they had been stopped. I powered the unit down several times as well and again there were no problems.

Hope this helps those who had a question regarding this feature.

Regards,

Placidman,

Thanks for checking. I did try my again last night, the memory function only works for one disk. I tried stopping the play before switching to another disk, I tried going right into the disk explorer and even direct access to a particular disk. And it just doesn't work...

I do have a question. Have you ever turned the multi-disk memory function off (in the menu) and tried to see if it still works? Then turn it on and see the results?
I tried several times with mine and haven't had any luck...

This means I wound up with two defective units in a row...the thing is, I like the convenience and picture quality...
post #283 of 2201 Old 10-12-2005, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple leafs View Post

I will be buying this unit or the dvp-cx777es solely for use as a transport connected to an external dac for music.

Any opinions as to how the cx995v might compare to the cx777es (mostly when it comes to jitter specs and laser ability).

If you want a good GUI interface to select the discs then the 777ES is the only choice. The performance will probably be very similar, but control of the unit is something you deal with every day. However if you must have HDMI then the 995 is the best choice.
post #284 of 2201 Old 10-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Placidman,

I do have a question. Have you ever turned the multi-disk memory function off (in the menu) and tried to see if it still works? Then turn it on and see the results?
I tried several times with mine and haven't had any luck...

This means I wound up with two defective units in a row...the thing is, I like the convenience and picture quality...

Greetings,

NPY, I have not tried that. I will give a shot later and post back.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #285 of 2201 Old 10-12-2005, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Lopez View Post

My 995 has remembered the position of every DVD so far. We are talking about in the neighborhood of 50 DVDs.

I was happy with my CX995V, could display it on my HDTV DVI & at the same time send it out on component to another input on my Toshiba. I had entered title information for about 280 disc's and then one day turned off the power to it to see if it held all that in memory and it did...Whew. Then one day I went into display folders and it just frooze with that message that sez LOADING. I waited about 2 minutes and then turned it off and back on and yep... all the title information I entered was now gone replaced with ?, A good thing I was home alone cause KILL was flashing in my brain. I'm writeing this to inform others who may be thinking of buying this jukebox that it is no fun to sit down and write all your titles ( up to 400 ) into this thing knowing that it might be lost for some quirky unknown reason and your back to imputing them all again(KILL). By the way thankyou to all the DVD producers who charge from $10.. to $20.00 for there dvd's and do not bother to put the title information into the dvd's, about 9 out of 10 dvds are missing this info...yeah i'm being sarcastic. Well down the road I will be looking to sell this unit for one where were I can upload the title info or one that wont lose all that info. Yes I typed it all back in(KILL)
post #286 of 2201 Old 10-12-2005, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Blame Sony, not the DVD producers.
About 85-90% have the proper title on them.
Just stick a DVD in your computer, the movie title will show up as the disc's label.
Sony could have made it so easy to load the player, they chose not to.
Sony seems to use some obscure DVD-Text flag that about 5% DVDs use (including Sony)
post #287 of 2201 Old 10-18-2005, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

A quick update to my tests...
I tried a Dual Layer test backup of the Aviator (which wouldn't play correctly in my Samsung) and it worked great.
The picture was jaw dropping.
So far, I am very happy.

Can you kindly tell us what media (ie brand) did you use for the dual layer ?
thanks
post #288 of 2201 Old 10-18-2005, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I have tested it with TDK and Memorex.
I ordered a pack of 30 from New Egg. Hopefully those work.
post #289 of 2201 Old 10-19-2005, 05:05 AM

Quote:

Greetings,

NPY, sorry to hear about this. Keep us in the loop regarding the progress and outcome.

Regards,

Placidman,

Well, here's a progress (????) report. I sent the unit back to Laredo, TX. Sony received the unit last Wednesday (10/12/05). I have the FedEx delivery confirmation.

As of today they still report that they haven't received my CX995.

Yep, I spoke with Sony Service (be prepared to spend lots of time on the phone, even for simple questions...). They are going to "look" for it and get back to me...
post #290 of 2201 Old 10-19-2005, 05:43 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Placidman,

Well, here's a progress (????) report. I sent the unit back to Laredo, TX. Sony received the unit last Wednesday (10/12/05). I have the FedEx delivery confirmation.

As of today they still report that they haven't received my CX995.

Yep, I spoke with Sony Service (be prepared to spend lots of time on the phone, even for simple questions...). They are going to "look" for it and get back to me...

Greetings,

Arrgghhhhh !!!!! What a real pain the butt.......hopefully you will get a call back that says that your unit has been repaired and shipped back to you already. That sounds crazy but it has happend that by the time the updates get caught up the unit has been fixed and shipped.

HOW'S THAT for positive thinking.........

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #291 of 2201 Old 10-19-2005, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Im interested in one of these units, but am not excited about having to re enter all the information everytime the unit loses power. I live in california so we have blackouts frequently, and when ever I want to say put in a new light fixture I turn off the power.

My idea is to add a backup battery inside the unit. Would have to locate where exactly all of that information is stored, what votage it runs on, and which pin the power goes through, but it doesnt seem all too difficult. Anyone have a thought on this?

One question I have, is it possible to have some sort of backup on CD that I just reload whenever, like can you load the cover jpegs en mass?

CROPPED < OAR < OPEN MATTE -- OOOOH I SAID IT!
post #292 of 2201 Old 10-20-2005, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is what I'm going to do if I decide to keep the unit.
I did the same thing with my last 300+1 player from Sony with the useless Explorer interface.
I'm going to enter all the DVDs in Excel w/ numbers, then load them in and keep the list in the viewing room.
When I want to watch a DVD, I just refer to the list, enter the number on the remote and voila! It works.
I don't have to worry about power outages.
post #293 of 2201 Old 10-20-2005, 06:31 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolop View Post

Im interested in one of these units, but am not excited about having to re enter all the information everytime the unit loses power. I live in california so we have blackouts frequently, and when ever I want to say put in a new light fixture I turn off the power.

My idea is to add a backup battery inside the unit. Would have to locate where exactly all of that information is stored, what votage it runs on, and which pin the power goes through, but it doesnt seem all too difficult. Anyone have a thought on this?

One question I have, is it possible to have some sort of backup on CD that I just reload whenever, like can you load the cover jpegs en mass?

Greetings,

This seems like a lot of work. It has not been my experience that all the information is lost when the unit loses power. What I did was I created a list on my PC of all the films that are loaded on my 995 and they are listed by slot number. When I want to watch a DVD I don't even bring up Disc explorer. I just punch in the slot number and the movie loads up and plays. I do the same for music.

I do have all the discs info stored in Disc Explorer and when I add a title I enter that info as well. When that is done I update my list and print it out ( from my PC ). As I stated I have had at least one power outage and my unit did not lose the stored disc info.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #294 of 2201 Old 10-20-2005, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Greetings,

Arrgghhhhh !!!!! What a real pain the butt.......hopefully you will get a call back that says that your unit has been repaired and shipped back to you already. That sounds crazy but it has happend that by the time the updates get caught up the unit has been fixed and shipped.

HOW'S THAT for positive thinking.........

If that happens....I'll be sure to run right out and buy a lottery ticket...I figure I'd be on a lucky streak...
post #295 of 2201 Old 10-20-2005, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

Here is what I'm going to do if I decide to keep the unit.
I did the same thing with my last 300+1 player from Sony with the useless Explorer interface.
I'm going to enter all the DVDs in Excel w/ numbers, then load them in and keep the list in the viewing room.
When I want to watch a DVD, I just refer to the list, enter the number on the remote and voila! It works.
I don't have to worry about power outages.

It would be a lot easier for you to just use the free version of DVD Profiler in the same way.

http://www.intervocative.com/Products.aspx
post #296 of 2201 Old 10-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

If that happens....I'll be sure to run right out and buy a lottery ticket...I figure I'd be on a lucky streak...

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #297 of 2201 Old 10-20-2005, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I use DVD Profiler as a backup. I have 350 DVD's entered in the 995. I have turned off the power to the DVD Player and never lost any data. Why not buy a Battery backup like I use for my computer. This could provide hours of backup power.
post #298 of 2201 Old 10-21-2005, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I actually have over 500 DVDs in an old Profile account that I haven't used in awhile.
I have some updating to do but at least it won't be too much.
Jeez, I forgot I had that many DVDs.

But my point on the UPS, why bother typing in all that data when there is a risk of losing it? What does the Explorer software give you over a good old fashion printed list?
post #299 of 2201 Old 10-21-2005, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Has it been confirmed that this changer will send 480i over HDMI? It's been mentioned a couple times in this thread, but I don't think it has been confirmed.

Thanks!
post #300 of 2201 Old 10-21-2005, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I am a perfectionist and dont want to look at a peice of paper to pick my movies, I also want to enter in the Covers of each movie. I think Ill just go with a UPS.

Why would you want 480i through HDMI?

CROPPED < OAR < OPEN MATTE -- OOOOH I SAID IT!
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer , Sony Dvp Ns710h B 1080p Upscaling Dvd Player Black , Sony , Sony Brand , Sony Corp , Sony Corporation , Sony Electronics
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page