Sony DVP-CX995V owner's thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 2201 Old 11-09-2005, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mac The Knife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

...

One question....can you run the "Load" command on one disc at a time via the Load button? I pressed the One/All button to set it to One, and set the current disc nob to a disc I had just added, but when I pressed the Load button I think it went ahead and scanned all the discs in the unit.

If it works like the older models, just make sure that the carosel is set to the position that you just loaded, close the door and the player will start to play the disk (or just hit the play button if it doesn't start automatically).

Every time it plays a disk it updates the info just like using the load button.
Mac The Knife is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 2201 Old 11-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Member
 
zoiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I'll guess I'll pull the trigger and buy then.
zoiks is offline  
post #363 of 2201 Old 11-09-2005, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK...had a hang and lost some data today. Inputting some DVD names at lunch time (nice to live near work) and the changer hung at one point. I had selected to view one of the DVDs after naming it, and the movie didn't play, and the changer screen kept flashing the DVD number and sat there for several minutes.

I finally had to power down and back up, and found that a bunch of movies I had entered info for were either missing all their data, or missing title and artist. Even when those two fields were blank I was unable to edit the name or artist fields. Had to play each corrupted movie to clear/reset the info.

Annoying...I had entered a lot of titles so there may be a limit to what the unit can take via keyboard...anyone else seen a problem like this?

I'm thinking I'd stop entering and turn the unit off and on again once in a while for future name entry sessions.

Also, if you open the door, remove a disc, and close the door, but don't access the disc, will the player "know" and erase that disc's information? Thinking about when the kids may want to take a disc to play in the other room....
Danabw is offline  
post #364 of 2201 Old 11-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Senior Member
 
JimmytheSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: UK/USA
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp8192 View Post

And there should be no difference in PQ between machines with SDI mods. If there is, well, then these mods aren't doing what they're supposed to be doing.

KP

Unfortunately, you are very wrong there! Just as different dvd players sound different through their digital coaxial outputs, so the image differs from machine to machine on SDI output. This is down to a number of factors.... the quality of the mpeg decoder on board the unit, quality of SDI mod, quality of power supply etc etc
I'd agree that he would be better off with the 777ES as the machine appears to be of a better build quality also.
JimmytheSaint is offline  
post #365 of 2201 Old 11-09-2005, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A few glitches w/the 995 today...one maybe a one-time glitch, the other appears to be a bit of bad design and/or failure.

If you leave your player on with a parental controlled movie in the selected slot, the password screen appears when you turn the set off, and then on.

I have been unable to find any way to:

1. Close the password screen after it appears w/out entering a password, so I can select another movie
2. Close the password screen after entering an incorrect password

So you are forced to enter the password one way or another, and start the movie...I've tried pressing the Folder button immediately and repeatedly to interrupt the disc load, but that didn't work. I also tried pressing the Display button, but that does not exit the password screen as the prompt on the password screen says it should.

Has anyone else bumped into this, and have you been able to avoid the password screen coming, or exit it using the Display button.

The other issue was that one time when I pressed the Folder button on my remote (using Harmony 659) the set actually turned itself off...assuming this is a Harmony issue for now...never happened when using the Folder button on the original remote.
Danabw is offline  
post #366 of 2201 Old 11-09-2005, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kevinp8192's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL -> Lexington, KY
Posts: 1,319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmytheSaint View Post

Unfortunately, you are very wrong there! Just as different dvd players sound different through their digital coaxial outputs, so the image differs from machine to machine on SDI output. This is down to a number of factors.... the quality of the mpeg decoder on board the unit, quality of SDI mod, quality of power supply etc etc
I'd agree that he would be better off with the 777ES as the machine appears to be of a better build quality also.

Thanks for correcting me. I'm sorry if I confused anyone. I was thinking that SDI provided a direct bit for bit stream of what was on the disc, and ALL decoding/deinterlacing/processing happened in the scaler. I looked it up, and indeed I was wrong. Thanks again.
kevinp8192 is offline  
post #367 of 2201 Old 11-10-2005, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I read earlier in this thread that there is another thread on the CX995V here at AVS....can anyone point me to it? I searched on CX995V and didn't find it...
Danabw is offline  
post #368 of 2201 Old 11-11-2005, 01:44 PM
SMG
Member
 
SMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my 995 yesterday, appears to be a nice machine.

I have a question regarding labeling discs in the Explorer. I loaded up about 25 DVDs and started labeling.
In the Explorer page, with the curser on 'ALL', it displayed a reel symbol next to DVDs 1, 10, and 25, and the rest were question marks (?). It only allowed me to input title info. on those three DVDs. All the DVDs I put in so far are backed up copies at home. I can't figure out whats different about DVDs 1,10, and 25.

Anyone else experience this?

Serv
SMG is offline  
post #369 of 2201 Old 11-11-2005, 01:51 PM
 
Julie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post

Just got my 995 yesterday, appears to be a nice machine.

I have a question regarding labeling discs in the Explorer. I loaded up about 25 DVDs and started labeling.
In the Explorer page, with the curser on 'ALL', it displayed a reel symbol next to DVDs 1, 10, and 25, and the rest were question marks (?). It only allowed me to input title info. on those three DVDs. All the DVDs I put in so far are backed up copies at home. I can't figure out whats different about DVDs 1,10, and 25.

Anyone else experience this?

Serv

Question marks for discs means those discs cannot be read by the 995. Seems like your backups are not compatible with the 995.
Julie is offline  
post #370 of 2201 Old 11-11-2005, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SMG: Did you press the Load button on the 995 yet? Or did you try to load the DVD w/teh ? from the explorer by pressing the enter button w/the disc # highlighted? I have a few backups of kids DVDs made before I got the 995 and the kids were handling the DVDs a lot, and they have all been recognized and play just fine (on DVD-R and DVD+R).

It's actually sad...I can't find the friggin originals...have the boxes, but I put the orginals somewhere for "safe keeping" and still haven't found them yet...
Danabw is offline  
post #371 of 2201 Old 11-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Member
 
pinedsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased my 995 today, I plan to use DVD Profiler to catalog my collection and eventually control the unit with a MX-3000. It looks like DVD profiler can only catalog DVD's, I would also like to catalog CD's, is there a software that can do both?
pinedsa is offline  
post #372 of 2201 Old 11-11-2005, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bingo!! (Like you guys care, but I have to celebrate.) Typing about it jogged something loose...found my originals!

Just loving this player...makes it so easy to actually view my DVDs again, rather than them sitting in their boxes gathering dust.

Still wondering about this issue:

Quote:


If you leave your player on with a parental controlled movie in the selected slot, the password screen appears when you turn the set off, and then on.

I have been unable to find any way to:

1. Close the password screen after it appears w/out entering a password, so I can select another movie
2. Close the password screen after entering an incorrect password

So you are forced to enter the password one way or another, and start the movie...I've tried pressing the Folder button immediately and repeatedly to interrupt the disc load, but that didn't work. I also tried pressing the Display button, but that does not exit the password screen as the prompt on the password screen says it should.

Has anyone else bumped into this, and have you been able to avoid the password screen coming, or exit it using the Display button.

Danabw is offline  
post #373 of 2201 Old 11-12-2005, 06:01 AM
Member
 
mjoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering this DVD player what is opinion of all on this one, especially how good is data entry and how easy it is to find whatever dvd you want to play ?
mjoshi is offline  
post #374 of 2201 Old 11-12-2005, 09:30 AM
SMG
Member
 
SMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

SMG: Did you press the Load button on the 995 yet? Or did you try to load the DVD w/teh ? from the explorer by pressing the enter button w/the disc # highlighted? I have a few backups of kids DVDs made before I got the 995 and the kids were handling the DVDs a lot, and they have all been recognized and play just fine (on DVD-R and DVD+R).

Ok, the load button did the trick (mostly) It still left about 3 out of the 25 with ? marks that I can't edit. I suppose I'll have to avoid that brand of DVD media in the future.

Another question, if I've entered a title, will running the 'load' process erase the info. ?
SMG is offline  
post #375 of 2201 Old 11-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
FBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If I put in a backup copy of a DVD I get a ? symbol too. Just start the move. Then stop and go back to the Folders. That ? symbol is gone and you can enter data.
FBlack is offline  
post #376 of 2201 Old 11-12-2005, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinedsa View Post

Just purchased my 995 today, I plan to use DVD Profiler to catalog my collection and eventually control the unit with a MX-3000. It looks like DVD profiler can only catalog DVD's, I would also like to catalog CD's, is there a software that can do both?

There is nothing that I know of, for the cataloging of CD's with the newer Sony DVD megachangers. But if you buy a either a new Sony CDP-CX355 or CX455 and a device called the SAVR, for about $75. or the now discontinued Slink-E, and one of the various CD/Music catalog programs that go for about $40. Not only will it catalog the CD's for them on a PC, it will also go online and automatically look them up and even load their associated cover art.

Note, the SAVR and Slink-E devices will ONLY work on the Sony CD or DVD megachangers that has a Control-S and Control-A1/A1II connection. Which the CX-DVP955 does not have, nor does it's predecessor the 985.

Here is the SAVR, which also has links to the needed software.

http://www.blackboxdesigns.com/


And here is the discontinued Slink-E. And although it's been discontinued, there is still a lot of good info there about controlling the various older Sony CD and DVD megachangers that can be controlled in this way.

http://www.nirvis.com/slink-e.htm


And BTW:

If you had the Sony DVP-CX777ES, and a program called DVDgenie. Then you could do as above with the CD changers. In that you could hook it up, or even multiple 777ES's, to a PC via the RS232, and then have it log onto the net. And it will automatically look up and catalog all of your DVD's and then D/L and load the cover art for them, plus you can fully control all of the 777ES's via the PC with it also.

Here is the link for that program.

http://www.ibtcorp.com/dvpgenie/default.asp
Johnla is offline  
post #377 of 2201 Old 11-13-2005, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post

Ok, the load button did the trick (mostly) It still left about 3 out of the 25 with ? marks that I can't edit. I suppose I'll have to avoid that brand of DVD media in the future.

Another question, if I've entered a title, will running the 'load' process erase the info. ?


Nope...once you've entered data, it sticks unless you remove the DVD from the changer.

Did you try loading the DVDs with question marks? I have had teh same issue, and am able to load and then edit/update the info on those DVDs.
Danabw is offline  
post #378 of 2201 Old 11-13-2005, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoshi View Post

I'm considering this DVD player what is opinion of all on this one, especially how good is data entry and how easy it is to find whatever dvd you want to play ?

You can connect a standard PC keyboard to do entry...it is pretty easy to enter the info for DVDs that aren't recognized automatically.

Very easy to find DVDs...the system allows you to browse by disc number, media type (movie, music, photo/data) and by folder (up to four "virtual" folders, which you can name and add titles to.

It's actually better than I thought it would be...even my wife thinks it is "cool."
Danabw is offline  
post #379 of 2201 Old 11-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Member
 
mjoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

You can connect a standard PC keyboard to do entry...it is pretty easy to enter the info for DVDs that aren't recognized automatically.

Very easy to find DVDs...the system allows you to browse by disc number, media type (movie, music, photo/data) and by folder (up to four "virtual" folders, which you can name and add titles to.

It's actually better than I thought it would be...even my wife thinks it is "cool."


Thanks just got this player yesterday. It seems pretty good concept. I'm trying to load my DVDs and it worked fine. Although I've issue with couple. I've MP3 Cds that I preapered but for some reason once I load MP3 CD it is not allowing me to change the title. I can enter artist and gener information but I cannot change title. Is there any way around for this ?
Also is there a way where you can enter your own genere ? It is pretty limited in terms of genre classification for DVD as well as CD. Also if I consolidate my MP3 on DVD will it allow me to play from DVD ?

I also have one more issue, when I'm playing MP3 CD it is not displaying me which track I'm playing or what all tracks are available within a folder.
mjoshi is offline  
post #380 of 2201 Old 11-13-2005, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoshi View Post

Thanks just got this player yesterday. It seems pretty good concept. I'm trying to load my DVDs and it worked fine. Although I've issue with couple. I've MP3 Cds that I preapered but for some reason once I load MP3 CD it is not allowing me to change the title. I can enter artist and gener information but I cannot change title. Is there any way around for this ?
Also is there a way where you can enter your own genere ? It is pretty limited in terms of genre classification for DVD as well as CD. Also if I consolidate my MP3 on DVD will it allow me to play from DVD ?

I also have one more issue, when I'm playing MP3 CD it is not displaying me which track I'm playing or what all tracks are available within a folder.

I have an SVCD that I got from a friend, and have the same problem...I can only enter Artist/Genre...the title field is blank, but locked...haven't looked in the manual yet to see if that is a known issue.

No way add/edit genres, unfortunately...that would be a great improvement.

The manual only mentions MP3s on CDs, not DVDs, so I don't know if that is supported or not...you'd think it would be, but I don't know. d

Have you read bottom right of page 57, and pages 64 - 67 of the manual...instructions on displaying stuff while playing MP3s are there.
Danabw is offline  
post #381 of 2201 Old 11-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Member
 
mjoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

I have an SVCD that I got from a friend, and have the same problem...I can only enter Artist/Genre...the title field is blank, but locked...haven't looked in the manual yet to see if that is a known issue.

No way add/edit genres, unfortunately...that would be a great improvement.

The manual only mentions MP3s on CDs, not DVDs, so I don't know if that is supported or not...you'd think it would be, but I don't know. d

Have you read bottom right of page 57, and pages 64 - 67 of the manual...instructions on displaying stuff while playing MP3s are there.

Thanks for update. Also I've read lot of mention of DVDProfiler on this froum. I want to know what is use of DVDProfiler ? Could it be useful in entering catalog data ? Instead of entering in Sony's catalog manual it would be great if it allows me to create entire database on computer and than import it in DVD player. If it is not possible than what is use of DVDProfiler (please clarify if I'm misunderstanding this product) ?
mjoshi is offline  
post #382 of 2201 Old 11-13-2005, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoshi View Post

I want to know what is use of DVDProfiler ? Could it be useful in entering catalog data ? Instead of entering in Sony's catalog manual it would be great if it allows me to create entire database on computer and than import it in DVD player. If it is not possible than what is use of DVDProfiler (please clarify if I'm misunderstanding this product) ?

That is not what DVDProfiler does, it is really only a stand alone cataloger. With no way of using it to input it's data into the player.

However it can also be used with the changers that have RS232 such as the 777ES or older changers that have Control-I/Control-S interfaces, to interact with the changers via a PC setup, but only if you add a 2nd program like DVDLobby or Movies! to the mix as well, and in the case of Control-I/Control-S, you also needs a piece of additional hardware, a SAVR or a Slink-E as I mentioned above. Which can also be adapted to be used with a IR emitter for the newer changers like the 985 and 955 that do not have Control-I/S or RS232.
Johnla is offline  
post #383 of 2201 Old 11-13-2005, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

That is not what DVDProfiler does, it is really only a stand alone cataloger. With no way of using it to input it's data into the player.

However it can also be used with the changers that have RS232 such as the 777ES or older changers that have Control-I/Control-S interfaces, to interact with the changers via a PC setup, but only if you add a 2nd program like DVDLobby or Movies! to the mix as well, and in the case of Control-I/Control-S, you also needs a piece of additional hardware, a SAVR or a Slink-E as I mentioned above. Which can also be adapted to be used with a IR emitter for the newer changers like the 985 and 955 that do not have Control-I/S or RS232.

You lost me at hello...

Sooooo....you're saying that DVD Profiler combined with DVDLobby or Movies!, a SAVR or Slink-E could be adapted to work w/an IR emtter to work w/the 995? I thought your point in your ealier post was that 995 owners were out of luck in that respect...what kind of total $$ are we talking to hook up a system w/the 995, if indeed that is correct?

Thanks for your patience if I've got this all wrong.
Danabw is offline  
post #384 of 2201 Old 11-13-2005, 09:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

You lost me at hello...

Sooooo....you're saying that DVD Profiler combined with DVDLobby or Movies!, a SAVR or Slink-E could be adapted to work w/an IR emtter to work w/the 995? I thought your point in your ealier post was that 995 owners were out of luck in that respect...what kind of total $$ are we talking to hook up a system w/the 995, if indeed that is correct?

It was my mistake, as I forgot about the ability to use and setup a IR emitter setup with a PC now in a few new and different ways.

But yes, both the Slink-E and SAVR2 can. But remember you are also talking a entire PC setup to do all this. Along with some effort and additional computer programs like Girder in addition to the also needed DVD profiler and DVDLobby or Movies!, to get it all set up and running as a IR setup.




As long as the SAVR is upgraded to, or is the later SAVR2 version. Then it can be modded to work with a IR emitter.

The SAVR to SAVR2 upgrade.

http://www.blackboxdesigns.com/pdf/S...uctions_IR.pdf

And the SAVR2 IR mod/upgrade

http://www.blackboxdesigns.com/pdf/U...ication_IR.pdf

But please note: as per http://www.blackboxdesigns.com/savrtech.html

"Important Note: The SAVR and SAVR2 were not designed originally with support of IR emitters in mind. The modification described here has been tested and functions well with single emitters at short ranges. Future versions of the device may implement a more robust IR support. BlackBoxDesigns cannot be responsible for damage done to the device while implementing these instructions. Please take extreme care if undertaking this modification."



And the discontinued Slink-E is already made to work with IR emitters also.
But when you see the price of a used Slink-E, (usually $100 plus, on ebay) I don't think you would want to go with that route.

But if you do, as per. http://www.nirvis.com/slinke_specs.htm

"IR interface

* IR receiver built into the unit
o 40kHz carrier frequency (works from ~35-45kHz) - others available
* 1 external IR emitter included
o Stick on IR emitter can control virtually any IR device.
* 1 Xantech compatible IR zone connection
o Connect a network of IR receivers and emitters to the Slink-e for full two way computer control of you IR system.
* 6 additional zones of Xantech compatible IR available with expasion adapter."


But remember the Slink-E and SAVR2, will also require yet another set programs such as Girder, to make them emulate the Sony IR codes, if you want them to control via IR.



Also another option that is supposed to work alone all by itself, with the DVDLobby/Mainlobby software, is this USB to IR emitter.

http://www.usbuirt.com/overview.htm

And for that you may want to look at the Cinemar web site, and may even look in their forums. To find out more about using the above USB-IRT with their DVDLobby/Mainlobby programs.

http://www.cinemaronline.com/
Johnla is offline  
post #385 of 2201 Old 11-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Member
 
pinedsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

There is nothing that I know of, for the cataloging of CD's with the newer Sony DVD megachangers. But if you buy a either a new Sony CDP-CX355 or CX455 and a device called the SAVR, for about $75. or the now discontinued Slink-E, and one of the various CD/Music catalog programs that go for about $40. Not only will it catalog the CD's for them on a PC, it will also go online and automatically look them up and even load their associated cover art.

Thanks for the info, I was hoping to find a single software solution. I did find that Cinemar (makers of DVD lobby) offers a CD catologin software as well, but as you mentioned it requires a PC to run and control the devices. My goal is to only control the player and tittles with a MX-3000. I will be using the MDX software for the DVD's, anything similar to MDX for CD's to interface with the MX-3000? I will keep searching.
pinedsa is offline  
post #386 of 2201 Old 11-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kingdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cinemar's CD Lobby, even though it has its problems, is a god send, the best thing I have done to my system. Having 5000 songs ripped to a HD and instant access and play lists is uber fantastic. Their DVD lobby is equally useful, if you use one you wont know how you did without it, it changes the way I watch movies. Those who are serious about automation on the cheep will be sorry they missed out on the RS232 control that the 777ES has, its well worth the extra money IMO.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kingdaddy is offline  
post #387 of 2201 Old 11-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
khellandros66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got mine today and hooked it up but right now I am in class so I will further setup the features and start loading the discs.

Radioshack has an inexpensive HDMI to DVI cable for my Olevia LT27HVS.

~Bob
khellandros66 is offline  
post #388 of 2201 Old 11-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Member
 
sandpj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

A few glitches w/the 995 today...one maybe a one-time glitch, the other appears to be a bit of bad design and/or failure.

If you leave your player on with a parental controlled movie in the selected slot, the password screen appears when you turn the set off, and then on.

I have been unable to find any way to:

1. Close the password screen after it appears w/out entering a password, so I can select another movie
2. Close the password screen after entering an incorrect password

So you are forced to enter the password one way or another, and start the movie...I've tried pressing the Folder button immediately and repeatedly to interrupt the disc load, but that didn't work. I also tried pressing the Display button, but that does not exit the password screen as the prompt on the password screen says it should.

Has anyone else bumped into this, and have you been able to avoid the password screen coming, or exit it using the Display button.

Just hit the + or - on the remote to move to a different slot. You can then select "Display" to move to a specific slot.
sandpj is offline  
post #389 of 2201 Old 11-14-2005, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinedsa View Post

My goal is to only control the player and tittles with a MX-3000. I will be using the MDX software for the DVD's, anything similar to MDX for CD's to interface with the MX-3000? I will keep searching.


Well I also have a MX-3000, and I even tried out the DMX-3000 software for cataloging the DVD's on the MX-3000. And to tell you the truth, I was really not all that impressed with it. Actually I'm just not that impressed with my MX-3000 either as a whole. I also have a Harmony 880, and I honestly think that the Harmony is a better remote than the MX-3000 is. For one thing their code database is much more up to date than the one for the MX-3000 is, it's easier to set up, and it costs almost $800 less. Really about the only thing the MX-3000 is better at, is that it mainly only looks better/more impressive in the "eye candy" department.

Now, that being said. I also have 2 Sony DVP-CX777ES that are being controlled via a small "cube" PC, running the DVDLobby/Mainlobby software, and I also have 1 Sony DVP-CX875P (mainly just for all my old "flipper" DVD's, as that model was the last one that Sony made that could still "flip" DVD's) and also 1 CDP-CX455 that are being controlled by that same PC, with the SAVR interface, and with the option of using either the CDlobby program or the Music Library program (as I have both), and it just totaly blows away more than what I could even think to do with the MX-3000 and the MDX-3000 program. Not to mention I can also use my Pocket PC via wireless to also control it all.

Now before you start saying anything about the cost of setting up a small PC for doing this, don't forget that the MSRP of a MX-3000 is $1000, and the MDX-3000 software is $100. So that's $1100 just for the remote and the software, and also not counting the cost of a 955. Granted you can buy a MX-3000 for less than MSRP, but you still are looking at somewhere between $650-$900 for one, and depending upon if you buy one from a authorized source or not.

I can build small adequate "cube" PC for about $200-$250+ on the low end, that will work just fine for this kind of use, and you can buy DVP-CX777ES for around $550-$600 from authorized sources, and I think I paid about $150 for my CDP-CX455. And then you add the software, which is between $70 to around $200+, depending upon which software route you take. Plus according to Cinemar, I have the capability of running somewhere up to 16 777ES if I need to.

So basically I can build the PC, buy 1 Sony 777ES, and even buy the basic required DVD changer controller/catalog software. And all for about the price of what just a MX-3000 remote and the MDX-3000 software for it would cost.

But the real big difference is, that I also have room for tons of expansion. Such as for multiple additional DVD changers and CD changers. And even various options of which software I can choose to use, where the MX-3000 setup does not.
So in a sense, if you have the desires or needs. It's almost more like a cost efficient solution, compaired to buying something like a big bux Escient setup.
Johnla is offline  
post #390 of 2201 Old 11-15-2005, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
KenLand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Sugar Land, TX, USA
Posts: 3,628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
John,

That sounds like one sweet setup.

I'm hoping I won't be too dissapointed with Disc Explorer in daily use. I thought it was very poor at first, but then I spent some time with it and the manual and got to like it.

What I need is a PC program that will drive an IR blaster to enter/reenter all the titles in the changer. Would DVD Lobby or something you know of do this in IR (as opposed to RS-232) mode?

Thanks,
Ken
KenLand is offline  
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer , Sony Dvp Ns710h B 1080p Upscaling Dvd Player Black , Sony , Sony Brand , Sony Corp , Sony Corporation , Sony Electronics
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off