post #451 of 2201 Old 12-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWPC View Post

I meant to say I don't plan to load copied CDs into the 995. It will be about 75% CDs, mostly originals. Sorry about the slip. The only alternative to the 995 is the Pioneer that costs x2 and is now pretty old tech, so I still plan to get the Sony. Since we got our big screen TV and retired the entertainment center cabinet, disk storage is a real hassle.

Oh, ok. but I still don't recommend this changer for CDs.

-mk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2201 Old 12-03-2005, 02:18 AM

I need help to make the 995 region/zonefree. Sony Europe do not sell 3-400 disc changers anymore, so the only option is the U.S. version.

Please help

Thanks
post #453 of 2201 Old 12-03-2005, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
check videohelp.com

you can use some other yamaha changer remote hack, works like dream.
post #454 of 2201 Old 12-03-2005, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

check videohelp.com

No such hack is listed there.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.ph...&Search=Search
post #455 of 2201 Old 12-04-2005, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

check videohelp.com

Does this mean that the 995 is of Yamaha origin, or how do I understand this.? And if yes, which Yamaha model.??

Othervise, could you specify how to do, please.
post #456 of 2201 Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 PM

Does anyone know what chip the CX995V uses for upscaling? I am trying to decide whether to use HDMI to DVI cables for my 4805 projector or to use component... If I use component I can use the Faroudja chip that resides in the 4805 to take it to max res, but I would prefer to use the Sony if the picture won't suffer...Any suggestions/info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rudedoggy
post #457 of 2201 Old 12-05-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post

Oh, ok. but I still don't recommend this changer for CDs.

-mk

Can you expand on the 995's CD issues? Are there problems with audio quality? I'm not concerned about the onboard audio DAC, it will be by-passed. Audio will go through a Channel Islands DAC via digital the coax output. Howeverr, if possible, I'll connect the RCA outputs to the TV audio too so my wife can just turn on the player and TV.
post #458 of 2201 Old 12-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedoggy View Post

Does anyone know what chip the CX995V uses for upscaling? I am trying to decide whether to use HDMI to DVI cables for my 4805 projector or to use component... If I use component I can use the Faroudja chip that resides in the 4805 to take it to max res, but I would prefer to use the Sony if the picture won't suffer...Any suggestions/info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rudedoggy

I have the 4805 and I'm using the HDMI output on the CX995V at 480P (995 doing the de-interlacing). The only deference is that I'm sending the DVD output to a iScan HD+ then to the 4805 over DVI - M1 cable. I also have a component cable from the 995 to the iScan outputting 480i (iScan doing the de-interlacing) and can switch back and forth. I'm still looking for a deference between the two scalers. Since I'm using DVI to the 4805 the Faroudja is out of the mix. Both images are very good, but with the iScan I can do 1:1 pixel map, so this may help alot.

New Theater Construction

Existing Theater Walkthrough Video

Existing theater photos

2.35 AR is suppose to be bigger than 1.78 AR not smaller!
post #459 of 2201 Old 12-05-2005, 11:59 PM

I'm also a lucky new owner of this CX995 machine, but since i live in Belgium i REALLY need a region free modification for this unit...

An internet search and contacting several modding companies didn't help.
Is it just a matter of time, to see a region and NTSC/PAL mod released ?

I hope someone can give me some good news, because i'm counting the days untill i can hook this HDMI baby up.

Enjoy HD-DVD - don't get Rayed !
post #460 of 2201 Old 12-06-2005, 11:56 AM

Regarding making this unit region-free, has anyone tried changing the settings in the service menu? I pulled it up last night and noticed a region setting, but I did not explore whether you can change it or not.

Here's how you get to it -

press the following buttons via your remote:

(Start with unit OFF)
Top Menu
Clear
Power-On (I/O)

HTH,
Steve

No where to run...no where to hide...
post #461 of 2201 Old 12-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

I've run into a quirk w/ a couple of recognized/auto-titled DVDs (couple of James Bond discs, actually, "Dr. No" and "Moonraker") in my new 995. The discs have jacket pictures that load correctly, but the titles are blank and the system doesn't seem to want to allow me to alter the title after it had loaded the 'info' from the disc in it's embedded format. Anyone else experience this and know of a workaround? No huge thing, otherwise the unit is working great--just makes my disc explorer listing a bit incomplete/inaccurate (therefore I'm making a master/backup catalog w/ DVDpedia for the Mac, a great piece of software that allows me to post to the web and put a catalog on my iPod even).

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I looked for a while and it didn't turn up.

Champion of truth, beauty and misunderstood giant killer robots.
post #462 of 2201 Old 12-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewalker View Post

I've run into a quirk w/ a couple of recognized/auto-titled DVDs (couple of James Bond discs, actually, "Dr. No" and "Moonraker") in my new 995. The discs have jacket pictures that load correctly, but the titles are blank and the system doesn't seem to want to allow me to alter the title after it had loaded the 'info' from the disc in it's embedded format. Anyone else experience this and know of a workaround? No huge thing, otherwise the unit is working great--just makes my disc explorer listing a bit incomplete/inaccurate (therefore I'm making a master/backup catalog w/ DVDpedia for the Mac, a great piece of software that allows me to post to the web and put a catalog on my iPod even).

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I looked for a while and it didn't turn up.

I have a couple DVD's that did that. What I did was type the title on the next line (artist). It will place it at the same point on disk explorer as the title would start.

New Theater Construction

Existing theater photos

post #463 of 2201 Old 12-06-2005, 06:34 PM

I currently have the DVP-CX985V but would prefer to have the DVP-CX995V. I bought mine from circuit city and had it sent to the shop twice because of various issues (like grinding grooves into dvds to name one). Could I take this to Circuit city and trade it for the new one or for a discount? Or could I buy the new one and take it back with the old one in the box without anyone noticing? I know, its obsurd what Im asking.

Either way, Id be suprised if the hdmi would even interface to my westinghouse lvm-37w1
post #464 of 2201 Old 12-06-2005, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by davs View Post

Or could I buy the new one and take it back with the old one in the box without anyone noticing? I know, its obsurd what Im asking.

Not to mention illegal.......
post #465 of 2201 Old 12-06-2005, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Not to mention illegal.......

Relax, Im only kidding.
I dont deny I have a little bit of animosity towards cc. for the first 2 years of me having the 985 they had it for about 7 months "being fixed", by far the worse cs experience Ive ever encountered.

But again, with all the hdmi issues, I doubt it would work with my display.
post #466 of 2201 Old 12-07-2005, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Well after a couple of weeks going back and forth from HDMI & Component outputs, I've finally decided that the Sony de-interlacing over the HDMI is inferior to using component out and letting my iScan HD+ do the de-interlacing with its SiI504 chip set. When using the HDMI output I was seeing shimmering on the edges of some objects in the movie. By playing the same scene over with component out, they were gone.

New Theater Construction

Existing theater photos

post #467 of 2201 Old 12-07-2005, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyGib View Post

Well after a couple of weeks going back and forth from HDMI & Component outputs, I've finally decided that the Sony de-interlacing over the HDMI is inferior to using component out and letting my iScan HD+ do the de-interlacing with its SiI504 chip set. When using the HDMI output I was seeing shimmering on the edges of some objects in the movie. By playing the same scene over with component out, they were gone.

I had sworn by my Pioneer player with component out (an older player, pre-progressive scan days) and the de-interlacing on my 4805. But the progressive output on the 777ES has really impressed me.

If HDMI isn't a must, then I highly recommend the 777.
post #468 of 2201 Old 12-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post

I had sworn by my Pioneer player with component out (an older player, pre-progressive scan days) and the de-interlacing on my 4805. But the progressive output on the 777ES has really impressed me.

If HDMI isn't a must, then I highly recommend the 777.

Do you know what de-interlacing the 777 uses? The only reason I tried the HDMI output was to see what a total digital video stream would look like. The DVDO iScan HD+ uses the SiI504 chip set that is suppose to be very good for film based movies, plus the iScan lets me do a 1:1 pixel map. The Faroudja that is in the 4805 would be better for video based. I would have loved it if the CX995V had 480i over HDMI, and the SDI mod for this player is just too expensive. I think I'm looking good with the iScan doing the de-interlacing.

New Theater Construction

Existing theater photos

post #469 of 2201 Old 12-07-2005, 08:33 AM

Willygib,

I will be getting the 995 and already have the HD Leeza scaler. I'm hoping to go with a CH 2.35 setup. Can you elaborate on "1:1 pixel mapping" I havent heard of that before...
What is the advantage of that?

Kevin

In an average home theater room there are 1,257 objects Chuck Norris could use to kill you, including the room itself. There are no weapons of mass destruction. Just Chuck Norris.
post #470 of 2201 Old 12-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting. I have an iScan VP30 on preorder and was planning on using the 995V's HDMI w/ it... So, I'm assuming by your post that there's no way of taking advantage of the motion adaptive deinterlacing internal to the DVD player (which the DVDOs don't apparently have), but letting the iScan do the scaling, or that this isn't advisable for some reason?

post #471 of 2201 Old 12-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

I had this discussion before I ordered my iScan HD+. The consensus at the time was that the SiI504 would do the best job for my application. Here is the link to that discussion: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...udja+vs+sii504

As far as 1:1 pixel mapping, I'm no expert, but from what I have read it goes something like this. A DVD is digital (720 X 480) if you can send your display device a digital signal without any analog to digital conversions at the exact native resolution of that display device (The 4805 is 854 X 480) , then the resulting image will be much sharper.

If you look at the output resolution of the CX995V over HDMI they are 720 X 480, 1280 X 720, and I don't remember what the 1080 one is. If you have a native display of 1280 X 720 then it should work OK but if yours is say 768 then you need to 1:1 pixel map it to 768. Since the HDMI 480 & 720 outputs are progressive your display will not do anything with it except display as is.

If I am way off base here please correct me.

New Theater Construction

Existing theater photos

post #472 of 2201 Old 12-07-2005, 10:57 AM

Ohhhhh.... ok. I get it. The native resolution of my Epson 200+ is 1280x720. I plan on using the HD Leeza to do all Aspect ratio converting and leave whichever anamorphic lens I get in place all the time. My only concern with the 995 is that I could turn off the upconversion and pass a pure signal through the component outputs. That's possible isnt it?

In an average home theater room there are 1,257 objects Chuck Norris could use to kill you, including the room itself. There are no weapons of mass destruction. Just Chuck Norris.
post #473 of 2201 Old 12-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by documentarymaker View Post

Ohhhhh.... ok. I get it. The native resolution of my Epson 200+ is 1280x720. I plan on using the HD Leeza to do all Aspect ratio converting and leave whichever anamorphic lens I get in place all the time. My only concern with the 995 is that I could turn off the upconversion and pass a pure signal through the component outputs. That's possible isnt it?

Yes, 480i over component, only 480P, 720P & 1080i over HDMI. That is how I have my player setup. Component into my iScan and HDMI - DVI also connected. Then all I have to do to compare the two is tell the iScan what input to use. You could actually send a component signal to one device and a HDMI signal to another at the same time. I haven't tried this but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

New Theater Construction

Existing theater photos

post #474 of 2201 Old 12-09-2005, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just had my CRT Mitsubishi 65813 calibrated by Craig Rounds who is probaly the best on these and wanted to pass on information to all.

He looked at the output of the Sony and said that is very good which surprised him. He said has seen a little better picture but on very expensive DVD players and with the 400 mega changer said it was a very good player.

He said my Mitsubishi is better on Component and does 480p native and we hooked it up that way, and he is right, it is better, for those who own the Mitsubishi's.

Food for thought. Looks like we got a winner here!! I know I am loving mine!
post #475 of 2201 Old 12-09-2005, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I think this has gone on long enough..

Auto LOAD= Automatically load a disk when power starts. There is no AUTOLOAD option in the Siny Megachangers, so you cannot turn it on or off. It will ALWAYS LOAD a disc AUTOmatically.

Auto PLAY = Automatically starts playing a movie when turned on from a resume, _OR_ after a few cycles of the Menu. So you can put your dvd on a timer (not supplied) have it power on, and start a movie and then continue playing it all day (kinda like in a showroom)..

The feature works.. it's just not labeled/decribed clearly.

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #476 of 2201 Old 12-11-2005, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davs View Post

I currently have the DVP-CX985V but would prefer to have the DVP-CX995V. I bought mine from circuit city and had it sent to the shop twice because of various issues (like grinding grooves into dvds to name one). Could I take this to Circuit city and trade it for the new one or for a discount? Or could I buy the new one and take it back with the old one in the box without anyone noticing? I know, its obsurd what Im asking.

Either way, Id be suprised if the hdmi would even interface to my westinghouse lvm-37w1

I can confirm that with an HDMI-DVI cable, it does work with my LVM--37W1. However, the info screen says it's doing 640x480 resolution. It very clearly on the box says the dvp is an upscaling player, and the menus let me set it for 1080i, so what's up, Sony?

After two days with this thing, I can say I'm moderately dissatisfied with it, but I can live with it. Question: if you have a model that is chewing grooves into your DVDs, why would you ever want another player from the same manufacturer?
post #477 of 2201 Old 12-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neploxo View Post

I can confirm that with an HDMI-DVI cable, it does work with my LVM--37W1. However, the info screen says it's doing 640x480 resolution. It very clearly on the box says the dvp is an upscaling player, and the menus let me set it for 1080i, so what's up, Sony?

After two days with this thing, I can say I'm moderately dissatisfied with it, but I can live with it. Question: if you have a model that is chewing grooves into your DVDs, why would you ever want another player from the same manufacturer?

Just set my 995 to output 1080i over HDMI - DVI. When I look at the info screen on my video processor (iScan HD+) it shows the input signal at 1080i. With that being said, it may be your display that isn't reporting correctly or not handling the signal properly. Normally I send my processor a 480i component signal so that my processor will do the de-interlacing.

New Theater Construction

Existing theater photos

post #478 of 2201 Old 12-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've been having problems with slot one holding the DVD title. I will enter it and it will stay for a couple of days then it goes blank again. Slot one is the only slot that I've seen that looses its title info.

Anyone else having this problem?

Well, I tried what "noplasmayet" suggested.

Willy,

I Have you tried a different disk in that slot? Maybe it's a disk problem.

Slot ONE is still not holding the title info. I moved a disk from a slot I was having NO problems with into slot one and same problem. Is there anything different about slot one? It seems that I notice this problem after I install a new DVD. I DO NOT use the load feature, I just play the new DVD to see if it will pick up the title automatically and if not enter the title manually.

New Theater Construction

Existing theater photos

post #479 of 2201 Old 12-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

I can vouch that I've experienced slot 1 losing its data myself, and I've been doing the same thing as WillyGib--playing the disc rather than using the load feature. Hmm. Oh well, only happened once and I'm almost finished loading discs...we'll see what happens next.

post #480 of 2201 Old 12-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post

Auto PLAY = Automatically starts playing a movie when turned on from a resume, _OR_ after a few cycles of the Menu. So you can put your dvd on a timer (not supplied) have it power on, and start a movie and then continue playing it all day (kinda like in a showroom)..

The feature works.. it's just not labeled/decribed clearly.

I don't see any difference whether autoplay is on or off. It seems to be always on, just like the manual states: "automatically starts playback when the player is turned on".

I also shut off autoplay on my sony 5 disc dvd changer and it works just like you think it should.

-mk
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer , Sony Dvp Ns710h B 1080p Upscaling Dvd Player Black , Sony , Sony Brand , Sony Corp , Sony Corporation , Sony Electronics
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page