See what happens when you talk trash about the Sony? It gets even. If I had to re-enter all my discs I'll be a very unhappy camper.
Trying to protect myself...when you say:
Originally Posted by tuna.man Well, I can now confirm the lost data scenario...
I turned on the unit this afternoon to set up my A/V surround settings, and pressed Folder to abort the loading of the current disc. I then pressed Display, then Enter, and the display on the unit said Folder All but the message on the screen indicated it was 'Loading'...
...are you saying you've done this same series of commands before and lost data, or ? I've used a similar sequence of keypresses before and haven't lost any data yet.
I tried to replicate your steps but they didn't actually work for me...
1. ...pressed Folder to abort the loading of the current disc
- Brings up the list of DVDs in Explorer view
2. ... I then pressed Display
- Doesn't do anything - no change to screen though player lights up to indicate received a command
3. ... then Enter,
- Brings up the context menu for the currently hightligted disc (Back, Play, Details, File, and Edit options)
4. ... and the display on the unit said Folder
- As noted, pressing Display doesn't do anything when in explorer view
Tried above steps starting from a blank screen, assuming maybe you'd cancelled the Explorer view before pressing Display in step 2 above. When I did that I ended up in the disc number field w/the "---" prompt waiting for me to enter a disc number.
Are you doing this on the device, or on the remote?
Do you think it's possible you have a bad unit? I haven't lost any data in several weeks of use, unplugged the unit a few times to move it, etc., and all has been solid so far. Oops...I did lose title data for one disc, one that the Sony initially recognized on its own and then seemed to forget (Hang 'Em High, Clint Eastwood). That's the only data issue I've had so far...knock on wood (my head).