Sony DVP-CX995V owner's thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 2230 Old 08-16-2005, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Home theater controller from Control4 will provide cover art and such for this unit with no rs232 connection. The HTC will control the changer with a macro command and you just assign dvd info according to slot number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2230 Old 08-16-2005, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I believe DVD Lobby will output IR codes if you don't have a changer with RS-232, and it runs a great deal less than a Fireball system.

Honestly though, people need to first check to see if 232 is included before buying any unit if it is something that they desperately need.

I was told though that the new 777ES player, with HDMI output, should be available sometime this fall. It's hard to say though. Some of the ES line is making its way to places like UBid (Can get a DA1000 receiver for a great price), and Sony doesn't list them on their main web site anymore.
post #33 of 2230 Old 08-16-2005, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nite View Post

I upgraded my 985 to the 995. I have both componet video and HDMI connected to my TV.

The componet video is sending 720p and the HDMI is sending 1080.

The 720p picture is excellent....so much so that I can see no difference when switching to HDMI.

My question is this...should I really expect a big difference from a DVD source that wasn't recorded in HiDef to start with? Another way to put it..can you really make a silk purse from a sow's ear?

I know broadcast HiDef from HD Net is dramatically superior to HBO HiDef. But they film right from the start with HiDef cameras.

You cannot send 720p over component. Component is limited to 480p.

Most all DVD's are sourced from film. There are a few that start as HDCAM work, like the new star wars movies. You will also see some that say they are "master in high definition". The bottom, line, though, is DVD is not an HD format, and you are going to get standard def one way or another. Some standard def will look better than others, but its not HD, even when you upconvert it to 720p or 1080i.

The biggest difference you see between HDNET and HBO is that HDNET is shot in 30fps video, HBO shows movies that are sourced from 24FPS film. Video and film sources look very different. Not necessarily less resolution, depending on the quality of the source.

post #34 of 2230 Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

Scrolling through the list on the disk explorer is OK, but not really that fast. I cannot compare it to the older 985. I am not sure how to speed through the list or manually input a disk number. I guess I better get out the manual.

Can anyone confirm whether or not you can input a disk number? I'm considering one of these units, but if I can't use my HTPC+UIRT or a Pronto style remote to jump directly to a new disc, it becomes much less interesting to me.

Thanks.
post #35 of 2230 Old 08-16-2005, 10:59 AM

How fast are the layer changes?

John McGee
post #36 of 2230 Old 08-16-2005, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates View Post

How fast are the layer changes?

I've yet to notice a layer change....
post #37 of 2230 Old 08-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You can direct access a disk it's number by hitting diplay, enter, disk#, and display. I could not find it in the manual, (I assume it is there) but it works.

Or you can use the disk skip mode to navigate to a disk number then play it.
post #38 of 2230 Old 08-16-2005, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

You can direct access a disk it's number by hitting diplay, enter, disk#, and display. I could not find it in the manual, (I assume it is there) but it works.

Or you can use the disk skip mode to navigate to a disk number then play it.

FBlack,

Thanks for the tip. One question I found that Display, enter, Disk# and then "enter" worked. I haven't found it in the manual, yet....
post #39 of 2230 Old 08-16-2005, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Ballew View Post

You cannot send 720p over component. Component is limited to 480p.

Andrew - you might want to clarify. 720p and 1080i can be sent over component, in general. However, the Sony 995 will not upscale DVDs to 720 or 1080 over component. You must use HDMI for that.

longshanksdvd - someone confirmed in the other thread that the 995 does not pass 480i over HDMI. This is interesting as their other upscaling player, the 975 does. (Albeit, the 975 is not a changer)

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #40 of 2230 Old 08-16-2005, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Andrew - you might want to clarify. 720p and 1080i can be sent over component, in general. However, the Sony 995 will not upscale DVDs to 720 or 1080 over component. You must use HDMI for that.

longshanksdvd - someone confirmed in the other thread that the 995 does not pass 480i over HDMI. This is interesting as their other upscaling player, the 975 does. (Albeit, the 975 is not a changer)

The 995 cannot send 720p over component. The 995 via component is limited to 480p.

That was my intended meaning. Of course component in general supports resolutions higher than 480p.
post #41 of 2230 Old 08-16-2005, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveybirdman View Post

Bear in mind that the Escient Fireball only has component video (3 in, 1 out), so waiting for the 777 update with HDMI wouldn't do you much good. Recievers with HDMI switching are still in the thousands, and you still wouldn't have the convenience of funnelling all three changers through the fireball to one reciever input.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Maybe I'll have to wait until the Sony DVP-CX777ES and the Escient Fireball both are updated with HDMI. Maybe Escient is waiting for Sony or another manufacturer to provide a changer with HDMI before they update the Fireball. But, most likely, by the time all that happens, something else better will be available.

Currently, I believe Sony is the only manufacturer making 400 disc changers. It would be nice if Escient's parent company, D&M Holdings (Denon, Marantz & McIntosh), would also manufacture a 400 disc changer that would provide all the things that are missing and therefore provide more of a market for the Escient Fireball line of products.

Also, I recently purchased the Denon 4806 receiver with three HDMI inputs, but I was also trying to avoid occupying all three HDMI inputs with the three Sony DVP-CX995V changers. If the Escient Fireball had three HDMI inputs and one or more outputs, I figured I would only have to occupy one HDMI input on the Denon receiver, leaving the others for other components.
post #42 of 2230 Old 08-17-2005, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Ballew View Post

I've yet to notice a layer change....

With other players, did you notice layer changes with the discs that you have seen with the 995?

John McGee
post #43 of 2230 Old 08-17-2005, 07:54 AM

My unit has shipped from B&H, and if I'm lucky, I'll have it by the weekend. I'd like to compile some common questions to put together a FAQ of sorts when I post my review. It won't be overly technical, and pq judgments will be of the subjective good/bad and better/worse variety, but hopefully it will be helpful. So far I have:

Overview of the current sony megachangers - 995, 985, 777, differences among models
Navigation - is it any good? Speed, bottlenecks, ease of use
Data entry - ease of use, memory, erasure of data when ejecting
Autoplay issues
PQ - component vs. hdmi vs. my cheapo phillips single disc player
Layer changes

Anything else?
post #44 of 2230 Old 08-17-2005, 08:30 AM
nmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveybirdman View Post

My unit has shipped from B&H, and if I'm lucky, I'll have it by the weekend. I'd like to compile some common questions to put together a FAQ of sorts when I post my review. It won't be overly technical, and pq judgments will be of the subjective good/bad and better/worse variety, but hopefully it will be helpful. So far I have:

Overview of the current sony megachangers - 995, 985, 777, differences among models
Navigation - is it any good? Speed, bottlenecks, ease of use
Data entry - ease of use, memory, erasure of data when ejecting
Autoplay issues
PQ - component vs. hdmi vs. my cheapo phillips single disc player
Layer changes

Anything else?

SQ for SACD would be nice too if you have a SACD handy. Also mention what kind, and length, of HDMI cable you are using. Thanks!

Happiness is merely the remission of pain.
post #45 of 2230 Old 08-17-2005, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've owned a Sony 400 Disc CD Megachanger for about 4 years now and it has worked flawless. I started researching the 400 Disc DVD megachanger about 4 months ago when I came across several articles noting the CX-995 so I decided to wait until it came out. I bought it last weekend at Tweeter for about $360 after taxes.

I am happy with the unit overall. It has the same footprint as my 400 disc CD player making me think that Sony has been using the same or similair loading mech that has been so reliable in my 400 disc CD changer. The compaints of the menu system that people had on earlier units seem to be resolved as I can page through or scroll through all my DVD titles with ease.

As many have noted, the auto title load function only recognizes about 20% of the DVD's you put in it (only DVD's manufactured with the information on them will automatically be titled). I spent at least 4-5 hours inputting most of the 300 or so DVD's I own with a $3.99 keyboard I bought at MicroCenter. Unlike my 400 disc CD changer (granted it is the first model they made), inputting titles is much easier and can all be done from the keyboard (you can title with the keyboard on my old CD changer but have to use the remote to 'enter' it which would ruin 'the flow' of inputing titles). I took advantage of the Artist field to input popular actors or the director if he was one of my more favorites. For the genre you can choose from a set of preset genres. Sony covers most but I wish you could combine genres like "Comedy/Romance" or "Fantasy/SciFi". You can not enter your own genre (at least I havent found out how, correct me if I'm wrong here.) After the titles are entered you can sort by disc number, Title, artist (in my case Director or Actor), or Genre.

I have connected the player to my Optoma H30 Home Theater Projector and have used both the interlaced and progressive output. Taking a cue from Home Theater Mag I used the rooftop scene in Gladiator to test out the deinterlacer. I've not got a super eye at seeing artifacts like some videophiles but I could tell very little difference between the two. Because I couldn't tell the difference I currently have the Optoma doing the deinterlacing at this time since that is how it was set last. If one of you pros can determine the Sony does a better job than the Optoma deinterlacing let me know!

Considering I am going from a lame Apex DVD player and XBOX to play DVD's, this is a big imrpovement in video quality. I do notice that sometimes the output is too good and I notice MPEG artifacts more now. I have calibrated the system using DVD Video Essentials to the best of my ability but I think this is actually a case of a better DVD player bring out 'details' that the Apex/XBOX was unable to. When I play a superbit DVD the Sony blows away my former players as I expected it would.

A few complaints:

The remote is setup so you have to toggle a switch to go between DVD explorer and normal DVD functions which really irked me. Fortunately I have a URC-9910 remote with JP1 and have programmed it to do everything I need without switching device modes.

Am I missing something or is the CX-995 lacking of a way to abort a 'loading/reading" disc after you have selected a disc? As I am learning the new remote layout I keep selecting a disc and loading it on accident then I have to wait 15-20 seconds before I can abort and get back to the explorer menu. There has to be a faster way to get back to the explorer menu when you do this?

Initially I thought it was very slow to load DVD's (15 seconds or so) however when I thought about how long it would take to manually do so I changed my mind. I also read many stating that is is faster than previous models. The Display says loading disc then reading disc during this process. It seems like it takes a long time to 'read disc' making me think that they are still actually in the process of loading the disc some of that time.

I wish there was a way to select how many letters of the title is displayed in the explorer. Since I have artist (director) displayed movies like Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers had to be abbreviated in the list so I could see the entire name.

The abilityto change the titles of the discs that the player automatically loads would be nice. Two of my discs are bonus discs to movies but the title isnt labelled as 'bonus disc' and since it is automatically on there, I cant seem change it.

Conclusion:

I am notorious for scratching my discs and putting fingerprints on them. Ill take a disc out and lay it aside or stick it in the case of the DVD I am putting it then loose track of where my movies are. Even if the disc explorer was basically unusable this would be a good investment for me. Perhaps adding an ethernet or wireless net connection to automatically grab DVD titles would lure me to a new model but aside from the obvious (HD-DVD, BluRay and other future formats) I don't see why I won't be keeping this player for as long as I've kept my 400 disc CD changer.

-GK
post #46 of 2230 Old 08-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I agree with a lot of what you said. I also do not like the fact that you cannot edit a name that the Sony finds during the Load operation. I also wish you could set it to turn on and not start palying. I have a Pronto 7000 and set it up to turn the 995 on then stop it at the right time.
post #47 of 2230 Old 08-18-2005, 11:07 AM

Very excited. Getting one of these tomorrow from amazon.com.

My momitsu v880 just became a big korean-imported headache... it never really worked right. Slow menus, dead loader, replaced loader, sorta worked, faceplate read-out got garbled, Face of unit quit working only remote worked, had to hit remote on knee when hitting buttons to use it, loader only worked wrapped in plastic and duct tape. Sorta like my car stereo in high school, minus the neon.

Anyhow, i run a hitach 50v500 hdtv, I am new to this HDMI stuff. I hope it works ok. Got a dvi-hdmi cable coming in the mail too. I read up a bit on hdmi compliance but have not yet gotten the urge to move my tv around to see if it has the connection already. Seems there is a new cable standard every year or so.
I'll give my thoughts after it arrives.

/edit: Sunnyvale, California / December 9, 2002 High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) Founders Hitachi, Matsu****a Electric (Panasonic), Royal Philips Electronics, Silicon Image, Sony Corporation, Thomson, and Toshiba Corporation today released the final 1.0 specification for HDMI, So i guess hitachi helped develop hdmi back in 2002 so i guess my tv is ok.
post #48 of 2230 Old 08-18-2005, 11:43 AM

Thx for all the info Andrew. I would have responded sooner but I didn't realize that this thread went to 2 pages...duh!

As for not sending 720 over component outputs, I thought sure in "custom" setup there was a place to set that. I'm at work but I'll check when I get home.

Is it possible that my Sanyo is upconverting 480 to 720? At any rate, when using the component input, the Sanyo reports 720. Maybe its placebo but it sure looks good.

Thx again for the info re true Hi Def. I guess when blu-ray becomes the standard we'll really be able to take advantage of HDMI.
post #49 of 2230 Old 08-18-2005, 01:51 PM

I stand corrected....just checked...only options under component is progressive or interlaced.

thx again sir
post #50 of 2230 Old 08-19-2005, 05:32 AM

I took a couple of dics with me to test out the layer change of this player, Monster's Inc, which freezes at the layer change on my current player, and Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones, which has a long pause on my current player. The DVP-CX995V did not hang up with Monster's Inc and there was only a slight pause with either disc, very acceptable IMHO. My current player is a Pioneer 525 - old I know, bought back in 99 or 2000 timeframe, so I had been looking for a mega-changer. Last year's model, the 985 and 777ES I passed on last year because of the length of the pause at the layer change. I have the 995 on order with an authorized internet retailer

John McGee
post #51 of 2230 Old 08-19-2005, 07:04 AM

I plan on playing with it more this weekend, but here are my initial impressions:

- Very quiet - I'd almost like a little more clicking and whirring when it's switching discs so I know it's working

- PQ is good over component, haven't tested it yet with HDMI. I may not bother, since if it's at all a close call, I'll go with component anyway b/c of the easy receiver switching. I'd need an hdmi-dvi cable, and not sure I want to drop the cash on it if I'm unlikely to use it.

- I was starting to get irritated with the amount of itme it took to switch discs, but I won't be doing nearly as much switching among discs in real life. For loading a single disc, the delay is not bad at all. The disc autoload "feature" is also an annoyance, but the easiest way to minimise it is to avoid opening the door, and to not turn off the player.

- I am VERY annoyed at the inability to rename auto-recognized discs. For example: I wanted to file all my Lord of the Rings discs under "L", but the extended cut of Return of the King is recognized, and it's now permanently filed under "R" instead. Also, all four discs are named "Return of the King : Extended Ed." They are still kept in order by slot number, so I can find the correct discs, but it offends my sense of neatness and order.

- Another issue with the auto-recognition is that some movies are ALL CAPS and some are Normally Titled. Also, if a disc is auto-titled as "The Big Lebowski" for example, it's filed under "T". The all caps doesn't keep my from finding a movie, but the "The" issue is a real problem.

- One workaround for the auto-titling "feature" I am considering is just using the "Artist" field to name discs what I want and just sort by artist. It's a really half assed and time intensive solution, and it prevents me from using the artist field for other stuff like actor/director, but I'd rather have a good alphabetical list.

- Overall navigation speed is great. The pictures are now in the details view rather than the main list, so you get more titles on screen, and you don't have to wait for the pictures to load. Keyboard text entry is tedious for a lot of discs, but that should only be a one time thing, and not bad at all for one or two.

- I noticed a layer change in Sin City (the scene of Clive Owen holding a razor blade to Benicio del Toro's eye), but it was less pronounced than on other players.

- My old Top Gun dvd looks like crap on my plasma. Jittery credits, matted widescreen and grainy video - entirely the fault of the disc, but I thought I'd vent. I was holding off on getting the new remastered disc, but not anymore

- DVD-R playback is very good. The only DVD-Rs I have are bootlegs of the original non-special edition Star Wars laserdiscs, which have always played well on my computer, but never on a commercial player - they play flawlessly on the 995. Hooray for old school FX and 2-channel stereo!

-
post #52 of 2230 Old 08-19-2005, 01:36 PM

Arrived. I just got done loading all 389 discs i have into it. I am running it through an auto load thing where I guess it tries to get info off of each disc automatically, probably just the disc name.

Very quiet compared to my old player. Would not be able to tell it was on if not for the blue disco ball and lights on the front of the player.
It is huge. About the same size as my computer on its side. No big suprise there.

Bought an hdmi-dvi cable that was 2.5 feet long. Wth was i thinking? I can't even use it for a belt if I wanted to. Component it is then. Not that I could get any better picture out of hdmi. It is just a DVD.

I should have gotten one of these a long time ago. I hate hauling out the 2 giant dvd caselogic books I have and flipping through them endlessly looking for a movie to watch. Hands swollen and bleeding from the endless flipping.. the hell with that! Now I can just sit on the couch and relax while I am unable to make up my mind.
post #53 of 2230 Old 08-19-2005, 02:35 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to have the Disc Explorer default to Folder A, Folder B, etc.?

If not, is there a discrete code for individual folders that can be programmed into my Harmony remote?

Thanks!
post #54 of 2230 Old 08-19-2005, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just connected my hdmi cable, with the component cables still connected.

PQ looked better over Component!

I inserted a disk that has the THX optimzer (very poor man's callibration disc) and tweeked the settings for HDMI signal.

Now they both look OK.

I guess I still need to play with HDMI settings-
Picture mode- Standard - ( Make these adjustment on the TV ? DLP)

Resolution - Auto?

I got the HDMI cables to see if it would help the lip sync issue, I need to check this out more. the issue is very slight, and may be more source dependant.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.
post #55 of 2230 Old 08-19-2005, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I agree with a lot of what you said. I also do not like the fact that you cannot edit a name that the Sony finds during the Load operation. I also wish you could set it to turn on and not start palying. I have a Pronto 7000 and set it up to turn the 995 on then stop it at the right time.

Hi FBlack,

As long as you always stop the last DVD you are playing where it can resume playback from that given point the changer will never automatcally begin playing that disc again when it's powering down, then powered back up. In this senario when powering the changer back up that last disc is simply still cue'd up, but stopped at that resume point. This is all that I have been doing since day one with my 3 Sony DVP-CX985V changers. It's a full proof work around.

-Lowpro
post #56 of 2230 Old 08-19-2005, 11:06 PM

Posted this in the Release Date thread also::

Anyone know if the 995 has the same MPEG decoder as sony's single disk DVP-NS975V?
post #57 of 2230 Old 08-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 3598
Greetings,

I am considering adding this player to my setup. I currently have a Denon DVD 3910 which has excellent pic. quality via HDMI. I have a Sony HS51 front projector as well. I will use the 995 for the most part to hold my " non " reference DVD's and some music as well.

I downladed the owners manual and looked it over. According to the manual the Auto loading feature can be disabled via the Advanced menu. According to the manula this would/should prevent the player from auomatically loading a disc upon power up.

It also states that you can take a " snapshot " of a scene from a DVD by pressing a button on the remote, and use that as the Jacket picture for thoses discs that are not auto encoded with the disc data.

Has anyone tried either of these features?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #58 of 2230 Old 08-20-2005, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

Greetings,

.... According to the manual the Auto loading feature can be disabled via the Advanced menu. According to the manula this would/should prevent the player from auomatically loading a disc upon power up.

Regards,

Yeah, they've made that claim about every one of their megachangers, but it doesn't work that way. If you go back and read all the posts, you'll notice that everyone said they tried to turn it off and it didn't work.
post #59 of 2230 Old 08-20-2005, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Karma View Post

I've not got a super eye at seeing artifacts like some videophiles but I could tell very little difference between the two. Because I couldn't tell the difference I currently have the Optoma doing the deinterlacing at this time since that is how it was set last. If one of you pros can determine the Sony does a better job than the Optoma deinterlacing let me know!

-GK

I wanted to say that after a few days with the projector and more calibration and testing I can say I am pretty certain that the Optoma H3O projector does a better job deinterlacing than the Sony. If your device has a good deinterlacer you might want to let it do the deinterlacing instead of the Sony. Artifcats in the rooftop flyover scene in Gladiator (begining of chapter 12?) and in test patters using Digital DVD Essentials were more common when using the progressive output on the Sony.

As I stated before, I'm not a pro at this so if anyone disagrees let me know.

-GK
post #60 of 2230 Old 08-20-2005, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

Greetings,

I downladed the owners manual and looked it over. According to the manual the Auto loading feature can be disabled via the Advanced menu. According to the manula this would/should prevent the player from auomatically loading a disc upon power up.

It also states that you can take a " snapshot " of a scene from a DVD by pressing a button on the remote, and use that as the Jacket picture for thoses discs that are not auto encoded with the disc data.

Has anyone tried either of these features?

Regards,

I agree with what others have stated, I haven't been able to get the 'autoload' to turn off.

The snapshot feature works fine for me except for titles that have their own encoded (you can not replace it). You can only snapshot from video in the movie, not the title (menu) screens. The snapshot is a pretty low color/resolution image, but it serves its purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer , Sony Dvp Ns710h B 1080p Upscaling Dvd Player Black , Sony , Sony Brand , Sony Corp , Sony Corporation , Sony Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page