Sony DVP-CX995V owner's thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 2201 Old 01-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Newbie
 
hairfarmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
johnla,

I wanted to leave the player on and not playing, however sometime when using the harmony remote it would turn the thing on and off (even though it was set to remain on all the time).

I hadn't noticed that when the player was stopped that the motor was running, (maybe it was) however it was noticable when:

1) somehow the unit was turned off.

2) turned back on, but not viewing movie

3) left on for weeks presumably viewing a Title menu of one of my discs for weeks on end.

That for sure wore the thing out!

Its that autoplay function that kept it loading an playing a movie.

Now obviously my remote was not performing as I would have wished... another rant, but it seems silly that this feature even was concieved.
hairfarmer77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 2201 Old 01-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Member
 
tuna.man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=hairfarmer77]
---------------CLIP------------------

Because of that "Feature" I would sometimes notice that my player was on for weeks on end. Nobody pressed play. It is a by product of my harmony remote. When you change activities it would turn it on for some reason. I have since tried to change that behavior but unfortunately their setup (harmony) is for the prolitariat not the technocrat, so changing details across all activities is hit and miss.

---------------/CLIP------------------

You can turn this behavior off for your Harmony remote of course - I had to do the same with mine so it wouldn't turn off all of my equipment every time I used an activity. It is fairly easy to do, but you have to edit each Activity individually.

No comment on the idiocy of the Autostart 'feature'... I've ranted enough already.
tuna.man is offline  
post #633 of 2201 Old 01-02-2006, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well just to have them on hand, and in case I may need them at some point in time. I just ordered the service manuals for my DVP-CX777ES players, and also for my DVP-CX875p that I also use, direct from Sony parts.
Who knows what else I may find in the service manuals beside just the normal schematics, trouble flow charts, adjustment procedures, and parts lists.......
Johnla is offline  
post #634 of 2201 Old 01-03-2006, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=tuna.man]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairfarmer77 View Post

---------------CLIP------------------

Because of that "Feature" I would sometimes notice that my player was on for weeks on end. Nobody pressed play. It is a by product of my harmony remote. When you change activities it would turn it on for some reason. I have since tried to change that behavior but unfortunately their setup (harmony) is for the prolitariat not the technocrat, so changing details across all activities is hit and miss.

---------------/CLIP------------------

You can turn this behavior off for your Harmony remote of course - I had to do the same with mine so it wouldn't turn off all of my equipment every time I used an activity. It is fairly easy to do, but you have to edit each Activity individually.

No comment on the idiocy of the Autostart 'feature'... I've ranted enough already.

It's very easy to ensure a device is off when not in use when using a Harmony remote, and you do not need to edit each activity...simply go to the Power settings for the device, and set it to be turned off when not in use. That is actually the default setting when you add a new device. Then the DVD player (or whatever device) is turned off automatically whenever you change to an activity that does not use it (e.g. change from "Watch DVD" to "Watch TV.") The device (along w/all others) will also be turned off when you press the main "Power" button on the Harmony to turn off everything.

The DVD player will not remain on or turn on when you switch activities, unless someone accidentally added it to every activity that has been set up, (e.g., added it to "Watch TV" where it isn't being used). It's pretty simple to set Power settings, and a device is turned off by default when not in use, unless you change that...

From the Harmony main page:

>Devices

On the Devices page, select your device. On the specific Device page, select:

>Adjust Power Settings

Three choices on the following screen:

"Do you want to leave your DVD on all the time?

Setting Up Your Sony DVP-CX995V DVD

- I want to leave this device on all the time

- I want to turn off this device when it's not in use

- There are no power buttons on my current remote for my Sony DVP-CX995V DVD."

I've used Harmony remotes for years, and never had it turn on a device that wasn't included in an activity, nor add a device to an activity that I didn't intend, of fail to turn one off when it was supposed to. It has worked flawlessly w/my 995 for the past few months. Hope that helps.
Danabw is offline  
post #635 of 2201 Old 01-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Member
 
tuna.man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Agreed, although that is not what I want mine to do. By default when it initially set up mine, it always wanted to turn everything off that wasn't in use for the specific activity. This included my HD Tivo, which should always be running for the way I use it. I had an activity to listen to the tuner on my A/V receiver, and also one to listen to CDs on my Pioneer DV-F727 - each time these activities were activated it would turn off everything else, including my Tivo and my plasma display (even if I wanted to have it on in the background). I prefer it leave each device not being used for the particular activity in whatever state it is currently in, both at the start and end of the activity. To each their own, right?
tuna.man is offline  
post #636 of 2201 Old 01-03-2006, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna.man View Post

Agreed, although that is not what I want mine to do. By default when it initially set up mine, it always wanted to turn everything off that wasn't in use for the specific activity. This included my HD Tivo, which should always be running for the way I use it. I had an activity to listen to the tuner on my A/V receiver, and also one to listen to CDs on my Pioneer DV-F727 - each time these activities were activated it would turn off everything else, including my Tivo and my plasma display (even if I wanted to have it on in the background). I prefer it leave each device not being used for the particular activity in whatever state it is currently in, both at the start and end of the activity. To each their own, right?

Of course. That's one of the benefits of the Harmony, provides a lot of options to customize, or you can do a basic setup and have things working w/little need to get into any details.

I used to have my VCR set up so that the Harmony never turned it off or on...I managed that "manually" via the VCR's power button becuase I sometimes had it doing recording when I wasn't watching it, and didn't want the Harmony to turn it off in the middle of something.

I just wanted clarify how the Harmony controls power settings...that they are set in the Device setup, and that the default is power off on activity exit.
Danabw is offline  
post #637 of 2201 Old 01-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Member
 
metfoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i am done with sony hardware.

I have one of these, and had the IR receiver die on me. I use a harmony remote, and over the weekend it quit powering on. I then grabbed the original remote, put some batteries in it(brand new), and had the same problem.

So, I filled an RMA, and i need to send it to Laredo texas for service. I need to unload all of my DVD's, and pay to ship this thing out. I just go rid of my origianl box like 2 weeks ago...

I asked if they had any sort of option where they ship the new then I ship the old unit, and they dont. What a pain in the a$$. Sony warranty support services sucks.
metfoo is offline  
post #638 of 2201 Old 01-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
khellandros66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it just more does its seems that the HDMI out screen positioning is off a few pixels to the right and this is not the case on all dvds...

~Bob
khellandros66 is offline  
post #639 of 2201 Old 01-03-2006, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by metfoo View Post

i am done with sony hardware.

I have one of these, and had the IR receiver die on me. I use a harmony remote, and over the weekend it quit powering on. I then grabbed the original remote, put some batteries in it(brand new), and had the same problem.

So, I filled an RMA, and i need to send it to Laredo texas for service. I need to unload all of my DVD's, and pay to ship this thing out. I just go rid of my origianl box like 2 weeks ago...

I asked if they had any sort of option where they ship the new then I ship the old unit, and they dont. What a pain in the a$$. Sony warranty support services sucks.

Sadly, though I currently own Sony stuff (receiver and the 995) I would have to agree...my interactions w/Sony support over the years have been dreadful experiences...I did not buy an HDTV from them in part due to that reason. I'm OK w/taking a chance on "cheap" stuff like the mega-changer (and let's face it, they are about the only current option) and receiver (got it on close-out for a song), but no way on a multi-thousand $ device.
Danabw is offline  
post #640 of 2201 Old 01-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Newbie
 
hairfarmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK,

Maybe someone can clarify for me on their Harmony the power settings.

I can switch activities and it WONT power OFF.

However if I push "Watch TV" and it does its thing, then push "Watch TV" AGAIN, it will power my 985 OFF.

I sometime push "Watch TV" Twice because the TV doesn't get its input signal so I found that pushing it 2 times repeats the procedure, however it also will turn my 985 off as well.

After doing this a couple times the 985 is on again, autoplaying and wearing itsself out.


Can anyone clarify how to stop it doing this?
hairfarmer77 is offline  
post #641 of 2201 Old 01-03-2006, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairfarmer77 View Post

OK,

Maybe someone can clarify for me on their Harmony the power settings.

I can switch activities and it WONT power OFF.

However if I push "Watch TV" and it does its thing, then push "Watch TV" AGAIN, it will power my 985 OFF.

I sometime push "Watch TV" Twice because the TV doesn't get its input signal so I found that pushing it 2 times repeats the procedure, however it also will turn my 985 off as well.

After doing this a couple times the 985 is on again, autoplaying and wearing itsself out.

Can anyone clarify how to stop it doing this?

First, ensure the Power settings for your 985 are correct in your Harmony setup.

Log into the Harmony software.

Select Devices.

Select the 985.

Verify that the setting to turn off when not in use is selected. If it isn't, select it, and return to the main menu. If turn off when not in usse is already is selected , back out to the Harmony Main menu.

Then verify that the 985 is in your Watch DVD activity.

From the main settings page, select Activities.

Select "Watch DVD"

Select "Review settings for this activity"

The next page will list the devices and their state in the Watch TV activity. If the 985 is listed as part of the Watch DVDactivity (the "Status/Actions" column says that it is "on") you're OK and you can back out to the Activities screen. If the 985 isn't listed as on:

Select: Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity.

Select: "Add" next to the 985 in the device list on the next screen and follow the steps to add it to the activity.

Then, verify that the 985 is not included in your Watch TV activity:

From the main settings page, select Activities.

Select "Watch TV"

Select "Review settings for this activity"

The next page will list the devices and their state in the Watch TV activity. If the 985 is listed as part of the Watch TV activity (the "Status/Actions" column says that it is "on") you willl have to either remove the DVD player from the activity, or delete the Watch TV activity and recreate it w/out the 985. Probably easiest (and cleanest) process would be to delete the Watch TV activity and create it again and ensure the 985 is not included in the activity.

If the 985 is in your Watch DVD activity, and is shown as off during the Watch TV activity, then your troubles might have been due to the power setting on the 985 getting out of sync w/what the Harmony thought it was (Harmony thinks it's one when it's off, and vice-versa).

Update your remote if you make any changes.

Make sure all your components are off.

Select the Watch TV activity and verify the 985 doesn't turn on.

Select the Watch DVD activity and verify the DVD turns on.

Select the Watch TV activity and verify the DVD turns off.

Select the Watch DVD activity again, etc.

Select Power to turn everything off.

Select the Watch TV activity and verify the DVD doesn't turn on.

I think you get the idea.

If you have the power settings right for the DVD player in its Device settings, it should only turn on for the Watch DVD activity, and be off for everything else.

If that still isn't working, call Harmony support...they are EXTREMELY good, and should be able to clear things up, or at least tell you what's going wrong.

Good luck. There is a small chance that a remote signal for the 985 is very close to a signal for another component, but hopefully that's not it.

Let us know how it works out. You could actually try the troubleshooting steps at the end first (turn off all components, try the different activities) just to be sure of your issue.
Danabw is offline  
post #642 of 2201 Old 01-03-2006, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xxThe Deanxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a 985 mega changer and have grown to hate it. When i moved my stuff I lost all of my entries so now they are written on paper.
The thing is so slow and cumbersome too. It's too bad they didn't make it better but I'm wondering now how much better the 995 is?

My New Xbox Live Gamertag: General Hazard
xxThe Deanxx is offline  
post #643 of 2201 Old 01-03-2006, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 995 does not feel slow or cumbersome at all to me...I have been happy w/it from the "performance" perspective. Can't compare to the 985, never had one.
Danabw is offline  
post #644 of 2201 Old 01-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Member
 
tuna.man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxThe Deanxx View Post

I currently have a 985 mega changer and have grown to hate it. When i moved my stuff I lost all of my entries so now they are written on paper.
The thing is so slow and cumbersome too. It's too bad they didn't make it better but I'm wondering now how much better the 995 is?

And contrary to Dana's experience, I find the 995 to be very slow and cumbersome myself. It is all perspective I suppose... from what I saw of the 985 for the one day I had one, and the experience I've had so far with the 995, they seemed to be about the same to me. Neither is very fleet in operation in my opinion
tuna.man is offline  
post #645 of 2201 Old 01-03-2006, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xxThe Deanxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna.man View Post

And contrary to Dana's experience, I find the 995 to be very slow and cumbersome myself. It is all perspective I suppose... from what I saw of the 985 for the one day I had one, and the experience I've had so far with the 995, they seemed to be about the same to me. Neither is very fleet in operation in my opinion

That's really all I needed to hear. I think I'm just going to sell my 985 and go and buy a regular old upscaling DVD player. Thanks.

My New Xbox Live Gamertag: General Hazard
xxThe Deanxx is offline  
post #646 of 2201 Old 01-04-2006, 06:21 AM
Member
 
tcsubwoofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My two cents on the 995 which I have had for about a month is that its user interface is inferior to the Pioneer F727 (300 disc DVD player) that I have owned for 5 years. I have enough adult/kids movies that a multi player is important to me and I am willing to sacrifice ease of handling for lack of clutter and scratched DVDs. I bought the 995 almost exclusively for its ability to handle 400 DVDs (I had maxed out my Pioneer with +300 DVD/CDs and its ability to upconvert to 720P or 1080i which I think is crucial if you have a high def TV.

I'm not quite as annoyed at the autostart feature that some people hate. I do like the feature on the Sony that it remembers the last location of the last 25 DVDs that you watched. We have netflix and everytime I get a batch of movies I load all into open slots into the DVD player and I really like being able to cycle through the movies without pulling them in and out of the sleeves. Since my wife and I have different tastes and we have kids we do find ourself often stopping movies to do other things or switch movies, etc. The history and autostart feature in that capacity has been nice.

The one thing that I think is a glaring error is that you cannot directly enter the number of a DVD by the remote and have it move to that location. If you want to quickly move through the carousel you have to use the front nob of the DVD player, or hold the "next disc" button down and have it slowly move to where you want to go. I figure Sony thought that everybody had time to meticulously enter every DVD you have (or buy only Sony DVDs which are identified in the player - the ARROGANCE!) and use the disc explorer functions to find the DVD you want. I learned long ago that organizing via an excel spreadsheet is the best way to go since it is unfathomable to me that these players still do not have some sord of internet functionality to identify them for you. I update my list every so often and print it out and keep it near my couch. Forget manual entry - if you have lots of DVDs and CD's then you find yourself retiring stuff to make room for new stuff and it gets to be a real pain to manually update that.

OVerall because I find the ease of a 400 disc player to be more compelling than its list of faults and because of upconversion via HDMI, I have been satisfied with this player. My only reservations was why spend over $400 for this player with tax and new HDMI cable when HTPC is right around the corner? Well, I guess I figures I'd save money by waiting a few more years.

Final Analysis - I'm quite satisfied with the player despite some major functional drawbacks.
tcsubwoofer is offline  
post #647 of 2201 Old 01-04-2006, 06:28 AM
Member
 
tuna.man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsubwoofer View Post


The one thing that I think is a glaring error is that you cannot directly enter the number of a DVD by the remote and have it move to that location. If you want to quickly move through the carousel you have to use the front nob of the DVD player, or hold the "next disc" button down and have it slowly move to where you want to go. I figure Sony thought that everybody had time to meticulously enter every DVD you have (or buy only Sony DVDs which are identified in the player - the ARROGANCE!) and use the disc explorer functions to find the DVD you want.

tcsub - in case you hadn't seen it, read back a few pages and you will find that you can indeed enter the disc number (from Display mode) - there are two methods that have been mentioned (5 stroke and 3 stroke), Its not quite direct access, but as close as you will get with the Sony.
tuna.man is offline  
post #648 of 2201 Old 01-04-2006, 06:41 AM
Senior Member
 
stumacdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wallingford, CT
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any suggestions on after-market equipment that may assist with the Infrared sensor ? My new 995 sits in the Entertainment Center where the IR sensor is behind glass doors/wood and will not pick up any IR signals from the remote. Obviously, I can open the doors and the remote works fine, but with 2 kids under 5 years-old..... you get the picture.

I remember years ago getting a small sensor that I taped over the IR sensor on an older Sony unit that had an attached wire that I taped to the door. This worked - but when I stopped at Radio Shack to ask, they said they had no ability to order any parts such as this, and instead tried selling me a $50 remote "extender". Umm, no.

Any ideas ? Thanks in advance.
stumacdo is offline  
post #649 of 2201 Old 01-04-2006, 07:40 AM
Member
 
globule's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Utah
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumacdo View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions on after-market equipment that may assist with the Infrared sensor ? My new 995 sits in the Entertainment Center where the IR sensor is behind glass doors/wood and will not pick up any IR signals from the remote. Obviously, I can open the doors and the remote works fine, but with 2 kids under 5 years-old..... you get the picture.

I remember years ago getting a small sensor that I taped over the IR sensor on an older Sony unit that had an attached wire that I taped to the door. This worked - but when I stopped at Radio Shack to ask, they said they had no ability to order any parts such as this, and instead tried selling me a $50 remote "extender". Umm, no.

Any ideas ? Thanks in advance.


The HotLink Pro is one fairly inexpensive solution. I have had one for just over a year, and I love it.

Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.- GK Chesterton
globule is offline  
post #650 of 2201 Old 01-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Member
 
abyssblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, guys. I've read thru most of this lengthy thread and have a question regarding the 995's picture quality. I took delivery of a unit two days ago. It is hooked up via HDMI to my Samsung HLP-5063. Looking at scenes from the movie "Last Of The Mohicans", I noticed the picture quality was not what I expected. I took the disc out and placed it in my Samsung HD-931 player and replayed the same scenes. For whatever reason, the Samsung via DVI was significantly clearer. The question I pose is why would there be a difference in picture quality? I am no stranger to Sony dvd players as I have the DVPS9000ES & 775 players.

Any insight from you all would be appreciated.

Mike
abyssblue is offline  
post #651 of 2201 Old 01-04-2006, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HiHoStevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Vegas & Cedar Hills
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As long as we are talking about comparative PQ....

Can anyone compare the output of this player to the Oppo 971H (which is the only upconverting player I have any experience with)??

:-)

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
HiHoStevo is offline  
post #652 of 2201 Old 01-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
shanewalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Upper/Lower Beigeland
Posts: 950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by globule View Post

The HotLink Pro is one fairly inexpensive solution. I have had one for just over a year, and I love it.

The HotLink Pro seems to get lots of kudos on other threads by users. I may spring for one myself to solve an issue w/ another component's IR sensor being too deep in its chassis (God I hate when that happens).

Also,
as to the functionality of the Harmony 880 remote--I've only been using it for a week, but it's been great. Any on/off inconsistencies or otherwise are both typically 'user error' and easily fixable via the on-screen Help/Wizard. It's a great device and I'm really happy that I received one for Christmas.

Champion of truth, beauty and misunderstood giant killer robots.
shanewalker is offline  
post #653 of 2201 Old 01-04-2006, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just for kicks, and to provide some actual performance numbers for folks reading this who are thinking about getting one, I just timed my 995 twice going from one disc to another...each time it was between 25 and 30 seconds. I had the first disc playing, and then changed to the other disc. I went from disc 25 to disc 170, and back from 175 to 20, so the carousel had to do a fairly long transit. Thought that might help people reading here to see an actual timing. Going back to the Explorer from a DVD takes 2-3 seconds. Other menus come up <1 second.

So to summarize:

- Load a disc: 25-30 seconds
- Load Explorer menu: 2-3 seconds
- Load "Display" menu: 1 second

All tests were done w/a disc playing.

I find that the on-screen menus/explorer respond on par with other components I own, and that the disc access is plenty fast considering it has to stop the current disc, unload it, move the carousel to the new location and load that disc and begin playing it. Obviously, given what it's doing it isn't going to equal a simple flat-platter three or five disc changer. If someone was using the player in a way that they had to keep jumping between discs, 30 seconds could be a problem. For normal viewing the load time shouldn't be an issue.

I am SO happy to trade off the tedious old steps of finding a DVD on the shelf (or is it in the other room, or ??), opening the case (oh please, let it actually be in the case ), loading it in the player, and then later unloading it, putting it back in case (assuming I can find the case), and putting it back on the shelf - all that gone, all I have to do is press a few keys and let the player do the hard work.

Plus, the load time gives me a few moments to get settled and tell the kids to stop hitting each other.

I'd be very interested to see the 985 timings on the load and menu steps, as well as the 775...Johnla, can you time the 775, and xxThe Deanxx, can you time the 985? Be interesting to compare the results.
Danabw is offline  
post #654 of 2201 Old 01-04-2006, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HiHoStevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Vegas & Cedar Hills
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The one issue that I find holding me back...

Is wondering about the PQ versus my wonderful Oppo...

okay there is two things....

Why is it that so FEW DVD's are recognized and the information loaded by the player???

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
HiHoStevo is offline  
post #655 of 2201 Old 01-04-2006, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't tell you about the PQ...never seen an Oppo in operation. Can say I'm very pleased w/the quality on my 65" HP DLP...looks excellent.

As for the DVD data...no idea why it isn't recognized...likely combination of Sony's implementation having some holes in it, and a lack of standards or inconsist application of those standards by DVD makers in storing the information.

Entering it is a minor pain (eased by using a standard PC keyboard), compared to the gain once you're done...
Danabw is offline  
post #656 of 2201 Old 01-04-2006, 07:40 PM
 
quickfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NorthEast Tennessee
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love my 995..the load times are nothing in daily life..the picture qualitys are the best ive seen ........thru HDMI & Component......STEVO!? As far as the 995 not recognizing all the movies,out of 223 dvds ...mine remembered 53!....as for me I would rather it not remember any dvds....why you ask?Well once it remembers the dvd it will not allow you to change the title......that doesn't sound like a big deal....but there's a movie called Emperors New Groove that the 995 remebered and it has it spelled like this.......emperor's_new_groove_2152.There are many more movies like this!!!what the HELL is this...all my movies that I typed in are the way I WANT them....but overall this is a great player
quickfire is offline  
post #657 of 2201 Old 01-04-2006, 07:59 PM
 
quickfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NorthEast Tennessee
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heres another example of the 995 blundered remembered title....I have the 1st 4 seasons of KING OF QUEENS....the 995 has it like this..........The King of Queens-Season 2 (d ...IT DOESN'T TELL THE DISC#WHAT DISC#?????.....Now if I type it I can do this......KING OF QUEENS-Season #2(disc#1)..and it remebers it like this..thats exactly the way I have it typed in.......so now you should begin to understand why I/you may not want the 995 to remember DVD titles
quickfire is offline  
post #658 of 2201 Old 01-04-2006, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually, you could not bother to title anything on the 995 manually, and just maintain a list off-line (spreadsheet, DVD profiler, etc.) and use that to select and play your DVDs...

Speaking of DVD Profiler I downloaded it to play with it and ended up entering all my DVDs into it...pretty nice program w/a unfortunately not too friendly user interface.

Downloaded and edited some reports to my liking and printed out a couple copies of my DVD listing that my family can use to skim through to decide what they want to watch...easier for them to fight over what they are going to see when they can hold a print-out in their own hands.
Danabw is offline  
post #659 of 2201 Old 01-04-2006, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

Speaking of DVD Profiler I downloaded it to play with it and ended up entering all my DVDs into it...pretty nice program w/a unfortunately not too friendly user interface.

I certainly don't see where it is not a "user friendly" interface. Get yourself a old Radio Shack "Cue Cat" bar code scanner somewhere off the net for about $10, and use it for entering in the DVD info off the package bar code, it just could not be any easier. ZERO typing of any DVD info, other than the price you paid for it, where you bought it from, and what slot you want it listed as being in. And if you don't want that stuff listed, you don't really need to even do it.
Johnla is offline  
post #660 of 2201 Old 01-04-2006, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

I certainly don't see where it is not a "user friendly" interface. Get yourself a old Radio Shack "Cue Cat" bar code scanner somewhere off the net for about $10, and use it for entering in the DVD info off the package bar code, it just could not be any easier. ZERO typing of any DVD info, other than the price you paid for it, where you bought it from, and what slot you want it listed as being in. And if you don't want that stuff listed, you don't really need to even do it.

I should note that I'm talking about this from a standard consumer SW design perspective. Part of my job is developing SW for consumers, including doing usability and other customer testing, and trust me, as much as I appreciate what DVD profiler provides, it would crash and burn in one of our usability tests w/our standard consumers (non-technical "average" moms and dads who own computers, digital cameras, HDTVs, and other home-theater equipment).

One simple high-level example...to print out your DVD list you don't go to the File menu to find the Print command (like 90% of all other Windows apps) or go to the Collection menu or even a Print menu...you go to Tools and select Reports. Standards, even such as they are in Windows software, are there to make life easier for users and developers. "Hiding" printing under Reports on the Tools menu isn't a value add change from the standards. Makes sense if you work w/databases a lot, doesn't make sense if you are developing SW for regular people.

My point wasn't to trash the app...I actually like it quite a bit. It's free if you don't want the advanced features, it does what it is supposed to do well, and the results have made my family very happy.
Danabw is offline  
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer , Sony Dvp Ns710h B 1080p Upscaling Dvd Player Black , Sony , Sony Brand , Sony Corp , Sony Corporation , Sony Electronics
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off