Sony DVP-CX995V owner's thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 2201 Old 01-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Member
 
mrtbig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless33 View Post

Does this unit have any problems with DVD-r discs ?

I have recorded several movies on Fuji DVD-R's and they play fine.
mrtbig is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 2201 Old 01-27-2006, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
isamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, CA
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.REED View Post

The Home theater controller from Control4 will provide cover art and such for this unit with no rs232 connection. The HTC will control the changer with a macro command and you just assign dvd info according to slot number.

Can you expand on this item and how it works with the 995?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

Guru:

Try using AnyDVD by Slysoft. I use it with DVDShrink and Decrypter. They have a free two week trial.

Whoah!!! What is this item AnyDVD? Can it really remove region coding from an original dvd like it says? If this is the case, why aren't people using this instead of paying hundreds to mod their dvd players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post

I was told the 777 succssor would be available around Oct.

Well it's way past October....heard anything new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Black View Post

Is it 100% guaranteed that a 777 successor with both DVI and RS-232 support will come out? Or is it just rumor? Perhaps someone could point me to a press release please?

Thanks!

Yes...someone needs to clarify this please

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

Greetings,

The Denon's image quality is cleaner than the Sony's ( via HDMI, I have not tried any other video connection ). However I want to state that this difference is not what I would call night and day.

I am using my setup with a front projector and a 92" image. Subtle differences can be obvious. I would say that somone who was not very fussy would probably not see any difference at all.
Regards,

Quote:


I have a Denon 3910 in my system in addition to the 995. The 995 while not on par with the 3910 is certainly not left in the dust ( via HDMI ). Component may be another matter entirely.

Hi placidman.... that is encouraging to hear. I just bought a 995 on Monday, and reading this thread has me thinking about taking it back to the store because of all the people saying they're not satisfied with the PQ. Is the PQ really acceptable? I don't have the ability to use the player yet because I don't have my pj yet. I'm definitely going to get an HD front pj at 720p, probably the new Optoma HD72 or the older H78. I want great PQ but I also want storage as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveybirdman View Post

I haven't tested the eject issue extensively, but that is my experience as well. I think it depends on whether you shut the door or queue up another movie while it's empty. I will know better after I take my first trip and pull out and replace several discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

The mere ejecting or removing a disk does not cause the Sony to lose info about that disk. If you take it out and let the Sony carousel "spin", you lose the info.

Wait a minute let me get this straight. Let's say I want to use the 995 as a convenient way to store my dvds, while using a single player with better PQ as my viewing player. Everytime I take a disc out of the 995 to play it in my other player and then put it back, are you saying I'm gonna have to re-input all the information I put for that dvd back into the 995??????? WTF?
isamu is offline  
post #723 of 2201 Old 01-27-2006, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
isamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, CA
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtwilk View Post

Here's are tidbits of info I have collected over the years:

I own the old Sony 200 DVD jukebox and the original 400 jukebox.

RS232 - I use DVDProfiler to track my movie collection (which works perfectly). I then use a program called Movies! to control my 200 jukebox. It imports data from DVD Profiler and then allows me to pick movies and play them from my PC (very cool interface with a real home theater look). It has to use a RS232 port for direct control (which my 200 has) or you can buy the IR adapter (which I have not tried). My 400 jukebox does not have the RS232 - which really bugs me. I wanted to buy the ES, but it was too much at the time. Now I have to consider the replacement for the 777 (RS232 and HDMI - $$$) or the new 995 (no RS232, but HDMI $$).

Autoplay - The autoplay feature drives me nuts!! Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Remote Control - I have used several remotes from $20 to $1,000. The ProntoPro did a decent job with the Sony, but the programming time was crazy. I had a super custom setup with DVD pictures and everything. The new Harmony 880 rocks for a $250 remote. It is an unpublished feature, but it controls the Sony 985 like magic. You can import a .CVF file from DVD Profiler or manually enter the titles into the proramming website (all 400) and then update the remote. Now, when you are in the "Play DVD" activity and press the "Media" key, it will show you alpha ranges [A-F, G-K, etc.], when you pick a range it will show you all movie titles in that range, then you push the button next to the title and it sends the correct sequence to the player. Works EVERY time!

That's all I have time for now...

Intersting post robtwilk. How are you getting the PC to let the player play on your PC?
isamu is offline  
post #724 of 2201 Old 01-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
isamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, CA
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post

Also the picture using HDMI is slightly worse than my cheap Toshiba SD-4980 upconverting DVD player through HDMI both at 1080i. It seems the Toshiba has a better upscaler and also gives more accurate colors and a sharper picture. Oh and the black level function doesn't affect HDMI at all.

what kind of display are you using?
isamu is offline  
post #725 of 2201 Old 01-27-2006, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
isamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, CA
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by la916 View Post

New Information for RS-232 Modification


I received the following e-mail from JVB Digital, which has been creating quality modifications for various Laser and DVD players for years now, and they seem to be willing to investigate the possibility of modifying the Sony DVP-CX995V disc changer with an RS-232 connection. Maybe if enough people expressed interest in an RS-232 connection being added to their Sony DVP-CX995V, JVB Digital could make it happen. Here is their contact information:

digital@jvb.nl and www.jvbdigital.com

Currently. JVB Digital offers an SMPTE259M serial digital interface (SDI) for the Sony DVP-CX995V.

http://www.jvbdigital.com/jvb.asp?c...title&title=269


Hmmm, any update from them regarding a RS-232 mod? It's been a couple months now since that last update.
isamu is offline  
post #726 of 2201 Old 01-27-2006, 07:53 AM
Newbie
 
grob312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northside of Chicago
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless33 View Post

Does this unit have any problems with DVD-r discs ?

I've found that even cheap-o DVD-R's are playing just fine in this thing. It seems to read all 300+ discs I have, all with varying degrees of light surface scratches. If only it were region-free....
grob312 is offline  
post #727 of 2201 Old 01-27-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JayMan007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Short Pump, VA
Posts: 1,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtwilk View Post

Remote Control - I have used several remotes from $20 to $1,000. The ProntoPro did a decent job with the Sony, but the programming time was crazy. I had a super custom setup with DVD pictures and everything. The new Harmony 880 rocks for a $250 remote. It is an unpublished feature, but it controls the Sony 985 like magic. You can import a .CVF file from DVD Profiler or manually enter the titles into the proramming website (all 400) and then update the remote. Now, when you are in the "Play DVD" activity and press the "Media" key, it will show you alpha ranges [A-F, G-K, etc.], when you pick a range it will show you all movie titles in that range, then you push the button next to the title and it sends the correct sequence to the player. Works EVERY time!

Do you know if the Harmony has a similar feature for CD jukeboxes? I have a Sony 300 CD jukebox, thinking about getting the 400 DVD jukebox and was wondering if it could control both with this "Media" concept ... I currently have a Pronto remote, and thinking about the Harmony.

JayMan
JayMan007 is offline  
post #728 of 2201 Old 01-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Newbie
 
gas_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post

Hmmm, any update from them regarding a RS-232 mod? It's been a couple months now since that last update.

This is the response I got when I emailed.


Hi,

No we will not the 995 is not suitable for this. The RS232 will not
have the same functionality as on the CX777 and therefore we do not
offer this solution.

Thank you for your interest,


JVB Digital
Dearborn, MI 48124
USA

FOR ALL YOUR CODEFREE DVD & SDI MODIFICATIONS
gas_man is offline  
post #729 of 2201 Old 01-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Newbie
 
Stroker Ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

I assume you mean that the red lines look like they are lit from behind (electronic) rather than something secondary that could be caused by an external reflection. Since it goes out when the unit powers down, sounds like it must be created by the display, rather than secondary.

I took another very close look (like inches away) and don't see anything...you either have a unit w/a display problem, or x-ray eyes.

X-Ray eyes would be awesome, but I'm afraid that isn't the case. It's definitely on the display itself, but I'm not gonna worry about it - the unit's working fine, and I called up and got a replacement warranty for it, so if it craps out, I'll just get a new one. As far as I'm concerned, it's case closed for now. Thanks for the responses!
Stroker Ace is offline  
post #730 of 2201 Old 01-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Member
 
metfoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by metfoo View Post

i am done with sony hardware.

I have one of these, and had the IR receiver die on me. I use a harmony remote, and over the weekend it quit powering on. I then grabbed the original remote, put some batteries in it(brand new), and had the same problem.

So, I filled an RMA, and i need to send it to Laredo texas for service. I need to unload all of my DVD's, and pay to ship this thing out. I just go rid of my origianl box like 2 weeks ago...

I asked if they had any sort of option where they ship the new then I ship the old unit, and they dont. What a pain in the a$$. Sony warranty support services sucks.


Cost $77 to ship it to Texas ground using sony's UPS store discount. I am still waiting. Expected delivery date is 2/2/06.

It took them 7 days from the day it was delivered until the day it was marked "with a technician". It then took about another week until they sent the replacement. They were supposed to send out a new unit once they received it.

Again, I am done with sony....
metfoo is offline  
post #731 of 2201 Old 01-31-2006, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post

Wait a minute let me get this straight. Let's say I want to use the 995 as a convenient way to store my dvds, while using a single player with better PQ as my viewing player. Everytime I take a disc out of the 995 to play it in my other player and then put it back, are you saying I'm gonna have to re-input all the information I put for that dvd back into the 995??????? WTF?

No worries, mate. (Can you tell I've been watching a lot of Australian Open. )

Put a place-holder CD/DVD (even blank, if you want) into the slot, and change the slot number using the front-panel dial to another disc before closing the door, and your disc data will be retained.

When you're done watching the DVD on your other player, reinsert it, replacing the place-holder disc.
Danabw is offline  
post #732 of 2201 Old 01-31-2006, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
isamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, CA
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

No worries, mate. (Can you tell I've been watching a lot of Australian Open. )

Put a place-holder CD/DVD (even blank, if you want) into the slot, and change the slot number using the front-panel dial to another disc before closing the door, and your disc data will be retained.

When you're done watching the DVD on your other player, reinsert it, replacing the place-holder disc.


Thanks. Hadn't thought of that makes sense

By the way I sent the following email to JVB yesterday.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post


Hello JVB. I have a few questions I'm hoping you can answer for me.

Which unit in your opinion has better picture quality....the Sony DVP-CX777ES or their latest changer the DVP-CX995? I just bought a new DVP-CX995 last week but I haven't bought my projector yet and I'm wondering if I'll be satisfied with its HDMI upscaling output, rather than running a raw SDI connection to an external scaler.

Also, I am considering getting my CX995 modded to run PAL, region free, and add an SDI output. How much would it cost to have you mod it for PAL, region free and add SDI? Please let me know and thanks in advance

Haven't replied yet
isamu is offline  
post #733 of 2201 Old 02-01-2006, 01:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The cost of the SDI and code free mod on a 995 from JVB, is going to be a total price about $750. As the SDI alone is about $500-$550, and the codefree is about another $200. As far as SDI output goes, if both a 777ES and a 995 were SDI modded, the picture quality between the two would via a SDI output likely be vary close to the same, if not the same. Assuming both were outputting into the same scaler. And a SDI modded 777ES outputting to a scaler, most likely would be a lot better than the 995 outputting just through it's upscaling HDMI output. The scaler function in the 995 just does not have all the options or adjustability of that of a good outboard scaler. You really can't expect the 995's built in scaler to equal or better that of a dedicated $1500-$2000+ outboard scaler. So if you do mod even just 955 which MSRP's for $400, and street prices for $300 and up. Then you are talking about another $500+ just for the SDI mod alone for it, without the codefree. Which is more than the price of the 995 itself, and then you still must add a outboard scaler that can also accept a SDI input, and that's another $1500-$2000+. And depending upon your display device/TV, it just may not be worth all that extra cost, over just going with the 995's HDMI. For what may not be a $2000-$2500+ picture improvement over the HDMI. So what it comes down to, is it/would it be better enough to be worth all that extra amount it will cost to run either with a SDI output?

If the SDI mod were only about $150-$200, then likely all three of my players would have it. And I would just buy the "add in" SDI input board for my iScan VP30 scaler. But at the $1500 it would cost me just to add SDI to all three of my Sony changers, there is no way I will pay that much. Sure the SDI would be nice to have, but not at a cost of $1500+. Not with some form of HD DVDs just around the corner. And likely when one of the two competing HD formats emerges as the clear winner over the other, then someone most certainly will offer a HD DVD megachanger sometime soon after that.
Johnla is offline  
post #734 of 2201 Old 02-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
isamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, CA
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

The cost of the SDI and code free mod on a 995 from JVB, is going to be a total price about $750. As the SDI alone is about $500-$550, and the codefree is about another $200. As far as SDI output goes, if both a 777ES and a 995 were SDI modded, the picture quality between the two would via a SDI output likely be vary close to the same, if not the same. Assuming both were outputting into the same scaler. And a SDI modded 777ES outputting to a scaler, most likely would be a lot better than the 995 outputting just through it's upscaling HDMI output. The scaler function in the 995 just does not have all the options or adjustability of that of a good outboard scaler. You really can't expect the 995's built in scaler to equal or better that of a dedicated $1500-$2000+ outboard scaler. So if you do mod even just 955 which MSRP's for $400, and street prices for $300 and up. Then you are talking about another $500+ just for the SDI mod alone for it, without the codefree. Which is more than the price of the 995 itself, and then you still must add a outboard scaler that can also accept a SDI input, and that's another $1500-$2000+. And depending upon your display device/TV, it just may not be worth all that extra cost, over just going with the 995's HDMI. For what may not be a $2000-$2500+ picture improvement over the HDMI. So what it comes down to, is it/would it be better enough to be worth all that extra amount it will cost to run either with a SDI output?

If the SDI mod were only about $150-$200, then likely all three of my players would have it. And I would just buy the "add in" SDI input board for my iScan VP30 scaler. But at the $1500 it would cost me just to add SDI to all three of my Sony changers, there is no way I will pay that much. Sure the SDI would be nice to have, but not at a cost of $1500+. Not with some form of HD DVDs just around the corner. And likely when one of the two competing HD formats emerges as the clear winner over the other, then someone most certainly will offer a HD DVD megachanger sometime soon after that.


Excellent post Johnla! You hit the nail square on the head because I just received this reply from JVB....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVB View Post


Hi,

To answer your questions:
1. Picture quality between these machines is almost identical. The CX777 does have a better digital to analog converter though.

2. HDMI compared to SDI is very easy. SDI is superior and gives you a much better picture, using an external scaler.

3. SDI for the 995 is $549, see: http://www.jvbdigital.com/jvb.asp?cu...itle&title=269. Codefree and PAL are not available.

Thank you for your interest,


No codefree/PAL option available for the 995????? DAMMIT that sucks. Now I'm gonna be forced to return my 995 and get a 777ES because I must have a quality codefree and PAL mega-changer! I assume they don't have any plans to offer a PAL/Codefree version of the 995. Oh well. It's been 8 days since I bought my 995 from Circuit City and I haven't opened the box yet(thank God). I'm returning today and getting a codefree/PAL 777ES from JVB, and will save up a couple months for the iScan VP30. Gonna cost a fortune but what are my alternatives?

I COULD get a tricked out HTPC from Cellar Cinemas with 2 to 3 TB of hard drive space for around $3000-$4000....but then that would only be able to upscale PC content. What do you think?
isamu is offline  
post #735 of 2201 Old 02-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Member
 
sharp_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now I'm gonna be forced to return my 995 and get a 777ES because I must have a quality codefree and PAL mega-changer!

isamu

Not sure if you are interested but there is a place on ebay with remanufactured units..check it out. Still have the 5 year warranty too.
sharp_1 is offline  
post #736 of 2201 Old 02-01-2006, 11:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_1 View Post


isamu

Not sure if you are interested but there is a place on ebay with remanufactured units..check it out. Still have the 5 year warranty too.

You can buy brand new 777ES units, for very close to the prices of what most of the ebay refurbs are going for.
Johnla is offline  
post #737 of 2201 Old 02-02-2006, 12:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post

Excellent post Johnla! You hit the nail square on the head because I just received this reply from JVB....




No codefree/PAL option available for the 995????? DAMMIT that sucks. Now I'm gonna be forced to return my 995 and get a 777ES because I must have a quality codefree and PAL mega-changer! I assume they don't have any plans to offer a PAL/Codefree version of the 995. Oh well. It's been 8 days since I bought my 995 from Circuit City and I haven't opened the box yet(thank God). I'm returning today and getting a codefree/PAL 777ES from JVB, and will save up a couple months for the iScan VP30. Gonna cost a fortune but what are my alternatives?

JVB still shows they are selling the DVP-CX985, with the SDI and code free mod. For about $250 less than the same thing on the DVP-CX777ES.

But you can also always buy a brand new DVP-CX777ES somewhere else, for about $550 shipped. And then send it to JVB for the mods on it, which would be about $700-$800 for them all. And then it would end up being about the same cost as what they charge for a pre-modded DVP-CX985.


BTW:

I also sent you a PM with some more info and options.

Also JVB can do the Code free mod, by you just sending them only the mpeg board and not the entire player.
Which is why the other option for having the SDI mod done elsewhere that I mentioned in the PM, can save you even more money in the end by about $170 just for the mods alone, over having JVB doing it all.
Johnla is offline  
post #738 of 2201 Old 02-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Member
 
sharp_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

You can buy brand new 777ES units, for very close to the prices of what most of the ebay refurbs are going for.

I don't think so...I have been looking for the last two weeks and haven't seen anything come close.
sharp_1 is offline  
post #739 of 2201 Old 02-02-2006, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_1 View Post

I don't think so...I have been looking for the last two weeks and haven't seen anything come close.

Well I know for a fact you can get a brand new one, with shipping included for right around $570 from a authorized Sony ES dealer. Now if you want to pay $400+, plus the usually inflated shipping charges from a ebay seller for a refurb, and then trust what they say about it still having a 5 year warranty on it, go right ahead.
Johnla is offline  
post #740 of 2201 Old 02-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Member
 
sharp_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Well I know for a fact you can get a brand new one, with shipping included for right around $570 from a authorized Sony ES dealer. Now if you want to pay $400+, plus the usually inflated shipping charges from a ebay seller for a refurb, and then trust what they say about it still having a 5 year warranty on it, go right ahead.

Just got the refurb today...I will keep you posted on how my first refurb purchase goes. Thanks. Oh yeah!! Price was $399.00 and shopping was $20.00...so I have $419.00 into this bad boy!!!
sharp_1 is offline  
post #741 of 2201 Old 02-02-2006, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well I hope what they say about it still having a valid 5 year warranty is true. And that you have no problems with it, if it's not.
Johnla is offline  
post #742 of 2201 Old 02-02-2006, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Warranties on refurbs are common...other than an outright scam I would think he should be OK.

And everyone knows how safe the internet is.

Seriously, I bet he'll be fine.
Danabw is offline  
post #743 of 2201 Old 02-03-2006, 01:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Sure there are warranties on refurbs, but they are often not as long as they are on the new products. Denon, Marantz, Yamaha and others that offer refurbs are not warranted the same as new, some are only 90 days and some are only 1 year. But when new, they may be from 2 to 3 years. So I would not be so sure it still has the full 5 year Sony ES warranty. H/K though, is one of the very few exceptions to that, their refurbs are the same warranty as new.
Johnla is offline  
post #744 of 2201 Old 02-03-2006, 07:26 AM
Member
 
sharp_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hooked everything up last night. Had unit working in S-Video and Component Video Mode...works perfectly. Hooked up optical audio...works perfectly. Loaded DVD's...8 out of the 15 titles were not identified which, from reading all the threads, is pretty much normal. I am very happy with the unit so far. I called Sony and registered the unit...they told me that the 5 year warranty is still intact as of the date of receipt for all refurbed ES units. Now I'm really happy...you guys had me shaken in my boots. Happy Happy Joy Joy Happy Happy Joy!!!
sharp_1 is offline  
post #745 of 2201 Old 02-03-2006, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HiHoStevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Vegas & Cedar Hills
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sharp_1......

What did you have to pay for a refurb... and did you buy it on eBay or somewhere else?

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Use Password = AVSForum
HiHoStevo is offline  
post #746 of 2201 Old 02-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Member
 
sharp_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

Sharp_1......

What did you have to pay for a refurb... and did you buy it on eBay or somewhere else?

Item#5862222949 on ebay. Take a look.
sharp_1 is offline  
post #747 of 2201 Old 02-03-2006, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_1 View Post

I hooked everything up last night. Had unit working in S-Video and Component Video Mode...works perfectly. Hooked up optical audio...works perfectly. Loaded DVD's...8 out of the 15 titles were not identified which, from reading all the threads, is pretty much normal. I am very happy with the unit so far. I called Sony and registered the unit...they told me that the 5 year warranty is still intact as of the date of receipt for all refurbed ES units. Now I'm really happy...you guys had me shaken in my boots. Happy Happy Joy Joy Happy Happy Joy!!!

Congrats...8 of 15 is actually much better than I did.

Happy motoring, sounds like things are working out for you.
Danabw is offline  
post #748 of 2201 Old 02-03-2006, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JayMan007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Short Pump, VA
Posts: 1,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_1 View Post

Item#5862222949 on ebay. Take a look.

Nice, Can they refurb it in black?
JayMan007 is offline  
post #749 of 2201 Old 02-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Member
 
sharp_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

Nice, Can they refurb it in black?

I know, I had to come to grips with that one myself. But put it behind a closed door or smoked glass and who cares.
sharp_1 is offline  
post #750 of 2201 Old 02-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
isamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, CA
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_1 View Post

Item#5862222949 on ebay. Take a look.


I just took a look at that page. Wow....the amount of features on the 777ES is INSANE!! Does the 995V have that many features?

I was also wondering about the RS232 port. I heard that you can use this port to connect to your PC and it somehow makes catalogging your dvd collection much easier. Can someone expand on this and explain how this is possible? That would be a huge perk over the 995V
isamu is offline  
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer , Sony Dvp Ns710h B 1080p Upscaling Dvd Player Black , Sony , Sony Brand , Sony Corp , Sony Corporation , Sony Electronics
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off