Sony DVP-CX995V owner's thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 2230 Old 08-21-2005, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I own the 985 and ran the Faroudja tests through it and it passed most of them. I suspect these units have some Faroudja parts in them- someone on Agoraquest opened the 985 and 777ES and found the same.

I was also able to flash my 985's ROM to the 777's, giving me all the advanced tweaks and such. The navigation in the 985 is totally useless btw- I just use my Harmony remote.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2230 Old 08-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 3598
Greetings,

I ordered the 995V this morning from my dealer, it should be here thursday. I will be connecting it via HDMI. I will post back with my impressions of usability, picture/sound quality and ergonomics.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #63 of 2230 Old 08-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The navagation in my 995 seems pretty fast. The skip- and skip+ keys allow you to scroll pretty fast through the list. If you know a disk number, you can manually input it from the main screen. One thing I don't like about the skip keys is that when I see "+" sign I assumed it scrolled up through the numbers on the list. From low numbers to high numbers. It does not. It seems reversed. The skip+ key scrolls the list "up" towards the top of the screen ( and the lower numbers). The skip- scrolls the list down towards the bottom of the screen and the higher numbers.

post #64 of 2230 Old 08-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No matter what you do the player always starts to play the DVD when you turn the power on. Its a real pain because you always have to wait before you can go directly to the FOLDER function or push any function. What I did was set up a macro when I power on, I let it go in to play mode and then I programed the macro to wait 15 seconds then go to the FOLDER button and by the time I switch over I have the folder open and waiting for me to pick a movie. I don't know what Sony was thinking when they programed it to play a DVD when you power up!!

Hope this helps anyone
Vid53
post #65 of 2230 Old 08-21-2005, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
A less complicated, and full proof work around is available for the auto-play issue.

As long as you stop the last disc you are playing where it can resume playback from that given point that disc will not then begin playing automatically when powering down the changer, then powering it back up again. It will simply still be cue'd up, but stopped.

-Lowpro
post #66 of 2230 Old 08-22-2005, 05:59 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post

A less complicated, and full proof work around is available for the auto-play issue.

As long as you stop the last disc you are playing where it can resume playback from that given point that disc will not then begin playing automatically when powering down the changer, then powering it back up again. It will simply still be cue'd up, but stopped.

-Lowpro

Greetings,

This seems like a resonabe work around. I would assume that when stopped, accessing the folders would not be a issue. I will try it out once I have the unit up and running.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #67 of 2230 Old 08-22-2005, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Low Pro. I tried it and it does not work. I started a movie. Pressed "stop" while it was playing. Powered off the Sony. Turned on the Sony and the movie started right up again. Am I doing something wrong. BTW.... it's not a big problem for me since I use a Pronto and just added a "stop" code about 15 seconds after the Sony starts. I have auto start turned off in the settings.
post #68 of 2230 Old 08-22-2005, 09:59 AM

You must stop the DVD where it can resume from that given point. Hit stop only once. The screen will then tell you whether it can resume from that point or not.

-Lowpro
post #69 of 2230 Old 08-22-2005, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

If you know a disk number, you can manually input it from the main screen.

Can you give more details on this? When you say "main screen" do you mean the physical front panel of the player or some screen shown on your TV?

I would love to be able to enter a disk number with my remote. If this is possible, please tell me how.
post #70 of 2230 Old 08-22-2005, 10:12 AM

My solution is even lower tech - just leave the unit on. I am already in the habit of either stopping the disc or going to folder view when I'm finished so that the disc isn't spinning, then I just power down the reciever and tv and leave the dvd powered up. I'm sure I'm reducing the lifespan of the unit, but I've had plenty of other components always-on for long periods of time with no trouble.
post #71 of 2230 Old 08-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Low Pro:

I tried it again. Still no go. I hit stop once. It says will disk resume at this point or hit stop again to start from the beginning. Then I just press off button on the remote. Hit Start again and the disk plays. Do you have the 995? Maybe it's different from other models.
post #72 of 2230 Old 08-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Linux:

Here's how to manually enter a number, even if a disk is playing.
On the remote, hit display. Then hit enter. Then enter the numbers of the new disk. Then hit enter. Once the new disk starts, hit display twice to close the display overlay screen.
post #73 of 2230 Old 08-22-2005, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Low Pro:

I tried it again. Still no go. I hit stop once. It says will disk resume at this point or hit stop again to start from the beginning. Then I just press off button on the remote. Hit Start again and the disk plays. Do you have the 995? Maybe it's different from other models.

The changers I own are 985's, not the 995. This has worked as I've described for both the 985 and 777 models. I find it hard to believe it does not work for the 995 as well, but I hear what you are saying. Dang! :-(

I have my auto-play option set to off. Maybe you have yours set to on by mistake. Even though the off setting does not seem to work as one would think I'm sure the setting would still need to be set to off, otherwise a disc that has been stopped where it can resume playback will still be forced to play automatically on startup.

-Lowpro
post #74 of 2230 Old 08-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Low Pro:

Maybe someone else can try your method and report back.
post #75 of 2230 Old 08-22-2005, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, try as I might I cannot get the 995 to work with my Optoma H77 over HDMI.

For every resolution tried the Optoma only sees a 480p signal and shows a blank screen. Yes, it is HDCP compliant. My other HDCP/DVI devices work perfectly with it.

I thought it might be a long cable problem, so I bought an expensive booster. No change whatsover.

Very dissapointed right now. Anyone else having problems with HDMI? The HDMI light never even comes on the player.....
post #76 of 2230 Old 08-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I bought a 50 ft cable also and found that I would also lose the hdmi signal.I reached behind the player and pulled the plug and wiggled it and the HDMI light worked again.I switch between component and Hdmi to compare the picture. Right now it is working .I hope this isn't a Sony problem as the auto start.

Vid53
post #77 of 2230 Old 08-23-2005, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I was wrong when I said it deletes your data. It does save it! Yahoooo! Now, I don't have to worry losing hours of input data. Thanks for the confirmation!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxSuperGeek View Post

I tested this aspect first thing. I loaded up a couple hundered DVDs into it and entered in the titles of the first couple disks. Before I entered more, I wanted to be sure I wouldn't lose them if the power went out.

I unplugged the unit for 10 seconds and my entered data was still saved.
I unplugged the unit for 30 minutes and my entered data was still saved.

Hopefully this means the data is being saved to flash memory or something that doesn't require constant power.

I noticed this too. There is an "Auto Play" setting that I have set to "OFF" but it still does it.

I have no complaints about the speed either. It is about 100x faster then getting off the couch, walking to the shelves, finding the DVD I want, walking to the AV rack, and inserting a disk into my old player.

post #78 of 2230 Old 08-23-2005, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Tell me about it. I know watch more of my movies just because my lazy but doesn't have to get up and search through all my titles manually. All I do is turn on my DVD changer, switch my receiver to DVD mode and I'm done! Movies, here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohackle View Post

I should have gotten one of these a long time ago. I hate hauling out the 2 giant dvd caselogic books I have and flipping through them endlessly looking for a movie to watch. Hands swollen and bleeding from the endless flipping.. the hell with that! Now I can just sit on the couch and relax while I am unable to make up my mind.

post #79 of 2230 Old 08-23-2005, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

I'm confused. I thought HDMI was just an easy way to have audio and video on one cable...not that it's going to be a better picture? Is there really a better picture quality when using an HDMI with a DVD? DVD is only 480 anyway...so how is using a HDMI cable make the picture quality look any better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post

I just connected my hdmi cable, with the component cables still connected.

PQ looked better over Component!

I inserted a disk that has the THX optimzer (very poor man's callibration disc) and tweeked the settings for HDMI signal.

Now they both look OK.

I guess I still need to play with HDMI settings-
Picture mode- Standard - ( Make these adjustment on the TV ? DLP)

Resolution - Auto?

I got the HDMI cables to see if it would help the lip sync issue, I need to check this out more. the issue is very slight, and may be more source dependant.

post #80 of 2230 Old 08-23-2005, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, there is an option AUTO-LOAD in the menu of this player. What does this option do?? Becuase the unit acts the same if it's on or off. I would really LOVE this thing NOT to load when it's powered on, since I always want to hit my folders first to see what I want to watch. This must be a bug...because the whole idea behind a megachanger is to be able to browse through titles and then pick one....specially when you turn on the unit this would be probably the highest probability of going to folder/browse mode, but Sony still insists on having it load a DVD even with AUTO-LOAD off?? If there's a firmware fix for this...please pass it on!

Other then that, I think the player works real nice. It's my first megachanger and I've always had high-quality single disc units, but just got tired of having DVD's all over the place. I have 180 DVD's now...so I have a little while to go for now. Picture quality is real nice, loading speeds are pretty good, ease of use is nice and it's pretty intuitive for a new person also. Since I have a very good programmable remote control, I've been using that instead of the native remote control. I use the MX-700 Universal Remote, which was probably one of the best purchases I've ever made! It's connected to my 52" Toshiba DLP TV and looks great. Slowly filling it up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid53 View Post

No matter what you do the player always starts to play the DVD when you turn the power on. Its a real pain because you always have to wait before you can go directly to the FOLDER function or push any function. What I did was set up a macro when I power on, I let it go in to play mode and then I programed the macro to wait 15 seconds then go to the FOLDER button and by the time I switch over I have the folder open and waiting for me to pick a movie. I don't know what Sony was thinking when they programed it to play a DVD when you power up!!

Hope this helps anyone
Vid53

post #81 of 2230 Old 08-23-2005, 02:07 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Ballew View Post

For every resolution tried the Optoma only sees a 480p signal and shows a blank screen. Yes, it is HDCP compliant. My other HDCP/DVI devices work perfectly with it.

I thought it might be a long cable problem, so I bought an expensive booster. No change whatsover.

Very dissapointed right now. Anyone else having problems with HDMI? The HDMI light never even comes on the player.....

Greetings,

AB, is this the first HDMI equipped DVD player you have tried with the Optoma?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #82 of 2230 Old 08-23-2005, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeligny View Post

I use the MX-700 Universal Remote, which was probably one of the best purchases I've ever made! ...

mdeligny,

I agree it's a great remote...

I have a B&K remote (re-badged MX 700) and I can't get it to learn all the commands from the Sony 995 Remote. I find it won't learn the number keys, play, pause and stop...

I'd be interested to know if you can program these into yours. I'm going to try programing another learning remote (with the Sony remote) and then tranfer that to the MX-700...Hope that works...
post #83 of 2230 Old 08-23-2005, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Ballew View Post

From what I understand, the only time "HDMI" will light up on the player is if the player recognizes the display device or preamp as an HDCP compliant device. Maybe the length of the cable run is the issue, or maybe the version of HDMI on the projector. I believe the changer is using 1.1

I have an HDMI cable arriving today and the changer arrives tomorrow, hopefully HDMI will light up. I'm using a Toshiba 34HFX84.

John McGee
post #84 of 2230 Old 08-23-2005, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

By "Auto load" in the menu do you mean "Auto Play"? This is the feature that does not seem to work. Disks still auto play even when this is turned off. but I found that you can press the Folder button while the Sony starts loading a movie, or even during a movie, and the 995 will load up the navigation list.

And as for losing dats input to a disk on the navagator, if you remove a disk and the do some function with the 995 that spins the carousel (like turning off the Sony), you lose the stored data about the disk
post #85 of 2230 Old 08-23-2005, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeligny View Post

Ok, there is an option AUTO-LOAD in the menu of this player. What does this option do?? Becuase the unit acts the same if it's on or off. I would really LOVE this thing NOT to load when it's powered on, since I always want to hit my folders first to see what I want to watch. This must be a bug...because the whole idea behind a megachanger is to be able to browse through titles and then pick one....specially when you turn on the unit this would be probably the highest probability of going to folder/browse mode, but Sony still insists on having it load a DVD even with AUTO-LOAD off?? If there's a firmware fix for this...please pass it on!

Other then that, I think the player works real nice. It's my first megachanger and I've always had high-quality single disc units, but just got tired of having DVD's all over the place. I have 180 DVD's now...so I have a little while to go for now. Picture quality is real nice, loading speeds are pretty good, ease of use is nice and it's pretty intuitive for a new person also. Since I have a very good programmable remote control, I've been using that instead of the native remote control. I use the MX-700 Universal Remote, which was probably one of the best purchases I've ever made! It's connected to my 52" Toshiba DLP TV and looks great. Slowly filling it up....

From the manual (p. 80): AUTO PLAY: Switches the Auto Play setting on or off. This function is useful when the player is connected to a timer (not supplied).
OFF: Switches this function off.
ON: Automatically starts playback when the player is turned on.

So it ought to work the way we want, and yet we have multiple confirmations that this setting does nothing. This "feature" was a problem on the 985 too, so it's nothing new, but still irritating. Has anyone called tried calling Sony? I may tonight just to see what the damn setting is supposed to do.
post #86 of 2230 Old 08-23-2005, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

I am on the phone with Sony as I read this. Their first "rep" knows nothing and I am asking to be transfered to a more senior person. If you want to call Sony too, try 1-800-222-7669.

I am trying to get info on the auto play feature and why mp3's on a DVD will not play. Also, is there a way to edit info that the 995 automatically inputs about a disk after you press load on the navigator.
post #87 of 2230 Old 08-23-2005, 07:47 AM

Quote:

I am on the phone with Sony as I read this. Their first "rep" knows nothing and I am asking to be transfered to a more senior person. If you want to call Sony too, try 1-800-222-7669.

I am trying to get info on the auto play feature and why mp3's on a DVD will not play. Also, is there a way to edit info that the 995 automatically inputs about a disk after you press load on the navigator.

I doubt that there's a way to edit auto-recognized discs, but let us know if there is. I couldn't find anything in the manual on inability to edit auto-filed discs.
post #88 of 2230 Old 08-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Sony support is no help. I finally got to secondary support in Florida. He said the auto play feature works and that my week old Sony needs to be shipped to Texas for repairs. I asked if he had a 995 to test he said no. I told him to send an e-mail or two to other support people to see if they have heard of this issue yet. He had not and it was not in their data base. That's why he said the 995 is broken. I told him to go find a retailer in Florida and test it. Imagine everyone sending their new 995's to Texas. Maybe they need to start getting more complaints.

He said the 995 will not play MP3's on DVD and there is no way to edit info loaded to the navigator foem a DVD.
post #89 of 2230 Old 08-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Hello - great thread. Questions:

How do I link up two of these players? Easy?

Will the Harmony 880 remote learn everything there is to do with the sony 995 remote?

How about selecting by number?

Thanks to anyone who can help. About to make my purchases.

thanks,

Gary
post #90 of 2230 Old 08-23-2005, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

One more question - anyone try playing a DVD "backup copy" from an original on DVD+R media? Also, I transfered some DVD material from my video camera to a DVD+R. Will these play?

thanks,

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer , Sony Dvp Ns710h B 1080p Upscaling Dvd Player Black , Sony , Sony Brand , Sony Corp , Sony Corporation , Sony Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page