post #91 of 2201 Old 08-23-2005, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykagan View Post

Hello - great thread. Questions:

How do I link up two of these players? Easy?

Will the Harmony 880 remote learn everything there is to do with the sony 995 remote?

How about selecting by number?

Thanks to anyone who can help. About to make my purchases.

thanks,

Gary

Can't link them up directly. Best you can do is rig up a HTPC with an IR blaster, but by then you're better off just getting the old 777. The navigation is very usable and more or less intuitive but it is not at all robust or scalable. If you want serious customization, you're looking at a much more expensive setup.

I don't have a Harmony, so I don't know - if it can learn individual buttons, then yes. There are a lot of buttons on the remote, but not too many essential "extra" buttons. Folder, sort, pgup, and pgdn are the only non-standard buttons I've been using a lot.

Select by number is available - it's either in this forum or the "Release Date" thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=549061 It's a long read, but the release date forum has a lot of your answers, as does the manual: http://www.sonystyle.com/intershopro.../DVPCX995V.pdf

Most recorded video DVDs seem to work well. Doesn't seem to recognize mp3 DVD's but that's more of a format issue than a media issue.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2201 Old 08-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I suggest you read the two threads on the 995. Most of your questions have been asked and amswered.
post #93 of 2201 Old 08-23-2005, 12:41 PM

RE: Why I tried HDMI vs Component

I was thinking that:

1). The PQ would be better since it stayed digital the whole time ( and could be sent at higher resolution)

2). Minor lip sync issues would disappear as the d/a a/d conversion was dropped.

So far, HDMI has done niether. I did tweak the TV for HDMI, and it might look slightly better ( Wishful thinking?) But Now the Cable looks over saturated.

Cheap HDMI cable?

DVD-HDMI- Sammy DLP
DVD/ Audio Fiber optic-Sony ES AVR ( Older unit w/o Component or HDMI for video)

Could DTS vs Dolby make a difference in lip sync?

There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.
post #94 of 2201 Old 08-23-2005, 01:40 PM

When I buy a foreign DVD I use DVD-Decrytper to remove the region codes so I can play it in any of my players. My Pioneer, unmodified XBOX and Cyberhome play these fine but when I try them in my Sony 995 it says "Can Not Play Due To Area Restrictions". None of my players are modified for Region Free.

DVD Decrypter says the disc is set to Region "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8" and has "No RCE Protection".

Anyone else had this problem?

-GK
post #95 of 2201 Old 08-23-2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post

RE: Why I tried HDMI vs Component

I was thinking that:

1). The PQ would be better since it stayed digital the whole time ( and could be sent at higher resolution)

2). Minor lip sync issues would disappear as the d/a a/d conversion was dropped.

So far, HDMI has done niether. I did tweak the TV for HDMI, and it might look slightly better ( Wishful thinking?) But Now the Cable looks over saturated.

Cheap HDMI cable?

DVD-HDMI- Sammy DLP
DVD/ Audio Fiber optic-Sony ES AVR ( Older unit w/o Component or HDMI for video)

Could DTS vs Dolby make a difference in lip sync?

It could be that the scaler in your TV is about the same quality as the scaler in the 995. All DVD content is 480i, so it's going to get scaled up (or "upconverted" in marketingspeak) at some point - HDMI should work better in theory because it stays digital longer, but in practice, with good component cables and a good scaler in the tv, it can be hard to see an improvement with HDMI. The "How much is that scaler in the window" sticky at the top of the DVD forum has a good discussion of this.
post #96 of 2201 Old 08-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Guru:

Try using AnyDVD by Slysoft. I use it with DVDShrink and Decrypter. They have a free two week trial.
post #97 of 2201 Old 08-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveybirdman View Post

Can't link them up directly. Best you can do is rig up a HTPC with an IR blaster, but by then you're better off just getting the old 777. The navigation is very usable and more or less intuitive but it is not at all robust or scalable. If you want serious customization, you're looking at a much more expensive setup.

Can I set the IR on each 995 to a different frequency so that my remote will allow me to play a DVD on 995(a) vs 995(b)? (Longshot)

I will be using a buffalo IR repeater system with emitters, but I fear that both 995's will turn on/off and react to the remote commands at the same time.

There has got to be a way to control multiple units separately.

Gary
post #98 of 2201 Old 08-23-2005, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

Guru:

Try using AnyDVD by Slysoft. I use it with DVDShrink and Decrypter. They have a free two week trial.

Thanks. Things seem to be working fine now. Its always something stupid. I am so used to playing everything on my other DVD players that I forgot some of these DVD's are PAL. My other players have no problem playing PAL apparently.

-GK
post #99 of 2201 Old 08-23-2005, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykagan View Post

Can I set the IR on each 995 to a different frequency so that my remote will allow me to play a DVD on 995(a) vs 995(b)? (Longshot)

I will be using a buffalo IR repeater system with emitters, but I fear that both 995's will turn on/off and react to the remote commands at the same time.

There has got to be a way to control multiple units separately.

Gary

Gary,

The remote has 3 different settings for multiple players. Page 16 of the manual shows how to change the settings.
post #100 of 2201 Old 08-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

That's good - then the trick would be to get the Harmony 880 remote (or whatever) to learn that and handle multiple 995's from one remote. Thank you for that information, I'll download the manual and read up on that.

gary
post #101 of 2201 Old 08-24-2005, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeligny View Post

I'm confused. I thought HDMI was just an easy way to have audio and video on one cable...not that it's going to be a better picture? Is there really a better picture quality when using an HDMI with a DVD? DVD is only 480 anyway...so how is using a HDMI cable make the picture quality look any better?

Well in theory a DLP display should show the best picture with an all digital connection.. no analog conversions anywhere in the chain. That is what I am shooting for.

Quote:

Greetings,

AB, is this the first HDMI equipped DVD player you have tried with the Optoma?

Regards,

Yes the is the first HDMI player I have ever tried with it. Was under the impression that HDMI and DVI were interchangeable formats. The Optoma even comes with a DVI/HDMI adapter.
post #102 of 2201 Old 08-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Ballew View Post

Yes the is the first HDMI player I have ever tried with it. Was under the impression that HDMI and DVI were interchangeable formats. The Optoma even comes with a DVI/HDMI adapter.

Greetings,

They are interchangeable with video. How long of a cable run are you using? I am running my Denon 3910 and Scienthfic Atlanta 8300HD DVR with a 23 foot RAM Rev 2 HDMI cable and a Gefen 2x1 HDMI switch. No problem with my Sony HS51 front projector.

I will be adding the 995 to the mix...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #103 of 2201 Old 08-24-2005, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidman View Post

Greetings,

They are interchangeable with video. How long of a cable run are you using? I am running my Denon 3910 and Scienthfic Atlanta 8300HD DVR with a 23 foot RAM Rev 2 HDMI cable and a Gefen 2x1 HDMI switch. No problem with my Sony HS51 front projector.

I will be adding the 995 to the mix...

Regards,

I have experimented with a run as short as 12 feet.
post #104 of 2201 Old 08-25-2005, 05:16 AM

I received the 995 yesterday and hooked it up via component and HDMI to HDMI cables to a Toshiba 34HFX84 tv. I turned on the 995 and the HDMI signal did not light up. I thought it might have something to do with the HDMI revision level of the TV, so I pulled the manual to try to find that but did not see it. I then remembered that the TV's input was on component so I switched the tv to HDMI and the handshake between the tv and 995 ocurred and lit up the HDMI. The HDMI cable I'm using is from Ram Electronics, the higher end Rev 2 version and is 10' long.

John McGee
post #105 of 2201 Old 08-25-2005, 07:13 AM

Do you notice a difference between component and HDMI

And What are your settings 480 p 720 1080?

There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.
post #106 of 2201 Old 08-25-2005, 07:27 AM

Quote:

Heywood,

I'd like to give you my opinion on that. I have had the 995 for a couple of weeks now. I like it, it's quieter than my Sony CD changer (400 disks) and the navigation system is pretty good (after the learning curve is completed).

As far as HDMI vs. Component. If I run the component output a 408i, I do find that the HDMI looks a little better (sharper) to me. If I run the component output at 480p, then I find there's no difference. I did have to adjust the TV setting to get them to look a like. The brightness level is different between the two (at least on a Sony 55WF). The picture quality is quite good.

I didn't realize I had so many DVD's. I'm considering another 995. I think I'll wait and try this one a bit more first (plus the prices are dropping on 995...)
post #107 of 2201 Old 08-25-2005, 08:34 AM

Quote:

I did watch a little bit of a movie with both component and HDMI but I cannot give a valid opinion at this time. The component input was calibrated with my old dvd player and I have not re-calibrated that input with the 995. It appeared to be less vibrant and darker compared to before but I know it just needs to be calibrated. The HDMI input #2 had not been used yet and needs to be calibrated, but was very bright and vibrant, so much so that it needs to be toned down.

I still need to play around with the settings on the 995 to see how they impact the picture as well. The settings I was using last night were 480P over component and 1080i over HDMI, that would be what the tv would scale it to.

I want to play around with the custom picture settings on the player and try to see if I notice a difference between the scaler in the 995 vs. the Toshiba.

John McGee
post #108 of 2201 Old 08-25-2005, 06:00 PM

A hint to those that are having trouble getting some "OOMPH" out of the picture. Factory settings have the sharpness turned off. After playing around with the "custom" picture settings in the menu, It still looked way soft. Found sharpness could not be adjusted in the custom menu. Turn sharpness on by following instructions on pg. 63 of instructions.
A big differance. Very nice pic now. I'll leave thorough impressions after I've run it, for a couple of days. Audio sounds great. -YMMV-
post #109 of 2201 Old 08-26-2005, 02:21 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

I received my 995 yesterday. I connected it via HDMI to my Sony HS51 projector via a Gefen HDMI switcher. The unit shares duties with my Denon DVD-3910 and a Scientific Atlanta HD8300 high def. DVR/cable box.

I had no problem getting the HDMI indicator to illuminate and a picture. Initial impressions of image quality prior to any adjustment was very good. I will calibrate and report back on that. I loaded up 30 discs ( 19 movies and 10 CD's ).

The auto load feature of course reared it's head. I did find that I was able to press Stop on the remote to stop the disc from loading ( even when the FBI warning was being displayed ). While the auto load should NOT happen once the feature has been disabled in the setup menu, it really is a very minor issue in my opinion ( especially since pressing stop on the remote remedies it ).

I used a keyboard to input disc information and of the discs I loaded only three had any information encoded and that was not complete info.

I was really annoyed that Sony chose to put a BIG white sticker on the face of the player. On top of that the sticker was not one that was not meant to be easily removed. I must have spent 45 minutes picking away at that thing until I had it down to the glue. After that a little rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball took care of that.

I don't find the time the unit takes to get a disc up on the screen after selection to be excessive. The unit is not what I would call quiet while it does so but that really is not an issue.

All in all I think that so far this was a worthy investment.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #110 of 2201 Old 08-26-2005, 09:50 AM

thx for the tip cubsfan !! I should explore those menus more to see what other gems I can find.
post #111 of 2201 Old 08-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

I have manually entered a few screen shots for the navigator. Which are supposed to be used as backgrounds when you stop a DVD. It does not seem to work. Anyone have better luck?
post #112 of 2201 Old 08-26-2005, 04:29 PM

Anyone had luck getting HDMI to work with a Samsung HLN series? I've tried everything imaginable, and the HDMI light never comes on. I know the cable I'm using is good, because it works fine with my Dish Network 942 STB. I called Sony support and the CSR told me that I was the first to report any such problem. Oddly, he didn't even bother to ask what model television I was using; seems that sort of information could be useful.
post #113 of 2201 Old 08-26-2005, 05:00 PM

NotQuite Dead, my TV requires that it be powered on first before any external equipment. This is emphasized in the manual. Sounds dumb but easy to try. Works on my 995.
post #114 of 2201 Old 08-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Not Quite Dead:

I assume you read the trouble shooting tips in the abck of the Sony Manual? Have you tried setting the audio to PCM in the Sony setup? Or using a digital audio cable?
post #115 of 2201 Old 08-26-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nite View Post

NotQuite Dead, my TV requires that it be powered on first before any external equipment. This is emphasized in the manual. Sounds dumb but easy to try. Works on my 995.

Tried turning on 995 before TV and TV before 995. Neither works.
post #116 of 2201 Old 08-26-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Not Quite Dead:

I assume you read the trouble shooting tips in the abck of the Sony Manual? Have you tried setting the audio to PCM in the Sony setup? Or using a digital audio cable?

I tried setting HDMI audio output to PCM, but I still get no HDMI connection.
post #117 of 2201 Old 08-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

I have manually entered a few screen shots for the navigator. Which are supposed to be used as backgrounds when you stop a DVD. It does not seem to work. Anyone have better luck?

Greetings,

I noticed this this morning as well. I notice that the ones that are loaded off of the disc by the player appear as the background in stop mode while the manual ones do not. I will play around with it later.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #118 of 2201 Old 08-27-2005, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

As for the backgrounds, I found a note in the manual ( Page 79) that basically says the image must be on the disk for it to show up as a background. Too bad. What's the purpose of manually adding a "jacket cover" then. It does not show up on the front page of the navagator. Seems that Sony could easily have added this in their sofware.
post #119 of 2201 Old 08-27-2005, 10:37 AM

One thing I have noticed with the 995. I didn't load 400 disks at once. I did it in steps, around 50 at a time. I kept the cases in the order I put the disks in so I could enter the information in later.

I have found that there have been a few times (after going through the loading process) that a few disks came up with a "?" next to the disk number.
These were disks that were loaded before and had the title entered. So they were recognized by the system in the previous load cycle.

You can't access the disk to re-enter the information. All you can do is have the system go through the load procedure again.

Well, I'm going to let Sony know this and see what they say. Sounds like a software bug....
post #120 of 2201 Old 08-27-2005, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

I had a few of those too. As I recall, you just manually set the Sony to play that slot number. Then after a few minutes, just press stop and go to the Navigator. Then the ? turns to the Video Icon and you can enter the info.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer , Sony Dvp Ns710h B 1080p Upscaling Dvd Player Black , Sony , Sony Brand , Sony Corp , Sony Corporation , Sony Electronics
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page