About one hour ago, I decided to try it one more time, & it worked!
Obviously I'm very happy, but that's so damn weird. The last thing I tried was unplugging the unit for approximately one minute. I did that about a week ago. I was very leery of doing this, because someone said that If I did so, I could possibly lose all the data/info I'd entered for the DVDs, music CDs, etc.
It didn't work.
I tried it at least 3 or 4 different times on 3-4 different days after that, (just trying to turn it on with the remote control) & it never worked, even if I held the remote directly in front of the receiver window.
The last time I tried (before today) was about 3 days ago.
Between then & today, I made ZERO changes.
But it seems to be working fine now, & just as importantly, all the data is still there!
I just tried again, I'm about 15 feet away in my kitchen, and it's working flawlessly.
Thanks to all of those who replied