Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2270 Old 10-19-2005, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called the Magnolia in Bellevue, WA today and was told "end of November". When I asked for a price he hesitated then said pointedly, "it LISTS for $1199", which I interpreted as implying that there would be room for negotiation.

End of November is disappointing (if correct).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2270 Old 10-19-2005, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

First i had a sim2 300xtra and i now have an optoma H79.
I dont have my 868i(59avi) anymore and have been using an S97 and with that if you are usimg RGB out and select enhanced, that sets Pc levels. standard sets to video levels. I dont remember the 868i being any different.
I have the 989i (79avi) on order now and will be pairing it up with ascaler with the Interlaced signal from HDMI.

Dustin
post #93 of 2270 Old 10-19-2005, 09:53 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin Mejia View Post

Beware there is a confussion lurking there. The 868avi doesn´t give you the option between RGB-Video and RGB-PC. Its HDMI "Enhanced Colour" option is simply RGB-Video as opposed to HDMI "Normal Colour" which is ycbcr. The format is the same: Video, not PC levels. The only change is that the 868avi takes charge of the unavoidable ycbcr to RGB conversion, saving the pj from doing that work later by itself (and my reasoning is that the 868avi seems to have much better computing power to have this done correctly than my pj).

http://www.fourcc.org/fccyvrgb.php
QUOTE:
Y is [16,235] (220 steps) and the valid ranges for Cr and Cb are [16,239] (235 steps) These are normalized ranges and when the data is used, 16 is added to Y and 128 is added from Cr and Cb to de-normalize them. The reason for this is that control and colorburst information is stored in the components along with the luminence and chromiance data which is why the full range of [0,255] is not used. There is no "rumor" about this being correct. It is a defined standard for YCrCb video. I wouldn't be surprised if certain PC programs are using a variant where the entire range of [0,255] is used but technically it is not YCrCb. If you use YCrCb for video purposes, its probably going to be CCIR 601 compliant. I don't know why you would use YCrCb for anything else as many rendering operations are extremely expensive to do in the non-linear YCrCb color space relative to the linear RGB color space.

thomas
post #94 of 2270 Old 10-19-2005, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

I don't know why you would use YCrCb for anything else as many rendering operations are extremely expensive to do in the non-linear YCrCb color space relative to the linear RGB color space.

Because DVDs are encoded in YCbCr. Deinterlacers and most scalers work in YCbCr. Although there's no actual rendering done because the video is already defined by the DVD. PCs are different. PC graphics never heard of YCbCr unless it has something to do with DVD playback and then it's converted to RGB for output.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #95 of 2270 Old 10-19-2005, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I don't believe the 59avi has an audio delay feature, does it (i.e., for adjusing lip sync in the display)? Does anyone know whether or not the 79avi does?
post #96 of 2270 Old 10-19-2005, 07:04 PM

Do any DVD players have an audio delay feature? I guess some must, especially if using the player to decode DD/DTS. I don't recall seeing this on any of the 5 or 6 DVD player's I've owned.

larry

Edit: My question answered. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=593510

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #97 of 2270 Old 10-19-2005, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't matter....just get yourself one of these for a little over $200.
http://www.felston.com/
post #98 of 2270 Old 10-19-2005, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

PooperScooper -
Completely off-topic now that the vodka is setting in.......

Leominster has some of the BEST off-road trails for motor-sickle ridin in the whole U.S. of A. - really an elite region of the country.

Sorry, for the digression but your location just brought back SWEET memories of past days of glory.
post #99 of 2270 Old 10-19-2005, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post

PooperScooper -
Completely off-topic now that the vodka is setting in.......

What are you doing outside of the Qualia thread anyway?!

post #100 of 2270 Old 10-19-2005, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

brt and umr are trying to convince me to buy a 59avi !

And now that I've been informed by the Sony people that their Blu-ray machines are to be postponed from their March 6 debut (as I originally recorded ON MY HOME THREAD ) to a "March/Aprilish" rollout to coincide with PlayStation stuff..................

Well I thought I would just come slummin over here to see what all the commotion is all about.................

And to ask Levesque if he also has an Algolith Dragonfly that he's runnin the 79avi into............ that he hasn't yet told us about.

P.S.
Plus, I'm still tryin to catch up to Rogo, and I ran out of things to say on the 006 thread this evening so, I'm broadening my horizons.
post #101 of 2270 Old 10-19-2005, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post

brt and umr are trying to convince me to buy a 59avi !

And now that I've been informed by the Sony people that their Blu-ray machines are to be postponed from their March 6 debut (as I originally recorded ON MY HOME THREAD ) to a "March/Aprilish" rollout to coincide with PlayStation stuff..................

Well I thought I would just come slummin over here to see what all the commotion is all about.................

And to ask Levesque if he also has an Algolith Dragonfly that he's runnin the 79avi into............ that he hasn't yet told us about.

P.S.
Plus, I'm still tryin to catch up to Rogo, and I ran out of things to say on the 006 thread this evening so, I'm broadening my horizons.

You Go Dude!

post #102 of 2270 Old 10-19-2005, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW, brt and umr are very smart individuals!

post #103 of 2270 Old 10-19-2005, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlieniceT View Post

I hope they don't gouge prices on the silver edition. I might get one of those.

Same price on both colors....

Chris Walker
post #104 of 2270 Old 10-20-2005, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

No lie. UMR calibrated my Optoma H78DC3 a month or so ago. I only wish I calibrated it with my 59AVI instead of my S97. I may have to get him back up when I get my 79AVI. I'll be moving my 59 back down with the 56TXI & Pioneer 5050 Plasma in the Den.

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #105 of 2270 Old 10-20-2005, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Patrick,
I'm shootin you a PM now(in case you don't get the alert from the forum- which doesn't always work for me.....I think it's an Artwood conspiracy)
post #106 of 2270 Old 10-20-2005, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

YGPM back.

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #107 of 2270 Old 10-20-2005, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

We're not worthy...

post #108 of 2270 Old 10-21-2005, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandley View Post

First i had a sim2 300xtra and i now have an optoma H79.
I dont have my 868i(59avi) anymore and have been using an S97 and with that if you are usimg RGB out and select enhanced, that sets Pc levels. standard sets to video levels. I dont remember the 868i being any different.
I have the 989i (79avi) on order now and will be pairing it up with ascaler with the Interlaced signal from HDMI.

I am using HDMI out, and my FP tells me exactly what kind of signal it is receiving. If I use HDMI Enhanced Colour, the FP recognizes the signal as RGB-Video (NOT RGB-PC!). If it were RGB-PC, there would be no wtw or btb, but certainly there is.

Notice I am not using the HDMI Enhanced Memory setting. As you know, the preset memories settings are "hidden" and can´t be edited. I am using the Enhanced Colour option with Memory 1 (IRE 7.5, White Level 2 notches left: That gives the wider dynamic range). As somebody stated long ago in the DV-79 thread, even if IRE has nothing to do with Digital levels, for some reason the IRE 7.5 seems to output greater dynamic range than IRE O through the this machine´s HDMI output).
post #109 of 2270 Old 10-21-2005, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin Mejia View Post

I am using HDMI out, and my FP tells me exactly what kind of signal it is receiving. If I use HDMI Enhanced Colour, the FP recognizes the signal as RGB-Video (NOT RGB-PC!). If it were RGB-PC, there would be no wtw or btb, but certainly there is.

Notice I am not using the HDMI Enhanced Memory setting. As you know, the preset memories settings are "hidden" and can´t be edited. I am using the Enhanced Colour option with Memory 1 (IRE 7.5, White Level 2 notches left: That gives the wider dynamic range). As somebody stated long ago in the DV-79 thread, even if IRE has nothing to do with Digital levels, for some reason the IRE 7.5 seems to output greater dynamic range than IRE O through the this machine´s HDMI output).

That's right, IRE shouldn't be an option for digital video data. Sending the decoded MPEG data that's on the disc, possibly deinterlaced and scaled is all that's necessary. One of the settings, maybe both, are modifying the data that was put on the the DVD - the antithesis of why we spend the $$$ and geek out calibratiing and such trying to display what is actually on the DVD as it was intended to be seen.

larry

post #110 of 2270 Old 10-21-2005, 05:12 PM

I have a toshiba 52hm95 dlp tv. and I am looking for a great dvd player for it. I dont believe that this tv has the best upscaler so I will depend on the upscaler on the dvd player. I want the 79 since the 59 is no longer carried in magnolia in my best buy I was wondering if I should go with the 79avi. I have a samsung HD850 and I think it sucks. I can get the 59avi transfered from another store but I was wondering if I should wait for the 79 to come in? also whats the date when these are coming in. My magnolia just grand opened today and I love working there.
post #111 of 2270 Old 10-21-2005, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
cubenruben: I think one can get some great deals on 59avi's now (I just did, at my friendly Magnolia), and I believe the improvements given by the 79avi are modest.
post #112 of 2270 Old 10-21-2005, 07:23 PM

I am an employee there so I dopubt it that cost went down alot. but I will try to get one from another store if I have to. SO what would you recommend for upconversion? dvd player or my TV?
post #113 of 2270 Old 10-22-2005, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Try both and see what looks the best. Usually, it's the player though.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #114 of 2270 Old 10-22-2005, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Home cinema choice a UK home theatre mag has just done a review of the the 989avi (79avi). and it scored 5 stars across the board out of five.

For video quote "in action in the upscaled mode(i found 720p to work best with my test rig) the 989 is every bit as accomplished as hoped. Its greatest achievement is its breath taking clarity, based around two key components: Fine detail response and suppression of video noise.
The 989 has stunning amounts of texture, picking up say, weaves in an actors suits that i dont ever recall seeing before. Whats more, the detailing carries over into dark picture areas, and helps paint a solid three dimemsional world that looks better the bigger screen you feed it into too.
With regards to noise suppression the 989 delivers edges that are free of haloes, ghosting, shimmering or jaggedness; practically no dot crawl and no flickering from any electrical interference.
The 989s colour response is also outstanding. the vividness of tones go with class leading colour graduations and some of the most authentic tones in the business - all with barly a trace of chroma noise. Motion meanwhile was smooth and clear throuout my evalution."

and sound quality

"sound quality is very good too. movie soundtracks are deliverd with precision and sterling dynamics but its with SACD and DVD-A and humble CD playback that the 989 shines through. the expressiveness of its upper frequencys screams Fidelity with every note; the creation of a 5.1 channel soundstage is achieved with seamless and gorgeous precision, bass is rich rounded but utterly controlled and the mid-range is perfecrly balanced. I got best results from the i-link port, but even switching to the standard phono line outs failed to dint my enthusiasm.
Audio jitter measures an excellent 190ps."

Dustin
post #115 of 2270 Old 10-22-2005, 03:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Quote:

Home cinema choice a UK home theatre mag has just done a review of the the 989avi (79avi). and it scored 5 stars across the board out of five.

For video quote "in action in the upscaled mode(i found 720p to work best with my test rig) the 989 is every bit as accomplished as hoped. Its greatest achievement is its breath taking clarity, based around two key components: Fine detail response and suppression of video noise.
The 989 has stunning amounts of texture, picking up say, weaves in an actors suits that i dont ever recall seeing before. Whats more, the detailing carries over into dark picture areas, and helps paint a solid three dimemsional world that looks better the bigger screen you feed it into too.
With regards to noise suppression the 989 delivers edges that are free of haloes, ghosting, shimmering or jaggedness; practically no dot crawl and no flickering from any electrical interference.
The 989s colour response is also outstanding. the vividness of tones go with class leading colour graduations and some of the most authentic tones in the business - all with barly a trace of chroma noise. Motion meanwhile was smooth and clear throuout my evalution."

and sound quality

"sound quality is very good too. movie soundtracks are deliverd with precision and sterling dynamics but its with SACD and DVD-A and humble CD playback that the 989 shines through. the expressiveness of its upper frequencys screams Fidelity with every note; the creation of a 5.1 channel soundstage is achieved with seamless and gorgeous precision, bass is rich rounded but utterly controlled and the mid-range is perfecrly balanced. I got best results from the i-link port, but even switching to the standard phono line outs failed to dint my enthusiasm.
Audio jitter measures an excellent 190ps."

Did they make any comparisons to the 59AVi ?

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #116 of 2270 Old 10-22-2005, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

No they did not, which is a shame as i was hoping for an A/B comparison.

Dustin
post #117 of 2270 Old 10-22-2005, 04:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Quote:

No they did not, which is a shame as i was hoping for an A/B comparison.

That would have been very valuable...

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #118 of 2270 Old 10-22-2005, 05:42 PM

A friend and I were checking-out A/V goodies today and we were quite surprised to see the DV-79AVi was in stock; we weren't expecting it in Canada till November or December. I rushed over to my preferred Pio retailer and ordered one along with a 74 receiver. I can't wait to hook these babies up.
post #119 of 2270 Old 10-22-2005, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
subversive,
Please , don`t forget to let us know what you think of them !!
Are you getting a "silver" 79AVi ?
Good luck !
Gary
post #120 of 2270 Old 10-23-2005, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Sweet.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page