Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 2270 Old 03-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone tell me what the internal bass management and cross over settings are for the 79AVi? I have one on order, and I'm wondering if I still need to run the SACD analog inputs through my ICBM, or if the 79 has adequate internal settings to go direct to my pre/pro. Actually a fixed 80 hz cross over would do me just fine, as I have not found a benefit to separate cross over settings for different speakers.

I do realize this info might be here SOMEWHERE in this 50+ page thread, but I was hoping someone could shoot me a simple answer quicker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2270 Old 03-04-2006, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

80 hz fixed. SACD-DSD analog out uses BM but not Time Alignment (DVD-A uses both).

"We're all bozos on this bus" - F.T.

post #1623 of 2270 Old 03-06-2006, 06:52 AM
PDP

Guys: wondering if anyone has a simple fix for me - clearly I am missing a set-up feature (probably a basisc one too), but cannot get it right despite multiple passes through the manual.

When playing SACD, I am getting no (zero) sound through the sub. All analog outs connected, 79avi set to 5.1 out, etc. If I play through digital out with a redbook or hybrid SACD, sub functions perfectly. Any ideas? Connecting to a Lexicon RV-8 if that matters.

Thanks.
post #1624 of 2270 Old 03-06-2006, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Pretty sure you do NOT want it set to 5.1. You want multichannel but not 5.1 if I remember correctly. Try playing with setup more.
post #1625 of 2270 Old 03-06-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDP View Post

When playing SACD, I am getting no (zero) sound through the sub. All analog outs connected, 79avi set to 5.1 out, etc. If I play through digital out with a redbook or hybrid SACD, sub functions perfectly. Any ideas? Connecting to a Lexicon RV-8 if that matters.

When you are using the digital out, it is your receiver that is doing the cross-over work. When using the analog it has to be the 79. So make sure your speakers are set to "Small" to enable the cross-overs.
post #1626 of 2270 Old 03-06-2006, 11:36 AM
PDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injector View Post

When you are using the digital out, it is your receiver that is doing the cross-over work. When using the analog it has to be the 79. So make sure your speakers are set to "Small" to enable the cross-overs.

Yep, I understand that the receiver is doing the processing when the digital out is in use. There is a "small" or "large" setting in the 79avi, which seems to have no effect (no sub involvement from the analog out with either setting). I can tweak the crossovers in the Lexicon - but it should have no impact one way or the other when I am merely passing-thru an analog signal, right? (if I do not use analog passthrough, the Lex does an A/D/A conversion, and I can output any of the various Lexicon processing options - and the sub works. I am looking for a pure analog passthrough though). Still stumped. Thanks,

Paul
post #1627 of 2270 Old 03-06-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDP View Post

Still stumped. Thanks,

Paul

Page 74 in manual. Try that. Or make sure you actually have the sub channel plugged in.
post #1628 of 2270 Old 03-08-2006, 09:48 AM

Hi,
I like to update my Pioneer DV-989 AVI-S (DV-79 avi in US),
where I can find the new firmware for this player and the istructions ?
Thank's
Fausto
Italy
post #1629 of 2270 Old 03-08-2006, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
What new firmware? Typically Pioneer (at least here in the US) doesn't provide upgrades to be installed by the user.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #1630 of 2270 Old 03-08-2006, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

What new firmware? Typically Pioneer (at least here in the US) doesn't provide upgrades to be installed by the user.

larry

That's what I thought too. While a tech directly from Pio (that is, not an authorized repair shop), was upgrading the FW on my Elite Pio Plasma, the update somehow fried the video board which then required replacement. I probably would've been screwed if I did that myself.
post #1631 of 2270 Old 03-12-2006, 04:41 AM

Hi everybody, in regard to Kriss Deering's review i think i found something.
In the much talked Gladiator scene in chapter 12 where flaws of the player were suspected and the notion to setting the progressive motion to slow were recommended; i think it may have been nothing at all, so here it goes:
when fast forwarding directly to chapter 12 you will see some artifacts on the eagle no matter if you have your progressive settings to med or slow. BUT if you rewind to approximately 59.40 sec which is about 10 sec before chapter 12 begins you will see no artifacts at all maybe the player needs time to "lock" on or whatever, same thing with the rooftops scene but this time fast forward to 64.00 sec and not after and wait until the rooftops scene comes after about a min or so and you will see no artifacts at all but if you fast forward to about 64.30 and wait for the rooftops you will see the zebra pattern. This scene needs to be viewed at 64.00sec because it needs time to lock on the very busy information in this scene.
So if you were to view this film from the beginning, you will see absolutely nothing of the artefacts mentioned even if you set your progressive motion to slow or med. But this scene got famous by people fast forwarding direcly to that scene and thus not giving the player the time to lock on thus producing all these artefacts. And my player is set to 720p.
What do you think guys?
Thanks
post #1632 of 2270 Old 03-12-2006, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmonte View Post

Hi everybody, in regard to Kriss Deering's review i think i found something.
In the much talked Gladiator scene in chapter 12 where flaws of the player were suspected and the notion to setting the progressive motion to slow were recommended; i think it may have been nothing at all, so here it goes:
when fast forwarding directly to chapter 12 you will see some artifacts on the eagle no matter if you have your progressive settings to med or slow. BUT if you rewind to approximately 59.40 sec which is about 10 sec before chapter 12 begins you will see no artifacts at all maybe the player needs time to "lock" on or whatever, same thing with the rooftops scene but this time fast forward to 64.00 sec and not after and wait until the rooftops scene comes after about a min or so and you will see no artifacts at all but if you fast forward to about 64.30 and wait for the rooftops you will see the zebra pattern. This scene needs to be viewed at 64.00sec because it needs time to lock on the very busy information in this scene.
So if you were to view this film from the beginning, you will see absolutely nothing of the artefacts mentioned even if you set your progressive motion to slow or med. But this scene got famous by people fast forwarding direcly to that scene and thus not giving the player the time to lock on thus producing all these artefacts. And my player is set to 720p.
What do you think guys?
Thanks

I think you are watching the wrong scene. It's not the eagle, it's the scene right after Caesar plays with the figurines in the arena, about 62 minutes from the start. Look at the righ bottom corner and you will see a "zebra" artifact on the top of the first roof. With progressive motion to anything but slow you will see it. I have 4 DVD players, one of them an expensive Sony, and I see the same artifact with all of them. I bet the 59 would show the same and so far nobody has said the contrary . In pause mode or fast forward the artifact is there even with progressive motion set to slow and it makes no difference if I start watching 5 minutes or 10 seconds earlier.

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #1633 of 2270 Old 03-12-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I think you are watching the wrong scene. It's not the eagle, it's the scene right after Caesar plays with the figurines in the arena, about 62 minutes from the start. Look at the righ bottom corner and you will see a "zebra" artifact on the top of the first roof. With progressive motion to anything but slow you will see it. I have 4 DVD players, one of them an expensive Sony, and I see the same artifact with all of them. I bet the 59 would show the same and so far nobody has said the contrary . In pause mode or fast forward the artifact is there even with progressive motion set to slow and it makes no difference if I start watching 5 minutes or 10 seconds earlier.

Sergio

Hi slimoli, sorry i forgot to say it was the extended special edition, that's why maybe my timing was off. But it is the correct scene, the view from the top.
I will get the normal edition maybe tomorrow and see if it gives me the same result.
Thanks
post #1634 of 2270 Old 03-12-2006, 03:09 PM

I do see the zebra pattern if i go directly to that scene, it is very clear.
But if i do what i stated above it is gone completely, the difference is night and day.
I wish if some people could try it, and see if they notice the difference.
Thanks.
post #1635 of 2270 Old 03-12-2006, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Donmonte

I tried. No difference stopping 5 seconds or 3 minutes before the rooftop scene. Unless progress motion is in the lowest position the zebra is there.

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #1636 of 2270 Old 03-12-2006, 05:02 PM

Hi slimoli, i will try the the normal version maybe it is different. There is a member at avforums that tried it and confirmed that it worked, but he didn't mention which version of the movie he had.
Regards.
post #1637 of 2270 Old 03-13-2006, 02:02 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi slimoli, i will try the the normal version maybe it is different. There is a member at avforums that tried it and confirmed that it worked, but he didn't mention which version of the movie he had.
Regards.

Hi that member was me. I live in Australia and viewed it on the special edition version.
This is on a PAL DVD which I am told by everyone down under is far superior format to the NTSC DVD which you guys have over there.
post #1638 of 2270 Old 03-13-2006, 10:08 AM

I've seen an earlier post on this problem concerning the power cord not securely staying put, mine has not come out but does not feel snug when plugged in. Is this not a commom problem?Any solutions short of opening up my player and replacing the plug in would be appreciated. Other than that I love this player.
Regards
Al
post #1639 of 2270 Old 03-13-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Kuenster View Post

I've seen an earlier post on this problem concerning the power cord not securely staying put, mine has not come out but does not feel snug when plugged in. Is this not a commom problem?Any solutions short of opening up my player and replacing the plug in would be appreciated. Other than that I love this player.

Indeed, mine is also very loose. It won't fall out as the player is located, but I still don't like it.

What is at fault here, the cord or the jack on the player? I don't have any other 2 prong cables with which to test.
post #1640 of 2270 Old 03-13-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldonandy View Post

I know this thread has moved into the technical direction and some interesting information is being exchanged. For those interested, I found a recent "real world" review from "What Hifi", a British magazine sold at Barnes and Noble. I take ALL reviews/opinions with a grain of salt but if you read "What Hifi" regularly, they will definately rip a product so in terms of credibility, I don't know what else to say. They did a group test with the Denon 2910, Marantz 7600, Arcam DV78, Yamaha 2500 and the Pioneer 79 and declared the Pioneer the best of the group. Not for audio, however, but video-wise they felt it was the best in the class and will be pitting it against pricier units in their next magazine. They like the Denon and the Yamaha to some degree, they felt the Marantz had a soft picture. Again, far from the kind of technicality many are interested in here but nevertheless, there may be some people buzzing around that may value a more simplified analysis of where this player stands in a "normal" viewing scenario, check it out if you get a chance.

I am a relative newbie in all of this however does a PAL DVD produce the same effects as the NTSC ones you guys in the US use.
You see in Australia we use the PAL system as does Europe. Therefore from
my observations the 989 does not display any of the flaws you guys are going on and on about.
I recently purchased my 989 and have played 20 DVD's on it to date including that Gladiator scene. And I could not see anything you describe on my 120" diagnol screen.
post #1641 of 2270 Old 03-14-2006, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by con219 View Post

I am a relative newbie in all of this however does a PAL DVD produce the same effects as the NTSC ones you guys in the US use.
You see in Australia we use the PAL system as does Europe. Therefore from
my observations the 989 does not display any of the flaws you guys are going on and on about.
I recently purchased my 989 and have played 20 DVD's on it to date including that Gladiator scene. And I could not see anything you describe on my 120" diagnol screen.

Hi con219, i tried yesterday that same scene with gladiator the normal edition and the artifacts were there, they didn't go away.
At least it feels good to know there's the extended edition, where there is none of the issues of the original and i can keep my progressive motion to medium.
Regards.
post #1642 of 2270 Old 03-14-2006, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi con219, i tried yesterday that same scene with gladiator the normal edition and the artifacts were there, they didn't go away.
At least it feels good to know there's the extended edition, where there is none of the issues of the original and i can keep my progressive motion to medium.
Regards.

So it looks like in this case, at least, that the source material was to blame for the artifacts. Interesting - good detective work with the 2 editions.
post #1643 of 2270 Old 03-14-2006, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Ahhh, but then why is the source material blamed if some DVD players can play that scene normally? I.e., the 5910.

I suppose it could be sort of like a "torture test", where only the best deinterlacers/processors can deal with whatever is going on there.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #1644 of 2270 Old 03-14-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown View Post

Ahhh, but then why is the source material blamed if some DVD players can play that scene normally? I.e., the 5910.

I suppose it could be sort of like a "torture test", where only the best deinterlacers/processors can deal with whatever is going on there.

I suppose it is the case but then when you pay what you do for the 5910
here in Australia you might as well buy the movie theatre.
post #1645 of 2270 Old 03-14-2006, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #1646 of 2270 Old 03-15-2006, 03:20 AM

I´m guessing to buy the PIO 79AVI or the Sony NS9100ES. So would like to know if the 79AVI can be turned to region free and how can make this?

I bought the Denon 3910 and i´m very desapointed with it, because it fails to load some Original CDDA (redbook) and occurs in others 3910, so i think it is a general issue of 3910 units
post #1647 of 2270 Old 03-15-2006, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Pedro,
Check here: http://www.jvbdigital.com

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #1648 of 2270 Old 03-15-2006, 06:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro1985 View Post

I´m guessing to buy the PIO 79AVI or the Sony NS9100ES. So would like to know if the 79AVI can be turned to region free and how can make this?

I recommend and used HKFlix for my modification a couple of weeks ago. After one of my JVB-modified players failed and they refused to answer any emails, I decided to take my business elsewhere for future mods. The fact that HKFlix is also based out of Miami (which cuts down on shipping time for us East Coast users) didn't hurt either.

For what it's worth, the region-free 989AVi Pronto hack on the net does NOT work for the 79AVi, so don't waste your time with that.

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate
My SACD Collection | My DVD-A Collection
post #1649 of 2270 Old 03-16-2006, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I thought I would post my settings on my 79avi to see what people think, any thoughts would be helpful. I am connected via component directly to a Panasonic 42PWD6 plasma (no DVI blade). I set the Detail one click from the left as Rick Green had suggested, although his setting was HDMI Detail not sure if it would be the same with component. I calibrated the settings on my plasma with DVE with the below settings on the 79avi.

Prog. Motion: Slowest Setting
Pure Cinema: Auto2
YNR: Off
CNR: Off
Sharpness High: Two Clicks from Soft
Sharpness Mid: Two Clicks from soft
Detail: One Click from Left
White Level: Half Way
Black Level: Half Way
Black Set-up 7.5
Gamma: Half Way
Hue: Half Way
Chroma Level: Minimum
Chroma Delay: Minimum

It would be interesting if what Rick Green has found would change the outcome of the Secrets tests. The changing of Progressive Motion to the slowest setting helped with one of the first issues that Kris found maybe Rick's find will also be helpful. It just shows that sometimes tweaking the settings on a specfic component can be very helpful. I do not recall who found the Progressive Motion fix (Dale Adams maybe?) but if that person was not fooling around with settings it would have never been discovered.

Bill

Hi Bill

A rather late response but it was a guy called Dustin Alias Gandley from the UK
He was the one who informed Kris of the setting.
post #1650 of 2270 Old 03-16-2006, 05:40 AM

Quote:

Regards.

Hi Donmonte

Where are you from? US or UK.
What setup have you got at the moment.
Are you running the 989 on component or HDMI.
What are your settings?
I haven't really tweaked a lot of the settings. I didn't use DVE DVD to adjust blacks
etc. I am projecting onto 120" screen from PJTX100 via HDMI using a DVI adaptor. Believe me everyone who was watched DVD's on my system is simply impressed with the clarity and richness of the images I am getting.
Furthermore I have the DVD hooked up via ilink to my Pio VSX AX4avi (74 in US)
and the sound coming out of my 7.1 system is just awesome.
I really am surprised that the Pio is compared by even the knowlegable Kris Deering to the MEGA expensive DENON 5910. This unit is over three times the cost of the 989 where I come from. And yes I would expect it to be perfect but it isn't.
I am an Forensic Auditor by trade and one basic rule of life is that when you make comparisons you compare Green APPLES with green APPLES. The 5910 is a very expensive red variety and should not as is the case in the threads be treated as an "equal for comparison" to the 989.
If it (989) performed to the greatness of the 5910 then most of us would not be participating in this forum because it simply would not as with the 5910 be within our economic means.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page