Emergency Upscaling DVD Recomendation System - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 122 Old 01-26-2006, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 391
I think the 90 is a multi disc player. Both have same video quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 122 Old 01-26-2006, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the response, but most of the specs I've seen show that it is a 1 disc machine. I can't really see any differences between the 70 and 90. I must be missing something....

Rod W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I think the 90 is a multi disc player. Both have same video quality.

post #63 of 122 Old 01-27-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod W View Post

There are two under $200 Sony models being talked about here. One has the number 90 in it, the other has the number 70 in it. Does anyone know the difference between the two?

Thanks,

Rod W.

The DVP-NS90V has SACD playback. The DVP-NS70H does not.

Doug
post #64 of 122 Old 01-27-2006, 08:02 AM

Thanks Doug,

I think this means the 90 for me.

Or should I wait for the upcoming models that can do 480i over HDMI? This model will still do 480i over component, right?

I was switching between 480i and 480p on my current Sony (model number escapes me now...I think it has 575 in it) last night and trying to see the difference on my Pio 5060 plasma. It's connected via component. I didn't really see a difference. In other threads they're saying they are getting the best picture on the 5060 using 480i and using the Pio's internal scaler/deinterlacer. The 90 will allow me to try "upscaling" to see if that helps, and at the very least the HDMI connection should improve things a bit, right?

Thanks,

Rod W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas_B View Post

The DVP-NS90V has SACD playback. The DVP-NS70H does not.

Doug

post #65 of 122 Old 02-16-2006, 04:56 PM

Liked: 11
I have been reading all the answers to the converting on component. So here is my question, I also like many have a Mits ws65908 and the only two settings are 480 and 960, If I was to purchase one of the dvd players, what would you suggest and what would I set the tv input to-480 or 960, along with the player to get the best picture? Thanks for all the great advice.
post #66 of 122 Old 02-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I own a LGDVB418, an LDA511, just got a DVD-HD850 last night and applied the HDCP hack-bty, if ya'll want one act now as they are disappearing faster than popsicles on a hot summer day. I use the 2 LG's for upscaleing xvid/divx anime at 1080I that I download, the 850 for watching R1 dvds at 1080I so I don't have to rip them and remove the decess and macrovision so I can use them on the LG's. I was thinking about the Neo Digits but read how it really does the "jaggies" on anime and so crossed it off my list, sides it costs $100 more than the 850 I got.
post #67 of 122 Old 03-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I've spent the past two days searching for an answer to the following puzzle, but have not seen a clear statement anywhere yet that I can understand.

Situation: I am buying an HDCP-compliant upconverting DVD player with both component and HDMI ports. I'm also buying an HDCP-compliant HDTV with both component and HDMI ports. In my DVD movie collection I have about 2 dozen non-copy-protected DVD movies (copied from my originals of the kid's movies, e.g. Shrek, Nemo, etc.).

Now for the puzzle: In order for my DVD player to correctly upconvert these unprotected DVDs to say 720p or 1080i, can I simply use an HDMI-to-HDMI connection or must I use the component cables? I don't want to purchase two types of expensive cables if just one type will do the job for me.

Perhaps the issue is best stated as:

Copy protected DVDs = use HDMI for upconverting to 720p, 1080i?
Non-copy protected DVDs = use (fill in the blank) for upconverting to 720p, 1080i?

Clearly I'm confused about how HDCP/HDMI/DVI/component cabling comes into play with upconverting non-protected DVD material.

Thanks for any help with this.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #68 of 122 Old 03-09-2006, 10:44 PM

Sgooter,

You should be fine with just HDMI. If the DVD player and TV are both HDCP-compliant, they will talk with each other no matter the discs are copy-protected or not. The copy protection on DVD discs (CSS, Macrovision or whatever) does not control HDCP.

The copy-protection requirement for DVD players are:
* Analog output must have Macrovision
* HDMI output must have HDCP
* No Hi-def output via analog allowed

In your case since the HDMI output has HDCP, it will work with backup DVD discs and encrypt them. The TV will decrypt and show the video.
post #69 of 122 Old 03-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Thanks very much Jeff.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #70 of 122 Old 03-27-2006, 05:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
What about getting one of the new HD-DVD or Bluray players and letting it do the upscaling?

This would let you do full hi def as well as a bonus, no?
post #71 of 122 Old 03-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=Jeffhdz]Sgooter,

You should be fine with just HDMI. If the DVD player and TV are both HDCP-compliant, they will talk with each other no matter the discs are copy-protected or not. The copy protection on DVD discs (CSS, Macrovision or whatever) does not control HDCP.

The copy-protection requirement for DVD players are:
* Analog output must have Macrovision
* HDMI output must have HDCP
* No Hi-def output via analog allowed

In your case since the HDMI output has HDCP, it will work with backup DVD discs and encrypt them. The TV will decrypt and show the video. Hidef output through analog is not allowed? Not always true, as I'm sure ya'll know about numerous hacks that can be applied to various upscaleing players that will allow them to output either 720P or 1080I through the componet outputs.
post #72 of 122 Old 04-07-2006, 03:21 PM

I finally went out today and got and HDMI cable for my DVP-NS70H DVD player and I was wondering do I still need my component cables connected? How do I know if my DVD player is upscaling just by PQ. I was hoping there was something in the DVD player that could tell me it was upscaling like there is with the progressive. I have HDMI setting on AUTO in the Custom menu is that all I have to do.
post #73 of 122 Old 04-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miester View Post

I finally went out today and got and HDMI cable for my DVP-NS70H DVD player and I was wondering do I still need my component cables connected? How do I know if my DVD player is upscaling just by PQ. I was hoping there was something in the DVD player that could tell me it was upscaling like there is with the progressive. I have HDMI setting on AUTO in the Custom menu is that all I have to do.

The AUTO setting on pg 62 of your manual makes it output the highest accepted by your tv...this may not always look the best, so experiment. It looks like you can pick from 480p, 720p and 1080i. Most of us have best results when matching with the TV's native resolution which in your case is 720p. You should also try to use YCbCr over HDMI instead of RGB, since that appears to be a settable option and should result in highest quality possible.
Once the HDMI is connected, you don't need the component cables connected any longer and should remove them.

Pierre

"...I probably won't even be allowed in your little man room anyway!"

"It's a man cave!"
post #74 of 122 Old 04-11-2006, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Not included in the list is the new Sony NS75H which fixes the shifting issue flaw the NS70H had. It also is a bit brighter while playing DVD's.
post #75 of 122 Old 04-11-2006, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

miester -- It would depend on what your display considers the highest priority. To be on the safe side, disconnect your component cables. Before you do, however, make sure that your DVD player is set to output over the HDMI connection (otherwise you will get a blank screen.

Your display should tell you what input is active.

Rod W -- You will not get 480i over the HDMI output, that is prohibited by the HDMI/DVI specifications. To get 480i over HDMI/DVI connections you will need the SDI modification to your DVD player (which voids your warranty). Your best bet (for the digital HDMI/DVI connection) is 480p anyway, although you should try 720p and 1080i to make sure.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #76 of 122 Old 04-13-2006, 09:40 PM

I figured this problem out on my own boy I was stupid. I just went through the inputs on the TV and finally got it. Boy do I feel dumb I used Dark Rain's settings for the Sony DVP-NS775V w/component out DVD player even though I'm using and HDMI connection this seems to work out very good. Watched Black Hawk Down this morning( I work nights) and was very impressed even my wife was amazed and she got upset when I told her how much I paid for the cable $91.00 CAN. Watch the The Fast and the Furious later on that night and the picture was good but not as defined as BHD. Do some DVDS upconvert better than others? As far as this shift problem is concerned I was a bit disappointed but the price $149 CAN and the quality of the picture it's no big deal for me. I just think people are a bit nit picky even though I find myself doing that some times.
post #77 of 122 Old 04-14-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post

Hidef output through analog is not allowed? Not always true, as I'm sure ya'll know about numerous hacks that can be applied to various upscaleing players that will allow them to output either 720P or 1080I through the componet outputs.

Not allowed does not mean it does not exist. There is a reason why the way to enable upscaling via component is called "hacks".
post #78 of 122 Old 04-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Oh I knew that-that's why both my LG players are hacked to upscale through the componet outputs.
post #79 of 122 Old 04-17-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Any chance we the component upconversion list on the first page updated?
I was looking for the Samsung HD850 at retail (BB, CC) and they don't carry them around here anymore.

Thanks
post #80 of 122 Old 04-17-2006, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

It's been replaced by the non hackable (as far as I know) DVD-HD860.
post #81 of 122 Old 04-18-2006, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.
I bought the 860 and tried the hack listed for the 850 and that didn't work.

Trying to find/buy a new DVD that upconverts thru component and plays DIVX or whatever those video's from the web are.

I mean worst case, I can get an HDMI switcher, but if I can avoid that, that would be a plus.
post #82 of 122 Old 04-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqwertyi View Post

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.
I bought the 860 and tried the hack listed for the 850 and that didn't work.

Trying to find/buy a new DVD that upconverts thru component and plays DIVX or whatever those video's from the web are.

I mean worst case, I can get an HDMI switcher, but if I can avoid that, that would be a plus.

Well-you can always get an LDA511-if you look here ya'll can find a thread on hacking LDA511's to upscale through the componet outputs.
post #83 of 122 Old 06-24-2006, 02:40 PM

I think HDMI can send 480i but not via DVI.

Rod W -- You will not get 480i over the HDMI output, that is prohibited by the HDMI/DVI specifications. To get 480i over HDMI/DVI connections you will need the SDI modification to your DVD player (which voids your warranty). Your best bet (for the digital HDMI/DVI connection) is 480p anyway, although you should try 720p and 1080i to make sure.[/quote]
post #84 of 122 Old 07-08-2006, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Bytehoven -- It looks like you need to open another catagory, "Even Lower Budget" . There are a number of upconverting players out now post 6/1/2006) that are under $150, MSRP. The most talked about, in the AVS threads, are the new Oppo 970H, Samsung's, Sony's (NS75H & NC85H), and Toshiba's (under $100).

Most, if not all, of these stricly adhere to the HDMI rules and are not hackable to provide upscaling over their component outputs, IIRC. The Sony's (I have the NS75H) have the latest design Sony chips, which fix the problems that the older NS70H and NC80H (5-disc changer version) had. The Sony's are Region 1 and NTSC only (the US versions) and are not "hackable" to Region Free or PAL, AFIK. The Oppo 970 may not be "hackable" (but will play PAL DVDs) and I haven't been following the Sammy's & Tosh's.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #85 of 122 Old 07-08-2006, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Hi CT...

I looked briefly at the 970, but it looks like it's really only a good choice for those intent on using the 480i HDMI signal path. Otherwise, the 971H is still the superior performer, and I think OPPO shares this sentiment.

If you think I should add another section to the original thread post, I will do so. Help me out with which players it shoulr mentione and I will get it added.

Thanks for the heads up. There hasn't been much action on this thread.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #86 of 122 Old 07-11-2006, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

Yes, they will upconvert commercial, copy protected DVD's over component when the HDCP free hack is applied. That's the purpose of HDCP free hack.

Couple quick questions... will the hack work with a Samsung DVD-HD931? The player was given to me and seems like a nice player, but my projector doesn't have a DVI input.

Second question, once a hack is applied, can it be removed and how? Is it just a simple power down and unplug? (Since it's not a firmware upgrade I would think there is a way to back out easily)

Last... the reason I ask is because I have a 36inch Toshiba SDTV for primary viewing. If I apply the hack and it works, will it mess up the SVideo output that I use on my TV?

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein
post #87 of 122 Old 07-14-2006, 06:46 PM

Can anyone help a noobie hdtv owner out? I wasnt sure where to ask these questions.

I just got the Sony 42" Grand Wega LCD RP HDTV model number KDFE42A10 and have decided to buy an up conversion player.I currently own a Sony Progressive-Scan model
DVP-NS55P and am using it with component cables.Is it worth upgrading to one of the below?
The Sony DVP-NS75H or the OPPO DV-970HD.

Which out of these two would be the better one to buy for this tv?

I plan on using a hdmi cable.

If anyone has tested these players out on this tv or has any info,that would be great.

Thanks.
post #88 of 122 Old 07-15-2006, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
I tried the remote hack for my Samsung DVD-HD931 (angle,4,3,2,7,angle) and I did get the message hdcp free, but I still could not change resolution through my component output.

This is one reason I am leery of hacks and kinda want a player that upscales over component out of the box.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein
post #89 of 122 Old 08-03-2006, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
If anyone would like to contribute some text/links to this thread, I will add the info to the 1st message.

I have not been following the latest batch of players, but it does appear there are many new models to consider and add to the Emergency list.

Feel free to send me info via a PM or just post in the thread and I will copy it to the 1st message.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #90 of 122 Old 08-03-2006, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Bytehoven
Toshiba HD-A1
Toshiba HD-AX1
Hey, they may be HD-DVD players , but they are nice up-scaling players as well. Slow, but nice.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page