Sony DVP-NS75H - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2201 Old 04-03-2006, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RWESTLEY-- are there any menus that can be gotten to while dvd is working and can color be adjusted??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2201 Old 04-03-2006, 01:49 PM

On BB's site, they have both players listed, but the 85 in black only. I hope they have the silver one in the store. Anybody get a silver 85 from BB?

Jerry
post #273 of 2201 Old 04-03-2006, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 70
You can't get into the setup menu when a disk is playing on the Oppo. You can bring up the virtual keypad which lets you use many remote functions on screen.
post #274 of 2201 Old 04-03-2006, 03:51 PM

Do we know when NS75H will be available in Canada? On-line (sony.ca) or retail?

Thanks.
post #275 of 2201 Old 04-03-2006, 04:00 PM

Received the 85 today from Crutchfield.

Typical Sony build quality, which is either a good or bad thing depending on what you think of Sony.

For progressive film content, the picture quality is outstanding, just like with the previous model.

However, like with the previous models, interlaced content REALLY suffers. The player introduces alot of artifacts at every resolution, and quite frankly looks like crap. If you watch alot of TV show DVD's, many of which are encoded as pure interlaced video, you will want to avoid this player.

Audio is of typical Sony quality.

Kai
post #276 of 2201 Old 04-03-2006, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Some findings...
I am comparing the Oppo 971H and the Sony NS75H on my NEC 50XR5, and when (if) I get a chance I will spend a little time writing up my a more detailed comparison, conclusion, settings etc but here is an Overview on the NS75H with a little comparison to the 971H for those who might be interested.

In short (considering my short look) for the MRSP/Features/PQ and Audio the Sony NS75H is absolutely a Keeper, (now whether I am keeping it over the Oppo, that is not yet decided) I can say that I would be happy with either...

Setup
Display : NEC 50XR5 (Amazing PDP ... just had to say it!)
DVD Player: Oppo 971H DVI-> HDMI, Digital/Optical out
DVD Player: Sony 75H HDMI->HDMI, Digital/Optical out
Cabling : Quality Non-Monster (Monoprice and cable form Oppo)
Digital/Component: I have only tested via DVI/HDMI, that is all I am interested in.
Resolution: 480p over HDMI for both rendered best PQ
Settings: if I get a chance I can report on mine, but in short, I use basic/default settings, except where it definitely makes sense to set and let the Panel (my awesome panel) do the work.

NS75H : Black Level=Off, HDMI=YBR, pretty much everything else off or defaults.
971H: Video2, True Life=off, CSS=off, NR=off, most everything else default

On NS75H Questions / Concerns:
No Vertial Shift Apparent, i.e. the Vertical Shift as reported with the NS70H is not present. (although I have never seen that player) Image appears to be full and rendered properly. i.e. renders full image on full screen i.e. correct anamorphic.

Fairly Smooth Operation. (The FF and Slow works very well)

I found the unit fairly easy to configure and use.

Sony manual is actually usable.

Some Comparisons:
The NS75H rendered excellent PQ for 480p over HDMI comparable to the Oppo and yes the Oppo has excellent PQ. (480p seems to be what my display likes best from both Players, NEC Scalar is very good, 1080i seemed to add artifacts in particular Vertical Artifacts, 720p was in between, I think this will vary from display to display)
I say PQ comparable and close (for what I have demo'd), but I will not say equal to or exceeds the Oppo. The PQ with the Oppo is simply Outstanding! More on that if/when I can get the time to to go into the detail (demo'd LOTR TTT & Monsters, Inc), I spent my most critical time with the 5th element, and I will say 5th Element, Superbit Looked VERY Good on the NS75H, I did a number checks of comparisons, detail, vertical, horizontal angled artifacts, lettering, color etc. The Oppo still got a slight Nod, picture is just a touch cleaner in some of these areas, (maybe fiddling with the NS75H settings I might be able to get closer). But in short I was verrrrry please with the NS75H picture quality.

STRANGE/INTERESTING

The Experiment: (I am fearing even bringing this up because of the tangents it can lead to) I did find that the PQ on frozen/paused frames for Sony NS75H the was not as good as when the frames were rendered during Normal or "Slow/Super Super" play. I find this interesting and will delve into more if I get the chance. Yes I know this sounds weird, if you don't believe me do your own actual experiment (no unobserved theory please) with paused frames and then same frames on super slow ... you will see the differences. On the other hand paused frames on the Oppo were simply beautiful. Feel free to try this experiment yourself. I have some theories on this but again I am not an expert, if I get a chance I will provide great details into replicating "The Experiment" and If I get a chance I will shoot some pictures. Do not confuse this with ACTUAL RUNNING PQ, does not seem to effect that. This WOULD NOT... I repeat WOULD NOT ..... affect my decision on the 75H (thats for those of you that are looking for flaws in an inexpensive player) AGAIN Only reason I even bring this up is that I found it interesting Build quality of both seemed ok, solid... nothing rattling

Connectivity, pretty much equal with exception NS75H HDMI HDCP compliant, Oppo 971H DVI Non-HDCP compliant.

On screen displays I was fine with both, on player display I think the Sony is better, the Oppo is a bit hard to read.

Both Player allow adjustment of most the common settings (contrast brightness, filters etc) while DVD is playing. However both require stopping the DVD to change resolutions and detailed settings.

Very cursory MacroBlocking test showed MBE not present on both players when paired with the NECXR50 (SWEPII, LOTR:TTT, Monsters Inc, 5th): Was expecting not present on Sony, (non-Faroudja), happy not present on Oppo (Faroudja), need to do a little more checking.

The audio is very good, and would probably give the Sony a nod over the Oppo when it comes to Audio (however I find audio very subjective for me and hard to compare).

Other features etc... FF, Skip, Slow Play etc all worked fine. I don't use Zoom really. Oppo has occasional problems with subtitles that can be fixed with settings, thought I saw a strange Sub title or 2 on NS75H as well during SWEP II, though couldn't replicate.

SUMMARY

PQ give slight nod to Oppo, plus the ability to upgrade firmware/flexibility. (After all, who am I to argue with the HiFI Secret guys, I certainly didn't do all their test). But to be sure the PQ of the NS75H is very good, especially considering the MSRP.
Audio slight nod to the Sony.
Overall... thats your decision

OTHER STUFF:
I have also seen A LOT of questions about settings... one thing I noticed is that the manual for the Sony player is better than most. Most the questions I have seen WRSPT setting are in the manual. In short my philosophy for a "Inexpensive" DVD player is keep the setting basic and use your display to do the work, if you have an older display you may want to take advantage of the settings in the DVD.

I left all the "Playback Adjustments in their defaults. "Custom Picture Mode" (hit Display twice, go to Memory, picture, brightness, hues, ) settings off or default, Also you can find sharpness, bnr, mnr etc. These can be displayed/adjusted while the DVD is playing. pg 45 of the manual

If you are using HDMI you should probably use the default of YBR.

Cinema1 is the correct way to lower black llevel through HDMI. Corrected by JimSD

I have noticed some questions on the Oppo Operation there is a great thread on the Oppo that will most certainly answer those questions.

I reserve the right to be wrong and change my mind.....

Long Live The Gorn!
post #277 of 2201 Old 04-03-2006, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting review bvader, now you have me wanting to try the NS75H on our plasma (currently on smaller LCD). Would have to get an HDMI->DVI cable or adapter though.

Quote:

There is a black level setting besides the Cinema1 it is on the Screen Setup Menu.

My understanding is that these settings have no effect when you are using the HDMI output. One of them is for outputs other than component and HDMI, the other is for component. The manual recommends using Cinema 1 for movies - I guess that's their way of saying it passes BTB that way.
post #278 of 2201 Old 04-03-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvader View Post

Some findings...
I am comparing the Oppo 971H and the Sony NS75H on my NEC 50XR5, and when (if) I get a chance I will spend a little time writing up my a more detailed comparison, conclusion, settings etc but here is an Overview on the NS75H with a little comparison to the 971H for those who might be interested.

In short (considering my short look) for the MRSP/Features/PQ and Audio the Sony NS75H is absolutely a Keeper, (now whether I am keeping it over the Oppo, that is not yet decided) I can say that I would be happy with either...

Setup
Display : NEC 50XR5 (Amazing PDP ... just had to say it!)
DVD Player: Oppo 971H DVI-> HDMI, Digital/Optical out
DVD Player: Sony 75H HDMI->HDMI, Digital/Optical out
Cabling : Quality Non-Monster (Monoprice and cable form Oppo)
Digital/Component: I have only tested via DVI/HDMI, that is all I am interested in.
Resolution: 480p over HDMI for both rendered best PQ
Settings: if I get a chance I can report on mine, but in short, I use basic/default settings, except where it definitely makes sense to set and let the Panel (my awesome panel) do the work.

NS75H : Black Level=Off, HDMI=YBR, pretty much everything else off or defaults.
971H: Video2, True Life=off, CSS=off, NR=off, most everything else default

On NS75H Questions / Concerns:
No Shift

Appears to render full image on full screen i.e. correct anamorphic.

Fairly Smooth Operation. (The FF and Slow works very well)

I found the unit fairly easy to configure and use.

Sony manual is actually usable.

Some Comparisons:
Excellent PQ for 480p over HDMI comparable to the Oppo and yes the Oppo has excellent PQ. (480p seems to be what my display likes best from both Players, NEC Scalar is very good, 1080i seemed to add artifacts in particular Vertical Artifacts, 720p was in between, I think this will vary from display to display)
I say PQ comparable and close (for what I have demo's), but I will not say equal to or exceeds the Oppo. The PQ with the Oppo is simply Outstanding! More on that if/when I can get the time to to go into the detail (LOTR TTT & MonstersInc), I spent my most critical time with the 5th element, and I will say 5th Element, Superbit Looked VERY Good on the NS75H, I did a number checks of comparisons, detail, vertical, horizontal angled artifacts, lettering, color etc. The Oppo still got a slight Nod, picture is just a touch cleaner, (maybe fiddling with the NS75H settings I might be able to get closer). But in short I was verrrrry please with the NS75H picture quality.

STRANGE/INTERESTING

The Experiment: (I am fearing bring this even up because of the tangents it can lead to) I did find that the PQ on frozen/paused frames for Sony NS75H the was not as good as when the frames were rendered during Normal or "Slow/Super Super" play. I find this interesting and will delve into more if I get the chance. Yes I know this sounds weird, if you don't believe me do your own actual experiment (no unobserved theory please) with paused frames and then same frames on super slow ... you will see the differences. On the other hand paused frames on the Oppo were simply beautiful. Feel free to try this experiment yourself. I have some theories on this but again I am not an expert, if I get a chance I will provide great details into replicating "The Experiment" and If I get a chance I will shoot some pictures. Do not confuse this with ACTUAL RUNNING PQ, does not seem to effect that. This WOULD NOT... I repeat WOULD NOT ..... affect my decision on the 75H (thats for those of you that are looking for flaws in an inexpensive player) AGAIN Only reason I even bring this up is that I found it interesting Build quality of both seemed ok, solid... nothing rattling

Connectivity, pretty much equal with exception NS75H HDMI HDCP compliant, Oppo 971H DVI Non-HDCP compliant.

On screen displays I was fine with both, on player display I think the Sony is better, the Oppo is a bit hard to read.

Both Player allow adjustment of most the common settings (contrast brightness, filters etc) while DVD is playing. However both require stopping the DVD to change resolutions and detailed settings.

Very cursory MacroBlocking test showed MBE not present on both players when paired with the NECXR50 (SWEPII, LOTR:TTT, Monsters Inc, 5th): Was expecting not present on Sony, (non-Faroudja), happy not present on Oppo (Faroudja), need to do a little more checking.

The audio is very good, and would probably give the Sony a nod over the Oppo when it comes to Audio (however I find audio very subjective for me and hard to compare).

Other features etc... FF, Skip, Slow Play etc all worked fine. I don't use Zoom really. Oppo has occasional problems with subtitles that can be fixed with settings, thought I saw a strange Sub title or 2 on NS75H as well during SWEP II, though couldn't replicate.

SUMMARY

PQ give slight nod to Oppo, plus the ability to upgrade firmware/flexibility. (After all, who am I to argue with the HiFI Secret guys, I certainly didn't do all their test). But to be sure the PQ of the NS75H is very good, especially considering the MSRP.
Audio slight nod to the Sony.
Overall... thats your decision

OTHER STUFF:
I have also seen A LOT of questions about settings... one thing I noticed is that the manual for the Sony player is better than most. Most the questions I have seen WRSPT setting are in the manual. In short my philosophy for a "Inexpensive" DVD player is keep the setting basic and use your display to do the work, if you have an older display you may want to take advantage of the settings in the DVD.

I left all the "Playback Adjustments in their defaults. "Custom Picture Mode" (hit Display twice, go to Memory, picture, brightness, hues, ) settings off or default, Also you can find sharpness, bnr, mnr etc. These can be displayed/adjusted while the DVD is playing. pg 45 of the manual

If you are using HDMI you should probably use the default of YBR.

There is a black level setting besides the Cinema1 it is on the Screen Setup Menu.

I have noticed some questions on the Oppo Operation there is a great thread on the Oppo that will most certainly answer those questions.

I reserve the right to be wrong and change my mind.....

If your not using the upscaling features in these players and relying on the NEC scaler then you might benefit even more from the new OPPO player coming out that is able to send a 480I signal unaltered from transport to display and let the NEC handle it from their. It is suppose to be realeased at the end of April for a price between $129.99-149.99. Just something to think about.
post #279 of 2201 Old 04-03-2006, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSD View Post

My understanding is that these settings have no effect when you are using the HDMI output. One of them is for outputs other than component and HDMI, the other is for component. The manual recommends using Cinema 1 for movies - I guess that's their way of saying it passes BTB that way.

I took a closer look, I think you are right, Thanks for the correction I updated the post.

Long Live The Gorn!
post #280 of 2201 Old 04-03-2006, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv4 View Post

If your not using the upscaling features in these players and relying on the NEC scaler then you might benefit even more from the new OPPO player coming out that is able to send a 480I signal unaltered from transport to display and let the NEC handle it from their. It is suppose to be realeased at the end of April for a price between $129.99-149.99. Just something to think about.

Quite possibly true... but I have auditioned 3 players already, not looking forward to a 4th, I would probably wait for the 971H replacement due out late summer if I was gonna make a change. For the moment I am choosing between these 2.

Long Live The Gorn!
post #281 of 2201 Old 04-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Any ideas how the new Pioneer 696 will compare?
post #282 of 2201 Old 04-03-2006, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I thought I would give a quick review. I set up my new sony 75 tonight paired up with a TOSHIBA 53" DLP (HM95). PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT HAVE AN HDMI CABLE YET (it should be here by week's end), SO RIGHT NOW I HAVE IT HOOKED UP WITH COMPONENT CABLES.

I put in the Star Wars Attack of the Clones DVD. Initially I saw no picture quality difference compared to my 6 yr old Toshiba 3109 player. After tweaking a few things the picture did seem a bit more vibrant, but no drastic differences. Also, most of the picture adjustments had minimal or no noticable effect on the picture. Even the THX optimizer screens looked identical as with my old player. It could be my display, but with either player I still can't see the 4 shades of white on the first video test screen, it just looks like one large white box all the same shade.....

The remote feels a bit cheap and I am disappointed that it isn't black (I like black remotes). It serves it's purpose though, and is easy to navigate. The player all and all is very easy to navigate through, and the manual is very helpful.

Sound is another story. I noticed a significant difference in sound over my old player. More dynamic range and just a fuller sound in general. I still have to play with some settings, but so far so good.

Well I am hoping to see a difference in the picture when I go HDMI later in the week. I will report back then with my findings.

Lastly, and I know some of you aren't going to believe this, but I didn't see ANY difference in picture (even in fast action scenes) when the progressive scan button was activated (420p) from when it was not (420i). If anything the picture seemed more choppy when running 420p. Very strange.....but my honest findings.
post #283 of 2201 Old 04-03-2006, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
it looks like I'm going to pick up a sony 85h very soon!!!

excellent info from everybody, keep them coming!!!
post #284 of 2201 Old 04-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Couple quick questions.

Is there a black version of the 75? I know there is a black 85.

How quiet is the 75 and 85 during movie playback? Is the drive mechanism silent during playback?

Thanks.
post #285 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Zzen -- As far as I can tell the NS75 is silver and the NS85 is black and there are no other choices.

I did find some references to a black NS75, but when I looked at the specifications for it, the color was listed as silver .

I'm curious though, for the older versions, the NS70 has specs similar to the new NS75. The NS80 added both a 5 disk changer and SACD playback for the extra price. I can't find any information on the NS85 on-line to find out if it has SACD playback also.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #286 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 04:59 AM

When I originally picked mine up I hadn't gotten an HDMI cable (ordered one from Monoprice) so I had it hooked up with component cables.

Finally last night I was able to hook it up with an HDMI cable.

My last unit was a Samsung 841 unit, which to sayt the least, I was very much unhappy with.

Upon hooking this one up with the HDMI cable I can say I am quite impressed. To me, picture looks MUCH better than my last player. Very crisp, vibrant. I have a PIO 5060HD and with the Samsung I had to push color to like +12 to get a vibrant picture and to calibrate it according to the AVIA disk. This one... that setting is actually about -5.

Anyway... played several discs, and I am thinking this player is a keeper. Picture is great. I do not notice a ton of difference between 720 or 1080 though... so I am keeping it at 1080. Blacks seemed much better. On my Samsung it was this grayish crap and no real gradations or definition to darker scenes. With the Sony, even my girlfriend was noticing the much sharper, and clearer picture and how much more detail there was in darker scenes.

As for sound, I was impressed. The sound is IMHO much better with the Sony. Actually heard alot more, especially from the rear surround speakers. A few times my girlfriend was looking around or even jumping. I played the battle scenes from Master and COmmander and some LOTR scenes, and you could hear extra details I think I was missing from the Samsung. Course this could just be my opinion only... but I am impressed with this player overall and do not see myself returning it.

To whomever asked about noise of the player during playback... I didn't hear a peep from the player... quiet as a mouse. Normal load time, responsive remote (though once I had it set up, I use my Harmony 676).
post #287 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 05:05 AM
liy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlan View Post

When I originally picked mine up I hadn't gotten an HDMI cable (ordered one from Monoprice) so I had it hooked up with component cables.

My last unit was a Samsung 841 unit, which to sayt the least, I was very much unhappy with.

Upon hooking this one up with the HDMI cable I can say I am quite impressed. To me, picture looks MUCH better than my last player. Very crisp, vibrant. I have a PIO 5060HD and with the Samsung I had to push color to like +12 to get a vibrant picture and to calibrate it according to the AVIA disk. This one... that setting is actually about -5.

Anyway... played several discs, and I am thinking this player is a keeper. Picture is great. I do not notice a ton of difference between 720 or 1080 though... so I am keeping it at 1080. Blacks seemed much better. On my Samsung it was this grayish crap and no real gradations or definition to darker scenes. With the Sony, even my girlfriend was noticing the much sharper, and clearer picture and how much more detail there was in darker scenes.

As for sound, I was impressed. The sound is IMHO much better with the Sony. Actually heard alot more, especially from the rear surround speakers. A few times my girlfriend was looking around or even jumping. I played the battle scenes from Master and COmmander and some LOTR scenes, and you could hear extra details I think I was missing from the Samsung. Course this could just be my opinion only... but I am impressed with this player overall and do not see myself returning it.

To whomever asked about noise of the player during playback... I didn't hear a peep from the player... quiet as a mouse. Normal load time, responsive remote (though once I had it set up, I use my Harmony 676).

Ashlan, are you setting the Sony to "Standard" or "Cinema 1" (or using another setting)?

LIY
post #288 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 06:14 AM

For any of you in the Central Florida area, BB now has them in stock in most stores. The BB associates are completely clueless. On Saturday, they told me they would not have the 75H in stock until May. He could not explain why other stores all over the country already had them. On Monday, I called again and they said they do not have them in stock and it would be awhile. I was about to order it online, but checked the BB website first. Just an hour after they told me they would not have them in stock, they were listed on the website as in-stock for all the stores in the Orlando area. Needless to say, I went ahead and grabbed one there last evening. I ordered the HDMI cable from Blue Jeans Cable and see that they shipped it the same day. I can't wait to get everything hooked up to my new 50" SXRD. Should look great!!
post #289 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 06:17 AM

I was wondering if anyone knew if this player was available anywhere in Canada, or if it will ever come to Canada for that matter?

Have checked with 2 Futureshop's and a BestBuy, neither of them could tell me zip. I would love to know if the 75H & 85H are on there way, otherwise I'll just end up buying from the US and blowing the warrenty .

Thanks

Tony
post #290 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Oops...

Jeff

Gamertag - Ktulu1

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero
post #291 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liy View Post

Ashlan, are you setting the Sony to "Standard" or "Cinema 1" (or using another setting)?

LIY

currently have it on Cinema One setting, but have tried the Standard setting and probably in long run will use the standard setting as most tweaks I do with my 5060 and not the DVD player. Cinema One is a great "out of the box" setting overall though.
post #292 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

I'm curious though, for the older versions, the NS70 has specs similar to the new NS75. The NS80 added both a 5 disk changer and SACD playback for the extra price. I can't find any information on the NS85 on-line to find out if it has SACD playback also.

No, the NS85 does not have SACD playback.

I was initially confused by this too because the NS80 did, and Amazon had erroneously posted that that th NS85 did as well. I still haven't seen a display model, but I have closely examined the box, and there is no mention of it whatsoever, and the illustration shows no logo or light on the front as there was on the 80. Crutchfield appears to have accurate photos of the NS85, and there are no 5.1 ouputs on the back.
post #293 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Good move on the Monoprice cable. I'm not going to say that there aren't instances--or systems--where higher priced cables don't make sense, but I'm dumbfounded when people are talking about spending $50-100+ on an HDMI cable to connect a cable box or a $100 DVD player. Especially when you need 2 or 3 of them. If someone is convinced it is better, that's fine. But there are an awful lot of posts on here that seem to assume that going to DVI or HDMI requires you to spend a lot of money on cables. Try the $7 one first. Or buy both and return one.
post #294 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbeme View Post

Good move on the Monoprice cable. I'm not going to say that there aren't instances--or systems--where higher priced cables don't make sense, but I'm dumbfounded when people are talking about spending $50-100+ on an HDMI cable to connect a cable box or a $100 DVD player. Especially when you need 2 or 3 of them. If someone is convinced it is better, that's fine. But there are an awful lot of posts on here that seem to assume that going to DVI or HDMI requires you to spend a lot of money on cables. Try the $7 one first. Or buy both and return one.

I have to agree with you on cables. I believe this is an area that is "overpriced" and you pay for a name. If the $100 cable shows significant PQ/AQ over the $7.00 cable then I will pay for the "higher quality" but.... thats not my experience. Any one else out there have tried "cheap" vs "expensive" and have seen/heard a SIGNIFICANT difference?
post #295 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 08:05 AM

Well, I have paid Higher prices in the past and to me, overall most are not worth it. Second, to me, Monoprice's hdmi cable I bought was very good quality and build. My system is by no means lower end (nor higher end... heh heh), and in some places I have spent more money cause I think it is worth it, but when you go to CC or BB or whatnot and see a .5 meter HDMI cable for $129 and I can get the same from Mono for $14 plus shipping... I will take a chance to have an extra $100+ to spend elsewhere, like on speakers or receiver or even when I saved for my PIO 5060HD.

It is like ones who think buying nothing but Monster or Bose is the way to go... IMHO... disallusioned.

But to each their own. I say... try ones from a place like Mono... they suck... then send them back... but if they work great... you just got a good chunk of change to put elsewhere in yoru system.
post #296 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I spent some time last evening with the Sony DVP-NS75H. I put it through it's paces with the HQV Benchmark DVD version 1.4. I also retested the Sony DVP-NS70H and a Panasonic DVD-S77S (Faroudja based) as references. All players were hooked up to a JVC HD56G786 D-ILA 720p native display via HDMI. The players were set as follows.

Sony Players:

TV Type: 16:9
YCBCR/RGB: YCBCR
Black Level: On
Progressive: Auto
Picture Mode:Standard
Sharpness: Off

Noise Reduction (DVP-NS75H Only):

BNR: Off
MNR: Off

Panasonic DVD-S77S:

Transfer: Auto1

Code:
Manu           Sony      Sony     Sony     Panny   Panny   Panny   Sony     Sony     Sony 
Player         DVPNS75H  DVPNS75H DVPNS75H DVDS77S DVDS77S DVDS77S DVPNS70H DVPNS70H DVPNS70H
Connect        HDMI      HDMI     HDMI     HDMI    HDMI    HDMI    HDMI     HDMI     HDMI
Res            720p      1080i    480p     720p    1080i   480p    720p     1080i    480p

Color/Vert       5         5        10       10      5        5      10      10        10
Jaggies 1        3         3         3        5      5        5       3       3         3
Jaggies 2        3         3         3        3      3        3       3       3         3
Flag             5         5         5       10     10       10       5       5         5
Picture Detl    10         0         0       10     10       10      10      10        10
Noise Red       NA        NA        NA       NA     NA       NA      NA      NA        NA
MA Noise Red    NA        NA        NA       NA     NA       NA      NA      NA        NA
Film Detail      0         0         0        5      5        5       0       0         0

2:2              0         0         0        0      0        0       0       0         0
2:2:2:4          0         0         0        0      0        0       0       0         0
2:3:3:2          0         0         0        0      0        0       0       0         0 
3:2:3:2:2        0         0         0        0      0        0       0       0         0
5:5              0         0         0        0      0        0       0       0         0
6:4              0         0         0        0      0        0       0       0         0
8:7              0         0         0        0      0        0       0       0         0
3:2              0         0         0        5      5        5       0       0         0 
Mixed 3:2 H     10        10        10       10     10       10      10      10        10
Mixed 3:2 V     10        10        10       10     10       10      10      10        10

Total           46        36        41       68     63       63      51      51        51

The Tests

If you are unfamiliar with the HQV Benchmark disc, you can review the manual at HQV manual. Some of the tests can be a little subjective. Adhering strictly to the scoring instructions does a pretty good job of weeding out subjectivity but it's not fool proof.

Take the scores for what they are. They primarily test a player's or display's deinterlacing capability. When watching well made DVDs of movies even basic deinterlacing will look great. When DVDs are made from video sources, movies reedited in video, etc. the basic deinterlacers start to show their flaws. Take the scores for what they are.

Also keep in mind that these tests were administered on my display. While that will not affect deinterlacing performance on progressive output, changes of resolution may affect the test slightly as my display will have to scale anything other than 720p.

Sony DVP-NS75H

While this player is an improvement in that it doesn't shift the image as the 70H did it appears to be inferior at deinterlacing and perhaps scaling. In the Color/Vertical Detail test it shows lost resolution at position #1 on the pattern. Position #1 consists of closely space horizontal lines that alternate between black and white. At 720p and 1080i the lines blend together every so many lines in a pattern. Only at 480p are the lines displayed crisply and cleanly.

In the Picture Detail test the player showed a loss of detail in the bricks on the bridge at 1080i and 480p. The edges of the bricks totally vanish at some points on the bridge. In my notes I noted that the player looked soft at these resolutions.

A new feature to this player is the addition of noise reduction. The settings are called BNR and MNR (mosquito noise reduction). I found the noise reduction functions to be useless and in some cases made the material look worse. Your millage may vary.

Overall this player is more a lateral movement than a step up from the 70H. It has some new features and does not shift the image as the 70H does but to say it is an improvement is a stretch.

Someone asked if this player plays DVD+R DL discs and it does. All the players tested here played the same DVD+R DL without error.

Sony DVP-NS70H

Short of the image shift this is a good player for the price although its deinterlacing skills leave much to be desired. This is quickly becoming the standard that inexpensive DVD players are tested against, especially Sonys.

Panasonic DVD-S77S

Employing the Fouradja chip this player, and others based on the same chip, is a wonder of deinterlacing for the price. I use it as a reference as I don't have and currently cant afford a better deinterlacer. If it wasn't for macroblock enhancing, this player, and the others like it, would be the gold standard.

I had never tested this player at anything but 720p. I had assumed that 1080i would leave the deinterlacing up to my display but it's clear that the player deinterlaces all output on the HDMI interface. It must interlace it to output 1080i. It makes me wonder if the other players do this as well.

Again, this and all the players play DVD+R Dual Layer DVDs without error.

Jeff

Gamertag - Ktulu1

post #297 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I have paid Higher prices in the past and to me, overall most are not worth it. Second, to me, Monoprice's hdmi cable I bought was very good quality and build. My system is by no means lower end (nor higher end... heh heh), and in some places I have spent more money cause I think it is worth it, but when you go to CC or BB or whatnot and see a .5 meter HDMI cable for $129 and I can get the same from Mono for $14 plus shipping... I will take a chance to have an extra $100+ to spend elsewhere, like on speakers or receiver or even when I saved for my PIO 5060HD.

It is like ones who think buying nothing but Monster or Bose is the way to go... IMHO... disallusioned.

But to each their own. I say... try ones from a place like Mono... they suck... then send them back... but if they work great... you just got a good chunk of change to put elsewhere in yoru system.

I couldnt agree more!
post #298 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulu_1 View Post

I spent some time last evening with the Sony DVP-NS75H. I put it through it's paces with the HQV Benchmark DVD version 1.4. I also retested the Sony DVP-NS70H and a Panasonic DVD-S77S (Faroudja based) as references. All players were hooked up to a JVC HD56G786 D-ILA 720p native display via HDMI. The players were set as follows.

Sony Players:

TV Type: 16:9
YCBCR/RGB: YCBCR
Black Level: On
Progressive: Auto
Picture Mode:Standard
Sharpness: Off

Noise Reduction (DVP-NS75H Only):

BNR: Off
MNR: Off

Panasonic DVD-S77S:

Transfer: Auto1

Code:
Manu           Sony      Sony     Sony     Panny   Panny   Panny   Sony     Sony     Sony 
Player         DVPNS75H  DVPNS75H DVPNS75H DVDS77S DVDS77S DVDS77S DVPNS70H DVPNS70H DVPNS70H
Connect        HDMI      HDMI     HDMI     HDMI    HDMI    HDMI    HDMI     HDMI     HDMI
Res            720p      1080i    480p     720p    1080i   480p    720p     1080i    480p

Color/Vert       5         5        10       10      5        5      10      10        10
Jaggies 1        3         3         3        5      5        5       3       3         3
Jaggies 2        3         3         3        3      3        3       3       3         3
Flag             5         5         5       10     10       10       5       5         5
Picture Detl    10         0         0       10     10       10      10      10        10
Noise Red       NA        NA        NA       NA     NA       NA      NA      NA        NA
MA Noise Red    NA        NA        NA       NA     NA       NA      NA      NA        NA
Film Detail      0         0         0        5      5        5       0       0         0

2:2              0         0         0        0      0        0       0       0         0
2:2:2:4          0         0         0        0      0        0       0       0         0
2:3:3:2          0         0         0        0      0        0       0       0         0 
3:2:3:2:2        0         0         0        0      0        0       0       0         0
5:5              0         0         0        0      0        0       0       0         0
6:4              0         0         0        0      0        0       0       0         0
8:7              0         0         0        0      0        0       0       0         0
3:2              0         0         0        5      5        5       0       0         0 
Mixed 3:2 H     10        10        10       10     10       10      10      10        10
Mixed 3:2 V     10        10        10       10     10       10      10      10        10

Total           46        36        41       68     63       63      51      51        51

The Tests

If you are unfamiliar with the HQV Benchmark disc, you can review the manual at HQV manual. Some of the tests can be a little subjective. Adhering strictly to the scoring instructions does a pretty good job of weeding out subjectivity but it's not fool proof.

Take the scores for what they are. They primarily test a player's or display's deinterlacing capability. When watching well made DVDs of movies even basic deinterlacing will look great. When DVDs are made from video sources, movies reedited in video, etc. the basic deinterlacers start to show their flaws. Take the scores for what they are.

Also keep in mind that these tests were administered on my display. While that will not affect deinterlacing performance on progressive output, changes of resolution may affect the test slightly as my display will have to scale anything other than 720p.

Sony DVP-NS75H

While this player is an improvement in that it doesn't shift the image as the 70H did it appears to be inferior at deinterlacing and perhaps scaling. In the Color/Vertical Detail test it shows lost resolution at position #1 on the pattern. Position #1 consists of closely space horizontal lines that alternate between black and white. At 720p and 1080i the lines blend together every so many lines in a pattern. Only at 480p are the lines displayed crisply and cleanly.

In the Picture Detail test the player showed a loss of detail in the bricks on the bridge at 1080i and 480p. The edges of the bricks totally vanish at some points on the bridge. In my notes I noted that the player looked soft at these resolutions.

A new feature to this player is the addition of noise reduction. The settings are called BNR and MNR (mosquito noise reduction). I found the noise reduction functions to be useless and in some cases made the material look worse. Your millage may vary.

Overall this player is more a lateral movement than a step up from the 70H. It has some new features and does not shift the image as the 70H does but to say it is an improvement is a stretch.

Someone asked if this player plays DVD+R DL discs and it does. All the players tested here played the same DVD+R DL without error.

Sony DVP-NS70H

Short of the image shift this is a good player for the price although its deinterlacing skills leave much to be desired. This is quickly becoming the standard that inexpensive DVD players are tested against, especially Sonys.

Panasonic DVD-S77S

Employing the Fouradja chip this player, and others based on the same chip, is a wonder of deinterlacing for the price. I use it as a reference as I don't have and currently cant afford a better deinterlacer. If it wasn't for macroblock enhancing, this player, and the others like it, would be the gold standard.

I had never tested this player at anything but 720p. I had assumed that 1080i would leave the deinterlacing up to my display but it's clear that the player deinterlaces all output on the HDMI interface. It must interlace it to output 1080i. It makes me wonder if the other players do this as well.

Again, this and all the players play DVD+R Dual Layer DVDs without error.

Jeff... pardon my ignorance. Is a higher total better or worse?
post #299 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buda_can View Post

I was wondering if anyone knew if this player was available anywhere in Canada, or if it will ever come to Canada for that matter?

Have checked with 2 Futureshop's and a BestBuy, neither of them could tell me zip. I would love to know if the 75H & 85H are on there way, otherwise I'll just end up buying from the US and blowing the warrenty .

Thanks

Tony

Most likely yes.
The Sony Store and Sony Customer Service didn't have any concrete info.
But the NS70H is gone now from Sony.ca and Futureshop websites and BestBuy and The Brick are selling them off so it looks like the new models are coming to Canada. Just the question is when?

Any Canadians with some more info?

Thanks,
Adam
post #300 of 2201 Old 04-04-2006, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsfanoh View Post

Jeff... pardon my ignorance. Is a higher total better or worse?

Higher scores = better performance. Maximum possible score = 130. Since not all the players have noise reduction, those tests were not performed. So maximum possible score = 110.

Jeff

Gamertag - Ktulu1

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page