Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2201 Old 04-05-2006, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee9 View Post

BTW, the 5-Disc version model number is DVP-NC85H (with a 'C'), not DVP-NS85H--might come in handy when searching by model number.

I caught myself searching for a DVP-NS85H myself and getting no results. I finally figured out it was a C and placed my order. Now I just need to wait patiently ...

By the way, I wonder if "S" means "Single" and "C" means "Changer" in Sony-speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2201 Old 04-05-2006, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I hooked it up and played with it for the past 2 hours or so. I also have it hooked up via component cables so I could toggle between inputs to see the difference.

I played around with scenes from SPIDERMAN, Fifth ELEMENT SUPERBIT, INCREDIBLES

I must say there is not night and day difference between HDMI and component. I had to watch scenes over and over very carefully to see any differences. Here is what I found:

The HDMI looked the best on my set at 1080i (toshiba dlp 53hm95). The colors seemd more accurate using HDMI, and i did see very slight evidence of increased resolution when I sat about 4 feet away from the TV. At normal viewing distance I could not tell any difference.

My biggest complaint with HDMI is that it seems to also magnify the defects on the DVD as well. On some scenes the component setup looked much smoother. The HDMI had considerable noise in the background and you can see pixels kind of moving around and making the picture kind of shaky. (hard to explain) I also noticed in some dark scenes with HDMI the background looked like a dark jpeg picture that you try to lighten up. I don't know if this is called macroblocking, but it looks as if the background can't be displayed properly and has jagged lines all around it. If someone wants I can call out the exact movie scenes I am referring to.

So to summarize......HDMI was not a night and day difference over component. It did seem to sharpen up hte picture slightly and express more vibrant colors but the picture on average had much more "noise" associate with it. I would have to say the component hookup was definately smoother.

I am not sure if I am going to keep this player or not. I don't know if my expectations were too high or maybe there is a problem with my display. Maybe I just need to tweak some settings but honestly I don't know what else I can try.

My HDMI cable is the 14 dollar one from monoprice (3 feet in length, 24 gauge)
post #363 of 2201 Old 04-05-2006, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The problem is that HDMI will show the defects in a bad transfer. I still think it is the only way to go. Bill is your cable 6' or 3' I did not know the Monoprice carries a 3' cable. Their cables are great even the cheap ones.
post #364 of 2201 Old 04-05-2006, 06:52 PM

I am having a problem now with this DVD player, was working great, than I went to turn it on today and all I get is snow, and HDMI light flickers on the DVD player. I am concerned because I returned my last Samsung upconverting DVD player because the HDMI signal would dropout while I was watching movies. this really seems like more of the same.

Both were connected with HDMI cable to philips 37" LCD flatpanel.

Any suggestions or anyone else experienceing this.
post #365 of 2201 Old 04-05-2006, 07:41 PM

FEW MORE THINGS.....

1. There is a shift on the 75H! While there is no shift between selecting any of the modes in HDMI, the picture is thinner in any of the HDMI modes vs when viewing using component inputs. It is about 3/4" on top and bottom thinner in HDMI mode.

2. I am really liking the sound on this thing.....very strong.....my receiver is 10 units of volume lower than I used to run it and it sounds just as loud.
post #366 of 2201 Old 04-05-2006, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I did not know the Monoprice carries a 3' cable. Their cables are great even the cheap ones.

They definitely have 3' HDMI cables. I just ordered one for my dad today.
post #367 of 2201 Old 04-05-2006, 08:21 PM

So I let the DVD player cool down and unplugged it from the wall, it had apparently been on all day yesterday. After a while I plugged it back in and there were no problems. I guess these DVD players may have some issue with overheating and HDMI signal.
post #368 of 2201 Old 04-05-2006, 08:22 PM

by the way-- don't know if this was wrong but I had the mosquito noise reducer ON.
post #369 of 2201 Old 04-05-2006, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z View Post

1. There is a shift on the 75H! While there is no shift between selecting any of the modes in HDMI, the picture is thinner in any of the HDMI modes vs when viewing using component inputs. It is about 3/4" on top and bottom thinner in HDMI mode.

If it's the same on the top and bottom, how is that a shift? Sounds more like you have a different amount of overscan on those inputs. I've looked at the test patterns in DVE that would show if the picture was being compressed (basically a circle should be round, not oval) and the pattern looks fine.

It's been a while since I checked, but I remember seeing different amounts of overscan for 480i and 480p on our plasma on the component input. It wouldn't surprise me if an HDMI input had a different amount than the component input on your TV.
post #370 of 2201 Old 04-05-2006, 10:33 PM

Liked: 11
I hooked up the 75h today. The picture is much more cleaner, much more crisp than my last dvd player (the cheap JSI JS4127). The audio is also much cleaner and crisp.

However, it looks kind of grainy in areas that are black, i.e. a black suit, black car, and so on. It may be due to the settings on my display, which I should probably reset. I set it back and forth between 720p and 1080i and couldn't really tell a difference between the two. I set sharpness at 1 and to cinema 1. I only watched Matrix Revolutions and Batman Begins.

I'll test it out much more later on and tomorrow.
post #371 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Thanks JimSD, Monoprice indeed has 3'HDMI cables. I think they have even lowered the price on some of them. I have a few regular 6'cables and one 25' cable with ferrite cores and they work great.
post #372 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 06:07 AM

I have no issues with shift and I have looked at both component and HDMI. I have a PIO 5060HD plasma though... so who knows.

I also have no graininess, etc. Maybe post all your settings here and we can have a look?

Mine has nice clear sharp picture... very nice.

And whoeverwas saying they had to turn their sound down... I too have had to tweak mine down as when I started using this player the sound was much better than the player I was using before apparently. I hear alot more details... especially from the rear surrounds.... more than once either myself or my GF turned to look... .

Overall, for what I paid... this player has been very worth it.
post #373 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaarlieee View Post

I've messed around with it again. I tweaked my tv settings and got the color to look a lot better, but there is nothing I can do about the graininess of the picture. That alone makes me disappointed. At this point, I can't even tell if the picture is more detailed or softer anymore. I have a 30" JVC AV-30W776 CRT.

I'm going to order some component cables next week and see if the sony looks better through component.

Note that I stated the graininess issue back on about page 3 of this thread.

I have only noticed it on one DVD - WOTW, especially in the sky during the storm scene.

I cannot adjust it out....
post #374 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen View Post

Can anyone else confirm/refute this? Maybe it is just this guys' tv (hopefully). If the 75 is squishing the picture over HDMI even if only slightly then that is ridiculous. Is a circle really an exact circle with this player over HDMI? Maybe someone with a fixed pixel display can test to rule out geometry errors of the TV. Thanks.

Perfect circle on mine over component to my DLP HDTV as well as over HDMI>DVI to my Sharp DT-300 projector. With as much attention as is being placed on the "squish" & "Shift" issue (because of the 70H) I'm inclined to believe it's an isolated event, otherwise there would be a ton more comments about it.

"Life is a toy, play with it"
post #375 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 07:47 AM

i just picked up my 75H last night at Best Buy. I have it hooked up to my Toshiba 52" DLP (52HM95) via HDMI cable.
looks pretty good.
it takes a long long time to load a disc sometimes though. but in LotR - FotR and it takes like 15-30 seconds to read it. works fine though after that.

i did have some questions about settings and what not.
I have the DVD Player set to 16:9. i find that this helps with getting rid of a good portion of teh black bars on wide screen DVDs. it usually doesnt get rid of all of them though but greatly reduces them thats for sure. sometimes it will totally get rid of them, but i notice that it also makes it so that i lose like maybe 1/2 inche or less of viewable area on the bottom and top of the screen. left and right is fine as far as i can tell.

is that normal?

I went thru all the settings and i believe i have everyting setup correctly.
i use to have an OLD OLD Sony DVD player i got like 6-7 years ago. it actually HAD a dolby digital/DTS decoder in it, i think it was the first model out or something. if that was set to 16:9 it also does the same thing. i just didnt know if there was a way to fix that.
i need to keep doing some comparisons on it. right now i have it on Cinema 2. most poeple here say they use cinema 1 so i may change to that. i dont have any of those testing programs or whatever you guys use.
Sound is working ok though. although i still have it set to 48 and not 96, what does that actually do?
im using the optical out to a receiver.
If there is anyone else here with a Toshiba model like mine, can you post your TV video settings you use for DVD playback? im still trying to tweak those too.
Thanks for any info...
post #376 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen View Post

Can anyone else confirm/refute this? Maybe it is just this guys' tv (hopefully). If the 75 is squishing the picture over HDMI even if only slightly then that is ridiculous. Is a circle really an exact circle with this player over HDMI? Maybe someone with a fixed pixel display can test to rule out geometry errors of the TV. Thanks.

Yeah, mine definately looks better through component unless it is a terrific transfer. The sony does a great job deinterlacing and scaling through HDMI but it has pretty crappy filters. You see every defect in the transfer including grainy backgrounds and noise. I guess that is the difference between this and the more expensive players. They have better filters. Through component the noise is still there but hardly noticeable because the picture is softer. I saw this in SPIDERMAN, SIN CITY, INCREDIBLES, and some frames of STAR WARS ATTACK OF THE CLONES. LOTR looks simply fantastic through HDMI.

I checked the overscan again with the THX OPTIMIZER and the HDMI picture is definately squished over component. Component = perfect circle, HDMI = oval, and yes I checked the picture mode I was in.
morrow373: Yeah, mine definately looks better through component unless it is a terrific transfer. The sony does a great job deinterlacing and scaling through HDMI but it has pretty crappy filters. You see every defect in the transfer including grainy backgrounds and noise. I guess that is the difference between this and the more expensive players. They have better filters. Through component the noise is still there but hardly noticeable because the picture is softer. I saw this in SPIDERMAN, SIN CITY, INCREDIBLES, and some frames of STAR WARS ATTACK OF THE CLONES. LOTR looks simply fantastic through HDMI.

I checked the overscan again with the THX OPTIMIZER and the HDMI picture is definately squished over component. Component = perfect circle, HDMI = oval, and yes I checked the picture mode I was in.
post #377 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Bill97Z,
Does the THX Optomizer pattern you're using have circle for both 4:3 mode and 16:9 anamorphic mode? If it's just 4:3, possibly your display is showing a 4:3 picture with 480p over component, but stretching it in 720p/1080i since many sets only have one mode for HD signals and stretch it to fill the screen.

Things to try:
1. Make sure your DVD player is set to TV Type = 16:9
2. Experiment with the 4:3 Output setting on the DVD player.
3. Set the HDMI output to 480p as an experiment and see if you get the same results as component

Hopefully it's just a configuration issue.
post #378 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 09:17 AM

JIM--->I am set to 16x9 on the dvd player. I didn't try it on 420p with the hdmi....I just did it using 720, 1080 via hdmi. There is definately an oval shape and I can see the picture is a bit thinner. I will try some other configurations tonight.

Todd, I have an hm95 DLP tv too. I am hooked into hdmi. Do you have component cables? If so for kicks hook it up that way too. You can play a movie and just select the different input to see the difference in picture. I wonder if you will have the same findings I have. What resolution looks best? 1080i for me.....

Definately use the 16x9 setting on the dvd player. The black bars are supposed to be there and are not that large. You can alternatively select theatrewide 1 picture setting to fill up the screen but you will lose some of the picture.

A few more comments.......

I don't like cinema 1. I found that the STANDARD setting results in the least amount of grainyness and filters out the noise the best. On cinema 1 using hdmi close ups of peoples faces almost make them look fake and plastic.....I think there is too much contrast.

Those other noise filters included in the player seem useless......I can't see any difference with them on or off.

I urge everyone that has tried hdmi to also try component, you might be surprised.......

If anyone has spider man.....try chapter 25 (i think)......the first 30 seconds of it (up to the explosion) have tons of noise and grains....the picture almost seems like it is flickering and shaking in the background on hdmi. Component offered a much smoother picture. I found the same thing in the last chapter. After peter hugs his buddy and his buddy walks away, look at peters face on his lower chin (left side), it flickers bad.
post #379 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 09:22 AM

bill97z,

thanks for the info.
for me it seems that 1080i seems to look better with my setup. i belive i did notice too that standard helps with grainyness. its a give or take really, if you want more contrast and better blacks you will have to have more grainyness.

i will try with component cables as well. does this DVD player upconvert via the component? if not then it will use 480p via component correct?
post #380 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-todd View Post

bill97z,

thanks for the info.
for me it seems that 1080i seems to look better with my setup. i belive i did notice too that standard helps with grainyness. its a give or take really, if you want more contrast and better blacks you will have to have more grainyness.

i will try with component cables as well. does this DVD player upconvert via the component? if not then it will use 480p via component correct?

Yes the 75H will pass 420p or 420i via component.....just press the button on the player to toggle between the two. I can hardly notice any difference though.
post #381 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 09:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z View Post

JIM--->I am set to 16x9 on the dvd player. I didn't try it on 420p with the hdmi....I just did it using 720, 1080 via hdmi. There is definately an oval shape and I can see the picture is a bit thinner. I will try some other configurations tonight.

Todd, I have an hm95 DLP tv too. I am hooked into hdmi. Do you have component cables? If so for kicks hook it up that way too. You can play a movie and just select the different input to see the difference in picture. I wonder if you will have the same findings I have. What resolution looks best? 1080i for me.....

Definately use the 16x9 setting on the dvd player. The black bars are supposed to be there and are not that large. You can alternatively select theatrewide 1 picture setting to fill up the screen but you will lose some of the picture.

A few more comments.......

I don't like cinema 1. I found that the STANDARD setting results in the least amount of grainyness and filters out the noise the best. On cinema 1 using hdmi close ups of peoples faces almost make them look fake and plastic.....I think there is too much contrast.

Those other noise filters included in the player seem useless......I can't see any difference with them on or off.

I urge everyone that has tried hdmi to also try component, you might be surprised.......

If anyone has spider man.....try chapter 25 (i think)......the first 30 seconds of it (up to the explosion) have tons of noise and grains....the picture almost seems like it is flickering and shaking in the background on hdmi. Component offered a much smoother picture. I found the same thing in the last chapter. After peter hugs his buddy and his buddy walks away, look at peters face on his lower chin (left side), it flickers bad.

I noticed this with standard and cinema 1 also. Same with the filters. I'm very disappointed so far..
post #382 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 09:37 AM

Quick set up question ---- Just getting ready to hook my NS85 ( 5-disc ) up to my 37" LCD. This set has HDMI so I can connect it straight to the DVD player. But what about the audio? Will the optical digital output from the LCD also carry the DVD audio in 5.1? Or will I need to optical out directily from the DVD to the receiver for 5.1? (in addition to the hdmi to the set) I will also check out the component hookups as people are saying there isn't much advantage to using the HDMI scenario. Comments please.
post #383 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonBrewer View Post

Quick set up question ---- Just getting ready to hook my NS85 ( 5-disc ) up to my 37" LCD. This set has HDMI so I can connect it straight to the DVD player. But what about the audio? Will the optical digital output from the LCD also carry the DVD audio in 5.1? Or will I need to optical out directily from the DVD to the receiver for 5.1? (in addition to the hdmi to the set) I will also check out the component hookups as people are saying there isn't much advantage to using the HDMI scenario. Comments please.

Hook your optical cable from the dvd player to your receiver and it will pass sound. HDMI will also pass sound to your tv speakers to turn them off or turn down the tv volume.
post #384 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Bill, Which disc are you getting the THX Optomizer from? We have several that have it and I can check tonight which type of pattern it has. Newer DVDs have a different set of patterns than some of the older ones.

Do you remember if when looking at the circle pattern if the TV had black bars on the left and right with either 480p or 720p/1080i?
post #385 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 09:51 AM

My set, a HP LC3700N has detachable speaker so I'm not going to even install them ( it will not fit in my cabinet with the speaker attached ). But with HDMI also carrying audio to the tv, and there will already be an optical audio out to the receiver for cable / antenna reception, do I also need to make the direct DVD to receiver optical audio connection as well?? I have an extra cable so that is not an issue, just trying to understand the flow of electrons or photons as may be the case.
post #386 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:

yeah i just hooked my optical cable from the DVD to my reciever. then i just went to the audio properties of the TV and turned the speakers off. so no sound would come accross the HDMI.
post #387 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:

My set, a HP LC3700N has detachable speaker so I'm not going to even install them ( it will not fit in my cabinet with the speaker attached ). But with HDMI also carrying audio to the tv, and there will already be an optical audio out to the receiver for cable / antenna reception, do I also need to make the direct DVD to receiver optical audio connection as well?? I have an extra cable so that is not an issue, just trying to understand the flow of electrons or photons as may be the case.

ive heard that when people use HDMI to send sound to the TV and then use the Audio OUT of the TV to the Reciever IN, it sometimes, on a lot of tv sets, loses 5.1 funcionality. so they recommend hooking the audio straight from the DVD player to the Receiver using either the optical out or coaxial out. depending on what you can use.
post #388 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been reading the forum, but unless I've missed it, I haven't seen any tests using the 75H with a Front Projection System. Anyone tried this baby on a Projector? What are your thoughts? I currently have a cheap Denon prog scan player fed with component. Would love to know what to expect on a projector with the HDMI outputs unpconverting to my native rate of 720P on the PJ

Tony
post #389 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

I've been reading the forum, but unless I've missed it, I haven't seen any tests using the 75H with a Front Projection System. Anyone tried this baby on a Projector? What are your thoughts? I currently have a cheap Denon prog scan player fed with component. Would love to know what to expect on a projector with the HDMI outputs unpconverting to my native rate of 720P on the PJ

Yeah, you missed a few I have this hooked to both my DLP tv (component) and my Sharp DT-300 projector (HDMI>DVI) and the picture at 720P is stellar. King Kong is lifesize on my 92" screen!

"Life is a toy, play with it"
post #390 of 2201 Old 04-06-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSD View Post

Bill, Which disc are you getting the THX Optomizer from? We have several that have it and I can check tonight which type of pattern it has. Newer DVDs have a different set of patterns than some of the older ones.

Do you remember if when looking at the circle pattern if the TV had black bars on the left and right with either 480p or 720p/1080i?

I have several as well. I checked with STARWARS attack of the clones DVD. I don't remember any bars but i will check. Remember, not only does the circle become an oval, but I can physically see the letterbox shrink when using hdmi.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page