Sony DVP-NS75H - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2201 Old 04-08-2006, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't understand how DVD players can vary in sound. If connected via a fiber optic, or coax cable, listening to DD 5.1 or DTS sound, shouldn't all DVD players put out the same sound to your receiver?

I've read several people say this Sony outputs great quality sound. How are you guys determining this? I'm torn as to whether get this player, or the new Panny S52. Will both units give me identical sound, or will this Sony output better quality sound? I listen to primarly concert DVDs, DVD movies, and Xbox 360.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2201 Old 04-08-2006, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I've had the NS70H since December and have lived with the shifting issue. Movies looked stunning on my Samsung DLP in 720p regardless of the shifting. I contacted Sony months ago and sked about the shift. In response, I have the option of returning the DVD player to Sony for a full refund, even though they don't admit there is a problem with all machines, only perhaps mine. I was waiting to do this until a better DVD player would show up at BB or CC. So I am going to buy the NS75H tommorow from Best Buy and test them both out side by side. I'll let you all know my impressions and perhaps I return the NS70H back to Sony and keep the NS75H. It's a shame the 2X zoom issue wasn't fixed. I'll clearly be able to see if the upgrade is worth it.
post #453 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6veedub View Post

Can someone that is running HDMI to the TV and Optical to a AV receiver confirm??

I am running HDMI to my tv.......sound comes out of my tv speakers.... I also run an optical from my DVD player to my receiver....I turn the TV speakers down and use the receiver for DTS and 5.1
post #454 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnd Svyr View Post

Don't take this the wrong way, guys. I'm still only on page 11, but I get the distinct impression that you fellas don't watch anything but test discs. I trust my eyes. I don't need (and I know this is blasphemy to some hereon) a disc to tell me what's right for MY eyes. Admittedly, I have run through the THX thingie on one of the animated movies I have just for grins (and basically I made no changes from what I had set by eye--I did make changes, but no way could you tell by looking at a dvd). I get the feeling a lot of us have lost sight of the purpose of these devices--entertainment. Unless, you consider test discs entertainment. I don't begrudge anyone the right to tweak and tweak and tweak, though. I guess I am basically a set it and forget kind of person. I want to enjoy the thing, not make it a second career.

Anyway, I hope you won't run me out of town for saying my piece.

If I can figure out whether this player is actually upconverting, I'll let y'all know.

Your TV should display the type of signal it is receiving to confirm....
post #455 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z View Post

Your TV should display the type of signal it is receiving to confirm....

I am going through the manual to see if it will. I have a Panny RPTV (relatively new). When I hit info, I don't get a display resolution on the DVD, VCR or STB inputs--it does show it on the Off-Air channels.
post #456 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 06:10 AM

Well, I watched about 4 movies this weekend and really played around with my new 75H. So far I experimented with THE INCREDIBLES, STAR WARS - ATTACK OF THE CLONES, STAR WARS - RETURN OF THE SITH, XMEN, XMEN 2, 5TH ELEMENT - SUPERBIT, PREDATOR, FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING, SIN CITY, and SPIDERMAN.

It is still very difficult to see any night/day difference in picture with this player and my 6 yr old non progressive scan toshiba player (which already had a great picture). Perhaps I was expecting too much. If I had to make a statement I would say that the black levels are definately enhanced and the colors are a bit more vivid. I don't see much difference in picture using component connections and hdmi at normal viewing distance. On some disks I can see an increased resolution via HDMI but on some disks it almost looks "too sharp." Some peoples faces look like they have too much contrast and look plasticy at close viewing distances. Also with HDMI more background noise is present since the component connection offers a softer picture. Note that these differences are only really noticed when viewing my 53" toshiba DLP from about 3 feet away. Normal viewing distance (11-12') all this goes away and the picture looks smooth and detailed with minimal noise.

That said I really played around with settings and found that the picture looks best when set at 1080i. I am still getting some overscan on the top of my picture (letterbox about 3/4" thinner) vs component, but I think it is my display as others have not noticed this. I don't like the cinema 1 setting that most of you are using. STANDARD setting looks the best to me....it darkens the picture and improves black levels, and tends to hide any noise and artifacts better. The other filters seem useless, even the sharpness settings, I can not see a difference. I like to pause a clear frame on the dvd and then toggle between settings and see how that frame changes. I have mostly been tweaking using that method of comparing still frames, and then watching a 10 second or so sequence repeatedly.

The audio is definately an improvement probably because the player operates at a higher bitrate than my old toshiba. The signal is definately stronger and I run my receiver at a lower volume that usual. The clarity is impressive as well as the separation. The surrounds really come alive more than ever.

All that said I am keeping this player. It is a bargain at 130 bucks and I think it is worth it for the audio alone. The picture isn't a night and day difference, but it is definately no worse than what I had and at least I get to keep up with technoloy using HDMI, and upscaling,etc,etc. I think as I play with it even more and watch more movies I will find the settings that please me the best. I can't say this for sure but so far they seem to vary from disk to disk.

A few last thoughts.....

This player seems to do an excellent job deinterlacing and scaling,etc. If I had to describe it in a few words I would say it is a "what you see is what you get" player. It basically displays accurately what is encoded on the dvds. I have seen artifacts and noise that I never saw before via hdmi but I am convinced that these things are present on the film transfer to DVD and that is why I am seeing them. Component connections offers a softer picture so these things are harder to see in that mode. And remember....most dvds have horrible transfers to begin with. Only a small % of movies out there have really great transfers and with an HD display and HDMI you really see the difference. I guess the weakness of this player could be it's lack of filters. If it had some filtering capability it could maybe enhance a poor transfer dvd into something that looks much better. For the record I don't know of any other players out there that can do this very good, and I don't see SD players getting much better as most of the development now will be for the HD formats. I would hate to say this, but I am starting to see that these HD displays are too good to watch SD DVD's. I definately recommend this player at it's price point. It will definately hold you over for a few yrs until you bite the bullet and get an HD player!
post #457 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 06:14 AM

Quote:

I am running HDMI to my tv.......sound comes out of my tv speakers.... I also run an optical from my DVD player to my receiver....I turn the TV speakers down and use the receiver for DTS and 5.1

I have the same set up. However, volume throught the HDMI on my TV is about fifty percent of the other inputs.

At the receiver, it sounds good so I assume the digital stuff is coming through the way it should. Haven't figured out how to get the Onkyo HTS 780 to tell me what it is receiving. It does recognize different input as it switches back and forth some times on the display.

As with picture quality, I am trusting my senses.
post #458 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 06:19 AM

Quote:

I have the same set up. However, volume throught the HDMI on my TV is about fifty percent of the other inputs.

At the receiver, it sounds good so I assume the digital stuff is coming through the way it should. Haven't figured out how to get the Onkyo HTS 780 to tell me what it is receiving. It does recognize different input as it switches back and forth some times on the display.

As with picture quality, I am trusting my senses.

I agree the digital input volume is much lower than when using RCA cables......
post #459 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 06:32 AM

Quote:

...All that said I am keeping this player. It is a bargain at 130 bucks and I think it is worth it for the audio alone. The picture isn't a night and day difference, but it is definately no worse than what I had and at least I get to keep up with technoloy using HDMI, and upscaling,etc,etc. I think as I play with it even more and watch more movies I will find the settings that please me the best. I can't say this for sure but so far they seem to vary from disk to disk.

Are we really keeping up with technology if the player shows no noticeable improvement over a non-progressive 6 year-old player?

I bought mine on the promise of "near HD quality." The picture looks good, but if the Sony is upscaling, so was my 6+ year-old Panny player.

Maybe I have missed it, but I have yet to see a post where anyone is reporting "near HD quality."

Don't get me wrong. I like the player well enough. But, it hasn't beat my old one yet.
post #460 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 07:23 AM

Quote:

Are we really keeping up with technology if the player shows no noticeable improvement over a non-progressive 6 year-old player?

I bought mine on the promise of "near HD quality." The picture looks good, but if the Sony is upscaling, so was my 6+ year-old Panny player.

Maybe I have missed it, but I have yet to see a post where anyone is reporting "near HD quality."

Don't get me wrong. I like the player well enough. But, it hasn't beat my old one yet.

I have not seen an HD quality to compare it to yet......
post #461 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_fire View Post

I don't understand how DVD players can vary in sound. If connected via a fiber optic, or coax cable, listening to DD 5.1 or DTS sound, shouldn't all DVD players put out the same sound to your receiver?

I've read several people say this Sony outputs great quality sound. How are you guys determining this? I'm torn as to whether get this player, or the new Panny S52. Will both units give me identical sound, or will this Sony output better quality sound? I listen to primarly concert DVDs, DVD movies, and Xbox 360.

Bill just said the sound was a big improvement over his older Toshiba DVD player. How is this? How can I tell what newer DVD players put out the best sound?
post #462 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

After some testing and comparison on the NC85H, I found for my panny ED plasma that I preferred the 480i component connection over the HDMI. (Tried all types of picture adjustments on DVD player and TV). Bottom line is I found the HDMI upconversion to be too grainy. Too bad HDMI does not pass 480i as I would have liked the 1 HDMI connector instead of running the 3 component cables. Evidently my TV does a pretty good conversion of the 480i signal.

I needed another DVD player anyway (and 5 disc changer a bonus), so will keep.

JCPZero

Tips for Searching AVS:
Change showing threads from default of last 2 days to last 100 days (lower right section of page)
Use Search This Forum (Current) box (upper right section of page)
Type in model number, manufacturer name or other search term.
post #463 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 12:13 PM

Just to update. I have confirmed that my TV is reporting 1080i through the 75H over HDMI. However, there's no difference between PQ of HDMI and component.

Now, when toggling between component and HDMI, I noticed for the first time that there is SIGnificant shift over the component. Like half as much black at the top as at the bottom. Hadn't noticed when watching over component PRIOR to hooking up HDMI. Of course, maybe it's just the DVD I'm watching which is Last Samurai.

Just thought those using component only may want to know. I may still be doing something wrong though so I'll put it through some paces and see.
post #464 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I think those with large screen projector setups will notice the biggest difference with upscaling players. I have compared this player with the Oppo 971 which produces a better picture for me on my Panasonic AE900. I hooked up a friend's Sony to compare. He needed a changer the 85 model. On another note the Sony does pass 5x1 or 6x1 through coax and toslink along with HDMI. The person from Sony was all wet. It is not unusual that they give out wrong information. That is why I love the Oppo support. No wrong information.
post #465 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just to update. I have confirmed that my TV is reporting 1080i through the 75H over HDMI. However, there's no difference between PQ of HDMI and component.

Now, when toggling between component and HDMI, I noticed for the first time that there is SIGnificant shift over the component. Like half as much black at the top as at the bottom. Hadn't noticed when watching over component PRIOR to hooking up HDMI. Of course, maybe it's just the DVD I'm watching which is Last Samurai.

Just thought those using component only may want to know. I may still be doing something wrong though so I'll put it through some paces and see.

FYI - Many displays will have different degrees of overscan depending on input. Your's may be one of them.
post #466 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT917 View Post

FYI - Many displays will have different degrees of overscan depending on input. Your's may be one of them.

Thanks. Something must be up because I know I watched a movie via component prior to hooking up the HDMI and the 2.35:1 picture was centered. I must have altered something somewhere.
post #467 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks. Something must be up because I know I watched a movie via component prior to hooking up the HDMI and the 2.35:1 picture was centered. I must have altered something somewhere.

Mine does the same thing with HDMI.....I see the same exact picture though (nothing is cut off) but there is about 3/4" more black space at the top of my 53" DLP.

As for those experimenting with component vs hdmi......compare a few clear frames paused.....sit about 3-4 feet from the TV........you can definately see more detail. I agree though, that normal viewing distance there isn't much of a difference. That being said, I have been using HDMI for a few more movies today and I don't know if it's growing on me or what, but especially on gladiator, it does look better!
post #468 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

The other filters seem useless, even the sharpness settings, I can not see a difference.

Strange. Sharpness makes a big difference on my DLP
post #469 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:

My goodness. It's a $129 player. I have an eight year old non-progressive player that has 50x the build quality, but I wouldn't dream of hooking it up to my current set because I know it can't compete. There are lots of comments and critiques here with very little mention of the displays they are matched with. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this player did not make a noticeable difference with many of your sets. But for me it does.

On my 50" SXRD, the Sony upconvert players (the 70, the 90 and now the 75) were all a minor improvement via HDMi versus the two year old Toshiba progressive (via component) they replaced (the shift issue with the previous players caused me to keep investigating the alternatives). The differences were subtle but not night and day when doing back and forth comparisons. But in living with the players viewing actual material (the shift is solved for me with the 75), the Sony upconverts have often left a smile on my face that I did not get before.

I'm not trying to say it's HD because it's not. But on a good source, it's pretty darn competitive. I've got little kids and too busy a life to audition stuff all evening long. But some of the recent things I've viewed (such as "Walk the Line" or a few LOST episodes from last season) actually looked better overall to me than the Masters coverage on CBS the last couple days. Killer HD broadcasts trump it for sure, but I am very satisfied watching my TV with an upconvert player. If this weren't the case, I would have returned it (the tv, not the player) and waited for more broadcast material.
post #470 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 10:17 PM

I've been auditioning a couple of DVD players in my home theatre one of which is Sony's new NS85H. My display is a Sony Ruby projector - 1080p SXRD onto a 110" screen. I've been looking for a high quality DVD to tide me over until the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players make it out. After doing some research I settled in on the Denon 2910. I found a great deal on a Denon 3910 with a liberal return policy and decided to go ahead and audition both of these. Given the price tags of these in the $600 to $1000 range I was also interested in how these might compare to a new generation Sony so I picked up the NS85H 5 disk carousel.

To make a long story short I find the Denon 3910 to have superior video quality to the 2910. Not sure why because I thought the video chips in these were the same. In comparing the 3910 against the Sony I find the Denon to have a very slight edge in picture quality but its ever so slight that the $1000 difference in price just doesn't seem to justify the more expensive player. I did a lot of A/B comparisons of the Eagles Farewell 1 concert. I chose this disk for my testing because I ended up with two DVD's that I can play in each player. There are a lot of dark scenes so it's good for testing contrast and black levels. The Denon seems to have a slight edge in overall contrast and the blacks just seem a little deeper than the Sony. The one issue however I've noticed with the Denon is floating black. This is where there's almost a shimmer of black a shade lighter than black underneath. I've noticed this on Nemo and in some of the Eagles scenes. The other area where I noticed the Denon had a slight edge was where you had vertical or horizontal stripe black patterns that had movement. On the Sony the edges of the black would appear to blur and shimmer as the pattern moved whereas the Denon had more well defined edges and didn't blur as the Sony did. I probably wouldn't have noticed this in normal movie watching if it wasn't for me repeating a loop 20 times.

Last night I watched the Star Wars Empire Strikes back on the Sony. Wow!!! I can see what you guys mean by a really good DVD transfer. I was amazed at how this looked on my large screen. It almost appeared to be in HD, at least the quality I've seen on Cinemax's HD movie channel. The sound of Dolby EX was spectacular. On the Eagles DVD I also could not detect any discernable difference between the DTS 5.1 sound of the Denon 3910 and the Sony. I really did expect to since these are both digital bit streams being read off the player and decoded in my processor.

While the Sony isn't the build quality of the Denon it's a keeper and well worth the $150 I paid!
post #471 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I just bought the NS75H today and hooked it up to my Samsung HLR5087W 720p set. I had the NS70H since November and have been using it hapilly with the shift issue since movies still looked great.

My first impression is that the shift issue is 100% fixed, and the image is actually brighter on the new DVD after switching to cinema 2 than the same setting was with the NS70H. This could also be because the laser itself has been over-used but there is a noticeable difference with brightness and color between the two.

I am very pleased with this upconversion and as stated above, the quality with standard DVD upconverted can be better than Over the Air HD broadcasts in some cases. The Masters on CBS didn't look good when it was live, however the shots taken of the scenery and of Hogan's Bridge looked noticeably better than the rest of the footage. Now to get back to this DVD player... The NS75H has a few improvements over the NS70H as mentioned in a few posts earlier. The instruction manual is clearly better and explains a lot more than before. I am going to hold off buying any HDDVD or BlueRay until prices of players and discs drop considerably. Till then, I can still play HD thru my PC if need be.

Anyone who has the NS70H will be very happy with the imrovements Sony has made and can be assured this player does not have the shift issue on any setting. And again, the picture quality is outstanding and brighter when compared to my seven month old NS70H which is going to be returned to Sony
post #472 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post

I just bought the NS75H today and hooked it up to my Samsung HLR5087W 720p set. I had the NS70H since November and have been using it hapilly with the shift issue since movies still looked great.

My first impression is that the shift issue is 100% fixed, and the image is actually brighter on the new DVD after switching to cinema 2 than the same setting was with the NS70H. This could also be because the laser itself has been over-used but there is a noticeable difference with brightness and color between the two.

I am very pleased with this upconversion and as stated above, the quality with standard DVD upconverted can be better than Over the Air HD broadcasts in some cases. The Masters on CBS didn't look good when it was live, however the shots taken of the scenery and of Hogan's Bridge looked noticeably better than the rest of the footage. Now to get back to this DVD player... The NS75H has a few improvements over the NS70H as mentioned in a few posts earlier. The instruction manual is clearly better and explains a lot more than before. I am going to hold off buying any HDDVD or BlueRay until prices of players and discs drop considerably. Till then, I can still play HD thru my PC if need be.

Anyone who has the NS70H will be very happy with the imrovements Sony has made and can be assured this player does not have the shift issue on any setting. And again, the picture quality is outstanding and brighter when compared to my seven month old NS70H which is going to be returned to Sony

Do you find you like the Cinema 2 setting over the Dynamic 2 setting? I like a bright juicy picture and I've gone back and forth between those two settings. Standard is just too standard, kinda lifeless and Cinema 1 produced a grainyish (is that a word?) picture with the dark scenes. Dynamic 2 and Cinema 2 are both simply delicious with D2 popping the colors just a bit more. I'm running mine HDMI 720P to my projector. Pride & Prejudice looked great tonight!

I agree with you on the NS70/NS75 comparisons. I too had a 70 and the 75 is a marked improvement.

"Life is a toy, play with it"
post #473 of 2201 Old 04-09-2006, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
chall87 -- Thanks for your review. I really appreciate your comparison of the new Sony's (75H/85H) vs. the Denons (2910/3910) on your Ruby (and 110" screen). I have a PJ too (106" screen, but no Ruby ), and was debating between the S97 and the 971H, now the 75H. The 75H's price difference means I can buy more DVDs .

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #474 of 2201 Old 04-10-2006, 05:21 AM
liy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsdon View Post

Do you find you like the Cinema 2 setting over the Dynamic 2 setting? I like a bright juicy picture and I've gone back and forth between those two settings. Standard is just too standard, kinda lifeless and Cinema 1 produced a grainyish (is that a word?) picture with the dark scenes. Dynamic 2 and Cinema 2 are both simply delicious with D2 popping the colors just a bit more. I'm running mine HDMI 720P to my projector. Pride & Prejudice looked great tonight!

I agree with you on the NS70/NS75 comparisons. I too had a 70 and the 75 is a marked improvement.

I assume that you guys are running a calibration utility, like a Avia or VE, after you change these settings from Standard to Cinema? If not, I don't see how you can really do a valid comparison. Clearly, Cinema1 or Cinema 2 boost color (considerably) and brightness (somewhat). Unless you balance these, per Avia or VE, you can't really compare. Can you?

Note: I continue to use Standard into my Pio, as I am looking for a neutral picture (i.e., I want to see what's recorded on the disk). If necessary, I can always goose up the settings with my tv's remote!

LIY
post #475 of 2201 Old 04-10-2006, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is still very difficult to see any night/day difference in picture with this player and my 6 yr old non progressive scan toshiba player (which already had a great picture).

Bill, this might be because the scaler/deinterlacer in your TV is of similar quality as the unit in the 75H.

Jeff

Gamertag - Ktulu1

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero
post #476 of 2201 Old 04-10-2006, 06:27 AM

Dumb question here....how do you let your TV be the scaler/deinterlacer rather than your DVD player...and vice versa??
post #477 of 2201 Old 04-10-2006, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall87 View Post

I've been auditioning a couple of DVD players in my home theatre one of which is Sony's new NS85H. My display is a Sony Ruby projector - 1080p SXRD onto a 110" screen. I've been looking for a high quality DVD to tide me over until the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players make it out. After doing some research I settled in on the Denon 2910. I found a great deal on a Denon 3910 with a liberal return policy and decided to go ahead and audition both of these. Given the price tags of these in the $600 to $1000 range I was also interested in how these might compare to a new generation Sony so I picked up the NS85H 5 disk carousel.

To make a long story short I find the Denon 3910 to have superior video quality to the 2910. Not sure why because I thought the video chips in these were the same. In comparing the 3910 against the Sony I find the Denon to have a very slight edge in picture quality but its ever so slight that the $1000 difference in price just doesn't seem to justify the more expensive player. I did a lot of A/B comparisons of the Eagles Farewell 1 concert. I chose this disk for my testing because I ended up with two DVD's that I can play in each player. There are a lot of dark scenes so it's good for testing contrast and black levels. The Denon seems to have a slight edge in overall contrast and the blacks just seem a little deeper than the Sony. The one issue however I've noticed with the Denon is floating black. This is where there's almost a shimmer of black a shade lighter than black underneath. I've noticed this on Nemo and in some of the Eagles scenes. The other area where I noticed the Denon had a slight edge was where you had vertical or horizontal stripe black patterns that had movement. On the Sony the edges of the black would appear to blur and shimmer as the pattern moved whereas the Denon had more well defined edges and didn't blur as the Sony did. I probably wouldn't have noticed this in normal movie watching if it wasn't for me repeating a loop 20 times.

Last night I watched the Star Wars Empire Strikes back on the Sony. Wow!!! I can see what you guys mean by a really good DVD transfer. I was amazed at how this looked on my large screen. It almost appeared to be in HD, at least the quality I've seen on Cinemax's HD movie channel. The sound of Dolby EX was spectacular. On the Eagles DVD I also could not detect any discernable difference between the DTS 5.1 sound of the Denon 3910 and the Sony. I really did expect to since these are both digital bit streams being read off the player and decoded in my processor.

While the Sony isn't the build quality of the Denon it's a keeper and well worth the $150 I paid!

Hi Chall,

Very interesting post. I do believe the 3910 has an add video feature (called "pixel..." something). Also, I would assume the 3910 has better power/circuitry which would give the video quality a further edge. Your comparison of the Denon 2910/3910 reminds me of the recent comparison I did of the Sony 3100ES and 9100ES. While both of these players share the same deinterlacer and HDMI transmitter, the 9100ES does have an edge in video quality most likely due to the vastly superior power supply and circuitry of the 9100ES (as it weighs twice as much as the 3100ES).

Regarding the video quality of the Denon 3910 - I was able to compare it to the Sony 9100ES on my display (Sony KP-57WS520). I spent several hours doing A/B comparisons and the Sony definitely has better color rendition, black levels, and contrast than the Denon. I would suspect the Denon would excel on deinterlacing tests (such as HQV or Kris Deering's tests), however, for film-based and "real life" viewing, I would suspect the deinterlacing of the 3910 and 9100ES would be very close.

I find your observations and comparisons regarding the 75 very interesting. I once tested the 70 long before I tried out the Denon and Sony ES models (and before my display was professionally calibrated) and was impressed. I opted to stick with my Panasonic XP-30 at the time. All in all, I think Sony has really made BIG improvements in their recent DVD players at all price points.

post #478 of 2201 Old 04-10-2006, 09:44 AM

I hooked up the 85 changer this weekend and so far I don't see a lot of difference between HDMI or component out to the TV. They are both hooked up and I can switch back and forth between the two. I have also confirmed they the DVD player is upconverting to 480p, 720p, or 1080i -- whichever I select from the menu. I have a digital cable running from the player to the receiver input and I have confirmed 5.1 and DTS--sounds great!! For the main sound on the TV I have an optical out from the TV to the receiver and my TV will output ( per the manual ) 5.1 over the optical. However when I select the HDMI input ( dvd player ) on the TV the receiver displays 48 PCM and only goes to 2.1 when I have the TV selected on the receiver ( sony ). Anyone have an answer to this? Why is it not passing 5.1 from the dvd to the TV and then on to the receiver? I am trying to use only the TV remote for watching DVDs instead of using the receiver remote also. While watching DVDs via HDMI, I can select the DVD player on the receiver ( digital coax ) and I will regain the 5.1 and DTS so its not a huge deal. Just hoping that one of you fellas has run across this already and could shed some light.

I still think the HDMI socket / cable connection is crappy. My HDMI cable out of this DVD player is very sloppy and seems like it will pop out at any time. The signal connection is good however since the HDMI light is on and the movies look fine. Any help on the above questions will be appreciated.
post #479 of 2201 Old 04-10-2006, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsdon View Post

I like cinema 2 better than the rest on my TV. I like the colors to be vibrant also however I haven't played with the settings that much since I really liked the way cinema 2 looked over the rest on my initial test run of movies. I am tempted to create my own manual settings but at the moment I'll leave it alone. My only gripe about both of these players is still the 2x icon not fading out during zoom playback. Luckily, the need for me to zoom in on anything is about 5% of my DVD collection which are the first non-anamorphic bunch.

One question to all of you here. What sounds settings would be best with using the HDMI cable only to the TV and playing out of my TV's speakers?
post #480 of 2201 Old 04-10-2006, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Be careful of possible white crushing or not passing BTB with Dynamic or Cinema settings.

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page