Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 2201 Old 03-22-2007, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Yes. Or find a family member or friend or neighbor that is a member and have them get it for you.

Im not a member or know someone thats a member, someone recomended the OPPO Dv970H player, i might take a look at that, its better then the sony right?

Member of SFX-360:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2201 Old 03-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamegod2x View Post

Im not a member or know someone thats a member, someone recomended the OPPO Dv970H player, i might take a look at that, its better then the sony right?

Based on what I've read here, the PQ of the two is very similiar. The Oppo has more features and tweakability, which I don't need. Plus I could just go and pick up the Sony vs. ordering the Oppo online.
post #1983 of 2201 Old 03-22-2007, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

Based on what I've read here, the PQ of the two is very similiar. The Oppo has more features and tweakability, which I don't need. Plus I could just go and pick up the Sony vs. ordering the Oppo online.

Very well put!
post #1984 of 2201 Old 03-23-2007, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamegod2x View Post

The Oppo is better than the Sony for everything except region 1 DVD-V playback over HDMI and if region 1 DVD-V over HDMI is all you need, I consider the two equal and very good for a budget player, I have both.

Chris
post #1985 of 2201 Old 03-23-2007, 07:10 AM

It may be too late for me, since I already bought the DVD player (haven't picked it up), but I am still asking.

Q: If I connect HDMI from the player to directly to my TV, would I still get audio output (digital preferred) to my receiver, so I can use the speaker system?

I can't afford right now to get a receiver with HDMI switching, and I definitely want the HDMI upconversion. The TV's speakers aren't half bad (Sony Bravia KDL-46S2010), but listening on digital 5.1 is better for me.

This wasn't an issue in my mind until I discovered last night that HDMI carried video AND audio, I connected my cable box HDMI to the TV thinking it was just video and lo and behold, the TV speakers started blasting.

The player that I bought was the NC85, but given that the NS75 is so similar, your experiences with it will satisfy my curiosity for now.

Thanks,

Vince
post #1986 of 2201 Old 03-23-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicentezamora View Post

It may be too late for me, since I already bought the DVD player (haven't picked it up), but I am still asking.

Q: If I connect HDMI from the player to directly to my TV, would I still get audio output (digital preferred) to my receiver, so I can use the speaker system?

I can't afford right now to get a receiver with HDMI switching, and I definitely want the HDMI upconversion. The TV's speakers aren't half bad (Sony Bravia KDL-46S2010), but listening on digital 5.1 is better for me.

This wasn't an issue in my mind until I discovered last night that HDMI carried video AND audio, I connected my cable box HDMI to the TV thinking it was just video and lo and behold, the TV speakers started blasting.

The player that I bought was the NC85, but given that the NS75 is so similar, your experiences with it will satisfy my curiosity for now.

Thanks,

Vince

I have the NC85 and am outputting HDMI video to a projector with toslink digital audio output to a receiver with no problems.

Randy
post #1987 of 2201 Old 03-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

yep - go optical out from the player to your receiver and you'll be just fine.

Ottawa Ontario Canada
post #1988 of 2201 Old 03-23-2007, 01:25 PM

I am just coming to the sad realization that the NC85H does not play all cds continuously, and neither it shuffles play on all discs and frankly, that's the only reason I was exploring a CD changer instead of a single disc player.

Having this function (play all discs) is not a big deal for DVDs, but for CDs is almost essential, so I may exchange my order with Circuit City and buy the NS75 after all.

Would the Samsung HD960 be any better in terms of PQ or sound? given that I am back to single disc players, might as well start from square-1. By the way, I am looking in the price range under $150, but I'd consider a player under $200 if it's that good.

As far as CD changer, I think I can pick up an older CD changer for less than $50, on Craigslist, so the wife can't complain about the "budget".

Thanks for your opinions,

Vince
post #1989 of 2201 Old 03-25-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicentezamora View Post

I am just coming to the sad realization that the NC85H does not play all cds continuously, and neither it shuffles play on all discs and frankly, that's the only reason I was exploring a CD changer instead of a single disc player.

Having this function (play all discs) is not a big deal for DVDs, but for CDs is almost essential, so I may exchange my order with Circuit City and buy the NS75 after all.

On Amazon there is a review about the NC85H not doing random on all discs but I didn't realize it didn't do continuuous play either- total FUBAR on Sony's part. I have the costco equivilent model (NS71) to the NS75 and I'm pleased with it's quality sound and PQ.

By the way, I've read mixed reviews on the Samsung HD960 and personally would stay with the NS75.
post #1990 of 2201 Old 03-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose G View Post

On Amazon there is a review about the NC85H not doing random on all discs but I didn't realize it didn't do continuuous play either

I'm 95% that is incorrect. There is a setting for play all discs and repeat one disc in a loop. The machine will certainly play 5 DVD+R's continuously once I stripped out the menus, etc to leave only the movie. Put 5 movies in and the player goes through all 5 without a problem.
post #1991 of 2201 Old 03-25-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect60 View Post

I'm 95% that is incorrect. There is a setting for play all discs and repeat one disc in a loop. The machine will certainly play 5 DVD+R's continuously once I stripped out the menus, etc to leave only the movie. Put 5 movies in and the player goes through all 5 without a problem.

Just to be clear for others who may want this machine as a music player as well as a dvd player, you are saying that this player will play 5 dvds in order and will repeat 1 dvd disc, but will it...
1. ...random play 5 music cd's?
2. ...play 5 music cds in a row?

What I read is that it won't do #1 above.
post #1992 of 2201 Old 03-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't tried with CD's, but since it will play 5 DVD's I assume it will play 5 CD's in continuous order. It sounded like people were starting to make it a single disc unit which isn't true.

I'm pretty sure the random/shuffle is still limited to a single CD as the reviews have indicated and it will not randomly play from all 5 CD's .
post #1993 of 2201 Old 03-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

My 7 year old Toshiba DVD player is having a lot of problems playing both original and burned DVD's lately so I'm looking at buying a new player. How is the Sony NS75 at playing different media? DVD-R, +R, DL etc. Any skips, pauses, lockups?

I have an Infocus 4805 projector which has an onboard Faroudja processor and I'm feeding it a 480i signal via component cables. I'll be doing the same with the NS75 if I get it. Some people have said if you're only doing 480i then any low end player will do but I really want a player that can READ ANYTHING! Is it worth paying extra for the NS75 if I am only going to output 480i to my projector?

One last question, people keep talking about how the sound is so much better with the NS75 than their "old" player. Are you sure your mind is not playing tricks on you? I can't see how one DVD player can "sound" any better than another. They all pipe a digital signal to the receiver and the receiver is responisble for doing the decoding, channel seperation etc. How can the NS75 make the sound "better"? It's just a bunch of 1's and 0's, not like the NS75 is going to send a better quality 1 or 0! Can anyone explain?
post #1994 of 2201 Old 03-26-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

The Oppo is better than the Sony for everything except region 1 DVD-V playback over HDMI and if region 1 DVD-V over HDMI is all you need, I consider the two equal and very good for a budget player, I have both.

Chris

My buddy has teh OPPO and it looks great. However, there are small black bars at the top and bottom on it. Is that compression inherent to the SONY as well, or will it fill the complete 16x9 screen? I don't need all the extras from the OPPO, so leaning towards the SONY as it's $109 at CC right now. ($10 off)

Tony
post #1995 of 2201 Old 03-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Black bars usually indicate a DVD that's not a perfect 16:9. Many are 2.35:1 or other ratios. Some DVD players, and some TVs, give some options on dealing with non-16:9 DVDs, but almost all involve either stretching (distortion) or cropping (losing parts of the picture). Which is "right" depends on the consumer - PERSONALLY I want the DVD the way it was recorded, not stretched or cropped.

Doug
post #1996 of 2201 Old 03-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownShadow View Post

...My 7 year old Toshiba DVD player is having a lot of problems playing both original and burned DVD's lately so I'm looking at buying a new player. How is the Sony NS75 at playing different media? DVD-R, +R, DL etc. Any skips, pauses, lockups?...

Can verify DVD+/-Rs, but not DL. It has played everything I've thrown at it so far. Burned DVDs, CDs, MP3 CDs, and photo CDs. In fact, that's why I bought the sony. My old player was locking up on DVDs burned at anything faster than 4X, expecially 16X.

Can't help with the sound because I upgraded the receiver at the same time. Both DVD player and receiver went from analog to digital, so that's the difference I'm hearing.

Rob
post #1997 of 2201 Old 03-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

I'm fairly sure I've played commercial DL DVDs in my NS75H, but can't be absolutely sure. I've definitely played other commercial DVDs, and both -R and +R DVDs written by iDVD (or cloned from the iDVD original via Disk Utility and an image file.)

Doug
post #1998 of 2201 Old 03-26-2007, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
As most here know, the NS75H leaves it's "zoom amount" icon on-screen if the ZOOM function is initiated. While I don't use this much, I do have a few older DVDs that are not "widescreen-enhanced". The letterbox image is formatted for 4:3 screens.

While I can "blow up" these DVDs using the aspect function of my set, I'd prefer using the player's ZOOM function. It allows any subtitle info to still be seen on screen and seems to give me a tad bit better PQ.

And before anyone chimes in....yes, I know...the Oppos don't leave the ZOOM icon on during playback. Neither did my old Panny 5 disc changer. Not gonna ditch my Sony just because of this little quibble. The ZOOM icon isn't even an issue 99.9% of the time.

Anyway, I spoke with a Sony online CSR today. Said I should try setting the 75H output to 480i and use my set's wide/16x9 Zoom function. Since I'm not near my TV or DVD player right now, what would this do? Send out a vertically "stretched" image that the 16x9 zoom on the TV will fill out? And does the 75H even output 480i over HDMI?

Get the feeling the Sony drone was talking out his anus. But maybe I'm wrong.

Any thoughts?

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #1999 of 2201 Old 03-27-2007, 04:06 AM

I have the 85H changer and I'm very happy with the picture. However, I have a question about the audio out settings. I have the audio into my receiver via HDMI, and all it ever shows is "2-channel audio." Audio from my cable box (also via HDMI) shows "5.1 audio" on the HD channels.

Is the 2-channel audio normal from the 85H/75H, or is there an audio setting I need to change? Or do I need to connect the audio differently to get all the channels?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
post #2000 of 2201 Old 03-27-2007, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Eldred View Post

Black bars usually indicate a DVD that's not a perfect 16:9. Many are 2.35:1 or other ratios. Some DVD players, and some TVs, give some options on dealing with non-16:9 DVDs, but almost all involve either stretching (distortion) or cropping (losing parts of the picture). Which is "right" depends on the consumer - PERSONALLY I want the DVD the way it was recorded, not stretched or cropped.

Doug

Ok, not what I'm talking about at all. I know the difference in aspect ratios. The OPPO has a problem where there are black bars at the top and bottom...it's a known problem and OPPO has a fix coming. The old SONY (the 70H maybe?) had this problem as well. I was curious if the 75H had the problem or if it completely filled the screen when watching a 16x9 movie (not even talking 2.35:1 here).

EDIT: I just remembered that I asked this question months ago and did a search. I just found the reply that the Image Shift problem from the 70 has been fixed on the 71, 75 and 85.

Tony
post #2001 of 2201 Old 03-27-2007, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

Ok, not what I'm talking about at all. I know the difference in aspect ratios. The OPPO has a problem where there are black bars at the top and bottom...it's a known problem and OPPO has a fix coming. The old SONY (the 70H maybe?) had this problem as well. I was curious if the 75H had the problem or if it completely filled the screen when watching a 16x9 movie (not even talking 2.35:1 here).

EDIT: I just remembered that I asked this question months ago and did a search. I just found the reply that the Image Shift problem from the 70 has been fixed on the 71, 75 and 85.

I have both the NS75H and the Oppo DV970HD and it is correct that the Oppo has the vertical squeeze problem, maybe 3% - 5% and it is a serious problem that I expect Oppo to fix. The NS75H does not have the problem.

Chris
post #2002 of 2201 Old 03-27-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

I have both the NS75H and the Oppo DV970HD and it is correct that the Oppo has the vertical squeeze problem, maybe 3% - 5% and it is a serious problem that I expect Oppo to fix. The NS75H does not have the problem.

Chris

I heard Oppo has a Beta firmware fix now, but they aren't happy with the results. I'm curious, since the Sony and Oppo use the same mediatek chipset, is Sony's fix not up to par for what Oppo wants for their fix, or am I talking apples and oranges here?

Tony
post #2003 of 2201 Old 03-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

As most here know, the NS75H leaves it's "zoom amount" icon on-screen if the ZOOM function is initiated. While I don't use this much, I do have a few older DVDs that are not "widescreen-enhanced". The letterbox image is formatted for 4:3 screens.

While I can "blow up" these DVDs using the aspect function of my set, I'd prefer using the player's ZOOM function. It allows any subtitle info to still be seen on screen and seems to give me a tad bit better PQ.

And before anyone chimes in....yes, I know...the Oppos don't leave the ZOOM icon on during playback. Neither did my old Panny 5 disc changer. Not gonna ditch my Sony just because of this little quibble. The ZOOM icon isn't even an issue 99.9% of the time.

Anyway, I spoke with a Sony online CSR today. Said I should try setting the 75H output to 480i and use my set's wide/16x9 Zoom function. Since I'm not near my TV or DVD player right now, what would this do? Send out a vertically "stretched" image that the 16x9 zoom on the TV will fill out? And does the 75H even output 480i over HDMI?

Get the feeling the Sony drone was talking out his anus. But maybe I'm wrong.

Any thoughts?

It can't do 480i over HDMI. Unfortunately, using the ZOOM on your TV is your only option (without the 2x display). I'd leave it on your TV's native resolution (720P - 1080i) for the best possible PQ and ZOOM in on the TV. You're gonna get degraded PQ when zooming in whether on the DVD player or the TV. If the subtitles are displayed in the bottom letterbox, you'll loose them.

My TV has a full setting, which just stretches the sides to fill the 16X9. This leaves the top and bottom letterbox. The next step is called ZOOM which is almost perfect for 4X3 letterbox content. It still crops the image about an inch all around, but fills the screen.

Hope that helps,
Rob
post #2004 of 2201 Old 03-27-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo1 View Post

I have the 85H changer and I'm very happy with the picture. However, I have a question about the audio out settings. I have the audio into my receiver via HDMI, and all it ever shows is "2-channel audio." Audio from my cable box (also via HDMI) shows "5.1 audio" on the HD channels.

Is the 2-channel audio normal from the 85H/75H, or is there an audio setting I need to change? Or do I need to connect the audio differently to get all the channels?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

There are audio setting in the setup menu that you need to change to get 5.1 Bitstream for DD and DTS. These are described in the manual.
post #2005 of 2201 Old 03-27-2007, 10:05 AM

Will this DVD player play DVD-Audio discs?
post #2006 of 2201 Old 03-27-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

There are audio setting in the setup menu that you need to change to get 5.1 Bitstream for DD and DTS. These are described in the manual.

Thanks so much, Mr. Salad! I'm looking at my receiver's manual and it may not accept 96 kHz over the HDMI (1.1), but it looks like it will accept it over optical.

I'll try it tonight!

Tom
post #2007 of 2201 Old 03-27-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post

It can't do 480i over HDMI. Unfortunately, using the ZOOM on your TV is your only option (without the 2x display). I'd leave it on your TV's native resolution (720P - 1080i) for the best possible PQ and ZOOM in on the TV. You're gonna get degraded PQ when zooming in whether on the DVD player or the TV. If the subtitles are displayed in the bottom letterbox, you'll loose them.

My TV has a full setting, which just stretches the sides to fill the 16X9. This leaves the top and bottom letterbox. The next step is called ZOOM which is almost perfect for 4X3 letterbox content. It still crops the image about an inch all around, but fills the screen.

Hope that helps,
Rob

Thanks, Rob. Figured as much.

When I really think about it, the only time this is truly an issue is when watching the "original" Star Wars Trilogy (ie--the kinda crappy unaltered laserdisc ports that came out last year)--which is prettty rare since I actually tend to prefer the "new" cuts more, believe it or not. The alien language subtitle stuff from SW and JEDI gets cut off when zooming the image from my TV, since they're in the lower section of the letterbox.

My old Panny changer zoomed w/o a constant on-screen icon and repositioned any subtitle info so that you could see it just fine. No go on both counts with the otherwise fine 75H. However, PQ of zoomed video (either with the 75H or the TV) is actually better via the Sony than the old player.

But, I've seen those flicks so much...well, I already know what Greedo says to Solo before he gets blasted (and DOESN'T shoot first )

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #2008 of 2201 Old 03-27-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo1 View Post

Thanks so much, Mr. Salad! I'm looking at my receiver's manual and it may not accept 96 kHz over the HDMI (1.1), but it looks like it will accept it over optical.

I'll try it tonight!

Tom

What you'll need to do, if not already done, in the audio setup menu is to change Dolby Digital to Dolby Digital rather than the default of D-PCM. This will give you full 5.1 Dolby Digital. Also, set DTS to On rather than the default of Off. This will give you full 5.1 Dolby Digital. These are in the audio settings menus in the NS75. These are on page 70 in the NC85 manual so they should be about the same place in the NS75 manual.
post #2009 of 2201 Old 03-28-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell1 View Post

Will this DVD player play DVD-Audio discs?

anyone?
post #2010 of 2201 Old 03-28-2007, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
a 3 second Google search tells me NO, it won't play DVD-Audio.

"Life is a toy, play with it"
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page