Sony DVP-NS75H - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 2201 Old 07-11-2007, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sorry if this question has been asked repeatedly....but will the 5 disc dvd changer version of this (the "85") have the same zoom issues as the "75"?

i picked up the 75 knowing that there was a zoom issue with leaving the zoom icon on the display and the sales rep that helped me told me it wouldn't stay on perminantly...which it does

I'm returning it for somethng else....even tho I love the PQ with the "75"...

if i upgrade to the "85" 5 disc changer wll it have that same annoying "zoom" icon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2201 Old 07-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

The 85 leaves the zoom icon up also. Sorry.
Rob
post #2163 of 2201 Old 07-11-2007, 12:48 PM

thanks for your response Rob....very appreciated

the 75 is great...can't believe Sony would make a unit with that icon being left on there like that....terrible design flaw
post #2164 of 2201 Old 07-11-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pauly View Post

thanks for your response Rob....very appreciated

the 75 is great...can't believe Sony would make a unit with that icon being left on there like that....terrible design flaw

Perhaps it is a design flaw but for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would want to watch a movie in the zoom mode. I can understand zooming in on an area or part of a frame to try to see something but to actually watch a movie in this mode would not be an enjoyable experience for me. For me the icon is a non-issue but do you have a zoom function on your tv that you could use instead?

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #2165 of 2201 Old 07-11-2007, 01:09 PM

well if your a plasma owner then you understand why you'd wanna zoom when watching a 2.34 (aspect ratio) DVD

I only understood after buying my plasma that the black bars on top/bottom will cause burn-in
post #2166 of 2201 Old 07-11-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well if your a plasma owner then you understand why you'd wanna zoom when watching a 2.34 (aspect ratio) DVD

I only understood after buying my plasma that the black bars on top/bottom will cause burn-in

I understand your concern about burn-in however watching a movie with black bars is not going to cause burn-in. I have a Panasonic plasma that has displayed black bars and pillar boxes galore with no problem. You may be right to be concerned during the 100 hour break-in period on your plasma but after that you can feel free to do anything you want with the display without fear of burn-in. Enjoy your display.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #2167 of 2201 Old 07-11-2007, 02:03 PM

really?

I've read countless times that the black bars on the display are going to casue burn-in..

I want to believe you..hahaa but I don't have $3000 to throw away on a maybe

I've read conflicting info that it does burn in and maybe it doesn't....I honestly don't know what to believe anymore so I figure it's better to be safe...

if theres any proof you can give me on this I would really appreciate it...

I appreciate your reply BTW...

I'm so paranoid now.....

here's my question then.....

if you say theres no burn in with the black bars.....perhaps I'll hang on to my Sony "75" and not worry about the black bars when viewing 2.34 movies

I just figured I needed to get a dvd player with the zoom feature to avoid the black bars...

you've thrown me for a loop here now......how long have you had your Plasma?....if you've had it for years and still don't have burn-in with the black bars then you've made me a believer

cheers
post #2168 of 2201 Old 07-11-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Zoomng an image (for me at least) is only an issue when watching older, non-anamorphic (4:3 letterboxed) DVDs.

I still have a couple of older titles that are this way, although I have replaced most with their newer double-dips for this very reason.

My old copies of M:I, OFFICE SPACE, DAZED & CONFUSED, SCREAM to name a few have ben swapped for their newer anamorphic editions.

The only real holdout for me now are the unaltered SW Trilogy discs, which while having been released last year are the old 4:3 letterbox LD transfers. Usually just leave 'em as the rectangular letterbox form instead of zooming. My old Panny player, OTOH, had several preset as well as manual zoom functions. You could get just about any movie "zoomed" properly and not lose subtitles (it would just reposition them). Still a loss in PQ when zooming, though.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #2169 of 2201 Old 07-11-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

really?

I've read countless times that the black bars on the display are going to casue burn-in..

I want to believe you..hahaa but I don't have $3000 to throw away on a maybe

I've read conflicting info that it does burn in and maybe it doesn't....I honestly don't know what to believe anymore so I figure it's better to be safe...

if theres any proof you can give me on this I would really appreciate it...

I appreciate your reply BTW...

I'm so paranoid now.....

here's my question then.....

if you say theres no burn in with the black bars.....perhaps I'll hang on to my Sony "75" and not worry about the black bars when viewing 2.34 movies

I just figured I needed to get a dvd player with the zoom feature to avoid the black bars...

you've thrown me for a loop here now......how long have you had your Plasma?....if you've had it for years and still don't have burn-in with the black bars then you've made me a believer

cheers

Those bars CAN be burned into your plasma or CRT phospors. The trick is to not leave them on screen for HOURS on end and to keep your contrast out of "torch mode". A movie or two every day or so, with contrast kept at reasonable levels should be OK. Just be sure to have plenty of full 16x9 images on screen whenever your set is on and you're not watching anything specific with black bars anywhere.

My 1st HD set was a Hitachi 43UWX10B CRT RPTV. After about 5+ yrs of use, I noticed burn-in from black 4:3 sidebars generated by my HD cable box when tuning into SD channels. This was also in conjunction with it's Perfect Picture setting set to ON for the majority of it's life (the function used a light sensor to auto-adjust picture levels based on ambient lighting. It also locked Contrast btwn 70-100 at all times. Adjusting Contrast in the user menu was impossible with this on). Those black bars did burn into the phospors, but far from overnight.

Have read/heard that for both plasma and CRT, it's a good idea to keep any static burn-in-able images on screen as little as possible during the 1st 100 hrs or so. After that, you can be a little less cautious.

Maybe just try an avoid 10-12 hr movie marathons of 2.35:1 or greater ratio movies...and keep the contrast down.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #2170 of 2201 Old 07-11-2007, 02:22 PM

thanks for your advice/response....

I just don't know if I can risk 3k on a maybe...

I'd rather not take the chance...

I'm under no illusions that I will eventually have to get another TV...this thing won't last forever....but I need to do the things nessasary to keep it going as long as possible..

I only use it for movies....no video games...no cable tv

I'm just too paranoid now...hahaa

the kick in the pants is I can only exchange the player for the other options in the store....and everything else they have isn't as good as the "75"...

my other options in the store is the Samsung DVD1080p or the Panasonic S53K

I really don't want to switch playeers...the "75" is jsut awesome in terms of PQ....

any idea if the Panasonic player is decent?

thanks again for the reply
post #2171 of 2201 Old 07-11-2007, 02:54 PM

Hello I am thinking about picking this Sony player up this week. My Tv is a Hitachi 57" CRT with a DVI input not HDMI. My Reciever is AN Onkyo HT-R520. Currently I am using my xbox 360 as a DVD player. Anyone have any idea if this would be a better quality picture. I would hook it up through DVI with an HDMI adapter. Unfortunately this means my Dtv HD box would have to go back to Component cables but I honestly dont see much difference between the two. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
post #2172 of 2201 Old 07-11-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for your advice/response....

I just don't know if I can risk 3k on a maybe...

I'd rather not take the chance...

I'm under no illusions that I will eventually have to get another TV...this thing won't last forever....but I need to do the things nessasary to keep it going as long as possible..

I only use it for movies....no video games...no cable tv

I'm just too paranoid now...hahaa

the kick in the pants is I can only exchange the player for the other options in the store....and everything else they have isn't as good as the "75"...

my other options in the store is the Samsung DVD1080p or the Panasonic S53K

I really don't want to switch playeers...the "75" is jsut awesome in terms of PQ....

any idea if the Panasonic player is decent?

thanks again for the reply

Could check the threads here. I know the Panny has one dedicated to it. The real judge, however, are your own 2 eyes.

Haven't played with the Panny in question, but the others I have used over the last couple of years had similar zoom options to the ones I mentioned. See if the retailer will hook one up for you, if only to play w/ the zoom bits.

Still don't think you need to worry about the 2.35:1 black bars, though. Keep the contrast low and watch some 1.85:1 movies as well....you should be fine.

Burn in, from what I've seen/heard, is more an issue with static stuff like news channel tickers, video games HUD's, and the more commonly seen 4:3 sidebars. Doesn't mean the horizontal ones aren't...they are just less likely to be static day after day like the other images can be and ofter are with typical TV watching--movies or otherwise.

Even if you watch only movies on your set, it's doubtful that every movie you will watch is going to be in the same aspect ratio. Hell, any movie pre-1953 or so is going to be in 4:3 ratio. There were no "widescreen" movies until after the dawn of the TV age.

Besides, even the best player or TV will degrade the PQ when zooming.

post #2173 of 2201 Old 07-11-2007, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

cheers

I've had my Panasonic plasma for 13 months now and except for the first hundred hours I have just taken things as they come. I watch plenty of movies with black bars on top and bottom. I watch SD programming with black pillars on the sides. I've had no problem with burn-in or image retention. In theory burn-in is possible but the chances of it occurring are very remote. The odds of getting burn-in on a plasma display are no greater than getting them on a regular tube tv. Here are some links with information.

Look at myth 6: http://pcworld.about.com/od/consumer...d-and-Conf.htm

http://www.hedmag.com/The-Latest-The...ma-Myths-2.asp

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...ogId=13401#tv5

post #2174 of 2201 Old 07-12-2007, 03:09 AM

Does anybody here have any info on the new line of Sonys'. Other than a slight cosmetic change and 1080p, what's the difference. Hopefully no ZOOM icon left on for all eternity
post #2175 of 2201 Old 07-12-2007, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoserBeater View Post

Does anybody here have any info on the new line of Sonys'. Other than a slight cosmetic change and 1080p, what's the difference. Hopefully no ZOOM icon left on for all eternity

Only a few threads away...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=872367
post #2176 of 2201 Old 07-12-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

I've had my Panasonic plasma for 13 months now and except for the first hundred hours I have just taken things as they come. I watch plenty of movies with black bars on top and bottom. I watch SD programming with black pillars on the sides. I've had no problem with burn-in or image retention. In theory burn-in is possible but the chances of it occurring are very remote. The odds of getting burn-in on a plasma display are no greater than getting them on a regular tube tv. Here are some links with information.

Look at myth 6: http://pcworld.about.com/od/consumer...d-and-Conf.htm

http://www.hedmag.com/The-Latest-The...ma-Myths-2.asp

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...ogId=13401#tv5

thanks alot for the links........I guess I can relax a little

still going to be overly cautious tho..lol
post #2177 of 2201 Old 07-14-2007, 08:39 AM

Liked: 12
I have a Panny 75U with a Sony NS75H hooked up to it via hdmi. If I want to get rid of the black bars on dvd, the "zoom" function on the plasma works fine. Oddly enough, this was not the case for my Panny HDD dvd recorder. The zoom function of the tv made the image look "squished". Everybody looked too tall and thin! That's why I picked up the Sony.
post #2178 of 2201 Old 08-16-2007, 12:34 PM

Thinking about picking one of these up. Do I need surround sound or a receiver to output audio. Waiting till christmas to get a surround sound system and I would be running this player directly to my panny plasma and using the stock speakers on the 75U for DVD audio. Does this player still work for me?
post #2179 of 2201 Old 08-16-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhood View Post

Thinking about picking one of these up. Do I need surround sound or a receiver to output audio. Waiting till christmas to get a surround sound system and I would be running this player directly to my panny plasma and using the stock speakers on the 75U for DVD audio. Does this player still work for me?

Yes
post #2180 of 2201 Old 08-18-2007, 06:36 PM

I just purchased the HD DVD version of Digital Video Essentials or DVE (it contains both regular and HD DVD version) for my Sony DVP-NS75H connected straight to my Sony KDL-52XBR2 1080p Flat screen LCD TV through a 4 meter Monster HDMI300 cable. What do the main settings get set to? Like are you supposed to use standard, or cinema 1 or 2, the sharpness and noise reducing settings etc? And is the quick setup good enough, or do I got to set something special in the custom one? So basically what does everything get set to?

Thanks.
post #2181 of 2201 Old 09-01-2007, 06:43 PM

So, I bought this dvd player over a year ago (mid august '06).

well, all of a sudden the dvd player is having a hard time loading movies. sometimes it will load them no problem, sometimes it will take a long time, and sometimes i will have to turn the unit on and off/ ejecting and the disc back and forth to get it to finally load.

whats the deal?

i bought one of those dvd lense cleaner things at wallymart - doesn't seem to help.

Am i s.o.l.? do you think Sony will extend my warranty a couple weeks if I call them this Tues after labor day?

ty in advance.
post #2182 of 2201 Old 09-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaquila View Post

Am i s.o.l.? do you think Sony will extend my warranty a couple weeks if I call them this Tues after labor day?

Honestly I think you are out of luck; I've never heard of Sony doing anything out of warranty, even with DVD players they've sold that have had horrendous known problems with the optics.
post #2183 of 2201 Old 09-03-2007, 04:13 PM

So I hook this up via HDMI cable to my Sony KV-34HS420 CRT HDTV and the resolution was worse than my regular progressive scan Sony DVP-NS775V hooked up via component cables.

Anyone have an idea what the problem is? Do I need to adjust the settings somehow?

Ive tried changing the resolution from the auto to 1080i and 720p and didnt notice any improvement.

Maybe this only works on LCD/Plasmas?

I didnt expect to see a huge difference, but definitly did not expect to see noticably worse resolution.
post #2184 of 2201 Old 09-03-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyak View Post

So I hook this up via HDMI cable to my Sony KV-34HS420 CRT HDTV and the resolution was worse than my regular progressive scan Sony DVP-NS775V hooked up via component cables.

It sounds like the scaler in the TV is better than the one in the DVD player. I wouldn't find this highly unusual since the scaling function on this player is average. If you know someone that has an OPPO that you could borrow, it would be a good test.

Otherwise, return the player and stick with the progressive scan Sony you were using before. Better picture (to your eyes...where it counts) and you save some money in the process.

To get a true improvement in picture, you need to go HD DVD or Blu-ray Disc

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #2185 of 2201 Old 09-11-2007, 07:23 PM

What do I use? Cinema 1, Cinema 2 or standard? Help, Please? Thanks.
post #2186 of 2201 Old 09-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HailTheHD View Post

What do I use? Cinema 1, Cinema 2 or standard? Help, Please? Thanks.

Most people are using Cinema 1, I believe. But, of course, it depends on what you think looks best.
post #2187 of 2201 Old 09-27-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm using Cinema 1. I played with the sharpness setting and it looked better at sharpness 1. At sharpness 0 (off?), the picture was "soft".

For those who have calibrated, can you post your settings?
post #2188 of 2201 Old 11-01-2007, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I am thinking about selling this dvd player because I want to upgrade. Any buyers? any places to sell something like this for a good price?
post #2189 of 2201 Old 11-01-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofer View Post

I am thinking about selling this dvd player because I want to upgrade. Any buyers? any places to sell something like this for a good price?

Are you planning on hopping on that $98.87 deal at Walmart tomorrow for the Toshiba HD A2? The sale starts at 8AM.

post #2190 of 2201 Old 11-01-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

Are you planning on hopping on that $98.87 deal at Walmart tomorrow for the Toshiba HD A2? The sale starts at 8AM.

I sold my Sony after I bought the HD-A2 and saw how much of a better job it does at upconverting...especially with my 100" screen.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page