Denon DVD-3930 & DVD-2930 w/Realta T2 Chip Coming September- - Page 165 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4921 of 4938 Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiselchinmadne View Post

] I have a 2930ci that I bought at an estate sale a few months ago for $25! I love it. I'm suspicious that I may have missed something as the directions said that step must be complete or the laser wouldn't read properly. Does anyone have any expertise with this? If so pass it on! If I find out anything else I will pass it on as well.
if you want a like-new player, I would just consider sending your unit to Denon technical service in Mahwah NJ and have them replace the laser with another new unit and properly calibrate everything. I think it would be worth the ($300.00) cost to have a very nice sounding player, being you aquired it for only $25.00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4922 of 4938 Old 07-17-2013, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

if you want a like-new player, I would just consider sending your unit to Denon technical service in Mahwah NJ and have them replace the laser with another new unit and properly calibrate everything. I think it would be worth the ($300.00) cost to have a very nice sounding player, being you aquired it for only $25.00

I can't recommend replacing the laser if it is working. My laser has caused me no problems for many years. Others, on this forum have replaced theirs more than once. Why risk replacing a good laser with one doomed for failure? Just my $0.02.
post #4923 of 4938 Old 07-18-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
A WARNING TO DENON OWNERS...
Just a bit of advice to current Denon DVD 3930CI (and age appropriate players) owners. The Denon is an older design and as such, supported HDMI 1.1 protocol. I have enjoyed using the Denon with my Onkyo TX-NR905 and TX-NR906 (both HDMI 1.3 receivers). I recently bought a Pioneer SC-67 receiver (HDMI 1.4) and cannot get the player to work correctly. I can get video but no sound through HDMI. Note that I am using a front projector for display, which has no audio.

I tested the Denon player with my Panasonic plasma (HDMI 1.3) and Sony WEGA and the audio was fine, no issues. I changed the inputs on the AVR and swapped out cables with no luck. I thought that the Pioneer was bad so I took it out of my system to ship for repair and replaced it with a Denon AVR2808CI. Guess what? Same problems, picture but no sound with the Denon player. I had no issues with an Oppo, Pioneer or PS3 Blu-Ray players.

I talked with a friend who install systems and he told me that HDMI 1.1 had a very crude handshaking for audio as it was designed for primarily for video. He also found out that several HDMI 1.1 players would not work with the latest generations of AVRs when used with displays that do not have audio capability. He said the ONLY way to get them to work was to have the Denon output video through the HDMI and then output the audio through either the analog, coax or TosLink (optical) connection. It appears the HDMI is waiting for the display to handshake the audio signal but it cannot since it does not have any audio capability. He also mentioned that since my projector is an older unit (JVC RS-1 with HDMI 1.2), a newer projector with a later version of HDMI may work.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #4924 of 4938 Old 07-18-2013, 02:02 PM

Of course, one can always use the Denon Link 3 for audio. biggrin.gif
post #4925 of 4938 Old 07-22-2013, 03:51 AM

Well, i bought an 3930 from europe 3 to 4 years, NEW and since day 1 he doens-te like some DVD originals, and for dvdr's it does not acept 90% of them!
I read somewhere that the Sanyo HD65 laser is a replacemnet for this.

Is the original DENON laser a HD65 to? OR WHAT?

and some people change that lase head for the HD65 because the older is older or the older is junk being new from the 3930?

Let me know
post #4926 of 4938 Old 07-22-2013, 04:04 AM

I mean if with the Sanyo Laser Head HD65 the denon 3930 will be reading DVD originals and DVDR's with no stress, or it's just the stock sub for the denon 3930 poor desgin laser! It cannot read some orignal dvd's... since day one...
post #4927 of 4938 Old 08-08-2013, 02:56 AM

Well i ordered the SF-HD 65

Because my 3930 bought new half the price in 2009 and not used much (maybe 30 hours a year) was refusing to read originals dvd/cd's in the last few months.
Go on the web to find what the problem was, CHINA. Not surprisingly! biggrin.gif

Since the 2910-2930-3910-3930 age that JAPAN had labour done in CHINA. (For what i read the transistors on the laser assembly will go dead after a hundred hours maybe more) and need to be changed!

The Laser part is the weakest link on those players, and being a small DIY guy i put my hand on it!

SO:

-YOu need to remove the antistaic protection for the laser to work.. Simply remove the solder ball with an hot solder iron and make sure the tracks do not have solder!

After the hardware change you need to reset the software/hardware!

-Turn off not standy
-Turn on while pressing PLAY + SKIP FOWARD
-Display show INITIALIZE , turn off then after
-Set the customs preferences again, don't use HDMI now because reseting will make HDMI off.

Have joy! AGAIN!

(The 3930 inside got ELNA SILMIC capacitors... now i know what brand/model to change my capacitors on my audio card, it will make a drastic but not night and day diference for better audio from the PC)
post #4928 of 4938 Old 08-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Good job! My ebay-bought laser is still working after replacement a couple years ago. Already lasted more than the original one...
post #4929 of 4938 Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 AM

-This was the box that came? or diferent? How much did it cost to you to have an idea? I am affraid mine should be a fake ones... but hey..now works! The original won't... eek.gif
post #4930 of 4938 Old 08-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mine was even worse looking - just a white cardboard one. Because of the low price, I got two of them, just to be "safe" smile.gif
This was I have another experience - on another player (Yamaha) the first laser was bad and I had to wait for the second one to be send - that second one worked tough.
post #4931 of 4938 Old 08-13-2013, 02:43 AM

Wo you are saying that with the cardboard laser package you got more runtime play without errors then the original laser... we are talking about how much hours of play?
Can say somekind close?
For i to have expectations for mine.
So far she eats all i put in their like a Philips! FAST and reliable all cd's/cdr's/DVD's/dvd'rs! eek.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

Mine was even worse looking - just a white cardboard one. Because of the low price, I got two of them, just to be "safe" smile.gif
This was I have another experience - on another player (Yamaha) the first laser was bad and I had to wait for the second one to be send - that second one worked tough.
post #4932 of 4938 Old 08-14-2013, 09:13 PM

first time posting so I hope I do this right. I had set aside my 3930 after getting an Oppo 83 but now have put it back in service as an audio player. The links to the firmware updates listed in this forum give me a file not found msg. Am I doing something wrong. If not, does anyone have a different link to the updates?

thanks
post #4933 of 4938 Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randers1avs View Post

first time posting so I hope I do this right. I had set aside my 3930 after getting an Oppo 83 but now have put it back in service as an audio player. The links to the firmware updates listed in this forum give me a file not found msg. Am I doing something wrong. If not, does anyone have a different link to the updates?

thanks

If what you want is FIRMWARE ? Only go for the original....

Go to Denon.com

Choose your country or continent.... smile.gif

Then downloads, then firmwares....

Then yes, then next

Now choose:
MODEL: DVD-3930 in Europe by the way, mine! smile.gif
COLOR:Black, Mine smile.gif
SERIAL: Get your ass down to the 3930 and on the back read and write on a paper the serial, and then wirte it on that place

Voilá. Download the firmware.
post #4934 of 4938 Old 08-15-2013, 09:25 PM

Hi Targeting,
thanks for the reply. The US page only shows pdfs, the serial protocol, a product info sheet, user manuals in two languages, and ir codes, but not the firmware upgrades. The EU site requires a serial number and it doesn't recognize mine probably because its a US unit. From what the Dutchman has written, it appears Denon EU trusts their customers more than the Denon US, but thanks again for the info. If it is still visible on the EU site would would anyone with an EU sn be willing to PM your sn so I could go on the EU site and get the firmware? It is a lot to ask and I ask only after searching for days fro an alternative.
post #4935 of 4938 Old 08-15-2013, 09:35 PM

forgot to add, the products update and upgrade section only lists current products. I tried selecting one of the DVD products and putting in my sn and it indicated it did not match.
post #4936 of 4938 Old 09-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Write to Denon US an email, I did and they did send me a CD-R for my DVD-2930.
post #4937 of 4938 Old 09-24-2013, 04:52 AM

What version number is your firmware from Denon? Or the name of the file?
Thanks
post #4938 of 4938 Old 12-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

For the DVD-2930?
GEN8283-F_A15_DVD2930CI_2930.zip
Inside, a folder named DVD_2930 containing the file named D293SAVD.ROM
But... it comes with an EULA that says it a trade secret and enforces a NDA - prohibits me from transferring it.

For the DVD-3930 I don't have an updated firmware.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page