Philips DVP 5960 HDMI DIVX player - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 409 Old 07-17-2006, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfthomp View Post

Well, chalk me up for another one with this problem. Just got my HDMI cable for this DVD player over the weekend and hooked it up. I also have a coax digital out connected to my receiver. When I use the HDMI cable, I get 2 channel stereo, when I unplug the HDMI from the back of the DVD player, the sound instantly changes to full surround sound. I have yet to get in touch with Philips about this issue. Any help would be great!

I had this player for a few days before abandoning it due to its lack of 4:3 pillarbox support. Anyway, I don't remember exactly but there may be a setting for turning off HDMI audio. Or, IIRC, there is an audio setting that you set to "All". Its probably in the manual. Sorry I can't be more specific.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 409 Old 07-17-2006, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled1 View Post

I had this player for a few days before abandoning it due to its lack of 4:3 pillarbox support. Anyway, I don't remember exactly but there may be a setting for turning off HDMI audio. Or, IIRC, there is an audio setting that you set to "All". Its probably in the manual. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Thanks for the response, I will look through the manual again tonite. Maybe I missed something with it yesterday. What does "IIRC" mean?
post #33 of 409 Old 07-17-2006, 10:11 AM

I posted the same question on videohelp.com. Just wondering if anyone here has noticed audio and video going out of sync. while playing avi's through the USB port.

I just bought this dvd player and absolutly love how you can play DivX/XviD through the USB port.

I have a 2G thumb drive that I can copy my AVI file into and watch. No need to burn cd/dvd.

Only problem that I have seen is that the sound seems to go out of sync. a little when watching avi through the USB thumb drive. Pausing and restarting seems to sync. it up again but it goes out sync. after a while. The sync. isn't too bad but its just enouhg to be a little annoying. Sync. is just fine when the same file is played through the cd. Anyone else notice this? Any way to fix it? BTW, my thumb drive is formated with the FAT32 FS.

Thanks.

post #34 of 409 Old 07-26-2006, 08:21 AM

I still have not been able to figure out how to get the surround sound from the digital coax audio out working when using the HDMI cable for video. Is there a setting on my TV or receiver I need to set to get this to work?

What happens now, is when the HDMI cable is plugged in the back, the receiver only gets 2 channel stereo. The moment I unplug the HDMI from the back of the DVD player, the receiver starts outputting in surround sound. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
post #35 of 409 Old 07-26-2006, 02:40 PM

I can't post a link to the thread because I'm new (I guess you have to submit 5 postings before you can include URLs) so here is a quote from avforums:

Originally Posted by Akcron
Thank you for your recent e-mail.

With regards to your query we can advise that a solution will me made
available shortly which will enable use to receive 5.1 when you
connect using HDMI.

The solution is a software upgrade which can be downloaded from

We trust that the information provided will be of assistance.

Should you require any further information please contact our Customer
Care Centre (details below) quoting customer reference number
50-81972982.

Kind regards,

Philips Customer Care
post #36 of 409 Old 07-26-2006, 05:38 PM

esojmc,

I don't have this player, but it's possible that this player doesn't handle divx/xvid files where the audio is encoded with variable bit rate (VBR) instead of constant bit rate (CBR) very well.

Do you know what type of audio (MP3? AC3?) and bit rate encoding type (VBR or CBR) is used in the files where the audio goes out of sync? If you aren't sure you can use a tool like GSpot or MediaInfo to find out.

If you are familiar with audio and video encoding tools, try this - demux the audio from the video file using a tool like VirtualDubMod. You choose Streams > Stream List from VDubMod's menu, highlight the audio track in the dialog box that appears and click the "Demux" button. Save the audio file where you will find it again.

Then use the audio encoder of your choice to transcode the audio to CBR MP3 (there are free ones out there if you don't have one).

Remux the new audio file with the original video file using VirtualDubMod again. When you remux the audio, you will choose Stream>Stream List from VDubMod's menu and disable the original audio stream in the file by highlighting it and clicking the Disable button. Then click the add button and choose the CBR mp3 file you created. Click OK when you are done.

Save the file under a new name using "direct stream copy" as the video mode so the video isn't re-encoded. The whole process should take just a few minutes.

Copy the new video file to your USB stick and see how audio playback is.

Julie
post #37 of 409 Old 07-27-2006, 12:59 AM

I'm very interested in purchasing this player. My samsung upconverting player has terrible macroblocking due to its DCDi. But I'm a bit hesitant, has anyone been able to use the HDMI video and get 5.1 surround sound to their home theater systems? I know that someone posted a reply from Philips customer service that there's a firewire update and I was just wondering if that fixed the problem. Thanks.
post #38 of 409 Old 07-27-2006, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbliftmachine View Post

I'm very interested in purchasing this player. My samsung upconverting player has terrible macroblocking due to its DCDi. But I'm a bit hesitant, has anyone been able to use the HDMI video and get 5.1 surround sound to their home theater systems? I know that someone posted a reply from Philips customer service that there's a firewire update and I was just wondering if that fixed the problem. Thanks.

I have not been to find this firmware update nor get in contact with anyone at Philips. I'm starting to get a wee bit upset with this situation.
post #39 of 409 Old 07-27-2006, 12:16 PM

I've been checking the philips site daily to see if the update has been released. Probably the more people we can get to complain to them about it the faster it will appear.

Also, if your TV has a digital audio out (optical or other) I'm betting that you could connected the DVD player to the TV via HDMI and then output the TVs audio to your receiver and get DD 5.1. I haven't had a chance to test this out myself though.
post #40 of 409 Old 07-31-2006, 06:30 AM

Just a quick update...Philips tech support is IMPOSSIBLE to get a hold of on the phone. I have been calling for a week and have yet to speak to a real person. I also emailed their support with my problem (no surround sound when HDMI plugged in) and I got a response sending me to the DVP5900 support page. Wonderful. Anyone else have any news on this?
post #41 of 409 Old 07-31-2006, 08:27 PM

I am having the same audio problem. My current setup is a 62" mitsu dlptv. a Pioneer VSX816 reciever an the dvd player is the philipps DVP5960/37. Ok When the hdmi cable is in. I recieve no DD5.1 signal. just the 2 channel. Also I tried running the audio coax cable from the TV to reciever an still just the 2 channel gets through. It registers digital. But no 5.1 signal. OK so I was able to get ahold of philipps tech support. After being transferred through 5 people. This lady " kimberly " came on to pretty rudely tell me that this is how the dvd player is. And I'd have to pick. HDMI cable with no dolby digital. Or use component cables an have the dolby digital. So.. People. What the hell. This doesn't seem right to me. Does anyone have any additional information or shall I just return the unit.
post #42 of 409 Old 08-01-2006, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
In your Audio setup menu try setting it to "All" instead of PCM for Digital Output.
post #43 of 409 Old 08-01-2006, 08:24 AM

As waiting485 suggested, setting Digital Output in the audio setup menu to "All" instead of "PCM Only" does send a DD5.1 signal via audio coax, even when HDMI is connected. But that menu option keeps getting reset to "PCM Only" each time the player is turned off and sometimes even when a new file or disc is played. I'm guessing it will take a firmware update to fix this?
post #44 of 409 Old 08-01-2006, 06:41 PM

ok. Setting the output to all does nothing for me. And also it almost immediately resets itself to PCM. Also, hooking up audio through TV digital coax audio out does nothing but send the 2channel signal from dvd player to tv to reciever. As the PHillips support told me. This is the way it's supposed to act. I urge you all with this problem to get ahold of philipps an try asking for yourself. Maybe enough gripes will get this problem solved. I've looked through every nook an cranny of options an the user manual. And with philipps themselves telling me basically to deal with it. That's not cool !!!. I even mentioned to customer care about hearsay of a FW update. they had no answer to that. Because there isnt a problem according to the multiple people I talked to. I am by no means a newbie to electronics an home theater. an I know i'm not missing anything with the setup an option picking. 1080i looks great on my tv. Too bad I can't enjoy it with dd5.1 buncha crap..lol
post #45 of 409 Old 08-03-2006, 12:51 PM

I just bought one of these guys yesterday and I was happy until I connected the HDMI cable to my HDTV. I can't for the life of me get the resolution higher than 480p. I tried looking up the settings to change it and found nothing that can help me. All the other resolutions are greyed out.

I'm using a Monster HDMI to DVI cable to my Olevia Syntax tv. Is this a digital rights management goof-up that's limiting my resolution??

One person on this thread returned the unit and it worked thereafter but there are others that posted on this thread that still have that problem. Anyone able to shed some light as to how to rememdy this?
post #46 of 409 Old 08-04-2006, 12:37 AM

Just for an update. I have returned my philipps for a samsung unit " dvd-hd860 " an it works flawlessly. Though I feel the philipps might have had a bit of an edge with pic quality. The audio works an this player respondes quicker to remote commands an searches faster. So to everyone with that hdmi audio problem. good luck. don't turn to philipps " at least a woman who works customer care named kimberly " for help
post #47 of 409 Old 08-15-2006, 08:15 AM

I have been trying to hold out until the last possible day before returning this DVD player to CC. I recently sent an e-mail to Philips support. In that e-mail I pointed out that the dvp5900 had exactly the same issue (DD5.1 not working via COAX when connected to a TV using HDMI) and that a firmware update was released to correct that problem and simply asked if they were going to correct the same issue with the DVP5960.

As others have pointed out in this forum Philips support is not just bad it is really bad. I have worked in the support industry for several years and I can tell you that nothing makes people angrier than when you answer a different question than was asked because you don't know the answer to the original question. Below you will find their response:

We understand that you're asking information if there an update that will be released soon for your DVP5960. It was mentioned that will not output DD 5.1 via COAX when connected with an HDMI cable. Lastly, you mentioned that there was a firmware update was provided to resolve the issue with the DVP5900.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Our records show there is no available firmware upgrade for your DVD player as of this time.
post #48 of 409 Old 08-24-2006, 09:10 AM

Philips has posted a firmware upgrade (V 37.06.42.29) for the DVP5960: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...=Link_Software

I could not find any release notes for the upgrade. The upgrade went smoothly. The one change I noticed is that "Lip Sync" has been added to the menu, which allows you to delay the audio upto 200 ms. Also presumably, they fixed the digital audio out with HDMI bug. Not sure because it used to work for me earlier too, perhaps because my I was running the HDMI to a DVI input on my TV (and DVI does not transmit audio). The 8.3 filename restriction still seems the same (at least through the USB port).
post #49 of 409 Old 08-24-2006, 09:37 AM

I get a lip sync issue after the dvd has been paused. If I go back to the menu and reselect the audio output it fixes it, but what a pain that is. I will try this firmware and hopefully that solves that issue.

Also, spoke to the techs at philips the other day and they had no knowledge of a firmware upgrade available at that time.

I think this is a blackhole product for them. Overall I am very dissapointed with its slow reaction time from inputting a command and audio issues.
post #50 of 409 Old 08-24-2006, 01:08 PM

I just did the upgrade and it is doing DD now. It went into some oddball video mode on startup, and the screen was split in half and flashing, so I had to go into the HDMI settings to set it to 1080I to get it to disply correctly. Looks and sounds good now.

My only complaints now are the insanely slow response to remote commands and the slow disc loading.

I can live with it..for a while.
post #51 of 409 Old 08-28-2006, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
yes, the firmware released seems to solve the problem. Someone in this forum earlier wrote that there is no release notes, however there is, see the phillips documentation on the product support page, it shows it all. (Can't post the link as a new member)
post #52 of 409 Old 09-03-2006, 10:27 AM

After updating the firmware, I need to set TV type and hdmi resolution to the correct ones in order to get display. The amazing thing is that this firmware seems to enable DTS output as well! However, after updating it seems that when I play the video the entire screen has been shifted up 1cm so there's a noticable black strip at the buttom when I play full screen DVDs. Did anyone else notice that?
post #53 of 409 Old 09-03-2006, 11:19 AM

ghlu,

I had that issue even before the firmware update. The Cnet_com review notes that they have seen that issue w/ this and other up-converting DVD players.
post #54 of 409 Old 09-04-2006, 03:00 AM

The new firmware upgrade (.34) solves both the DTS stream output as well as the multichannel digital out problem when using HDMI. Plus there is lip sync and one other issue solved. Release notes state these 4 changes.

I upgraded yesterday (Sep 3 2006) and it worked fine. I have DTS ouput stream now!

QubyB
post #55 of 409 Old 09-06-2006, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just bought this player.

I upgraded the firmware to the latest. When connected via HDMI only to a new Samsung 3241D LCD the signal plays for about 20 seconds then cuts out. Pulling the HDMI from the back of the set and reconnecting will restore the signal for another 20 seconds. I have tried two new and different HDMI cables that are 6 feet in length. I doubt that both cables are bad, but I guess it's possible.

If I connect via component cable the player plays fine with no problems.

From various threads I have read there seem to have been HDMI problems in the past, could there still be problems?

-CB
post #56 of 409 Old 09-08-2006, 02:00 PM

I too had a tough time just after updating with the firmware. I had no picture through the HDMI connection. Had to break out the good old yellow wire to get a picture. Too my dismay the HDMI section of the menu was grayed out - you could not select it.

The solution is to simply push the "HD Upscale" button on the face of the player. Why? Good question, but it works! Now go into the setup menu and adjust the HDMI settings to your screen type.

Now 5.1 from player and lip sync options are available in the setup screens.
post #57 of 409 Old 09-08-2006, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pushing HD Upscale did not correct the HDMI problem. There's a real problem with the DVD's HDMI and my TV. I can restore the signal for 20 seconds by yanking the HDMI cable. It reliably cuts out after 20 seconds. That makes me really think there is a HDMI handshake issue that needs to be addressed. I've contacted Philips in hopes they will address in a future firmware update. For now I am stuck with component outputs.

-CB
post #58 of 409 Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QubyB View Post

The new firmware upgrade (.34) solves both the DTS stream output as well as the multichannel digital out problem when using HDMI. Plus there is lip sync and one other issue solved. Release notes state these 4 changes.

I upgraded yesterday (Sep 3 2006) and it worked fine. I have DTS ouput stream now!

QubyB

I cannot get DTS sound from composite audio-out even after upgrade. Is DTS out possible only with coaxial-out to home theater receiver? (I mean the player only recognizes the DTS and passes on without decoding?). Also, I thought the firmware was .29 (release date 8/23/06), is there another upgrade after that that I should use? Please help.
post #59 of 409 Old 09-12-2006, 11:54 PM

I have a Vizio 42'' LCD HDTV and just got this DVD player to go with it. This is my first time with a widescreen HDTV and I have been reading up on the whole idea behind anamorphic picture scaling for DVDs. I would of course like to make use of my widescreen TV and watch DVDs in 16:9 but I am seeing a big difference in picture quality between the following two settings:
1) DVD Player: TV Display = 4:3 Letter Box
TV: video mode = normal
2) DVD Player: TV Display = 16:9
TV: video mode = wide

Option two would give me a full widescreen but it seems like the resolution is much better in the boxed up version. Is this an issue with the DVD player or should I expect this from all upconverting players? I thought anamorphic DVDs had better resolution so they looked just as good in widescreen.

Also, I noticed that in option two, the top and bottom are slightly cut off. Its very very minimal but I went back and forth and confirmed there was a small difference. Would this again be a DVD player issue?

I am thinking about getting the Sony NS75H DVD player (for about $35 more) to compare but was hoping to get some pointers here first. Like others, I do like the features of the DVP5960 but PQ is the most important factor. I have already given up getting a DVD recorder to get an upconverting player instead in the same price range.

Thanks in advance for the help.
post #60 of 409 Old 09-17-2006, 09:22 PM

I just bought this dvp5960/37 and I am having trouble with the 1080i. I have it connected to my RCA 52" HD Projection using a HDMI to DVI cable(a cheapo), and I get a kinda blotchy/pixelated picture at both 480 and 1080. So now I am resigned to use the component out instead.

Any advice on where the problem lies? The dvdplayer the cable or the tv? I assume since I get a picture that its not the cable, because hdmi/dvi either works or doesnt I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page