Philips DVP 5960 HDMI DIVX player - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 409 Old 09-24-2006, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi folks,

I hope you guys can HELP me ... I have searched and searched ...

Anyway, I just bought a Philips DVP 5960/37 to view my .AVI files ... my AVI files are made with Xvid (I don't know if this is my problem) ... I have my .AVI and .SRT (Subtitles) in the same folder

My PROBLEM: When I play my movie (Chinese with English Subs) at about 15 minutes into it my Subtitle freezes and keeps the same subtitle ... Movie plays thru just fine ... but subtitle will not change.

Now I am able to play the same AVI movie on my desktop with Window Media Player just fine and "Subtitles" show up correctly (FYI: I have DirectVobSub on my computer).

PLEASSSSSE ... can anyone help me with this problem ... if I can't get the darn Philips player working ... I am taking the Unit back for my money since I have no use for it then!

THANKS!
G!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 409 Old 09-26-2006, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi,

u have a bug in ur sub(a timing error probably ), use subtitle workshop and do an error check...
or download another sub !!!
post #63 of 409 Old 09-27-2006, 10:23 AM

Hi JohnHamler,

Boy o boy ... YOU are the BEST. Can't thank you enough ... I downloaded the Subtitle Workshop and I tried the info/error tool and said fix all the errors and there was whole bunch and "saved" the new SRT ... and darn thing worked on my tabletop just fine.

But since I am new to SW program ... it chopped some of my Subtitle Strings short ... I need to figure out how the program works ... to correct timing errors and overlapping times "without" chopping my subtitles!?!?!?
OR, can I make the subtitles to 2 or 3 lines ...

I really don't understand how Creating and Managing Subtitles work ... do you know of a site that can teach a newbie?????

Thanks again,
G!

post #64 of 409 Old 10-08-2006, 05:03 AM

try doom9.organisation and go on their forum under subtitle.

these guys are really good....

if timing is wrong, do this with SW:

look at the first line timing.
look at the timing in the movie.

calculate the difference beetween time in sub and time in the movie(where the sub should be).
press ctrl D, this will open a window to set timing correction.

add or substract the timing difference to match your movie.
and you are done, save it!!!.

if it still doesnt work, press controll B, and say where your first sub and last sub should be.

if this still still doesnt work, and you dont understand why and u are fed up after 15 minutes, give up!!!!

it is because the initial sub is not for the correct movie.

the reason: you have a movie for TV(shorter), or a special edition with cut director(longer). in this case you have to find another sub.

try Subbiee, or DivX subtitles (even better), 2 sites with plenty of subtitles.

if you dont find the sub u want, wait 2-3 weeks, until a chap write a new sub for your movie.
post #65 of 409 Old 10-08-2006, 01:15 PM

Hi John,

THANKS!

G!
post #66 of 409 Old 10-13-2006, 02:48 PM

I have (still do) own a Philips DVP642 and wanted to finally upgrade it. I purchased a DVP5960 yesterday and thought I would post my results/opinions...

USB - worked with zero issues I used a SanDisk Cruzer 1GB first, preformatted as FAT32. No issues at all! Plugged an 80GB drive in a generic USB enclosure (StarTech, I think). Formatted the drive to 3 diff FAT32 partitions - again, no issues at all. This USB feature is HUGE for me. I burn a lot of DivX files onto CD-Rs and this is going to save me from having to do that at all! Woohooo! I may try to format a drive as NTFS and see if it will work with that as well.

Connection - I have it hooked up via HDMI cable, but also output the sound to my receiver via Coaxial Audio cable.
Video - plays perfectly on my LG HDTV Great picture (and yes, a noticeable difference in picture quality.
Sound - plays fine, but like others stated, it would not output in either 5.1 or DTS with an HDMI connection. However, that has been resolved...

Upgrade - As per other users, I upgraded to the newest firmware. Burned as per Philips' instructions, using Nero 6. No issues. Ran the upgrade on the DVP5960, went smoothly (only took about 3 mins total). However, after I upgraded the firmware, the unit would power on but no picture. Scared me at first, so I hit the "upconvert" button on the front of the unit and the picture came back I know another user had an issue with this, hopefully he tried the upconvert button like I did and that resolved it.
The sound now outputs in 5.1 and DTS! Yay!

Overall - I am thrilled This unit has worked exactly like I hoped it would. All the features of the DVP642 (which I have loved having for so long), but with a noticeable picture improvement, better remote control (still not wonderful, but MUCH better that the DVP642), USB capability (that is SUCH a big deal for me) and overall ease of use. I like the shiny metal look to it too

I recommend this player to anyone looking for a cheap way to have USB, HDMI and upconverting DVD capabilities! I worried about using coaxial audio (never have used it, always used optical audio cables), but I can hear absolutely no difference in the sound at all (in fact, coax may sound a bit better, hard to say, they both sound great!)

Thanks to all the posters on this site for the help in all aspects of this player. The "no DTS and no DD 5.1 output with HDMI" was a deal-breaker for me. But since those issues are resolved, no complaints at all. Got it for about $65 at CCity yesterday.

Couldn't be happier with it
post #67 of 409 Old 10-17-2006, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbarker32 View Post

I just bought this player.

I upgraded the firmware to the latest. When connected via HDMI only to a new Samsung 3241D LCD the signal plays for about 20 seconds then cuts out. Pulling the HDMI from the back of the set and reconnecting will restore the signal for another 20 seconds. I have tried two new and different HDMI cables that are 6 feet in length. I doubt that both cables are bad, but I guess it's possible.

If I connect via component cable the player plays fine with no problems.

From various threads I have read there seem to have been HDMI problems in the past, could there still be problems?

-CB

I have exactly the same problem - did you manage to get any resolution for this?

Sent an email to Philips but don;t hold out much hope...

Any feedback would be helpful.

Cheers.
post #68 of 409 Old 10-17-2006, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45bonwest View Post

I have exactly the same problem - did you manage to get any resolution for this?

Sent an email to Philips but don;t hold out much hope...

Any feedback would be helpful.

Cheers.

I resolved the problem by exchanging the player at CircuitCity and not applying the firmware update. So far so good.

Philips support is abysmal. I talked to them several times. They cannot even provide a copy of the original firmware so I could downgrade the player.

I originally tried to do a cross shipment for a replacement unit through Philips support and they cannot even manage that. They wanted me to send the unit in first and wait for 3 or 4 weeks while they decide to send me a replacement. Meanwhile, I would have no DVD player. A simple cross ship for a replacement is industry practice at least in the computer world. I even offered to give them my credit card number as collateral.

Philips has had a lot of problems with their sales in the US. They have talked about pulling out more than once. Based on my current experience they should go ahead and give up. Their products and support are hopeless.

Contrast this with my purchase of the Oppo 970 which has been wonderful. Their customer response to questions is fantastic and they issue firmware that works and improves their product.

-CB
post #69 of 409 Old 10-17-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbarker32 View Post

I resolved the problem by exchanging the player at CircuitCity and not applying the firmware update. So far so good.

Philips support is abysmal. I talked to them several times. They cannot even provide a copy of the original firmware so I could downgrade the player.

I originally tried to do a cross shipment for a replacement unit through Philips support and they cannot even manage that. They wanted me to send the unit in first and wait for 3 or 4 weeks while they decide to send me a replacement. Meanwhile, I would have no DVD player. A simple cross ship for a replacement is industry practice at least in the computer world. I even offered to give them my credit card number as collateral.

Philips has had a lot of problems with their sales in the US. They have talked about pulling out more than once. Based on my current experience they should go ahead and give up. Their products and support are hopeless.

Contrast this with my purchase of the Oppo 970 which has been wonderful. Their customer response to questions is fantastic and they issue firmware that works and improves their product.

-CB

I suspected that might have been your response...

Anyway, I received the following response from Philips (within 12 hours to be fair):

"Thank you for your recent e-mail.

With regards to your query we can advise that this is an issue with the hdmi
leads.

We would advise that you try the leads on another device to see if it works
or try new leads on the dvd player. This is because HDMI - HDMI has never
failed to work on this particular unit.

We trust that the information provided will be of assistance."

Impressive confidence in their product anyway!

I'll test out the leads on another setup when I get home but if this is unsuccessful it's a back to the shop job.

Unfortunately I haven't seen Oppo players in the UK so my alternatives are probably Sony or Toshiba.

Thanks for your feedback.
post #70 of 409 Old 10-18-2006, 02:06 AM

Just bought my 5960 today to play back TV shows I recorded with BeyondTV and transfered to my LG 2Gb flash drive. I've tried MPEG and DIVX and WMV. It loads and plays the MPEG and DIVX files but the audio starts to stutter after a few seconds. If I pause it and press play again, audio starts out good but starts to stutter again in a few seconds.

I only intend to use this for the USB connection so I can watch recorded TV shows. What should I be doing to make this work?

Thanks.
post #71 of 409 Old 10-19-2006, 08:15 AM

I bought this one yesterday. It worked perfectly fine except for the HDMI output.
1. I have got a Samsung HDTV with HDMI/DVI In.
2. Bought a Belkin HDMI cable from CC (expensive, will return this and buy one from monoprice later)

HDMI setup menu is disabled on the DVD menu. I couldn'd also find the HDMI source enabled on the TV.

Am I missing something here?
post #72 of 409 Old 10-19-2006, 10:28 PM

Has anyone gotten this thing to work with a ipod video yet. I have the latest firmware but have no luck with the ipod. My sandisk 2 gig works great but any type of spinning hard drive gets me a "device not supported" on the screen
post #73 of 409 Old 10-22-2006, 07:06 AM

Anyone tried connecting phillips dvp5960 upconverting dvd player with infocus 4805 projector and get 720p or higher.I have connected the hdmi to dvi cable to dvd and projector and the hdmi options (720p,1080i) are greyed out in dvd menu.Is it because of hdmi dvi cable ?

I just want to see myself what's deal with upconversion.

Anyone connected with hdmi to dvi cable with this dvd player and are able to select the HD resoultions in dvd menu.

Thanks in advance
post #74 of 409 Old 10-22-2006, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I experienced the same situation when I upgraded the firmware several days ago. No picture...yipes...what the heck went wrong I thought. Nothing online anywhere...FAQ's, etc...Nothing in the firmware upgrade instructions...which I printed out...Hit the upconversion by accident or just a button to push and voila a picture and no problems since then.

When looking at the upconversion choices on the setup screen I too have certain resolutions "shaded out" with no access to them. The resolutions are 480i and 720p. I presume the dvd player is reading the available resolutions. I have access to 480p and 1080i but honestly see no difference between them. Both are great so I leave it at 1080i and enjoy. I am using an hdmi/dvi cable as my tv only accepts dvi.

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, Rcvr: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Monitor 11v5, center/Paradigm CC-290, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/Paradigm PDR-100, DVD: Samsung BD-J5700, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #75 of 409 Old 10-22-2006, 10:49 PM

I bought the DVP5960/37 today at Circuit City. I hooked it up to my Samsung 940mw 19" LCD TV with a 3" HDMI-DVI cable made by Link Depot (bought from Frys) and like almost everyone else the resolution options in the HDMI Setup menu are greyed out. When using the upscale button It only does 480p. I tried stoping the movie and accessing the HDMI menu, yanking the HDMI cable and putting it back in and doing the same thing, I also played with my monitor settings (it does have 720p/1080i support).

I'll probably exchange the player for another one, but I honestly am not to optimistic about it. Is there anything else I can do to get the upscaling past 480p?

I updated the firmware for the heck of it also..
post #76 of 409 Old 10-22-2006, 11:48 PM

@thephased yes I have a the same problem with dvp5960/12 and Thomson Intuiva lcd. Tried several different hdmi-hdmi cables. Philips' support offers no help. There's nothing wrong with our player is their answer and according to Thomson it is Philips' fault.
post #77 of 409 Old 10-23-2006, 01:07 AM

ssufin, yeah it seems like the problem is not solvable..what a shame, it is a great player otherwise. I'm not so sure what to do now. I like the built in USB and DiVX support, but without upscaling I feel cheated. Have you tried multiple DVP5960 units with your LCD?
post #78 of 409 Old 10-23-2006, 07:59 AM

i was able to get 720p and 1080i on the DVP5960...........for about 10 seconds, until the picture would cut out and produce what i can only identify as "colored snow".

upgrading the firmware didn't help either.

it seems the general consensus is that the player appears to discriminate against HDMI.
post #79 of 409 Old 10-23-2006, 09:17 PM

i've got a weird experience w/ this player...

- player worked fine w/ 6ft cheap hdmi cable
- got a 50 ft hdmi cable and tested it worked fine
- ran the wire through the wall and now i get the "non-hdcp compliant" message

the weird part is if i hit the hd upscale button then the signal seems to sync... then i can watch a whole movie... So my best theory is there is attenuation and some interferance that is causing signalling issues.

The lesson is try to simulate the actually cable run with tenuous cable choices like 50 foot hdmi runs... just to be sure. Althouh i would have thought the signal would have had problems whether it was coiled on the floor or stretched out along a floor joist.

if anyone has had experiences with this player and the hdcp problem i'd love to hear about it.
post #80 of 409 Old 10-24-2006, 10:22 AM

Ths player does work via HDMI.

I am connected HDMI to Olivea Sytax LT37HVS 37" LCD HDMI port. I get all HDMI resolution options avaiable on the menus and the upscaling actuall works. On a scene that is really close, the 720p shows some faint lines in the resolution, where the 1080i seems to make them go away. I am not convinced that the upscaling makes much difference unless the shots are really close and the detail apparent.

Happy to go over my setting with anyone having a problem, and no I did not upgrade firmware,

cheers
post #81 of 409 Old 10-24-2006, 10:25 AM

FWIW - I'm running the DVP5960 using HDMI to an Sharp 42D62U and it is doing exactly what it should be doing using an inexpensive HDMI cable from monoprice.com. All resolutions available, except 576p (PAL). It is also feeding my TV the max output (1080i) on Auto.

My problem is not with HDMI, but with DivX/Xvid support. I have created some test slideshows with software that allows me to output in DivX/Xvid format. The player can read the CDs, start playing the files, but the video hangs after a couple of seconds and the audio keeps playing. Has anyone else run into this?

Jay B.

Thankful to be part of this great site!

Jay B.
post #82 of 409 Old 11-09-2006, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I bought this player over the weekend. Applied the firmware upgrade, applied region free hack. Going into the HDMI menu I only get 480p and 1080i. 1080i looks great. PAL to NTSC conversion is very good. My only gripe is no pillarboxing for 4x3 material.
The shift up some reported in the picture was noticeable on only a handful of DVD's. I tested about 50 DVD's and this problem only occurred on about 5 of them. I think it's the way the DVD's are encoded and not the player.
I'm very happy with the picture and sound on this.
post #83 of 409 Old 11-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gushin View Post

I bought this player over the weekend. Applied the firmware upgrade, applied region free hack. Going into the HDMI menu I only get 480p and 1080i. 1080i looks great. PAL to NTSC conversion is very good. My only gripe is no pillarboxing for 4x3 material.

You should be able to get this on 480p, depending on your TV. It would be a lot easier to switch resolutions if the remote had an HDMI button like the player. BTW, on our set we can get 480p, 720p, and 1080i over HDMI.
Quote:

The shift up some reported in the picture was noticeable on only a handful of DVD's. I tested about 50 DVD's and this problem only occurred on about 5 of them. I think it's the way the DVD's are encoded and not the player.

It is a problem on all players with the mediatek chipset, though some (eg Sony) add some extra processing to stretch the picture at the expense of picture quality. Again, I think it it is only an issue on upscaled DVDs - our screen gets filled at 480p, also when we play/upscale DivX material from the USB. - DR
post #84 of 409 Old 11-11-2006, 09:22 AM

I have a question for this player. Is it so loud that during movie times the player makes more noise than my tv? My cheapo Cyberhome player doesnt make noise that is louder then this Philips. I have read other complaints but this noise just makes me hope something can be done.
post #85 of 409 Old 11-11-2006, 10:13 AM

Hello, I have also bought a Philips DVP 5960.
When I realised that it didn't have DTS, I was worried!
So I was very happy when I read in this forum that it's possible to fix this problem with a firmware. Can anyone please tell me where I can download this firmware?

Greetings
Daan from Holland
post #86 of 409 Old 11-13-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daan View Post

Can anyone please tell me where I can download this firmware?

Greetings
Daan from Holland

http://www.usasupport.philips.com/pr...SU_US_CONSUMER
post #87 of 409 Old 11-19-2006, 11:52 PM

A quick note to anyone using a 2.5 inch UNPOWERED external HDD via the USB port. It seems the port may not put out enough power to run the drive correctly. I thought the player was unable to support both drives that I tried. This had never been a problem using them with a laptop or desktop computer. I dug out the original cables that have a second, power only dongle on the USB port end and plugged it into my cable box (I have it on top of the 5960 and luckily can reach the port without any kind of extension). Both drives are now supported and work fine.

@sssharp

I haven't noticed a lot of transport noise with this player and I'm fairly sensitive to that sound. The DVP642 was way louder. That being said I haven't had time to use it with a large number of disks and on the 642 the sound varied greatly from DVD to DVD.
post #88 of 409 Old 11-28-2006, 10:10 PM

Hey guys, i have a quick question here.

So I've been having the same problem as many of you here. I am using a HDMI cable that goes from this DVD player to my T.V. For audio I want to run a digital coaxial cable to my surround sound setup.

So i installed the latest firmware like everyone else did, but I am still not getting sound from my speakers. What I am wondering is, were there any specific DVD menu changes once the update was made? I am wondering if there is just a setting that I am not enabling that would allow me to run HDMI video and digital coaxial audio at the same time. Right now I have it the digital audio option set to "Full".

Anyway, I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks guys!
post #89 of 409 Old 11-29-2006, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am thinking of getting one of these players for a second system. Could someone check to see if it plays DTS CDs. Thanks,Eric
post #90 of 409 Old 12-09-2006, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Has anyone figured out how to get upconverting to work via HDMI->DVI cable? I have no HDMI options to select except for AUTO. Hitting the Upscale button just goes to 480p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page