Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 409 Old 12-11-2006, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by djk1-1 View Post

Has anyone gotten this thing to work with a ipod video yet. I have the latest firmware but have no luck with the ipod. My sandisk 2 gig works great but any type of spinning hard drive gets me a "device not supported" on the screen

I couldn't get my Ipod to work with the USB port. I'm thinking it's because I don't have it setup to emulate a drive in Windows. Same issue with my son's nano. nto a big deal for me, but it would have been ok if it worked. I can still take rca cables and hook it to my receiver and it works fine, so really, no need to run it through the DVD player except to see song names on the big screen.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 409 Old 12-11-2006, 06:16 AM

Just got this player from CC this weekend. I'm having big issues with lip sync between the DVD player and my Sony receiver. Something I didn'thave at all with either my old Sony DVD player or a Hatachi DVD Player I used for a short while because the Sony was not prog scan. Anyway, the sound seems to be a bit behind the picutre. I saw there was a lip syncing setting but could not figure out how to use it. It's undocumented, so my thought is this was part of the firmware update (which my player had already had done, since DTS was already working). Anyone else have this issue and have resolved it?

Edit: I should add, I am using HDMI for video but digital coax for sound through my receiver as it doesn't support HDMI.

Steve
post #93 of 409 Old 12-11-2006, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Remote stopped working Sat. (less than 6 months old) called PHILIPS yesterday. They said they would have one as soon as Feb. 27.

Fortunately my JVC AVR remote in another room works with it.

mark
post #94 of 409 Old 12-11-2006, 01:19 PM

If your DVD player is like mine, the lip sync setting should be at a default of 120ms. Try reducing that to 0 (or anywhere inbetween) and see if that fixes the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveknj View Post

Just got this player from CC this weekend. I'm having big issues with lip sync between the DVD player and my Sony receiver. Something I didn'thave at all with either my old Sony DVD player or a Hatachi DVD Player I used for a short while because the Sony was not prog scan. Anyway, the sound seems to be a bit behind the picutre. I saw there was a lip syncing setting but could not figure out how to use it. It's undocumented, so my thought is this was part of the firmware update (which my player had already had done, since DTS was already working). Anyone else have this issue and have resolved it?

Edit: I should add, I am using HDMI for video but digital coax for sound through my receiver as it doesn't support HDMI.

post #95 of 409 Old 12-11-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadez026 View Post

If your DVD player is like mine, the lip sync setting should be at a default of 120ms. Try reducing that to 0 (or anywhere inbetween) and see if that fixes the problem

Thanks, I wasn't sure which direction to go with that

Steve
post #96 of 409 Old 12-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post

Remote stopped working Sat. (less than 6 months old) called PHILIPS yesterday. They said they would have one as soon as Feb. 27.

Fortunately my JVC AVR remote in another room works with it.

mark

Philips called today said they would send a universal remote for use till the original one comes in Feb. Thats pretty nice of them .

mark
post #97 of 409 Old 12-28-2006, 08:14 AM

Guys. I just bought one of these and wasn't getting proper sound. I upgraded from the website but then the picture just cut out, I did NOT hit the upconvert button like others...is that the problem?

I exchanged it for another one, now I am hesitant to apply the firmware update. Also, I am thinking about the LG DN191H, its on sale at BB for 69.99. Any thoughts or comparisons on these two units??
post #98 of 409 Old 12-28-2006, 08:10 PM

Shake254,

When you upgrade the firmware, it changes the video output to a default of (I believe) 480i video (through compsite). I don't have the player in front of me but I believe you just have to press the resolution button repeatedly and cycle through the resolutions until the picture returns. Your player was probably not defective.

Julie
post #99 of 409 Old 12-29-2006, 04:28 PM

Hello pleas HELP. Workink new firewal upload. Dor open is write display "PHILIPS" minimal 6min. OFF power Return POWER only dvp5960 display "PHILIPS"
Pleas mi help new software dvp5960/12 europa, no read disk only display "PHILIPS"
Thanke wery much
post #100 of 409 Old 12-30-2006, 10:54 AM

Hi folks, Just hooked my Philips5960/37 to Samsung Plasma 42" HDTV Model # HP-S4253. Coax running to a Denon AVR 3802. Right now I am running component video cables to the tv. My question/problem is that I cannot get my player to turn on progressive display. When I press the info button on the tv the resolution is 720 x 480i. I have done exactly what the manual says and nothing. It did say in the trobleshooting section to " check that the output of the video signal is switch to 'YUV' ". I have never heard of that. Has anybody ran into this? Thanks
post #101 of 409 Old 12-31-2006, 09:13 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know I bought this unit on 12-26 from BB and it came with the newest update 37.06.42.29. I have it hook up to a sony RPTV via HDMI and I am very happy with the pictue and so is the wife.

MJ
post #102 of 409 Old 12-31-2006, 10:40 AM

I am still having no luck with getting the progressive display to turn on with this player. I am considering sending it back to BB since I have only had it for a few days and about convinced to purchase an OPPO but I am not willing to give up that easy. I am currently using component video cables as per first post. Maybe this setup is not compatable with the Samsung tv. Both Philips and Samsung support blamed the other company as would be expected. Do you guys think I should order an HDMI from MP and try that first and see what I think in its optimal setup.

Also, I play alot of concert DVDs and this is the first time I have used COAX audio. Do any of you music fans out there prefer Dolby or DTS over 5/7 channel stereo. Personal preference I just think the stereo sounds better. The Dolby is just not as brilliant as stereo and you have to turn the volumn considerably louder to get the same effect as stereo. I just wonder if optical would be any better. Thanks
post #103 of 409 Old 12-31-2006, 10:46 AM

I would try the HDMI connection. I use a Samsung HLN 4365 with and HDMI-DVI adapter to my TV and the coax digital audio to my audio amplifier and I am very pleased!

Annoying Notre Dame "fan"
post #104 of 409 Old 01-01-2007, 01:57 PM

I have the 5390/37 connected via HDMI -> DVI to my Toshiba HD 55HDM71
Pushing the front button HD UPSCALE would stick to 480P.
In the menu, the HDMI setting will stick to Auto.
Original firmware: 37.06.42.18

I've upgraded to 37.06.42.29 & region patch -> same problem

Then I noticed that the European version (12.06.36.40) contains a fix to "enable up-scaling above 480P using HDMI-DVI connection".
I burn the FW after renaming to DVP5960_37.BIN from DVP5960_12.BIN (otherwise I had DISC UNKNOWN error)

Upgrade went smooth and I was able to choose the HDMI setting in the menu = noticeable picture improvement in 720P, especially the disappearance of macroblocks.
However, pressing the button on the front will bring me back to 480P (need to do the change again in the setup)
My FW is now 12.06.36.40

The LIP SYNC function from 37.06.42.29 is still available, didn't check yet the multichannel through coax.

Looks to me that I have the best out of the two FW and at least I'm able to choose the HDMI resolution which was my goal.

http://www.p4c.philips.com for the FW
post #105 of 409 Old 01-05-2007, 08:32 AM

my new 47" vizio has optical audio out... if i go from the 5960 hdmi <-> hdmi on the tv then optical audio out of the tv into the reciever, can i recieve dd5.1, dts, or both?
post #106 of 409 Old 01-07-2007, 01:14 PM

As far as I know the optical out on the Vizio is only for the DTV receiver. It is not a pass through as nice as that feature might be. I have the 46" Vizio and I'm thinking about returning it for the "47. Do you have speaker hum when the backlight is lower than the high 90's?
post #107 of 409 Old 01-08-2007, 07:04 PM

Yet another problem user here. The DVP5960 arrived today and I hooked it up via HDMI to my Vizio GV42L.

I have the optical audio output from the Vizio connected to my receiver.

Any channels I receive OTA puts out audio, but when switching to HDMI2 (where my DVP5960 is connected) I get no audio.

I checked Philips' website and confirmed that I am already running the latest firmware.

The DVP5960 outputs DTS and up-scales perfectly fine, but no audio at all with any of the options in the players audio setup menu via HDMI.
post #108 of 409 Old 01-08-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitak98 View Post

As far as I know the optical out on the Vizio is only for the DTV receiver. It is not a pass through as nice as that feature might be. I have the 46" Vizio and I'm thinking about returning it for the "47. Do you have speaker hum when the backlight is lower than the high 90's?

Looks like you're probably right.

The entire time I was waiting for the DVP5960 to arrive I thought the Vizio uses the HDMI as a pass through as you put it, or a hub.

I thought connecting devices to the HDMI inputs on the Vizio and then using the optical out from it to my receiver would transfer the audio from the HDMI devices, but I guess I am wrong.
post #109 of 409 Old 01-08-2007, 09:21 PM

HDMI issues aside (It's the Vizio, not the player) the player does a pretty darn good job of cleaning up the picture when upscaling.

It's nothing like true 720p or 1080, but it blows the 480 version away.

One of the nice things is that you have a dedicated upscale button on the front of the unit.

This makes it easier to cycle through all the resolutions and compare the 480 to the 720/1080 counterparts.

It cleans up, but not completely eliminates the jaggies, pixilation, etc. It helps out a lot on footage with smoke or rain.

Terminator 2 Extreme Edition has never looked this good!

I have yet to play with the DivX capabilities, but I primarily purchased this unit to replace my Philips DVP642 because of the HDMI output.

I rarely playback DivX videos on DVD as I have my PC connected to my Vizio via RGB, so the picture quality there is gorgeous. When I do download DivX video's I convert them into DVD's using Nero Vision.

The HDMI and USB ports were the selling points for me.

For $80 bucks, you can't do any better.
post #110 of 409 Old 01-09-2007, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by INHUMANITY View Post

When I do download DivX video's I convert them into DVD's using Nero Vision.

This might reduce image quality, as there is information loss in the transcoding process. You should really try playing one of these through the Philips directly and see how it compares - you might be pleasantly surprised. - DR
post #111 of 409 Old 01-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
This player is to video what mp3 is to music.
12 episodes of Dexter on one rewritable DVD.
5 movies on same (after reformat)
Just burn a Data dvd or cd and away you go.
No more transcoding or Chinese mouth during replay.
post #112 of 409 Old 01-09-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0s View Post

This might reduce image quality, as there is information loss in the transcoding process. You should really try playing one of these through the Philips directly and see how it compares - you might be pleasantly surprised. - DR

No argument here. There is a slight loss of quality, but Nero Vision does a great job in the transcoding process. Plus I like having a "regular" DVD with chapter stops and whatnot.

But yeah, I played back a copy of "The Core" which was DivX 6.x with a 5.1 track.

It looked stunning as a DivX file compared to the DVD counterpart.
post #113 of 409 Old 01-13-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INHUMANITY View Post

Yet another problem user here. The DVP5960 arrived today and I hooked it up via HDMI to my Vizio GV42L.

I have the optical audio output from the Vizio connected to my receiver.

Any channels I receive OTA puts out audio, but when switching to HDMI2 (where my DVP5960 is connected) I get no audio.

I checked Philips' website and confirmed that I am already running the latest firmware.

The DVP5960 outputs DTS and up-scales perfectly fine, but no audio at all with any of the options in the players audio setup menu via HDMI.

I am having the same problem now on my 5960 connected to Samsung S4695D. I swear that the audio used to be there when I first connected HDMI, but somehow it is gone by now; turning on/off either TV or 5960 does not help. Mine is running the latest version firmware as posted on Philips web site. Anybody else having this problem? Shall we complain to Philips? I could still return my 5960 to Bestbuy.
post #114 of 409 Old 01-13-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbucks66 View Post

I am having the same problem now on my 5960 connected to Samsung S4695D. I swear that the audio used to be there when I first connected HDMI, but somehow it is gone by now; turning on/off either TV or 5960 does not help. Mine is running the latest version firmware as posted on Philips web site. Anybody else having this problem? Shall we complain to Philips? I could still return my 5960 to Bestbuy.

It's not the player's problem.

Very few TVs have DD decoders. DD is what is being passed via the HDMI cable, so that's why you hear no audio. Furthermore, most TVs don't do passthru to the optical out either; that's almost always just for OTA DTV reception.

You need to either directly connect your DVD player to your surround receiver via coax or run analog audio cables to the TV.

--
Christopher D. Heer
Disclaimer: I neither speak for nor represent my employer or its views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
post #115 of 409 Old 01-14-2007, 10:35 AM

can anyone tell the difference between switching mode for "up-converter" button ?
On my Vizio 42 LCD, i cant even tell the difference when i switch between 480p and 720p.
Looks very similar, should i swap it out for another unit, model ?
post #116 of 409 Old 01-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

It must be your eyes. The 1080i mode is a godsend for my Toshiba CRT. Soooo much nicer than the 480p mode. The colors are deeper and the lines are much smoother.

And about the lip sync thing, if you pause a movie or FF/REW and the lip sync is off, simply press stop and then press play to resume. You can hear the drive reset itself and sync up perfectly.

Sony XBR960n - nice to rods, mean to cones.
post #117 of 409 Old 01-14-2007, 01:34 PM

I've had a DVP5960/37 for a couple of months now. It is working well over HDMI connected to my Sony KDS-60A2000. I problems with stuttering while playing packed bitstream XviD files and installed the hacked firmware from this thread on videohelp.com:
http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1621220

Player works great now. Picture quality is terrific at 1080i.

Oh, and I solved the problem with it sliding around by buying some stick-on vinyl feet.

However, I have one complaint: The remote only works when I'm standing about 3 feet away from the player. This happens with both the original remote (fresh batteries) and my Harmony 880.

Anyone else having a problem with this? Think I need a swap/repair?

--Ted
post #118 of 409 Old 01-15-2007, 11:38 AM

TedEstes,

Are you able to connect via HDMI and still get DD5.1 and/or DTS thru the digital coax with the new hacked firmware? I've read that this is a problem with the modified firmware. I'm thinking of flashing my player, but I don't want to lose DTS.
post #119 of 409 Old 01-15-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie800 View Post

Are you able to connect via HDMI and still get DD5.1 and/or DTS thru the digital coax with the new hacked firmware? I've read that this is a problem with the modified firmware. I'm thinking of flashing my player, but I don't want to lose DTS.

Well, thanks for ruining my blissful ignorance. I just checked -- sure enough, it's stuck at PCM out with the HDMI connected to the TV and the digital coax connected to the receiver. Disconnect HDMI and run through component, and I get DD5.1.

Is this an issue with the firmware, or is it an issue with how my TV is negotiating with the DVD player? I have the TV speakers disabled, but I wonder if it's still negotiating the sound stuff. Perhaps, since the TV can't do DD5.1, the DVD player drops it down to PCM.

I guess I'll have to research some more. Or else this player gets demoted to the bedroom and I'll pick up something else for the home theater.

--Ted
post #120 of 409 Old 01-15-2007, 01:50 PM

Sorry for the bad news.... : D

I believe that this is an issue with the hacked firmware. If you read the posts at the thread you linked to, there were several people who tried the hacked firmware and had the DD5.1/DTS problem. Some went back to the original firmware and got the digital sound passed thru fine. You can try re-flashing your player back the OEM latest firmware and see if it still disables DD5.1 and/or DTS. This would be a good confirmation. Keep us posted if you try it.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page