Philips DVP 5960 HDMI DIVX player - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2007, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As far as I've been able to ascertain, the machine will pass a DTS signal out, but cannot decode it. And I do remember seeing people fairly pissed that component is specifically NOT supported for upconversion, HDMI only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ok, even though the dvd player showed the newer firmware version, I updated it with what was at the site, and now i can get the dts to pass to my receiver.

Do I need to go in and set the audio up for digital audio EVERYTIME I turn the thing on? Does it default back to 2 channel stereo? If so, what moron would design that?

No eject button on the remote?
Old 02-08-2007, 06:44 PM

No, you do not need to setup the audio everytime. It will remember the audio output settings through power cycles. As for an eject button on the remote, simply press and hold the 'stop' button on the remote for ~5 seconds and voila.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:51 PM

Few DVD player will upconvert through component, and most of them will need a hack anyway to enable the feature.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Manufacturers have pretty much all signed on to DRM agreements proscribing (among other things) upconversion over component. For a variety of reasons this particular prohibition is silly, but that's the way it is. Some players (eg, the Oppo 971) did not have this restriction because it was on the market before the agreement.

It could be worse. Sony - a content provider themselves, so a big advocate of content restrictions - sells a machine based on the same chipset as the 5960 that not only does not upconvert over component, is also does not play DivX files (or other downloadable content), and cannot be made region-free. All for only twice the price of the Philips:-) - DR
Old 02-10-2007, 08:56 AM

Liked: 22
Can the philips be setup to output 1080i by default, or do we need to cycle through the outputs each time.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2007, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsrgreat View Post

Can the philips be setup to output 1080i by default, or do we need to cycle through the outputs each time.

Thanks

Mine does not change. It outputs 1080i all the time unless I manually change the setting.

Allen
Old 02-12-2007, 05:49 PM

For anyone thinking of buying this player, I bought this dvd player for $80 at bestbuy to replace my Philips 642 and I am seriously impressed. It will play anything you throw at it and the upconvert over HDMI is incredible. I have it paired on my Samsung HLS-5087W and it's amazing. There are only a few drawbacks (not enough to require returning):

1) The IR for the remote sucks. Plain and simple. I have to reach my arm in the air to FF and RW etc......

2) It takes a good 5-10 seconds for my tv to recognize the HDMI input (yes it's the DVD player not the tv since my cable is an instant connection via HDMI)

3) long loading time to turn on

4) no optical (only digital coax) - you can always get a converter if need be.....

5) no long filenames

Although I have listed a few cons, there are many many positives especially the picture quality, USB support!!! and the PRICE!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:15 AM

Does this dvd player upconvert xvid/divx video too, or only dvd video?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Was the firmware posted on the philips site last week new or just repost of current version?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

Stone_age: yes.
Zoyd: it is the same firmware that has been out for months. - DR
Old 02-15-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0s View Post

Stone_age: yes.
Zoyd: it is the same firmware that has been out for months. - DR

Hey dr0s, yes it upconverts xvid video too, or yes it only upconverts DVD video?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:26 PM

I have recently bought this dvd player and I'm using HDMI connection, upscaled to 1080i. My tv doesn't allow HD singals to be displayed in standard 4:3 mode. I need to switch to 480p for that. i was wondering if there's anyway to change that though a firmware upgrade?

If it doesn't exist can Philips theoretically do it? If they can I think we should lay on the presure with a email campaign. It seems like a standard thing for them to do, allow video to be watched in the proper aspect ratio.

Jaycromer
Old 02-16-2007, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

zoyd: it upconverts all video.

jaycromer: This is a common problem with inexpensive upconverters. Some DVD players using the same mediatek chipset (eg Oppo, Sony) will optionally pillarbox 4:3 material when upconverting, so it is theoretically possible on the Philips, but it seems unlikely to me that we will see this in firmware for this machine. It is a relatively slight irritation - changing the resolution to 480p is easy, and most 4:3 material is of sufficiently low image quality that upscaling would not help it much if at all. - DR
Old 02-17-2007, 01:14 PM

I got one of these players online and I'm having trouble with the HDMI. It's cutting out after a couple minutes of play. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm planning on exchanging it. Has anyone else heard of a problem like this?
Old 02-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

It sounds like it is losing the handshaking. The first thing I would try is a better cable (or just reverse tha cable you have). - DR
Old 02-19-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin View Post

There are only a few drawbacks (not enough to require returning):

1) The IR for the remote sucks. Plain and simple. I have to reach my arm in the air to FF and RW etc......

I had this same problem with my first player. A second one is very responsive to the IR. (I also tested one in the store with my own remote -- it was responsive from 25-30 feet away.)

I suggest you return the player and complain about the IR response and say you want a new player.

--Ted
Old 02-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

I've encountered a rather odd bug with my Philips 5960. I currently have it connected directly to my Philips LCD via HDMI and I also have audio connected via coaxial and analog to my receiver. Now to the problem..... when playing a CD I'm noticing the audio cutting out (mostly during the 1st and 2nd track) and its normally preceded by a click type sound. I think I've narrowed it down to something related to the LCD in that the click is coming from the LCD and then immediately following the audio briefly cuts out. What is odd is that the Display isn't even turned on at the time. I will say that this resembles what happens when you change the HDMI settings during playback of a movie. To narrow this down to the player being connected to the HDMI on the Display causing this "audio cut out" issue is I've changed the digital out to "All" off hence not sending audio via the HDMI to the TV. What I'm thinking is that if the DVD player is looking for a handshake with the Display if there is no audio present through digital out then it may not cut out like this. Anybody out there with some additional thoughts on this?

PS: This only happens during CD playback and I have "zero" issues with audio or video cutting out during DVD playback.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:09 PM

does this player output 5.1 sound??
Old 02-19-2007, 05:40 PM

Hi all,

I've had this player for a few weeks. So far I'm very happy. The only thing I've run into that is a little annoying is that xvid's at a certain resolution (i.e. 960x528) won't play but they will play at 624x352. It gives an error like "invalid resolution" or something like that. Anybody know a way around this - OR an easy way to adjust resolutions on the PC? 624x352 just looks like crap on my LG.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

As has been mentioned many times before, this player will not play high definition video files. Neither will any other non-HD dvd player.
While you cannot simply adjust resolutions of a video file, you can transcode to a different resolution, eg using Dr. DivX or Stoik converter. - DR
Old 02-21-2007, 02:31 AM

Okay, just had my 5960-37 arrive by post today, hooked it up and threw in some of my trusty MST3K avi discs to find that, while they've always played perfectly on the several years old JVC NP-10s DIVX machine this player was supposed to replace, they ALL come up "Video Codec Not Supported". GSPOT reports the codec as being MP42, but, like I said, they've ALWAYS played in my previous DIVX machine, and I had assumed that the Philips would support them, as it seems people have said it'll play just about everything they can throw at it. Is this possibly a FourCC problem which can be fixed without transcoding my whole library of AVIs, or is this a peculiar shortcomming of the the Philips? Hopefully someone can give me an answer soon, because the chain I bought this through has an obscenely short window for returns. Thanks, guys!
Old 02-21-2007, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inv8r View Post

Okay, just had my 5960-37 arrive by post today, hooked it up and threw in some of my trusty MST3K avi discs to find that, while they've always played perfectly on the several years old JVC NP-10s DIVX machine this player was supposed to replace, they ALL come up "Video Codec Not Supported". GSPOT reports the codec as being MP42, but, like I said, they've ALWAYS played in my previous DIVX machine, and I had assumed that the Philips would support them, as it seems people have said it'll play just about everything they can throw at it. Is this possibly a FourCC problem which can be fixed without transcoding my whole library of AVIs, or is this a peculiar shortcomming of the the Philips? Hopefully someone can give me an answer soon, because the chain I bought this through has an obscenely short window for returns. Thanks, guys!

This reminds me of when I bought my first standalone DivX player several years ago; I realized that most of my files wouldn't play, including all of those crappy old DAP MST3K files that, for some reason, are MP42. I'm impressed that your JVC plays them. My solution was to transcode them, which in hindsight, I consider to be a ridiculous waste of my time. No one hates Philips more than I do, but FWIW, I think you'll find that most players won't support those files. I don't think my Pioneer players will play them, and I don't think it's a FourCC issue. Personally, I blame DAP for this. Luckily, some of the files are being replaced by DVDRs and XviD, but of course, a lot of it is still MP42.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:50 AM

Old 02-21-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxxx123 View Post

Yes.

--
Christopher D. Heer
Disclaimer: I neither speak for nor represent my employer or its views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:05 PM

Thanks, MechanicalMan, I really appreciate the info. Too bad it's not an easily fixable problem, but I guess both machines are going to be co-existing for a while, as I can't bear to be without my MST3K shows handy, but am certainly not going to spend the time to transcode 10 seasons worth of movies, or try re-DLing the lot. Anyways, glad to know I can stop swearing and throwing things at the Philips and point the finger at DAP for the poor codec choice.
Another question as I explore this new player, is there any way around the ENORMOUS overscan this thing seems to do? I've cycled through the picture settings on my Tosh. 50hm66 and can see that the image the Philips is outputting over component is dramatically cropped in compared to a zoomed-out view (did that make any sense? The whole anamorphic frame contains much more side-to-side information than the 5960 is sending out, as verified by cyling through the various options on the TVs display, the tv isn't cropping, the DVD player is). Would the crop be any different over HDMI?
Old 02-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

There is zero cropping on my setup over hdmi (checked using a test pattern on DVE).
There is however the usual mediatek vertical compression on upscaled resolutions.
I haven't tried with component, but I know others have reported overscan with composite, and as far as I know there is no fix. - DR
Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is zero cropping on my setup over hdmi (checked using a test pattern on DVE).
There is however the usual mediatek vertical compression on upscaled resolutions.
I haven't tried with component, but I know others have reported overscan with composite, and as far as I know there is no fix. - DR

Do you know about what percentage the typical vertical compression is? Is it different for 720p vs 1080i? I haven't noticed it on mine but maybe it is a small effect.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Do you know about what percentage the typical vertical compression is?

Not offhand, but if it is important I could dig out DVE this weekend and find out exactly. It is small, but should be clearly visible on any TV that doesn't underscan.

Is it different for 720p vs 1080i?

Yes, but should be visible on both. - DR
Old 02-23-2007, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[i]Not offhand, but if it is important I could dig out DVE this weekend and find out exactly. It is small, but should be clearly visible on any TV that doesn't underscan.

Not that important, I think there is a test pattern on my getgray disk that I can check it out with.

cheers