Philips DVP 5960 HDMI DIVX player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 409 Old 05-08-2006, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have a chance to give the new 5960 a test run? I grabbed one at the BB in Boston; hadn't seen or heard about it. Looks nice from the initial run, seems to play divx files in the proper AR on a 16:9 monitor (tested three files). Over HDMI at 720p, looks pretty nice. This is only eyeballing it for a few minutes though. Certainly interested in any other user comments.

FWIW, it is not region free out of the box; haven't tried any hacks, but it did play a PAL disc that was region free. Again, only popped in a disc for a minute, so no comments here on the playback quality though. . . maybe in a few days

just tried the hack for the 642 (789 ok 0) and that did not work since hitting ok closed the drawer.

as with other philips players, the stop button on the remote, when held down for 2 secs, is the open/close button (since there is no open/close button labeled as such on the remote)

Thanks,
dd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 409 Old 05-28-2006, 01:48 PM

Liked: 11
hobbes,
How are you liking the 5960? Anyone else try this player?

You only live once. Get what you want!
post #3 of 409 Old 05-28-2006, 02:14 PM

I have it. It's ok with DivX stuff. Doesn't play QPel, like the previous Phillips, but it actually does play it in a slideshow-y manner. And it handles Widescreen DivX files properly, like the OP said.

But the upconverting seems kind of ass. It looked worse to me than my TV upconverting a 480P signal. Maybe my TV has a really good upconverter, though...

You CAN view pictures in 1080i, which is pretty cool. But it takes time.

I also tried the Toshiba that had DivX 6 and upconverting. I'm not sure which is better. My memory is so frigging horrible that I've already forgotten. I'm going to look for comparisons...
post #4 of 409 Old 05-30-2006, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

After a couple of weeks with the 5960, I'm fairly happy. Divx playblack is good. Occasional lock-ups, but easily fixed by FF a few seconds. HDMI playback is nice, certainly better than the JSI that this unit replaced. No stretch mode over HDMI though which was an advantage of the JSI. No resume function for discs, so you have to search to where you left off. And no auto start to skip all the crap at the beginning of discs. However, the good news is that videohelp has updated it's hacks and the hack for the previous HDMI model works on this one to make it region free.

It's an $80 player and the quality is pretty good. Can't ask for a whole lot more, other than it being reliable. . .
post #5 of 409 Old 05-30-2006, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

IMHO, the Philips 5960 is fundamentally flawed due to the following scenario....

- You are using the HDMI output with resolution set to 720p or 1080i resolution.
- You are playing a 4:3 DVD.
- Your TV does not let you select Normal (pillar-boxed) aspect ratio for 4:3 pictures received via HDMI at 720p or 1080i resolution. AFAIK, most HDTVs fall into this catergory. At least the Sony and Samdung RPTVs do.

The result is that for a 4:3 picture via HDMI the picture is always stretched horizontally. Most other HDMI upconverting DVD players, such as Sony and Panasonic, have a setting (Normal or Full) that lets you choose how to deal with 4:3 DVDs in case your TV won't let you.

As for PQ from the Philips 5960...its not too bad but not spectacular. HDMI seems to be a little better than component. I think the Sony and Panasonic upconvert players are a bit better though. Other nitpicks about the Philips 5960: the remote sucks, no open/close button on remote (but pressing the stop button for 2 seconds opens/closes the tray), no digital optical output, pressing play or eject on the unit doesn't power it on, resume doesn't work, the thing is so light that if you press a button on the front panel the whole player moves. Another shining example of the cheapening of CE that is so prevalent nowaday.

P.S. It plays PAL discs on an NTSC TV just fine and there is a working region-free hack posted on www.videohelp.com
post #6 of 409 Old 05-30-2006, 05:17 PM

Hi,

I looked at the manual for the Philips DVP5960, and this player WILL resume the last 5 discs you played, but what you have to do is when you turn on the player (if it's a disc you left in there when you turned the player off) or after you put the disc in the tray and the disc starts loading you HAVE to press the "Play" button on the remote or the resume function won't take effect.

(See page 26 of the instruction manual under "Resuming Playback from the last stopped point")

Yes, it is incredibly annoying. I had the infamous Philips DVP-642 for a while and the resume operated exactly the same way. It also shares with the older Phillps a lack of an open/close button on the remote - I believe if you press and hold down the "Stop" button when a disc is already stopped it will open the tray.

Hope that helps,

Julie
post #7 of 409 Old 05-30-2006, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the resume does work, for the last 5 discs, but its a bit hit-and-miss and you have to press the Play key at just the right point during a disc load after stopping and restarting, assuming it works at all if resume amnesia hasn't set in. Same with the Yamaha 550/5750/5751. Bottom line: This feature is very poorly designed. The newer Sony's approach is much better. Oh well, I suppose that what you get for $75. New Oppo 970 looks promising though.
post #8 of 409 Old 05-31-2006, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled1 View Post

IMHO, the Philips 5960 is fundamentally flawed due to the following scenario....

- You are using the HDMI output with resolution set to 720p or 1080i resolution.
- You are playing a 4:3 DVD.
- Your TV does not let you select Normal (pillar-boxed) aspect ratio for 4:3 pictures received via HDMI at 720p or 1080i resolution. AFAIK, most HDTVs fall into this catergory. At least the Sony and Samdung RPTVs do.

The result is that for a 4:3 picture via HDMI the picture is always stretched horizontally. Most other HDMI upconverting DVD players, such as Sony and Panasonic, have a setting (Normal or Full) that lets you choose how to deal with 4:3 DVDs in case your TV won't let you.

Can't speak to those TV's, but my cheapie Vizio L32 LCD displays 4:3 dvds in their original AR fine when outputting 720p. The image is not stretched horizontally or vertically (although i would like the player to be able to output a full widescreen image that is stretched proportionally like my old JSI did). My options with the HDMI connection are zoom, wide and normal. I set it to normal, and it is fine, not stretched.
post #9 of 409 Old 05-31-2006, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes4444 View Post

Can't speak to those TV's, but my cheapie Vizio L32 LCD displays 4:3 dvds in their original AR fine when outputting 720p. The image is not stretched horizontally or vertically (although i would like the player to be able to output a full widescreen image that is stretched proportionally like my old JSI did). My options with the HDMI connection are zoom, wide and normal. I set it to normal, and it is fine, not stretched.

My Sony RPTVs options with the HDMI connection are Full, Zoom and Wide Zoom for 720p and 1080i. Normal is not available for 720p and 1080i HDMI, only for 480p. So I would suggest that anyone considering this player make sure their TV supports Normal mode when using 720p or 1080i over HDMI and if intending to play 4:3 DVDs if they want the picture to be pillarboxed rather then stretched.
post #10 of 409 Old 06-01-2006, 08:00 PM

I dont't know if this was answered or not, but I am unable to get the dvd player to upconvert??? I am using a hdmi cable to the dvi port on my hdtv and am getting the 480i image. I try to adjust the settings under the video menu, but all the higher resolutions are in gray and the only option I can select is auto. Also, I thought sound was transfered through the hdmi. I don't get any sound either through the tv. Anyone got any ideas?
post #11 of 409 Old 06-01-2006, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

It would be helpful if you would state what is the make/model of your TV.

As for audio over HDMI. Yes, as long as its HDMI-to-HDMI. If its HDMI-to-DVI, as in your case...no audio. You need to run seperate, parallel analog audio from DVD player to TV. A DVI input has a corresponding audio input (red & white stereo audio RCA jacks). The DVD player and/or TV manual should have diagrams to show you how to hook up to a DVI input on a TV.
post #12 of 409 Old 06-02-2006, 12:23 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Yeah, unlike HDMI, DVI doesn't include audio.

Re selecting the different HDMI modes (720p, 1080i...), try stopping the player first, then see if you can select them. Not sure if there are any other features that would need to be adjusted for DVI.

ADU
post #13 of 409 Old 06-05-2006, 06:30 AM

I bought this over the weekend. I really enjoy using USB and the support for DivX and PAL discs (which is why I went with it over the Sony).

But, it apparently doesn't handle DTS? Am I doing something wrong here? I looked through the menu and didn't find a setting for it. I was trying to watch the new Kingdom of Heaven 4 disc set and the DD 5.1 played fine, but no sound played when I switched to DTS. (I've never had DTS problems before!).

I thought DTS was considered "bare minimum" on a DVD player that I didn't even think to look for it. Granted, I thought the same for optical audio, but this player doesn't have that either.

I'm guessing I might have to order a Oppo 970 after all......
post #14 of 409 Old 06-05-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chew1138 View Post

I bought this over the weekend. I really enjoy using USB and the support for DivX and PAL discs (which is why I went with it over the Sony).

But, it apparently doesn't handle DTS? Am I doing something wrong here? I looked through the menu and didn't find a setting for it. I was trying to watch the new Kingdom of Heaven 4 disc set and the DD 5.1 played fine, but no sound played when I switched to DTS. (I've never had DTS problems before!).

I thought DTS was considered "bare minimum" on a DVD player that I didn't even think to look for it. Granted, I thought the same for optical audio, but this player doesn't have that either.

I'm guessing I might have to order a Oppo 970 after all......

Yep, I just bought the 5960 and it seems that it does not support DTS. I can't get it to work at all. This makes absolutely no sense. First no optical out, AND no DTS? Who designed this thing?
I'll be returning it tomorrow.
post #15 of 409 Old 06-06-2006, 10:10 AM

If the DVD player doesn't have DTS decoder but the receiver has one then when we select DTS signal will it come out to the receiver? 'cause I think everyone has DTS receiver but what we want is the DTS signal
post #16 of 409 Old 06-06-2006, 01:51 PM

My reciever didn't even get 5.1 sound at all though this DVD player. No dolby digital and no DTS through coaxial digital. Took it back and got a Sony NS75H, now my surround outputs DTS and DD just fine.

Say Wha Wha....
post #17 of 409 Old 06-06-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhatduongchi View Post

If the DVD player doesn't have DTS decoder but the receiver has one then when we select DTS signal will it come out to the receiver? 'cause I think everyone has DTS receiver but what we want is the DTS signal

Nope, it doesn't even recognize the DTS signal.
post #18 of 409 Old 06-06-2006, 04:24 PM

Well then whoever approved this design should be fired, I plan to get one but I have to look else where now, probably the new Oppo which is OOS at the moment
post #19 of 409 Old 06-07-2006, 05:59 PM

Philips has not included DTS in many of its players for a while now, e.g. the DVD727 and I believe the DVP642. Surprisingly, DTS works on the DVP5900, even though it does not say so anywhere on the box or the machine itself. I suspect it may have been accidentally enabled without being licensed.
post #20 of 409 Old 06-12-2006, 12:09 PM

I've been using the Philips 5960 for a week now and I'm thrilled to have an easy way to view DivX content on my Panasonic PT-50LC13 HDTV.

I've been watching 720x480 DivX and Xvid content. It looks pretty good, although I wish the 5960 supported DivX HD resolutions. Apparently there are only about 4 decks that play DivX HD and the cheapest is the $250 AVeL Linkplayer 2. I'm sure that will change soon enough but for now, I'm happy with the $80 Philips deck.

Ironically, it doesn't matter to me that the 5960 can play DVDs at all. I only want it for the USB port. You see, the Philips 5960 plays video files directly from USB drives including thumbdrives, USB card readers, and iPods. So I copy a bunch of DivX files to my 30 GB iPod, plug it directly into my 5960, and it works like a champ. Of course the iPod can't play those files, but it simply acts as a dumb USB drive and the 5960 does all the hard work.

I believe the 5960 is the cheapest way to create a video jukebox. A typical DivX movie is less than 1.5 GB and I can buy a 300 GB USB drive for less than $100. That means, for under $180, I could watch my entire DVD collection without leaving my couch. That is less than the AVeL Linkplayer and way cheaper than any HTPC I could build.

A word of warning, the 5960 only displays the first 8 characters of your filenames. That means you need to be creative about your naming and directory structures if you hope to find the movie you are looking for on a 300 GB drive.
post #21 of 409 Old 06-29-2006, 12:03 AM

I want to buy the philips 5960, anyone tried yet the usb port?
I think is a good feature if it can play divx from hard disk or photo or mp3...
Thank you very much.
post #22 of 409 Old 06-29-2006, 07:15 AM

i have the same problem. HDMI-upconversion stuck at 480p. I have it connected to a Syntax Olevia LT32HVM via DVI-HDMI cable. anyone know if there is a "fix" for it (although i doubt it) to display 720p on the Syntax?? i jsut want to make sure the dvd-player is not defective..

incidentally, the LG LDX514 does the upconversion just fine on same tv. also, to the above question, yes hard drive works just fine thru USB but it depends on which enclosure the drive is in. not all of them will work. and i cant tell you exactly which ones will. you have to try it with some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled1 View Post

It would be helpful if you would state what is the make/model of your TV.

As for audio over HDMI. Yes, as long as its HDMI-to-HDMI. If its HDMI-to-DVI, as in your case...no audio. You need to run seperate, parallel analog audio from DVD player to TV. A DVI input has a corresponding audio input (red & white stereo audio RCA jacks). The DVD player and/or TV manual should have diagrams to show you how to hook up to a DVI input on a TV.

post #23 of 409 Old 06-29-2006, 04:54 PM

pccip:

There a long and informative thread on this player and the USB port in the videohelp forums at the following link-

Philips 5960 and USB

Yes, Divx, mp3s and other files will play off of USB storage, but apparently you have to be careful about how you do it. As deshwasi mentions some USB hard drive enclosures will work and some will not. Also I believe the drive must be formatted with the FAT32 file system.

Julie
post #24 of 409 Old 07-05-2006, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshwasi View Post

i have the same problem. HDMI-upconversion stuck at 480p. I have it connected to a Syntax Olevia LT32HVM via DVI-HDMI cable. anyone know if there is a "fix" for it (although i doubt it) to display 720p on the Syntax?? i jsut want to make sure the dvd-player is not defective...

The same problem happened to me... Replaced the player with the new one - helped.

The "defective unit" displayed "non-hdcp compliant" msg, when connected to hdtv unit. Also, I couldn't do do any changes to HDMI resolution in setup of it.

Kris
post #25 of 409 Old 07-07-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobieraj View Post

The same problem happened to me... Replaced the player with the new one - helped.

The "defective unit" displayed "non-hdcp compliant" msg, when connected to hdtv unit. Also, I couldn't do do any changes to HDMI resolution in setup of it.

Kris

I'm having the same "non-hdcp compliant" msg. Is exchanging the unit for another one the only way to fix this? How can I be sure the new one I get won't have the same problem? Is it a firmware version issue?
post #26 of 409 Old 07-08-2006, 08:25 AM

I've noticed that no one is talking about the use of HDMI in tandum with a DD5.1 receiver, so I'm hoping my question is an isolated one. Oh, no problems for me upconverting (480p, 720p, 1080i).

It appears that if HDMI is hooked up, and my digital out (coax) on the DVP5960 is also being used, the player doesn't support DD5.1. If I remove the HDMI cable, DD5.1 comes in ok.

My equipment:
Sony SXRD KDS-R50XBR1 display
Onkyo TX-SR501 receiver
Philips DVP5960 DVD player (obviously)

I've verified the following settings:

DVP5960 player
Digital Audio Setup - Digital Output - "All"

TX-SR501 receiver
DVD - Digital Input - "Coax"

KDS-R50XBR1 display
Audio - Speakers - "Off"

I've seen two comments on other review sites on the web concerning this issue, but they didn't go into details. Has anyone experienced this?
post #27 of 409 Old 07-10-2006, 11:34 AM

I just got this player last week, I've noticed the picture looks kinda washed-out compared to that of my old Toshiba SD-2200. Granted, I've got it connected via component cables, but the colors just don't "pop" like what I'm used to. I've tried adjusting the personal settings, but to no avail. I think I may return it in favor of the Sony 75H.

Kevin (aka Stagemaster)
post #28 of 409 Old 07-11-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagemaster View Post

I just got this player last week, I've noticed the picture looks kinda washed-out compared to that of my old Toshiba SD-2200. Granted, I've got it connected via component cables, but the colors just don't "pop" like what I'm used to. I've tried adjusting the personal settings, but to no avail. I think I may return it in favor of the Sony 75H.

For what it's worth, I returned the 5960 to BB and exchached it for the Sony DVP-NC85H changer and couldn't be happier. I immediately noticed a sharper, more vivid picture. There were features I liked in the 5960, but for me, image quality comes first. The Sony cost me an additional 80 bucks, but it was worth it.

Kevin (aka Stagemaster)
post #29 of 409 Old 07-14-2006, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwaybloe View Post

I've noticed that no one is talking about the use of HDMI in tandum with a DD5.1 receiver, so I'm hoping my question is an isolated one. Oh, no problems for me upconverting (480p, 720p, 1080i).

It appears that if HDMI is hooked up, and my digital out (coax) on the DVP5960 is also being used, the player doesn't support DD5.1. If I remove the HDMI cable, DD5.1 comes in ok.

I have the exact same problem on my 5960. It is hooked up to a panasonic
42" plasma and a yamaha receiver (via coax). When I use the components I get
5.1 on the yamaha no problem, if I use HDMI I only get 2 channels.
This is very clear - if I just plug in the HDMI cable, the sound immediately
goes to 2ch. I spent a long time on the phone with philips, got escalated
to some tech-jerk, who basically told me that since my receiver is not philips
then he can't help me. Oh, and he told me I should hook up the receiver
using the red/white cables for surround sound.
post #30 of 409 Old 07-17-2006, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwaybloe View Post

Well, chalk me up for another one with this problem. Just got my HDMI cable for this DVD player over the weekend and hooked it up. I also have a coax digital out connected to my receiver. When I use the HDMI cable, I get 2 channel stereo, when I unplug the HDMI from the back of the DVD player, the sound instantly changes to full surround sound. I have yet to get in touch with Philips about this issue. Any help would be great!
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page