Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 260 Old 07-27-2006, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did you try www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?
But IIRC, there is currently no way to hack the LG 191 to make it region free as the hacks that worked for other LG DVD players won't work for this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 260 Old 07-28-2006, 07:22 AM

Liked: 10
for me (and im using the UK version of this player) both the usual hacks work

Region code:1
With no disc in the drive on the remote press 000 then an on screen menu should appear giving you the option to set the region.

Region Code:2
with no disc in the drive on the remote press Pause,3,1,4,1,5,9
0=all

as did these codes though it was picky about timings

Video/HDMI Info Page:
Pause,2,4,8,6,5

Factory reset + SYSTEM INFORMATION page
go to Setup/video/TV Aspect/16:9
and press 1,3,9,7,1,3,9,ENTER

Still looking for ways to disbale HDCP/Macrovision
post #93 of 260 Old 07-28-2006, 12:28 PM

How can I change LG DN191H region code ? I ´ve got the eprom menu with the values 55 53 00 47 02 55 f4 ff, but wthat data Do i ahave to change?.I haven´t been able to change the region code. I tried with 000 on the remote but it didn´t work. I only can watch dvd with region code 1.
Thanks a lot.
post #94 of 260 Old 07-29-2006, 12:35 AM

Hi All, This is my first post and I just wanted to say "WOW" this website really opened my eyes to the whole home theatre scene.

Right now im looking for a decent tv for the bedroom, it was a tough choice between the LG 30FS4D and the samsung 30" slimfit comprable model- but im going with the LG.

The downside to LG was the 1 HDMI, which will be used for HD SAT so that leaves me with a DVD player void. Aparently the LG DN191H can upscale through component. However it is aparently being pulled, so it wont be available for long.

My question is, out of the box will it? I searched and saw a thread about it- but it said "hacked LG DN191H can upscale through component."
I saw one at bestbuy so I thought about picking it up. I just wanted to make sure it would upscale without HDMI.

I have the Sony 60" SXRD XBR as my main tv with the Sony DVP-NS75H hooked up via Monster 1000 series HDMI and the picture is great.

Thanks
post #95 of 260 Old 07-29-2006, 09:20 AM

sorry I didnt see this thread and my post was moved here.

So bottom line seems this WILL NOT upscale through component?
post #96 of 260 Old 07-29-2006, 02:23 PM

@ tvnoob
"However it is aparently being pulled, so it wont be available for long." where did you hear this ?
post #97 of 260 Old 07-29-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipside View Post

@ tvnoob
"However it is aparently being pulled, so it wont be available for long." where did you hear this ?

It was in another thread about this player, someone on this board said it.
Something to the effect of "hard to find them new now, so buy it while you can"

I work at bestbuy- While my store doesnt carry it, I checked other stores in the area and they have an abundance of 10-15 units, and our warehouse had about ~190

So im not sure whats up with it. I liked the whole upconvert through component- but it apparently cant do it. It seems to be a good player, so I may go for it afterall.
post #98 of 260 Old 07-30-2006, 02:49 AM

Ahh yes i read that thread , im a little unsure where that poster got there info as afaik this is a brand new device , hell its only been out about 2 months in the UK and unless theres some major issues with it (and i dont think they count the lack of component up convert as one ) i cant see them pulling it . I think what is needed is a wider user base attempting to hack it a bit. I find it odd that the US device wont take the same multiregion codes as the UK one but thats two people who have said it . Im going to keep having a go at mine but its a bit piecemeal as i have a 3 month old child who takes up most of my time and hes much more fun
post #99 of 260 Old 07-31-2006, 07:41 AM
Lim

I am located in Malaysia and this model LG DNX190H is available here.

DNX190H - is it able to upconvert through component? I need this info for upgrade for my Sanyo Z2.

I am not worried about region, because all DVD players in Malaysia are sold region-free and they are able to play RCE disc without any hack.
post #100 of 260 Old 08-04-2006, 03:40 PM

Will this player do upscaling when using HDMI to DVI cable since my TV doesn't have HDMI. I could use Component but I have alot of Disney movies that are most like protected.
post #101 of 260 Old 08-08-2006, 07:36 PM

I have been working the remote my new LG-DN191H. When I press pause, 7,7,7,7,7,7 I get a screen blue backdrop white centered page full of the letter F.

Kinda looks like this:

FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

Not sure what this means? Any ideas?

Tim REgan
post #102 of 260 Old 08-09-2006, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
tried this player over the weekend..its going back..no dvd-a multichannel w/hdmi..really bad overscan checked with avia left side was 11 right side was 6..with my rp82 Im at 5 all the way around...didnt bother to check component....
post #103 of 260 Old 08-13-2006, 04:00 AM

Hi guys. Hopefully someone can give me an answer. I just purchased the lg DN191H from Best Buy. I had upgraded from the LG LDA-418 model. The only problem that I have with this is that when I play letter box divx movies, it stretches it vertically instead of giving me the black bars. The only way that I can the black bars back is if I change the setup mode to 4x3 instead of 16x9 and set it to letterbox. The only problem is that it squeezes the video down too much. They all look "fat" now. I did not have this problem with the old lg model. Now I'm thinking of bringing this back. LG tech support was pretty useless as they hardly understood what I was talking about and gave me the same answer of running it in 4x3 mode. I've got the player hooked up to a panansonic plamsa with both HDMI and component cables to see if it made a difference.

Thanks.

PSN ID Cyber125
post #104 of 260 Old 08-13-2006, 04:42 AM

I returned mine to BB. Would not play back DVD+RW (only DVD-RW) and had some hesitations on divx. I believe that the component did scale up except for commercial DVD's. I'm getting the OPPO 970 instead.
post #105 of 260 Old 08-13-2006, 07:49 AM

I envy the British. They have a choice between a version the same as the DN191H here with a card reader or one with a USB reader (DNX-190UH). We only get the card reader. Even worse is they're the same price. I can't get myself to buy the DN191H for $120 when I know another version exists with a feature I'll definitely use (USB) for the same price. I've searched eBay and Google for sellers in the US with no luck. Argh.
post #106 of 260 Old 08-13-2006, 10:04 AM

Does anyone with either player mind testing QPEL encoded files, DivX and especially XviD?

Anyone mind taking some pictures of the directory display of the DN191H or DNX190UH? If not, do you mind describing it? How many characters displayed per file? How many files listed at once? Easy to navigate?

Does either load video relatively quickly? Photos?

How does it handle external subtitles (srt, sub, smi)? Are they placed close to the bottom? Easy to read?

When playing files (MP3, DivX, JPEG), does it advance to the next on its own?

When running a slideshow divided into folders, does it advance to the next folder on its own? The Philips 5960 stops at the end of each folder. Then you have to navigate out of it and to the next on your own.

Can you play MP3s and run a slideshow simultaneously?

How well does it read DVD-RWs? Burned discs in general?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am looking for a new player and don't want to pay a restocking fee if it really isn't what I'm looking for. Thanks.
post #107 of 260 Old 08-16-2006, 06:33 PM

Hi,

Has anybody managed to unlock region code for the DN191H ?
I recently acquired this DVD and need to unlock it to region free. I´ve tried all sorts of LG codes and even tried with the CD-R option without success.
Since the remote hacks didn´t work, I was hoping altering the EEPROM sequence. Mine shows "55 53 00 47 02 55 F4 FF". Does anybody know which of these bytes corresponds to the region code lock ?
Please help !

Marco.
post #108 of 260 Old 08-16-2006, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Please close this thread on this bogus player...sheesh!!
post #109 of 260 Old 08-18-2006, 12:05 AM

whoa bud-man , chill out
post #110 of 260 Old 08-18-2006, 12:12 AM

First a disclaimer, i have a UK version of this player which it seems may be a tad different to the US models as i can happliy use multiregion codes (though still no luck on upscaling over component)

Does anyone with either player mind testing QPEL encoded files, DivX and especially XviD? - Done and they play fine

Anyone mind taking some pictures of the directory display of the DN191H or DNX190UH? If not, do you mind describing it? How many characters displayed per file? How many files listed at once? Easy to navigate? - if i geta mo when i get home i'll fire up the digi cam

Does either load video relatively quickly? Photos? - i can only say they load faster than they did on my Philips 762

How does it handle external subtitles (srt, sub, smi)? Are they placed close to the bottom? Easy to read? - again screen shots would be best but it does handle all these sub versions

When playing files (MP3, DivX, JPEG), does it advance to the next on its own? - Yes

When running a slideshow divided into folders, does it advance to the next folder on its own? The Philips 5960 stops at the end of each folder. Then you have to navigate out of it and to the next on your own. - dont know as ive not really used that function

Can you play MP3s and run a slideshow simultaneously? - yes

How well does it read DVD-RWs? Burned discs in general? - Seems to be fine

Sorry for all the questions, but I am looking for a new player and don't want to pay a restocking fee if it really isn't what I'm looking for. Thanks. - Dont worry thats what teh forums are about , the manual on teh LG website has alot of info as well btw
post #111 of 260 Old 08-18-2006, 07:35 AM

Thanks flipside! I can't wait to see pics as I haven't seen any of it yet.

When running a slideshow divided into folders, does it advance to the next folder on its own? I like dividing smaller files (mp3s) into folders on a DVD-RW so they're easier to navigate. So the fact that the Philips 5960 stops at the end of each folder irritates me so much.
post #112 of 260 Old 08-19-2006, 04:44 AM

When running a slideshow divided into folders, does it advance to the next folder on its own? The Philips 5960 stops at the end of each folder. Then you have to navigate out of it and to the next on your own. - Nope its the same as the Philips , no folder advance.

How well does it read DVD-RWs? Burned discs in general? - Doesnt seem to handle dvd+r's but +RW's are fine . Though this +r may down to the max file limitation, it cna only handle 1012 files on 1 disc but as thats the only +r i have i can t really test any further
post #113 of 260 Old 08-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Lim

Any luck with upconverting over component yet? Found any hacks yet?
post #114 of 260 Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 PM

Just a note to say how much I like this player. The video image is quite good. I played a copy of Toy Story and Monsters Inc. These were burned copies from my retail editions, using One Click and Any DVD. The image upconverted to 1080i via components. The blacks were deep and the colors were rich and acurate. The sound was very good useing 96khz. I am now watching the Lord of the Rings Extended Version and everything looks good. I purchased at the local BB. I got it for under $100 tax included via price matching there website price. This player replaces my old Liteon LVD2001. It gave up the ghost earlier this week, no video. If you are considering this player you will find, for the money, it is a top performer.
post #115 of 260 Old 09-07-2006, 05:58 AM
Lim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdm813 View Post

The image upconverted to 1080i via components. The blacks were deep and the colors were rich and acurate.

Is this DVD Player able to upconvert via component?

Many said only able to upconvert via HDMI, and not component.
post #116 of 260 Old 09-07-2006, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lim View Post

Is this DVD Player able to upconvert via component?

Many said only able to upconvert via HDMI, and not component.

It only upconverts via components, useing burned DVDs. Sorry for any confusion
post #117 of 260 Old 09-07-2006, 08:18 AM

Checkout the Product Manual, you may see this:

COMPONENT VIDEO OUT
PAL
1280 x 720p
720 x 576p
720 x 576i

NTSC
1920 x 1080i
1280 x 720p
720 x 480p
720 x 480i

Code:
For 720p and 1080i resolution on the component
video out, only non-copy protected discs can be
played back. If the disc is copy protected, it will be
displayed at the 576p(480p) resolution without
HDMI cable connection.
post #118 of 260 Old 09-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

I bought this player yesterday and run it over HDMI upscaling DVDs to 1080i. I am impressed with PQ and sound. This is the last standard def DVD player I will ever buy.
post #119 of 260 Old 10-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
One question, does the 191 do vertical stretch to get rid of the black bars like the 418 and the Zenith 318 does?
post #120 of 260 Old 10-10-2006, 01:48 PM

Okay I am one of the unfortunate people who own the LG DN191H DVD player. I got this from a Best Buy 3 weeks ago while on holiday in the US. I live in Europe for the record.

Now when I got here, it worked fine with HDMI. I bought a brand new HDMI to DVI cable from MonsterCable.

After 1 play, the DVD has gone bananas. First the picture was skipping, even when there's no DVD inside. The background picture when you switch it on skipped. Now whenever I insert a DVD as soon as it starts playing, I get a blue screen and that's it.

It works fine via Component, but not with HDMI anymore. I changed the cable just in case, but no luck. Same problem. So basically, the setup and the background image is displayed while with HDMI, just when the movie starts playing it goes blank.

I called LG Support, the rep who talked to me was a total b!tch. She told me pay $99 for repair, shipping and part. I said that's BS since I bought this for $99. And she said you have no warranty since you're out of country. I have to read the warranty to make sure that is the case but still, I ain't paying one cent. Then she went on and on and on and I said you know what, forget it and hung up on her.

Any similar problems?

Thanks.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page