Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 260 Old 01-14-2007, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreshour View Post

I'm really upset that this player seems to stretch all the xvid/divx files instead of using the black bars. If anyone knows how to get it to use black bars, please let me know!

Set the output res to 480p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 260 Old 01-14-2007, 09:38 PM

OK - I now know (from reading here) that the DN191H will only upconvert via HDMI...

Does upconverting really make that big of a difference? I will be connecting to a Mitsubishi HD1000U projector, which maxes out at 720.

I'm trying to get a grasp of all of this - normal DVDs are at 480, right? my projector is limited to 720, so if I try to send it 1080, I'm still only going to get 720, right? - Is there a noticeable improvement in a 480 DVD playing at 480 vs a 480 DVD playing at 720?

The difference for me will be an HDMI cable that is about 25' long, and with my budget, I would hope to see a marked improvement if I buy this cable (since that would be the ONLY reason for the cable purchase).

I'm not far enough along with the theater build to actually test for myself, but the electronics have already been bought...

Jeff
"Victory Lane Theater"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 260 Old 01-15-2007, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Jeff, from what I have seen on my Sony HS51a using this DVD player, the upconversion done at the DVD level is better than what is done at the projector level. FYI, if you have a digital projector, no matter what brand it is, it upconverts the signal to the native resolution of the projector.

The other reason for allowing the DVD player to do it is that it does it while the signal is still digital and then passes it to the projector in digital format as well, which should be less prone to interferance from the cables.

AVS Forum sponsor MonoPrice has good deals on HDMI cables, I got a 50' HDMI cable from them:MonoPrice HDMI cables

Scott

post #184 of 260 Old 01-16-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrickar View Post

I have the DN191H connected to my 32" Samsung HDTV, and the picture is much improved over standard DVD, with one exception. I found that dark portions of the display show serious artifacting. If I am watching a dark movie like "The Matrix" the effect is so apparent it ruins the experience of watching this. It is connected using a Philips 6' DVI-HDMI cable to the TV. It does this regardless of the resolution setting. In the owner's manual, it states if you experience problems such as this your TV may not be compatible? What gives? Anyone else have this issue? I have planned to take the unit to a friends house and connect it to his TV with the same cable to rule out the unit and/or cable being bad.

I have a Toshiba 32" CRT HDTV, and over the HDMI/DV Link I see pure black patches in all the dark areas. I believe this may be because the HDMI colorspace has a higher range (16 vs 12 bit?) of values and the conversion from HDMI to DVI is "clipping" the darkest values to black. If the player allowed selection of the colorspace or normalizing to 12 bit, this could be avoided, but with this player HDMI to DVI conversion will likely always display that effect with at least some DVDs.

I also was not able to get the player to change resolution modes, it just displayed the slashed circle (international 'no' sign) when I pressed the resolution button on the player, when using hdmi to dvi. My TV only supports 1080i, so I'll have to try the lg191 against my 720p lcd at home.

Also, my unit pauses for no reason on some rental cds that look fine visually.
post #185 of 260 Old 01-16-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Jeremy, when you were trying to change resolutions, did you have a DVD playing? If so, try stopping it and hit the resolution button again.

Scott

post #186 of 260 Old 01-16-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, also, welcome to the forum!

Scott

post #187 of 260 Old 01-24-2007, 05:11 PM

Ok I read this whole thread but I am still lost.

I have a JVC HD-61G787. Its 720p. So my question is, will this DVD player upconvert the DVDs to 720p?

Do I need to connect with HDMI for it to work?

And would the DVDs have to be HD-DVD or can they be regular DVDs?

I want to thank you in advance for your replies.
post #188 of 260 Old 01-24-2007, 05:21 PM

If you connect via HDMI you will be able to upconvert to 720P. The player only plays standard DVDs not HD-DVD. Hope this answers you question.
Frank
post #189 of 260 Old 01-25-2007, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALLASLEO View Post

Ok I read this whole thread but I am still lost.

I have a JVC HD-61G787. Its 720p. So my question is, will this DVD player upconvert the DVDs to 720p?

O.K., I am lost. Are you asking about the JVC or the LG? This is an LG thread, are they the same under different brands?

There are a few upconverting DVD players that will upconvert the image to 720p or 1080i over component, but most need to be hacked to do it. I have not found anyone who knows how to get the LG to pass the signal through component if the DVD has HDCP on it. If you use an HDMI cable, it will upconvert just fine.

This is different than HD-DVD or BluRay in that the native resolution of the standard DVD's is only 480p and the player is upconverting the image to the higher resolution with software/processing.

Scott

post #190 of 260 Old 01-25-2007, 07:49 AM

I have an LG DN191H that was having intermittent sound dropouts every once in a while when the PCM sampling rate was set to 96 kHz. Apparently this was caused by noise in an overpriced, but poorly shielded, Sony HDMI cable. I returned that cable to BB and replaced it with a much less expensive cable from Monoprice.com with ferrite cores at both ends, and no longer have the problem. FWIW.
post #191 of 260 Old 01-25-2007, 09:00 AM
oye

Will this player pass DTS to a receiver that has a decoder over coaxial digital or optical? I see some reviews it will and others saying it wont.
Whats the deal? I dont want to buy it if i cant decode DTS surround.

Thanks. First post!
post #192 of 260 Old 01-25-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdm813 View Post

If you connect via HDMI you will be able to upconvert to 720P. The player only plays standard DVDs not HD-DVD. Hope this answers you question.
Frank

that answers my question. thanks.
post #193 of 260 Old 01-25-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oye View Post

Will this player pass DTS to a receiver that has a decoder over coaxial digital or optical? I see some reviews it will and others saying it wont.
Whats the deal? I dont want to buy it if i cant decode DTS surround.

Thanks. First post!

According to the manual it will pass DTS over either its optical or coax connections. I haven't tried it.
post #194 of 260 Old 01-25-2007, 09:54 AM
oye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ove1 View Post

According to the manual it will pass DTS over either its optical or coax connections. I haven't tried it.

great - thanks!
post #195 of 260 Old 01-28-2007, 07:56 AM

I plan to plug the video from this dvd player into my new tv w/ hdmi, and use the regular stereo audio over component to my receiver. Will this work?

Thanks...
post #196 of 260 Old 01-28-2007, 01:13 PM

I think you mean stereo audio over composite (L/R RCA cables) and not component - component is a video only thing... but to answer - yes.

Jeff
"Victory Lane Theater"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #197 of 260 Old 01-29-2007, 05:46 PM

I've buzzed most of this thread, but haven't come upon this issue, not very serious, but slightly annoying. I have an LG DN191H hooked up via hdmi to my Sony KDF 42E2000 set, I have no picture or audio problems, but the player keeps wanting to default back to 480p. I am constantly having to go back to the setup menu to change it back to 720p before I watch a movie. Once changed, I don't have any more problems and it will stay in 720, any thoughts or ideas? I hope it's just some setting I haven't noticed...
post #198 of 260 Old 01-29-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingham71 View Post

I've buzzed most of this thread, but haven't come upon this issue, not very serious, but slightly annoying. I have an LG DN191H hooked up via hdmi to my Sony KDF 42E2000 set, I have no picture or audio problems, but the player keeps wanting to default back to 480p. I am constantly having to go back to the setup menu to change it back to 720p before I watch a movie. Once changed, I don't have any more problems and it will stay in 720, any thoughts or ideas? I hope it's just some setting I haven't noticed...

You do not have to go to the set up menu. All you have to do is STOP the movie and hit the upconvert button to 720P not that big a deal. I'm used to it.
post #199 of 260 Old 01-29-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You do not have to go to the set up menu. All you have to do is STOP the movie and hit the upconvert button to 720P not that big a deal. I'm used to it.

But it does switch back regularly? That's stupid. I have not run my HDMI cable into the attic yet, so I am still over component on 480p.

Scott

post #200 of 260 Old 01-30-2007, 12:07 AM

It will only upconvert copied DVDs via components. Granted I don't think they thought it out before they released the machine. But for the money spent it is still a very good machine.
post #201 of 260 Old 01-30-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Granted I don't think they thought it out before they released the machine. But for the money spent it is still a very good machine.

I agree, it seems to be all around a pretty good DVD player, especially for how much it costs, but I find it a little strange that you have to change it from 480p to the resolution you want every time you put in a different disc, but I guess I can't have it all for 70 bucks!
post #202 of 260 Old 01-31-2007, 05:19 AM

Mine is heading back to Best Buy today. I've had it almost a month - it's been sitting in it's box almost the entire time, I bought it to use in a home theater that is under construction. This past week we got far enough along that I could unbox the components (through sanding sheetrock, all cleaned up now) and have been trying to use it to play music CDs to listen too while the construction continues.

I have tried a couple of different disks, and they all skip terribly - on top of that, I have had to push the "open" button several times to get it to actually open the tray. It has worked on the first push a time or two, but mostly it ignores the open button.

This is my first experience with anything LG besides an older cell phone, and to be honest, I'm not impressed at this point. I am going to just swap it for another one to see if it behaves the same way. I really need this model to work since my equipment rack was built to be component specific - if not this model, another model with almost identical height is the only thing I can go with...

$70?!? - I gave $99 for this one - now I'm even more bummed!

Jeff
"Victory Lane Theater"

post #203 of 260 Old 01-31-2007, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Why anyone would use this thing to play CDs is beyond me.
post #204 of 260 Old 01-31-2007, 07:29 AM

Using it to play CDs is a temporary thing - to have something to listen too while working on the room. But the way it handles CDs indicates to me that it might have problems with DVDs as well - it very well could be a problem with just my unit, at least I hope so...

But - am I mistaken in thinking it is supposed to be able to play music CDs?

Jeff
"Victory Lane Theater"

post #205 of 260 Old 01-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But - am I mistaken in thinking it is supposed to be able to play music CDs?

Maybe someone else can chime in here. I've never used it for playing CDs. Can it? I'm sure it's supposed to...just check the manual. However, it seems to me that using this device to play CDs is a lot like using the butt end of a screwdriver to drive a nail: it can be done, but it's definitely not the best tool for the job. It's my impression that people (including myself) buy this device primarily for its DivX/XVid playback and its support of an external USB device. There is only one other player on the market (currently) that does both AFAIK.
post #206 of 260 Old 01-31-2007, 07:49 AM

Of course it's supposed to be able to play CDs - ANY DVD player should be able to play CDs.

I don't know how much I will use it for that (apparently very little since it has problems with it) - I also don't care about divx or xvid - all I wanted was a single disk DVD player with HDMI that would handle upscaling - a sales guy at BB pointed to this as the best deal. The memory card slots on the front were cool enough to push me into buying it - I wonder if they work?

Jeff
"Victory Lane Theater"

post #207 of 260 Old 01-31-2007, 08:09 AM

Mine plays everything it's supposed to. No problems. I guess yours slipped through the inspection.
post #208 of 260 Old 02-01-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Has anyone experienced playback issues with certain movies?

I've watched several movies on my LG DN191H and had not experienced any problems...until I put in Fearless. What ends up happening, is that the movie will skip at certain parts of the movie, similar to the single brief pause when the laser is switching between layers on the DVD. Except, this will happen multiple times through out the movie, and it always happens in the same spot.

I watched a few other movies without incident, until I watched Munich. Same thing, it was skipping in the same place through out the movie, and always in the same spot. It started to get worse towards the end of the movie.

My brother-in-law and my parents watched both movies on their DVD players (one had a different LG dvd player), no issues.

Has anyone else experienced this? The only thing I can think of is that, I think, these movies did not start with the default resolution that I had set (1080i). I thought that maybe it was the movie, so I took Fearless back and exchanged for a new one. Tested it, and it happened again. Tested it on other machines and it did not happen again.

Some help would be greatly appreciated.
post #209 of 260 Old 02-01-2007, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I have noticed some brief skipping like you are saying, but never even checked to see if it was the same place all the time. I also don't have it doing any upconverting as I am on component right now (and didn't know you had to tell it 720p or 1080i every time you put a new disc in) so I was thinking maybe it was the way I had it hooked up.

Hmm, think Best Buy will take it back after buying it the day before Thanksgiving? I have the original box and receipt!

Scott

post #210 of 260 Old 02-02-2007, 07:13 AM

For a month or so I use LG DNX-190H (The european model of the player). I also have the DivX skipping problem. Quite irritating. I can make the following conclusions:
1. The failures appear more often if the CD-R is burned on higher speed (>10x)
2. DivXs burned on DVD-R are not skipping! (I burn them on 4X speed - may be that's why)

The player is not so bad despite all.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page