New LG-DN191H - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 260 Old 03-02-2007, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, (DN191H )

Lets say I just want a DVD player that will upconvert through HDMI (gonna have to get a switcher since I have 1 HDMI port) and all I play is store bought movies. Will this be a good player? TV is Sony 55A20. I like to keep it simple

Paul

Also is there any alternative (Samsung?) I should look at through BB. Only reason BB is mentioned is because I have gift card and and upconverting player is really all I can think of that I can use from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 260 Old 03-02-2007, 08:42 PM

Any one experiencing 'no audio' with LG DN191H?

I am new to AVS forum ... please bear with me ...

I hooked up the LG DVD Player via HDMI to my Sony KDS 55A2000. Though I get the video, the audio does not appear to be supported (a message is displayed for a few seconds on every DVD that is played). I have tried a few DVDs, in vain.

I had picked the said DVD player at BB for $90 (before a $40 gift card for the Open Box unit, with the box and no missing parts).

Any suggestions?

Thank you
post #243 of 260 Old 03-02-2007, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have had no problems with the audio except when it cuts out in small sections, like it did in War of the Worlds. I wanted to test my new subwoofer recently and popped that DVD in and put it on the pod sequence, when they come out of the ground and it was like it was skipping and trying to find the location on the disc again, except the video never stopped or skipped or anything. This sucks. I know it was under $100, but how can they sell these if they can't even figure out the audio? I didn't have it set to anything like DTS, it was just normal Dolby Digital. Anyone else notice this problem on this section of War of the Worlds?

Scott

post #244 of 260 Old 03-07-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_selvanayakam View Post

Any one experiencing 'no audio' with LG DN191H?

I am new to AVS forum ... please bear with me ...

I hooked up the LG DVD Player via HDMI to my Sony KDS 55A2000. Though I get the video, the audio does not appear to be supported (a message is displayed for a few seconds on every DVD that is played). I have tried a few DVDs, in vain.

I had picked the said DVD player at BB for $90 (before a $40 gift card for the Open Box unit, with the box and no missing parts).

Any suggestions?

Thank you

I ran into the same sort of thing with my Sony KDF 42E2000 set. I have the player run to the TV via HDMI cable, and got the "audio not supported" message on screen. I had to change the setting in the audio menu from bitstream to PCM, (or it might be the other way around, but I'm not at home, so I can't be sure ). But that worked for me...
post #245 of 260 Old 03-08-2007, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

So, anyone know if there is anything I can do to get rid of the audio skipping issue? I really don't want to send it back to LG and I have had it longer than 90 days already, so I don't know if I could even do that. What is the factory warrantee?

Scott

post #246 of 260 Old 03-08-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

So, anyone know if there is anything I can do to get rid of the audio skipping issue? I really don't want to send it back to LG and I have had it longer than 90 days already, so I don't know if I could even do that. What is the factory warrantee?

I had intermittent second or two audio drop-outs when 96KHz PCM decoding was selected. It didn't do it when 48KHz decoding was selected. I returned a horribly overpriced Sony HDMI cable to the B&M where I purchased it and replaced it with an inexpensive HDMI cable from Monoprice.com. The Monoprice cable had ferrite cores on both ends. I haven't had any further problems with audio drop-outs after replacing the cable, so I suspect it was a noise or distortion issue with the binary pulse train over the Sony cable.
post #247 of 260 Old 03-09-2007, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

If I remember correctly, I switched to 48 from 96 already (I will have to verify this to make sure) and the audio is being delivered via either fiber or digital coax (can't remember which) since my signal doesn't go through my AV receiver.

Scott

post #248 of 260 Old 03-12-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

Has anyone experienced playback issues with certain movies?

I've watched several movies on my LG DN191H and had not experienced any problems...until I put in Fearless. What ends up happening, is that the movie will skip at certain parts of the movie, similar to the single brief pause when the laser is switching between layers on the DVD. Except, this will happen multiple times through out the movie, and it always happens in the same spot.

I watched a few other movies without incident, until I watched Munich. Same thing, it was skipping in the same place through out the movie, and always in the same spot. It started to get worse towards the end of the movie.

My brother-in-law and my parents watched both movies on their DVD players (one had a different LG dvd player), no issues.

Has anyone else experienced this? The only thing I can think of is that, I think, these movies did not start with the default resolution that I had set (1080i). I thought that maybe it was the movie, so I took Fearless back and exchanged for a new one. Tested it, and it happened again. Tested it on other machines and it did not happen again.

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

With increasing problems with my LG, I was able to get the deck replaced by LG, according to their work order.

I've hadn't had any of the issues I had previously, however I'm still having problems with Jet Li's Fearless. Is there anyone who has this movie that is experiencing the same problems?

The pause isn't as long as it was before (from half a second to a quarter of a second) but it is still happening. It's not like the pause that you normally would see when you the layer is changed. It's happening in several specific scenes of the DVD.

I've had family members test it on their DVD players and they've told me that they have not had any problems when watching my copy of the movie.

2 scenes that I can recall clearly this happening, was the in the beginning of the scene where Jet Li is fighting the wrestler. The camera is panning downward as they are showing the crowd in this circus-style tent. The other was the morning after Jet Li killed Chin. As the camera is panning down over the restaurant sign, it happens again.

I'm glad I had a gift card when I bought this DVD player. I don't think I'll be buying any LG products any time soon if this is an inherit flaw in all of the DN191H DVD players.
post #249 of 260 Old 03-12-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

I'm glad I had a gift card when I bought this DVD player. I don't think I'll be buying any LG products any time soon if this is an inherit flaw in all of the DN191H DVD players.

I have been thinking the same thing, except I didn't have any gift cards or anything. This player is supposed to play DVD's. Simple, right? Maybe not.

Scott

post #250 of 260 Old 03-12-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have been thinking the same thing, except I didn't have any gift cards or anything. This player is supposed to play DVD's. Simple, right? Maybe not.

Yeah, no kidding. I think I'll use this DVD player as a back up one when I procure another TV.

I have a few other DVD players I have (aren't HDMI and won't upconvert though) and I'll give them a go on Fearless tonight to see if the problem is still there.
post #251 of 260 Old 03-12-2007, 06:19 PM

[With increasing problems with my LG, I was able to get the deck replaced by LG, according to their work order.

I've hadn't had any of the issues I had previously, however I'm still having problems with Jet Li's Fearless. Is there anyone who has this movie that is experiencing the same problems?

The pause isn't as long as it was before (from half a second to a quarter of a second) but it is still happening. It's not like the pause that you normally would see when you the layer is changed. It's happening in several specific scenes of the DVD.
]Quote by ppshooky

I have switched back to my old Pioneer player, no upconvert but the picture looks just as good & has no problems w/ pausing. LG/Zenith have a major issue with the LG-DN191H & DVB-612. They can't even fix the problem under warranty. They may send you a replacement player that does the same exact thing. People should not buy these players, don't waste your money!!! If have bought one, take it back & get something else. It is very aggravating that a company can produce a bad product & not repair the problem.
post #252 of 260 Old 03-12-2007, 09:52 PM

My LG DN-191H freezes frames and pauses with certain DVD+R disks I've burned. Could we have some discussion on what disks work? I've had the best luck with Sony DVD-R and burn at 12X just fine.

I've had problems with Memorex DVD+R, Verbatim DVD+R, and Fujifilm DVD+R. I've also had problems with Memorex DVD-RW and Fujifilm DVD+RW.

There are also a few off-brand disks with problems (e.g. Staples). There are no errors in my burning technique, it is the disk. In essence, I've spent as much money experimenting with disks as the cost of the unit itself.

I highly recommend Sony DVD-R.

The setup is upconverting to 720P over component. We need to have a running tally of what works and what doesn't. I don't feel that the player is necessarily defective, but it is picky about what it plays. Typically, when my movie freezes with one of the above brand disks it is toward the end of the film (I've played with decreasing disk burn to 4.2GB and it still doesn't help).
post #253 of 260 Old 03-13-2007, 11:13 PM

No comments on brand of DVD you are burning???
post #254 of 260 Old 03-14-2007, 06:58 AM

It freezes & pauses on new store bought DVD's. I have tried Pioneer DVD-RW, HP DVD-R, & Playo DVD-R all freeze & pause. These work flawlessly on other DVD players. I'm tired of wasting time & money on the LG/Zenith player, it's not worth it!!
post #255 of 260 Old 03-14-2007, 11:06 AM

I have this DVD player too. I have played various movies and noticed that it freezes on certain scenes. I press the rewind button to go back to the scene that showed the freezing and it plays it fine. I definitely will not spend another penny on an LG product. I bought it when it first came out and I mainly purchased it because of the upconverting capability via component. I should have purchased the OPPO instead. Oh well, I'll just enjoy the movies on my XBOX 360 HD DVD. BTW my XBOX 360 died on me and I returned it to COSTCO and since I am waiting for a new 360 to be delivered I decided to purchase the Toshiba HD DVD player HD-D2. I have played standard DVDs on it and since it upconverts was able to compare the picture quality vs the LG DVD player. Let me tell you that the TOSHIBA was a little better on upscaling the DVD's. The LG wasn't that far off. It would be great if LG was able to release a firmware update that would solve all of the problems. Otherwise don't spend your dollar on this LG player. What does LG stand for anyway? Must be Like Garbage.

XBox Live Gamer Tag: DWNLOW91
post #256 of 260 Old 03-15-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I've experienced the issue you were having, but replacing the deck seemed to fix that problem for the time being.

What I'm referring to, is constant pausing for a moment multiple times through out the movie (particularly in Munich and Fearless). If I rewind, the pause is still there. I know it's not the DVD, because I've traded the Fearless movie and the pause is in the same spot. I've also had my parents play both movies on their Pioneer and LG DVD player (different model), and it too played without incident.
post #257 of 260 Old 05-06-2007, 08:38 AM

I'm trying to play a movie (Deja Vu) on my DN191H on my Panny TH-50PH9UK and the movie is letterboxed? I have tried every resolution possible. I have tried also tried component and HDMI but in Full mode I can't get rid of the letterboxing. I'm thinking of calling this DVD defective (whether intentional or not) because there should be no letterboxing of a 16:9 movie on this display. Can someone explain to me why the DVD has letterboxing?

Thanks,
-Mark
post #258 of 260 Old 03-24-2012, 07:34 AM

This 191H DVD player is supossed to play DVD-Audio discs.
Anyone tried this unit as a DVD-Audio player? Has anyone been successful to get the DVD-Audio multichannel audio from the HDMI output?
I have mine connected to an RX-V671 Yamaha AVR with an HDMI cable and, when playing back a DVD-A disc, the on-screen display of the 191H shows in the audio section "PPCM 3/2.1"... but the Yamaha receiver only gets 2 channels. What would the first P would stand for in PPCM?
Any input or feedback on DVD-A playback would be appreciated.
post #259 of 260 Old 03-24-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine died a while back, so I can't help.

Scott

post #260 of 260 Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Mine died a while back, so I can't help.

Thanks, SVonhof.
Anyone else tried DVD-Audio with this unit? What was your experience?
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page