Oppo Digital DV-970HD FAQ / Brain dump - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Acoustic Energy Aego2's aren't exactly discerning speakers. I can't imagine hearing any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto3645 View Post

This is a very good -- perhaps great --- SACD player! Last night I listened to Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" (the SACD version of the RCA Living Stereo recording) and it sounded fabulous. I realize that in my hookup -- 970 to Panny plasma TV via HDMI to Acoustic Energy Aego2 speakers via Panny's audio-out RCA jacks -- I am not listening to a "pure" SACD signal. My understanding is that the 970 converts DSD to 2-channel PCM, and my TV is converting PCM to analog. Nevertheless, the results were very satisfying. The sound was very pure, lifelike and dynamic. Wind instruments, in particular, sounded very lifelike. The sound was free of digital artifacts; great bass, extended and natural treble, natural tonality in the midrange.

I also tried the "audio only" feature, in which the player's video circuitry is off. I frankly could not hear a difference, but this is on a single, relatively limited audition.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

How many $150 DVD players have a USB connection? That sort of rings the same as all those that downed the 971 because it was a DVI rather than HDMI!

Sorry, my intention was not to tell that 970 is not a great player for the money. Given that in PC world 2.0 is a standard since 3 years or so, I justed wanted to clarify, which USB has the Oppo.

Does actually 971 has 1.1 too?
Old 06-04-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcast View Post

Because it was made primarily for external video processor people, hence 480i over HDMI.

If the 970 is primarily made for external video processor people, then for me is the idea to connect a 150$ player to a 2000$ scaler (price of DVDO iScan VP-30) not verly clear? Do I miss here something?

inomics
Old 06-04-2006, 01:33 PM

Hello,
I too have the Sony SXRD (60") and am trying to decide between the Oppo 970HD or the 971H. What's the difference or benifit with either model? Picture quality is my priority. I intend to hook the HDMI direct to the TV and take the optical out to an older DD/DTS receiciver for sound. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto3645 View Post

This is a very good -- perhaps great --- SACD player!

I think to qualify as "great" it would have to pass 5.1 channels of audio.

Which brings up a question. Does the 970 pass SACD/DVD-A 5.1 over the analog outputs only? I noticed when I tried BIA today that the HDMI connection only showed 2 channels of PCM at 88.1 being received at my HDMI 1.1 compliant receiver. Plus, I can't get it to do anymore than 2 ch of DVD-A either. Is that by design or do I have something set wrong. It's not a big as that's not what I got the player for, but there is no indication in the documentation I've seen that would indicate that restriction. HDMI 1.1 spec is capable of 5.1 ch of audio so I'm guessing Oppo didn't include that capability in their implementation..?
Old 06-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Which brings up a question. Does the 970 pass SACD/DVD-A 5.1 over the analog outputs only? I noticed when I tried BIA today that the HDMI connection only showed 2 channels of PCM at 88.1 being received at my HDMI 1.1 compliant receiver. Plus, I can't get it to do anymore than 2 ch of DVD-A either. Is that by design or do I have something set wrong. It's not a big as that's not what I got the player for, but there is no indication in the documentation I've seen that would indicate that restriction. HDMI 1.1 spec is capable of 5.1 ch of audio so I'm guessing Oppo didn't include that capability in their implementation..?

I don't own the player yet, but based on post 192 of this thread it may be your settings. You might want to recheck your user guide, sections of which are quoted in this post.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think to qualify as "great" it would have to pass 5.1 channels of audio.

Make sure HDMi and SACD is set to multi-channel, and make sure you are not using 480p (post 151, I think...bug reported). However, if you are succesful PLEASE REPORT IT.... it is groundbreaking (no stock player has reported ever sending 5.1 PCM SACD material over HDMI 1.1 even though theoretically it's possible). Hell, I think 2.0 SACD is grounbreaking, frankly.

"We're all bozos on this bus" - F.T.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inomics View Post

If the 970 is primarily made for external video processor people, then for me is the idea to connect a 150$ player to a 2000$ scaler (price of DVDO iScan VP-30) not verly clear? Do I miss here something?

inomics

Put that way, you have a point. If you have neither, it may or may not make sense to plan to buy a $2000 scaler and a $150 player.

However, for those that already own a scaler, or who have a very good scaler built-in to their display unit, this player promises a path to potentially better image quality at a relatively low cost. Just how much better remains to be seen, as the 480i HDMI users share their feedback.

/steve
Old 06-04-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie View Post

Hello,
I too have the Sony SXRD (60") and am trying to decide between the Oppo 970HD or the 971H. What's the difference or benifit with either model? Picture quality is my priority. I intend to hook the HDMI direct to the TV and take the optical out to an older DD/DTS receiciver for sound. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would go with the 971 unless you're using a custom remote and are dying to have discrete on/off codes. personally, I decided to stay with the 971 as I like the faroudja chip

HD-P61R1U TV
cox DCT6416III cable box
Oppo DV971H DVD player
Old 06-04-2006, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:

I haven't seen this unit yet, so I don't know how good the 480i signal via HDMI is. However, in principle a lot of the features built in to more expensive DVD players that run up cost (scaling, deinterlacing, quality SACD and DVD-Audo performance) are totally useless if you just need a digital transport to feed an external scaler. If ALL you want is good 480i video via HDMI output and digital audio output, then in principle this could be done relatively cheaply.

Whether this particular unit does this remains to be seen.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Old 06-04-2006, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie View Post

Hello,

971 may MB-enhance on your display, 970 won't. You trade the better PQ of the 971 (due to better Faroudja deinterlacer) that may MB on your TV for what may be not quite as good PQ from the 970 with no MB. Ditto for the Sony NS75/NC85.

P.S. As you've probably noticed there are differing opinions here about Oppo vs Panny vs Sony, etc. so all you can really do is to take those differing opinions into account, come up with a shortlist and try them out to see which you like the best. I would not be surprised if some people buy both the 970 and 971 from Oppo and return the one that they prefer the least.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think to qualify as "great" it would have to pass 5.1 channels of audio....

Are there any players that pass 5.1 or greater audio over the HDMI cable? I think most DVD players will pass stereo through the HDMI, but you need digital coax or optical to a receiver to interpret the DD and DTS formats. Most players need the six analog RCA cables to pass the DVD-A and SACD surround formats.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

My Marantz Dv9600 HDMI 1.1 passes 5.1 DVD-Audio just fine. Any DVD-Audio HDMI 1.1 player should; it's part of the spec. SACD isn't; the PCM route is a road less (not reported yet) traveled.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post

I don't own the player yet, but based on post 192 of this thread it may be your settings. You might want to recheck your user guide, sections of which are quoted in this post.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I set everything the way it explains in that post. I guess I'll take another stab at it.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Are there any players that pass 5.1 or greater audio over the HDMI cable? I think most DVD players will pass stereo through the HDMI, but you need digital coax or optical to a receiver to interpret the DD and DTS formats. Most players need the six analog RCA cables to pass the DVD-A and SACD surround formats.

Pretty sure the Denon 39xx series does and there's probably others like ted_b's Marantz.

My Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player passes HiRez audio in PCM format over HDMI 1.1.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, while eval'ing the 9600 I had the Denon 3910 too. It passed 5.1 DVD-Audio on HDMI 1.1. Again, all 1.1 players will, or return them.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post

Put that way, you have a point. If you have neither, it may or may not make sense to plan to buy a $2000 scaler and a $150 player.

However, for those that already own a scaler, or who have a very good scaler built-in to their display unit, this player promises a path to potentially better image quality at a relatively low cost. Just how much better remains to be seen, as the 480i HDMI users share their feedback.

/steve

Thanks for clarification. Well, thats right. Probably my DLP Sammy has a built in scaler/video processor. I have to find out this yet. Then 970 would be attractive for me too. In particular, because of the HDMI transport.

BTW, my Sammy has used to be sold in Europe as Samsung SP-46L6HX. Does anyone know, what is the corresponding modell in US?

inomics
Old 06-04-2006, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post

Yeah, while eval'ing the 9600 I had the Denon 3910 too. It passed 5.1 DVD-Audio on HDMI 1.1. Again, all 1.1 players will, or return them.

I think to be more accurate, if the manufacturer has implemented that portion of the HDMI 1.1 spec they will. It's my understanding that HDMI 1.1 is not a guarantee that the equipment will pass 5.1, depends on the manufacturer. Not all HDMI implementations are the same.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Why does Oppo not recommend the 970 for displays over 50"? If I hook it up to my 60" display will I get bad PQ?

I just purchased the Samsung HL-S5688W, which I should have within a few weeks. Would it be fair to say that the PQ between the 970 passing through my TVs Faroudja chip would be just as good as buying a 971?

In theory, I'd think it would be better, since I'd be sending the data via HDMI.

On top of that, I'd get USB, which is important for me for listening to music.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think to be more accurate, if the manufacturer has implemented that portion of the HDMI 1.1 spec they will. It's my understanding that HDMI 1.1 is not a guarantee that the equipment will pass 5.1, depends on the manufacturer. Not all HDMI implementations are the same.

Keenan is right, the only guarantee for HDMI 1.1 is PCM. Beyond that the audio features are optional. You need to make sure the manufacturer implemented the feature you want. Some HDMI 1.1 will pass 5.1, some won't. Both are fully HDMI 1.1 compliant.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMONT View Post

I just purchased the Samsung HL-S5688W, which I should have within a few weeks. Would it be fair to say that the PQ between the 970 passing through my TVs Faroudja chip would be just as good as buying a 971?

In theory, I'd think it would be better, since I'd be sending the data via HDMI.

On top of that, I'd get USB, which is important for me for listening to music.

I take that back, maybe it doesn't have Faroudja.

Does anyone know what, if any, de-interlacer Samsung has built-in to these TVs and if they're any good to justify the purchase of a 970 without running through an external processor?
Old 06-04-2006, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Early model Samsungs had "DCDi by Faroudja". Not sure if later models do or if they changed to a different deinterlacer.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post

...Some HDMI 1.1 will pass 5.1, some won't....

Thanks all! I guess it boils down to the connectivity of a receiver that has HDMI switching, and you can then use the simplicity of an HDMI connection from the player. Otherwise, I see no reason for 5.1 being passed to the display? Am I missing something?
Old 06-04-2006, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by inomics View Post

Does actually 971 has 1.1 too?

Yes, it is USB 1.1. One thing you have to remember is that the PC world is concerned about extreme data transfering (external storage) which required USB 2.0, firewire, ethernet, and so forth.

A DVD player is primarily concerned with low level transfering (pictures and audio files) when using the USB interface. The only reason why you would need a 2.0 interface is to allow for higher data transfer rates for large files (DivX and so forth). USB 2.0, therefore, is less used in the AV world, and is much more expensive to impliment.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks all! I guess it boils down to the connectivity of a receiver that has HDMI switching, and you can then use the simplicity of an HDMI connection from the player. Otherwise, I see no reason for 5.1 being passed to the display? Am I missing something?

Many televisions have the option of sending out a digital (opitcal or coaxial) signal to a receiver. In this instance, you can use the television, rather than the receiver, as an audio and video hub. This is particuarly useful for less technical people, as they don't have to learn to use their receiver remote control.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMONT View Post

I take that back, maybe it doesn't have Faroudja.

Does anyone know what, if any, de-interlacer Samsung has built-in to these TVs and if they're any good to justify the purchase of a 970 without running through an external processor?

If you have a 1080i/p display, the need for a high-end de-interlacing due to the television either not supporting progressive scan, or the internal scaler will be doing all the work (1080i->1080p), as the DV-970HD will only produce a 1080i image.

I would personally recommend the DV-970HD for 1080i/p applications, because the 1080i image is sharper than the OPDV971H.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Many televisions have the option of sending out a digital (opitcal or coaxial) signal to a receiver. In this instance, you can use the television, rather than the receiver, as an audio and video hub. This is particuarly useful for less technical people, as they don't have to learn to use their receiver remote control.

I wonder when they will actually start implementing HDMI on TVs the way we consumers would expect them to. It would be much more convenient for many less technical people if the TV received 5.1 over HDMI and could act as a switching device and pass through the 5.1 through the TV out to the receiver.

As it stands almost all HDMI implementations in TVs today force 2-channel PCM from the source device to the TV, so their passthrough output is also 2-channel PCM instead of the 5.1 that most people would expect. They do however send 5.1 through the TV output if the internal ATSC or QAM tuner is used.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I set everything the way it explains in that post. I guess I'll take another stab at it.

Played with it again and still no go. Set everything the way it's explained in the earlier post/manual, and still only get 2 ch input to the receiver. For example, a 5.1 ch disc like Brothers In Arms SACD will indicate 88.2-kHz freq, with a ch map of 2/0/0. DVD-A displays PCM/digital and and 2 ch input. When using DVD-A with another player, a Denon 5900, the receiver will report 96-kHz and proper channel mapping.

Has it been confirmed that the 970 passes SACD and DVD-A Multi-Ch over the HDMI output?

Going to try the 5.1 analog outputs next.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post

I wonder when they will actually start implementing HDMI on TVs the way we consumers would expect them to. It would be much more convenient for many less technical people if the TV received 5.1 over HDMI and could act as a switching device and pass through the 5.1 through the TV out to the receiver.

As it stands almost all HDMI implementations in TVs today force 2-channel PCM from the source device to the TV, so their passthrough output is also 2-channel PCM instead of the 5.1 that most people would expect. They do however send 5.1 through the TV output if the internal ATSC or QAM tuner is used.

I think part of the problem is that when HDMI first came to be it was touted as the fixall to multiple cable setups. One cable does everything...well, we know that's not true, and the fact that consumers might use some method of external audio didn't seem to be given much thought when designing HDMI. It works fine for someone with just a DVD player and a TV, but it can be very annoying for folks like us. The fact that I have to run the output of a HD-A1 through my receiver first to get the audio extracted before sending the video to a VP30 and then on to the display bugs me..but of course, it's still that miracle "one cable solution".

Plus, there's the sloppy control over a manufacturers implementation...but that's a whole 'nother discussion...
Old 06-04-2006, 08:20 PM

I am new to this, I just bought the 970 oppo. do i hook up the player's HDMI to the TV then out to the receiver, or do I run the player HDMI to a reciever via HDMI and then HDMI out from the reciever to the tv? I have a panny 50" 60u tv.