Oppo Digital DV-970HD FAQ / Brain dump - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Last night I watched The Concientious Objector DVD, a documentary shot with Panasonic's VariCam Cinema HD camera. It looked very good on my 42-inch Panny plasma (60 series) via HDMI, and I looked at the different resolution outputs of the Oppo. It became apparent that, compared to the other resolutions, 480i was darker and colors were oversaturated. Has anybody else noticed that?

With my current TV settings I preferred 720p and 1080i. They both looked very detailed and smooth. Shadow detail was particularly good, whereas with 480i shadow detail was crushed. When I tried to adjust 480i for brightness, contrast, and color saturation I was not able to make it look as good as 720p and 1080i.

I will go through the AVIA calibration as soon as I get the chance. With my TV/Oppo combination, it appears that each resolution may require a separate calibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto3645 View Post

Last night I watched The Concientious Objector DVD, a documentary shot with Panasonic's VariCam Cinema HD camera. It looked very good on my 42-inch Panny plasma (60 series) via HDMI, and I looked at the different resolution outputs of the Oppo. It became apparent that, compared to the other resolutions, 480i was darker and colors were oversaturated. Has anybody else noticed that?

With my current TV settings I preferred 720p and 1080i. They both looked very detailed and smooth. Shadow detail was particularly good, whereas with 480i shadow detail was crushed. When I tried to adjust 480i for brightness, contrast, and color saturation I was not able to make it look as good as 720p and 1080i.

I will go through the AVIA calibration as soon as I get the chance. With my TV/Oppo combination, it appears that each resolution may require a separate calibration.

Anytime you switch resolutions you should at least double check calibration. This is especially true when switching back to or from 480i. Different deinterlacer/scaler is being used. Switching between 720p and 1080i probably won't require a check but it can't hurt. What are you using to calibrate?

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #453 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

What are you using to calibrate?

larry

Just a quick question - do you mean software or hardware? I myself use to calibrate as described in the #post7270763.

inomics
post #454 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

PooperScooper was mainly talking about the people who ran off on television and receiver tangents which stopped being about the DV-970HD or DVD players in general.

As long as the conversations remain in the realm of the DV-970HD (recommended settings, displays, experience, comparisons, you name it) it is fine. But once you start talking about things (at length) which do not relate to the DV-970HD, you are inviting trouble.

exactamundo

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #455 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 08:24 AM

Kpeling,
I too, have an H79 which has an adequate scaler but the vp30 would be superior to that. I believe the hdmi 480i to the vp30 and setting the H79 on native to passthrough the vp30 scaling would be the way to go. I am not an authority on this but from what I have learned from the scaling experts on this forum, this would appear to be optimum. I am contemplating a D2 with the oppo 970hd and will hook it up as I mentioned.
DJ
post #456 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 08:47 AM

Okay, this may be a dumb question to I apologise in advance. My TV, a Toshiba HX81, does not have HDMI or DVI inputs for a digital connection so only component. My current DVD player is a seven (?) year old Sony S7700. Considering that I can not use the upscaling feature over a digital connection and that I will be limited to 480i or 480P for CSS DVDs would I see much improvement in picture?

I know that there are other benefits such as DIVX support (can it play DIVX HD? over component?) and the high end audio so I think it could still be a good buy, but considering I am still in the analog domain, which would be better, the DV970HD or the DV971H for video?

Thank you.
post #457 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjnorman View Post

Okay, this may be a dumb question to I apologise in advance. My TV, a Toshiba HX81, does not have HDMI or DVI inputs for a digital connection so only component. My current DVD player is a seven (?) year old Sony S7700. Considering that I can not use the upscaling feature over a digital connection and that I will be limited to 480i or 480P for CSS DVDs would I see much improvement in picture?

I know that there are other benefits such as DIVX support (can it play DIVX HD? over component?) and the high end audio so I think it could still be a good buy, but considering I am still in the analog domain, which would be better, the DV970HD or the DV971H for video?

Thank you.

The 970HD does a decent job with component, better than the 971.

larry

post #458 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 09:18 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

Oppo DVD 970HD
Here my 1st nights impression: My EQ: just so you can measure for your self. Denon 3803- PSB Silveri Stratus -LF, PSB C6i-C, T+A rears (German), SVS 12isd, Plasma NEC 50XR5. EQ: that may be replaced- Sony CE775 Modified CD player of SACD, Pan RP82 DVD:
My system has been calibrated w/ with AVIA & RS SPL. (It will take a week or so to calibrate the 970{can't find my SPL L.) Acoustically
Challenged living room. I also want to eliminate Eq from the living room. Review with SACD/CD/VideoCD/ 5 different DVD's-one or 2 scenes apiece.
1.For CD play it is a good player- unless you really have to have the finest fidelity with a dedicated room and $$$$ CD player. I think this will work.
2.SACD, well if you want this format fidelity and sound stage, it is pretty good. Don't go to a really high-end system and listen to it and then compare. The high end will sound deeper. The full music impact of my Sony is better. But not day vs. night. Once I calibrate it, I'll make a better report.
3. DVD: I am replacing a $180 RP82 (6yrs old) waiting for the F^%$ HD war to finish out and see some players to review.. The DVD sound tract was very impressive. Clear- accurate-full, the subwoofer sounded like a sub should. In SWARS Clone wars, when the dart killed the assassin. You could literately hear the dart come over your right shoulder/ side overhead through the air and hit with a solid impact thud into the assassin.
4.In the Bar scene w/ the assassin. My previous player was darker with much less detail- now you could really see what the patrons were wearing-nice- and face expressions. Other scenes smother PQ- more accurate color and 3D effect. But I wouldn't say true Professional high gloss 35 mm. But very good. I demo a PIO 45A ($350) and the PQ w/ the 970 was much better- sound same/ slightly better. {But the CD and SACD was much better than the PIO 45A.
5.Did this player beat the Pan rp82 for DVD PQ yes - but didn't smother it. Will I keep it yes - will I keep my SACD player- still reviewing.
6.Very easy to set up and run. Very thin.
7.MAJOR warning: The tray: It is VERY thin. And really not agronomical correct, for adding and removing the DVD. Young hands could damage very quickly and drunken hands faster. I have never been proponent to warranties (no real value). But here one might look to see if a warranty will cover the tray with no questions for cause.
Edit: RE: TRAY- Neuromancer- that could be a valid point- I don't know much about trays in other players. It was my 1st impression. I feel a little better that you could see what I was describing and knew enough to relieve my concerns- thankse.
post #459 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

7.MAJOR warning: The tray: It is VERY thin. And really not agronomical correct, for adding and removing the DVD. Young hands could damage very quickly and drunken hands faster. I have never been proponent to warranties (no real value). But here one might look to see if a warranty will cover the tray with no questions for cause.

Here is a little philosophy that can be applied to the tray:

"To bend like the reed in the wind, that is the real strength" Taoist proverb.

The tray is designed to allow for more abuse than standard plastaic trays. It is less likely to crack, break, or otherwise come off of its rails due to its plasticity. Yes, our perceived notion is that thin and flexible = cheap and unreliable, but that is not the case with the OPDV971H/DV-970HD.
post #460 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 10:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

Well, since all of my sacd discs are hybrid, I am not really sure, as my D2 status info is advising me that I have L & R stereo.

But, I can report that I have watched Freedomland and Heat at 480i throught the Oppo to my D2 to 50" Sony GWIII and found the PQ extremely satisfying. And, remember that I have spent the past few weeks watching HD flicks on my XA-1.

Interesting, hard to imagine both Anthem and Denon, two companies that are normally very detailed about how they implement something, could have something wrong. I'm going to take my Oppo down to Magnolia today and try it with the rest of the Denon HDMI capable lineup plus a few other receivers and see what happens.

Kris Deering has a D2, has he ever reported back here his observations on SACD and DVD-A? I seem to recall something about that earlier in the thread.
post #461 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Thank you.

the hx81 toshibas GREATLY benefit from component upconversion due to the crappy internal upconvertion of 480p to 540p. inputing 1080i bypasses is and you'll be amazed at the differences. I have a 50hx81 and have been using upconverters for 3+years. current upconverter is the LG 418 upgraded with the lg 531 firmware. before that I used the zenith 318 and before that I used a sigma 8500 clone.

Best,
jeff
post #462 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

If you are using an analog display device, you will not want to go with the OPDV971H, as it is designed for digital displays only. The DV-970HD will be the better player, especially once someone hacks the unit to allow for component based upconversion of all material (not just non-CSS discs).
post #463 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I have a panasonic 8uk. And a DVDO vp30. My DVD players just dead. Do you guys recommend this dvd player with my system? Should I consider getting blue ray dvd? Any suggestions would be great.
post #464 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

the hx81 toshibas GREATLY benefit from component upconversion due to the crappy internal upconvertion of 480p to 540p. inputing 1080i bypasses is and you'll be amazed at the differences. I have a 50hx81 and have been using upconverters for 3+years. current upconverter is the LG 418 upgraded with the lg 531 firmware. before that I used the zenith 318 and before that I used a sigma 8500 clone.

Best,
jeff

Thank you for your input. I do not want to get off topic for fear of being deleted, but I do not know a better place to ask this so sorry mods.

With you 50hx81 (same as mine) does your LG 418 upgraded with the lg 531 firmware output 1080i for CSS commercial discs or do you rip and deCSS then first?

Back to the DV970HD, I am assuming from the specs, unless I misunderstood, this player will output 1080i with commercial films that have been DeCSSed (spelling?).

Is this right as a lot of my films are that way these days - hey I'm not a criminal...when you habe a rambunctious 3 year old you learn to protect your discs...
post #465 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
yes it does play all commercial discs at 1080i via component without deCSS'ing.

jeff
post #466 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Anytime you switch resolutions you should at least double check calibration. This is especially true when switching back to or from 480i. Different deinterlacer/scaler is being used. Switching between 720p and 1080i probably won't require a check but it can't hurt. What are you using to calibrate?

larry

Thanks for your response. And yes, there is a bigger difference between 480i and the higher resolutions than between 720p and 1080i, where the difference is negligible.

I will be using AVIA to calibrate. I am waiting for my new receiver (Panasonic SA-XR57) to arrive Friday June 9. Its HDMI is supposed to be pass-thru, but I am concerned that if I calibrate without the receiver in the chain the settings might be different.
post #467 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the review DAB. But I do wish there was a 970 review thread! Its becoming too difficult to wade through existing 970 threads to get information from people who now actually own the unit.
post #468 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Interesting, hard to imagine both Anthem and Denon, two companies that are normally very detailed about how they implement something, could have something wrong. I'm going to take my Oppo down to Magnolia today and try it with the rest of the Denon HDMI capable lineup plus a few other receivers and see what happens.

Kris Deering has a D2, has he ever reported back here his observations on SACD and DVD-A? I seem to recall something about that earlier in the thread.

See Kris Deering's response in thread #494. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=17&pp=30

Stan
post #469 of 6316 Old 06-06-2006, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

See Kris Deering's response in thread #494. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=17&pp=30

Thanks for that link, looks like I'll have to call Denon and see what they say about it.
post #470 of 6316 Old 06-07-2006, 04:46 AM

Hi Guys,

Has anyone seen the DVD Player thread on this forum about the new OPPO DVD player ,which can output 480i via the HDMI outlet so it's in digital ,rather than analog.

I have a mind to order one, but seem to remember reading somewhere that the H79 won't accept 480i via the DVI/HDMI input. Does anyone know for sure?
post #471 of 6316 Old 06-07-2006, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please excuse what is probably a stupid question (it's early and my brain isn't 100% yet), but why would anyone want to upconvert a 480p image to 1080i for watching DVDs? I realize there are going to be advantages to both, but with 480p the viewer is getting a progressive image, and better yet, the viewer is likley getting "reverse 2-3 pulldown" so that all frames are constructed properly.

With upconversion to 1080i it seems that all is being done is upconverting the 480i image to 1080i. The simple fact that 1080 is interlaced (except on BD and HDDVD) means that there can be no utlization of "reverse 2-3 pulldown," which means that any and all interlacing artifacts should show up.

Upconverting to 720p is a different story, of couse, as the progressive frame would remain intact.

I ask this also becasue I've always wondered what TV broadcasters do with movies they show at 1080i.

To me, the greatest thing a viewer can ever do for improving movie watching at home is to eliminate interlace artifacts. Upconverting to 1080i just doesn't seem to do that.

I hope this isn't considered too off-topic. I'm interested in the Oppo for connection to my Sony 30XS955 (which displays at either 480p or 1080i). If there are no real advantages to upconversion, then some of the luster of the Oppo is lost (not all of course - there's still the great 480p output).

Thanks.
post #472 of 6316 Old 06-07-2006, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm48il View Post

...Has anyone seen the DVD Player thread on this forum about the new OPPO DVD player....

This is it. You're probably confused by the numbering of the models. The older one is 971 and the new one is 970. And yes, it outputs 480i over the HDMI connection.
post #473 of 6316 Old 06-07-2006, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Kris's comment is in reference to 5.1 channel DVDA/SACD not functioning between the 970 and the D2. Sounds like the issue there is with the Anthem if he's waiting for a D2 update to fix the problem, not the 970. Has anyone tried getting 5.1 DVDA/SACD over HDMI (via PCM) from the 970 using another receiver besides a D2 or Denon 3806?

I'm trying to understand if this is a receiver issue or a problem with the 970.

BDP-83 EAP (first 50)
post #474 of 6316 Old 06-07-2006, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphish View Post

Please excuse what is probably a stupid question (it's early and my brain isn't 100% yet), but why would anyone want to upconvert a 480p image to 1080i for watching DVDs? I realize there are going to be advantages to both, but with 480p the viewer is getting a progressive image, and better yet, the viewer is likley getting "reverse 2-3 pulldown" so that all frames are constructed properly.

With upconversion to 1080i it seems that all is being done is upconverting the 480i image to 1080i.

In order to upconvert to 1080i, the 480i original must be deinterlaced, scaled, and then reinterlaced.

Upconversion has decided benefits if you scale to the native resolution of the display. This has been discussed extensively in the FAQs at the top of this forum.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #475 of 6316 Old 06-07-2006, 08:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post

Kris's comment is in reference to 5.1 channel DVDA/SACD not functioning between the 970 and the D2. Sounds like the issue there is with the Anthem if he's waiting for a D2 update to fix the problem, not the 970. Has anyone tried getting 5.1 DVDA/SACD over HDMI (via PCM) from the 970 using another receiver besides a D2 or Denon 3806?

I'm trying to understand if this is a receiver issue or a problem with the 970.

I'm trying to understand where/what the problem is as well.

Neuromancer confirmed that he was, but I don't recall if he indicated what receiver/pre-pro he was using, and I don't recall if anyone else has confirmed that they have been successful although in many cases, if there isn't a problem many wouldn't post about it.

I'm going to call Denon today but I'm not sure they will be much help as I doubt they have access to the 970 as this point. What confuses me is that it works fine with the Toshiba HD-A1 but doesn't with the 970 so I have to assume that one or the other is not doing something right.
post #476 of 6316 Old 06-07-2006, 08:24 AM

Jim Hef Quote:
Originally Posted by rm48il
...Has anyone seen the DVD Player thread on this forum about the new OPPO DVD player....

This is it. You're probably confused by the numbering of the models. The older one is 971 and the new one is 970. And yes, it outputs 480i over the HDMI connection

Sorry, I'm not making myself clear!

What I'm wondering is whether anyone can confirm that the Optoma H79 Projector DVI input can accept the 4801 that the OPPO 970 can put out on it's HDMI output.

As others have said ,this is close to an SDI output, but I seem to recall someone saying that the H79 won't accept 480i as a digital input
post #477 of 6316 Old 06-07-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDClown View Post

I must be missing something. Why does the 971 let you have the capability to upconvert in the DVD player and the 970 doesn't?

I think he means that the scaler in the 971H is better than the 970HD, so that drove him to the 971. They both upconvert. I received and hooked up the 971H last night, put it into 720p mode via DVI, watched the opening space battle scene of SW Episode 3 (kids' choice) and the PQ was really stunning -- very saturated colors, and no jaggies, breakup, or motion artifcacts that I could spot. I'll have to see if it holds up on real (as opposed to computer-generated) movies. I see what others mean by "the picture is a little soft" but I'll have to see if that's a problem. The "film-like look" definitely complemented what I've seen so far.

I tried 480p (scaled to 768p by my Sony 70XBR950 and didn't like that as much. I was also disappointed that 480i over DVI wasn't one of the options. I don't know for a fact that the Sony TV would even accept that over DVI but I wanted to try a digital connection with the TV doing most of the grunt work.

The UI of the player is also pretty good. The only improvements I could suggest is putting up a message saying some changes can't be made while in PLAY mode (you just get an X in the corner -- took me a couple of minutes to remember that you have to push stop before changing DVI resolutions, although if I'd cracked the manual, it might have pointed that out), and the very nice remote looks like it should be back-lit but isn't (as far as I could tell, anyway).

Anyway, so far so good. Oppo really does have winning products.

post #478 of 6316 Old 06-07-2006, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Great, but you're in the 970 thread...there is a 971 thread for this!
post #479 of 6316 Old 06-07-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:

As others have said ,this is close to an SDI output, but I seem to recall someone saying that the H79 won't accept 480i as a digital input

Did you ask in the PJ forum? If not, why not??

larry

post #480 of 6316 Old 06-07-2006, 11:27 AM

Have you used the iScan HD+ with this? I can't really justify the cost of a VP30 but could probably swing an HD or HD+ and was wondering if it would be worth it or if I should just save up for a VP30 at some point. I'm using the 970 right now straight to my Z4 onto a 92" screen and while it's not breathtaking it's not nearly as bad as people made me think it would be on a big screen. The biggest problem seems to be with diag lines which would make sense since it doesn't have the DCDi
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page