AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

OPPO has added a Beta firmware to their website: 0613

An incredible FW response-time from an incredible company! Thank you OPPO.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 01:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Okey dokey, it looks like the above firmware fixed the PCM multi-channel HiRez audio over HDMI problem with the Denon 3806. Tried 4-5 discs and they appear to be working right. Going to play with it more tomorrow, too late to play music right now...

Thanks to Oppo for getting this fix out so quick.
post #633 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 02:21 AM

Shall I say this ? OPPO Roxxx !
Waiting for my player to ship in.
post #634 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

2. Automatic Selecting Multi-Channel PCM Audio for HDMI when Playing High Resolution Audio Content (DVD-Audio and SACD)

This version adds a feature to automatically select Multi-Channel PCM audio for HDMI output. If the HDMI Audio setting on the DVD player is set to "SPDIF" and the SPDIF setting is set to "Raw", the DVD player will automatically switch HDMI Audio to Multi-Channel when playing high resolution audio content (DVD-Audio and SACD). This feature is useful for users who would prefer to use their HDMI A/V receiver to decode Dolby Digital and DTS audio tracks for DVD-Video, yet still be able to play DVD-Audio and SACD without adjusting the player settings.

Note: If you use HDMI to connect audio to an HDMI A/V receiver or audio processor, it is recommended that you choose 720p or 1080i HDMI output resolution when playing high resolution audio content (DVD-Audio and SACD). According to the HDMI specification, the bandwidth available for digital audio is proportional to the total bandwidth used by digital video. At 480i/480p/576i/576p resolution, the HDMI specification can only support 2 channels of audio with high sample rate (up to 192kHz), or 8 channels of audio with standard sample rate (up to 48kHz). Depending on the capability of your A/V receiver or audio processor, if you play high resolution audio content at 480i/480p/576i/576p resolution, you may encounter problems of incomplete audio channels or no audio/video output at all. Choosing a high HDMI output resolution such as 720p or 1080i allows enough bandwidth for all high sample rate audio channels.[/url]

Amazingly quick response from Oppo. Congratulations!

Unfortunately, If I read this correctly, it looks like for those of us planning to use the 970HD as a 480i digital transport, we still won't have effortless playback of high-res audio, which is what one would expect. We'll have to manually change the player's output to 720p or 1080i and then set it back to 480i when we're finished listening and ready to watch. Not the end of the world, but neither intuitive nor "wife-friendly".

Perhaps Oppo can "silently" engage 720p mode when DVD-Audio or SACD is being played back, and then "silently" return the player to the user-selected output setting when done?

/steve
post #635 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, If I read this correctly, it looks like for those of us planning to use the 970HD as a 480i digital transport, we still won't have effortless playback of high-res audio

I noticed that too, and based on their explanation it sounds as if the HDMI standard is giving them some grief - and that it'll give other manufacturers grief, as well. Your idea of a quick toggle from 480i to 720p/1080i would be a handy solution.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #636 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

I held off buying this player until the multi-channel audio output to an A/V receiver via HDMI was resolved. Now that it is, I think I'm ready to order but have a question first. Since my TV has component only, I was planning to use component for video and HDMI for audio (to a Denon 3806). Does #2 point of Neuromancer's post apply in my situation and, if so, how? Can I set the HDMI output to audio only and therefore ignore what is stated in #2?

E
post #637 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 07:49 AM
liy

Just a follow-up to my personal evaluation of the 970. Popped in my Superbit edition of Lawrence of Arabia and was amazed at just how 3-dimensional and well-rendered was this excellent movie. The faces took on an etched, bas-relief, quality that I had never seen before (having watched this movie many times on my Panny RP-91, Sony 75/85, Panny 52, Panny RP30, and Toshiba 4990).

Again, I'm running this at 480i HDMI into a Pio Elite 1130. Also, I finally, tested the upscaling at both 720p and 1080i, and while not bad, the 480i setting is clearly superior (on my display).

LIY
post #638 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Let me add my voice and "good job" to Oppo on this timely firmware update. Not only did they address a newly discovered issue quickly and effectively - the update process was as simple and quick as is probably possible. My DVD's with 7.1 sound now play flawlessly through the HDMI connection of my Denon AVR 4806! Believe me, it was much more time consuming and complex to update the firmware on both the Denon 4806 Audyssey system and the firmware on my VP30 than it was on this Oppo 970HD. A simple job of burn a small .iso file to CD, insert CD and the update is pretty much self-accomplishing in all of 2 minutes. Terrific!

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #639 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 09:40 AM

I too would like to know if the 970 can play DVD-A discs like the Talking Heads Brick set

thanks
post #640 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

At 480i/480p/576i/576p resolution, the HDMI specification can only support 2 channels of audio with high sample rate (up to 192kHz), or 8 channels of audio with standard sample rate (up to 48kHz).

Whoa...this I didn't know.
Does dvd-video store audio above 48khz?
If it does, then those using 480i HDMI would kaput any idea of using HDMI audio for movies.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #641 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 10:16 AM

2 Quick Questions.

I have an OPPO-970HD coming in a few days and Im wondering...

1.What are better cables to use for dvd-a discs for the best sound possible? Optical or what? I'm not wanting name brands but just the best connection to use.My reciever cant accept HDMI.

2.If I burn exact duplicates of DVD's using 1Click DVD Copy and remove the copy protection will I be able to use the features that wont work on standard CSS encrypted DVD's?

Thanks,
NHT4LIFE

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #642 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 10:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by posies2323 View Post

I too would like to know if the 970 can play DVD-A discs like the Talking Heads Brick set

thanks

The Brick is the US release DualDisc set correct? I can't speak about those but I can say that the player locks up when trying to play the UK release separate DVD-A disc. It's locked up on the 2 I've tried so far. It does seem to play other DVD-A's such as a couple of the AIX Records releases.
post #643 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHT4LIFE View Post

1.What are better cables to use for dvd-a discs for the best sound possible? Optical or what? I'm not wanting name brands but just the best connection to use.My reciever cant accept HDMI.

You will want to use the multi-channel analog outputs. You will just need 3 pairs of RCA cables and a receiver which allows for such an input.

Quote:

2.If I burn exact duplicates of DVD's using 1Click DVD Copy and remove the copy protection will I be able to use the features that wont work on standard CSS encrypted DVD's?

Yes. If you strip the CSS encryption, there is nothing stopping you from using the component outputs for full upconversion.
post #644 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
With my HDTV, I have been able to get better results setting the Oppo's color space to RGB and letting the Oppo handle the color space instead of the TV.

Here are my HDTV's HDMI options and [current settings]:

HDMI Setup

Signal Type - [Auto] - RGB - YCbCr 4:4:4 - YCbCr 4:2:2
Color Matrix - [Auto] - ITU601 - ITU709
Dynamic Range - [Standard] - Out of Standard
Auto View - [Enabled] - Disabled

Picture > Advanced

Black - [On] - Off (Black Level Expansion Setting)

Any comments or suggestions on which settings are best and why would be appreciated.
post #645 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

Signal Type - [Auto] - RGB - YCbCr 4:4:4 - YCbCr 4:2:2

My unit isn't arriving until Monday, so I didn't realize there was an option to select 4:2:2. I assume that, in theory, the 4:2:2 signal is "purer" than 4:4:4, and therefore better to send to an external scaler?

Or would RGB be equally "pure"?

/steve

Edit: Upon re-reading Wesley's post, I realize now he listed his TV's options, not the Oppo's. My bad.
post #646 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 11:57 AM

Keenan,

Yes, the Brick is the U.S. dual-disc release. Thanks for trying out your UK discs - much appreciated.

Carl
post #647 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 12:03 PM

Thank you Neuromancer for your help.You are most kind to help all of us out like you do.Cheers.

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #648 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Someone just posted in another thread (TH-XXPH9UK Announcement) that the commercial Panasonic plasmas DO NOT accept 480i via HDMI. Am I wrong in thinking that this is what I should be aiming at...the ability to feed the panel a clean 480i and let the set do the deinterlacing and scaling?
post #649 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboyter View Post

Someone just posted in another thread (TH-XXPH9UK Announcement) that the commercial Panasonic plasmas DO NOT accept 480i via HDMI. Am I wrong in thinking that this is what I should be aiming at...the ability to feed the panel a clean 480i and let the set do the deinterlacing and scaling?

Yes, in theory, assuming the set's internal scaler is equal to or better than the external scaler or upconverting DVD player's scaler you're comparing it to. Some are and some aren't, so it's hard to know what's better without doing direct A/B comparisons yourself, or relying on what the pro reviewers have to say.

If upconversion was simple math, companies like Faroudja, DVDO, et al. wouldn't be in business!

/steve
post #650 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 01:57 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

Those of you have and know how good SACD sounds can you give me your impressions.
I have a dedicated MOD- SONY CE775 player. I did calibrate w/ AVIA& RS SPL.
But i haven't been able to calibrate yet the Oppo 970. The SACD from the 970 doesn;t sound as rich as my Sony-but it could be because it is not calibrate.
What have you heard.
{ i am not stating the 970 isn't a good sound SACD player}
db
* using 6 cable analog
post #651 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Of course not.

Well, sort of. My question isn't specific enough...

Wouldn't the recent news regarding the XBox360 and PS3 (lower model) not having a digital connection, and some kind of newer generation drive, blow a big fat hole in this upconversion problem? Seems kind of silly that a true HD signal can go through in the clear, but an upconverted one from an inferior source can't.

Only reason I'm bringing this up again is that Oppo has shown the ability to respond to customer comments, and something in this "gentlemen's agreement" is fishy...
post #652 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

...I have a dedicated MOD- SONY CE775 player....

Why do you want to replace that player? Sony created the format, and I would think that it would have superior sound to any "universal" player.
post #653 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

No.
The ONLY advantage to having a DVD player with 480i HDMI output is for those who have a standalone external scaler/deinterlacer, such as the DVDO VP30 (just one example), that does a better job processing the image than either the player or the display.
If you don't have one of these, you usually (though not always) get a better picture when a progressive scan DVD player performs the deinterlacing in the digital domain BEFORE sending a 480p signal to the display. I've noticed less improvement when the DVD player does the scaling as well.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #654 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post

Only reason I'm bringing this up again is that Oppo has shown the ability to respond to customer comments, and something in this "gentlemen's agreement" is fishy...

Since Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, as well as Oppo and many other companies don't permit component upscaling, it is certainly clear there is an agreement. The logic of allowing true HD over component but not faux HD makes little sense, but this isn't the first thing regarding home audio/video that makes little sense. It is probably just that faux DVD HDTV was first and it is software that decides. Some commercial DVD's allow component upscaling but most don't. We might see more DVD titles that permit it going forward. It is a fact that the hardward for both HD DVD and DVD players made by Toshiba have the ability to restrict the component upscaling, but it is software dependent in both cases. I don't have a crystal ball but eventually we may see true HD DVD restricted with most titles and SD DVD allow it with most titles, it is not clear what the circumstances will be in a year or two or more.

Chris
post #655 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 04:35 PM

Can somebody please respond to my post #587 on page 20? Also, this new firmware does not fix the underscanning problem, right?
post #656 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post

Seems kind of silly that a true HD signal can go through in the clear, but an upconverted one from an inferior source can't.

And this is why people are worried about ICT (Image Constraint Token). If the studios decide to use a "token", then the component output will be regulated to half the pixel resolution (960x540). So far, no studio has announced that they will use the ITC, in fact there is a "backroom" deal which states that they will not do so until 2010, but there is no guarantee that it will never be used.

There are many other copyprotection schemes which make no sense anymore. Macrovision is still required on DVD players, despite the technology being completely antiquated and easily circumvented. However, DVD manufactures still must abide by all the rules and regulations of DVD manufacturing, no matter how dated, or asinine it may be.

To a consumer all this is bad business; to a business it is the difference between being operational and being shut down by injunctions.
post #657 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan5043 View Post

Can somebody please respond to my post #587 on page 20? Also, this new firmware does not fix the underscanning problem, right?

If you have a DLP, you will likely just want to go with the DV-970HD or the Sony NS75H to ensure that you do not run into macroblocking errors. If you don't mind spending the time and energy needed to calibrate correctly, then the OPDV971H will be the superior choice in respect to proper de-interlacing and scaling.

The underscanning of the DV-970HD is similar to that of the NS70H from Sony. It is about a half of an inch to inch thicka bar at the top of the screen, and sometimes at the bottom (depending on overscan).

This has not been addressed in the beta firmware. It is being addressed, but no firmware has been created at this time.
post #658 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 05:07 PM

I am helping someone buy a new DVD player.

His PROFESIONAL installer set him up
4-5 year old entry-line 480i denon dvd player --- 480i component --->
Focus CS-2 scaler --- ? resolution component --->
1 year old toshiba 720P DLP front projector (has internal Faroudja)

I was going to have him get
OPPO 970 ---HDMI-DVI--->
CS-2 ---DVI--->
Toshiba DLP

But had a few questions.
1) Can one use a HDMI to DVI adapter or cable with 480i? The CS-2 has HDCP on the DVI port. I just think I will need to use the OPPO to convert to the RGB colorspace. Is this possible?

2) Does the projector also need to have HDCP on its DVI for the second run?

3) Which would be better? A) Using the CS-2 (Si504) as a 480i switcher and let the projector (Faroudja) deinterlace and scale. B) Use the processor to deinterlace and scale and send to projector native.

4) Would cleaning up the signal path be worth the $150 player and $50 in cables? I tried to explain to him an SDI player and that was out of the question.
post #659 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Why do you want to replace that player? Sony created the format, and I would think that it would have superior sound to any "universal" player.

I have a Sony DVP900S DVD/SACD player. I am not at all impressed with the SACD audio playback. My Sony older CDP77ES regular format compact disc player sounds better. Reference ES series SONY SACD players are exceptional as many reviews state, however. I'd be curious if a later generation universal player like the OPPO 970 might improve on my early Sony combo DVD/SACD unit. It'd also be nice to have the ability to play some of those DVD Audio discs as there are some great titles out there.
post #660 of 6316 Old 06-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

No.
The ONLY advantage to having a DVD player with 480i HDMI output is for those who have a standalone external scaler/deinterlacer, such as the DVDO VP30 (just one example), that does a better job processing the image than either the player or the display.
If you don't have one of these, you usually (though not always) get a better picture when a progressive scan DVD player performs the deinterlacing in the digital domain BEFORE sending a 480p signal to the display. I've noticed less improvement when the DVD player does the scaling as well.

"though not always" is the operative phrase here.

My Fujitsu P50XHA40US plasma's AVMII processor, e.g., does a better job deinterlacing component 480i than the Sony 9000ES I currently have attached to it does at 480p. I've confirmed that my Fujitsu's HDMI input supports 10 bit YCbCr 4:2:2, 8 bit YCbCr 4:4:4 and 8 bit RGB 4:4:4, so I'm looking forward to seeing how well the AVMII deinterlaces and upscales the 970HD's 480i over HDMI to 768p. There may be other variables I'm not considering that will produce disappointing results, but on paper the 970HD and the AVMII processor should be an excellent marriage of technologies.

There may also be other displays out there with equally good built-in internal scalers. E.g., I wouldn't be surprised if the newest Sony LCD's and LCD rear projectors share the same built-in scaling algorithms found in the NS75H. If so, they should also do exceptionally well with the 970HD's 480i digital signal... at least in theory!

/steve
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page