Oppo 970HD or Cambridge DVD87 for AUDIO only? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-14-2006, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Right now I'm building a pair of speakers for my office, and I want as good of a source unit as I can afford on my very tight budget. I was originally looking at the Cambridge Audio DVD87, since it appears to be the same as the 89 but without the HDMI output. Reviews that I've found for the DVD89 seem very favorable. Then I discovered that the Oppo 970HD seems to have the exact same internals as the Cambridge, except for a smaller power supply.

Has anybody listened to both of these two units? Video quality is really of no concern to me, since the only time I'll even see video is for the DVD concerts that I watch, or to navigate the DVD-A menus. Am I likely to hear an improvement in quality between these units and my current Pioneer DV-563A?

I'm somewhat torn, because the Cambridge is available locally from a B&M that I trust, but it's over $100 more than the Oppo, and I don't believe that it's got the video defeat option like the Oppo has. On the other hand, it's got a better power supply, and a vastly better appearance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-15-2006, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Anybody?
post #3 of 12 Old 11-15-2006, 01:59 PM

Liked: 10
avguide.com had a great review of the 970, said it really shown on DVD-A. i have one, but only listen to SACDs. don't know the cambridge.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-15-2006, 03:54 PM

btw, another player you should consider is the Pioneer DV-46AV. i just got one and my preliminary impression is that for DVD-A and CD it's much better than the 970. jury's still out on SACD, but i'll write up a detailed comparison of the two players next week.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post

I was originally looking at the Cambridge Audio DVD87, since it appears to be the same as the 89 but without the HDMI output. Reviews that I've found for the DVD89 seem very favorable. Then I discovered that the Oppo 970HD seems to have the exact same internals as the Cambridge, except for a smaller power supply.

I'm looking at the same thing (DVD87 Vs 970HD).
Where did you read they have the same internals ??
They do have the same audio DAC (CS4360) and all the output connectors are in the same place between the two.
Please post a link where you heard about this...

Todd
post #6 of 12 Old 01-12-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd95008 View Post

I'm looking at the same thing (DVD87 Vs 970HD).
Where did you read they have the same internals ??
They do have the same audio DAC (CS4360) and all the output connectors are in the same place between the two.
Please post a link where you heard about this...

Todd

The thread here indicates that these units are very similar and designed by the same engineers at BBK:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...=310826&page=5
post #7 of 12 Old 01-12-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowlt4 View Post

The thread here indicates that these units are very similar and designed by the same engineers at BBK:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...=310826&page=5

Very Interesting...
I had my Oppo 970 apart to do some audio mods, so I decided to also open up my Cambridge 540D (used strictly for DVD Audio) and saw it had an older BBK digital/main board with a Cambridge designed audio buffer output board (Separate board).
I don't think the DVD87/89 models do this since the connectors are all in the same position. The DVD87 omits the HDMI & DVI outputs and the Oppo omits the SCART connector and the DVI (DVD89 has all of them). By omit I mean the Oppo circuit board has the parts not stuffed for those outputs.
My guess is the Cambridge boards have some component changes/upgrades (I hope so) Vs Oppo/BBK. BBK/Oppo with my own mods is sounding pretty good but I'm hoping Cambridge can eek a little more out (at least it's much more solid player) ??

Todd
post #8 of 12 Old 01-14-2007, 07:58 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

My guess is the Cambridge boards have some component changes/upgrades (I hope so) Vs Oppo/BBK. BBK/Oppo with my own mods is sounding pretty good but I'm hoping Cambridge can eek a little more out (at least it's much more solid player) ??
Todd

However, Oppo has a reputation for providing accurate and informative tech support, and further has released several firmware updates that solve problems users have complained about, and add some new futures. See link at end of this message.

I'd think the firmware updates especially are an advantage of Oppo over Cambridge. Perhaps Oppo is able to provide better tech support because Oppo is a wholly owned subsidiary of the manufacturer, BBK, so when you deal with Oppo you are dealing more directly with the manufacturer.

http://oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd_support.html
post #9 of 12 Old 01-14-2007, 09:05 AM
BMO

I do not know of the differences of the CA dVD 87/89 and the Oppo. I do know that the CA 540d and Oppo 970 use the same menu options. The CA 540D owners manual is the worst I have ever seen. For those who have one, get your hands on a Oppo 970 owners manual.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-01-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Very Interesting...

Todd

Well, I just opened up the cambridge DVD87 and it is not the same as Oppo !!
It has a different main board (similar to azur 540D) and much smaller than oppo's main board. The board has the same Mediatech chip & audio DAC as oppo.
Missing is DTS (thru analog out & HDCD).

I have yet to make a full comparison of the audio between the two (even though the oppo has been upgraded somewhat).
More to come if anyone is interested.....

Todd
post #11 of 12 Old 02-05-2007, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a DVD89 that I purchased in Hong Kong. As far as DVD watching goes, it's region free and I have had no problems at all with the unit. I purchased it there because I wanted a DVD player that had no issues playing DVDs from other regions. I know Oppo has a hack, but this one did not need it. I haven't had the opportunity to play DVD A or SACD yet as I haven't been in the States since August. I will be back in mid Feb so I'll post after I have had time to listen to a few music discs. I have a BBK DVD player here in China and the menu's on both the DVD89 and the BBK are very similar. I can't use the digital surround right now as I only have is an 1080p LCD tv to use, but the picture at 720P and 1080i is great using DVI.

Bob
post #12 of 12 Old 06-30-2008, 08:28 AM

Hello,

I have had the Oppo 970HD for some time now and I just recently discovered something strange and I wanted to ask your opinion about it.

I have DVD-A disc titled "A brand New Day" by Sting and when playing it via Oppo 970HD player and I cannot get it to play in its highest resolution wich is 96/24 - it is only diplaying 48 kHz on my reciever. It is connected to Denon AVR-988 reciever which is HDMI 1.3a compliant and I would hope that the Oppo would be able to output 96/24 and not only 48 kHz. The only higher resolution that I have seen from Oppo was the 88.2 when I play SACD via HDMI. Why 88.2 resolution , is that the highest from SACD that there is available ?

So I am not sure what I do wrong but perhaps there are settings that impact that 48 kHz limit ? Can someone help me with those settings ?

Also, if I had DVD-A that is done in 192/24 would I be able to output that via HDMI to my reciever ? Would it be 5.1 channels or just stereo. I don't have any material that is done at 192 but I was just wondering ?

Thanks in advance,
Nikonowski
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page