Which of these two upconverting DVD player for 42PX60U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-15-2006, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at the following two upconverting DVD players for my TH-42PX60U. I currently have a daewoo (non progressive) DVD/VCR combo and want to move it to the bedroom. Have a limited budget so here are the options

Sony DVPNC85H

Philips DVP5960

Toshiba SD-6980

All of these are costing me about 60-70 bucks shipped. I don't care for the extra features on these like Sony being a dvd changer or philips being able to play divx and having usb connectivity. I am most interested in the picture quality (and improvement if any) I will see on my panny.

Edit: Added one more to the mix

thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-16-2006, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

54 views and not a single reply :(
post #3 of 18 Old 12-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

There's probably not much to distinguish them on PQ alone - maybe a slight edge to the Philips and Sony. As for whether it will be an improvement over your current player, that is probably more a matter of how bad your daewoo is rather than how good the replacement is. - DR
post #4 of 18 Old 12-16-2006, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
post #5 of 18 Old 12-17-2006, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz
So do you thing these samsungs are better than the Sony/Philips. I am leaning towards the philips because of the slim factor.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-17-2006, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0s
There's probably not much to distinguish them on PQ alone - maybe a slight edge to the Philips and Sony. As for whether it will be an improvement over your current player, that is probably more a matter of how bad your daewoo is rather than how good the replacement is. - DR
Daewoo is ok but it doesn't have progressive scan. So my tv has to first de interlace and then upscale. I have my desktop connected to the tv using DVI-->HDMI.
Do you think that playing dvd on my desktop will be of same PQ as I will get with Sony/Philips? If thats true then I can do a comparison between the two and decide if its worth to buy any of these.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

I have the 6980. I'm satisfied with the PQ. I opened up the unit and found the Zoran Vaddis 778 and Zoran HDXTREME chips. Some folks aren't too thrilled with these chips but they get the job done. I would not recommend this unit if you are going to use the component connections. It's not bad at component but I prefer my Panasonic F-86 a bit more. At this price, with HDMI, it's a heck of a value.
My interconnects from monoprice will be here tomorrow. I plan to check out the 5.1 analog connects for multi-channel music. It'll also give me hi-def sound if and when that gets here.

David
post #8 of 18 Old 12-17-2006, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

So I bought the DVP5960 today from CC. LOTR ROTK was running on TNT HD so I popped in my LOTR dvd and fast forwarded it to the same place it was on TNT. Did comparison between the dvd on Daewoo, dvd on Philips, dvd on desktop and movie on TNT. TNT was amazing and then all the other three were the same. There was virtually no difference between the daewoo 480i and philips 720p/1080i. So I will be returning the philips tomorrow. Now I have to check the Sony and Samsung and maybe Toshiba. I feel bad about buying them from the store and returning it if I don't like it. I was hoping I would get a definitive answer on the forum.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-18-2006, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder
I was hoping I would get a definitive answer on the forum.
Definitive answers are often wrong answers. These are all low budget machines. The engineers have made a bunch of compromises to hit this price point. Which compromises you can live with aren't necessarily what someone else chooses to live with. Calibration is a must. These aren't plug and play units although that's how they usually are viewed. I enjoy bringing new machines in and trying them out and going through the calibration process. It's time consuming but what hobby isn't?

David
post #10 of 18 Old 12-18-2006, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikedorian
Definitive answers are often wrong answers. These are all low budget machines. The engineers have made a bunch of compromises to hit this price point. Which compromises you can live with aren't necessarily what someone else chooses to live with. Calibration is a must. These aren't plug and play units although that's how they usually are viewed. I enjoy bringing new machines in and trying them out and going through the calibration process. It's time consuming but what hobby isn't?

David
I know. Its just that I felt guilty for trying out dvd player from stores and then returning them. Anyways I just bought the Panasonic S52 and I think I'm gonna stick with it.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-18-2006, 08:16 PM

No OPPO in the mix?
post #12 of 18 Old 12-18-2006, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FThera
No OPPO in the mix?
I was looking for <$100 player and the cheapest oppo is $150 with virtually no deals around. I searched hard for the last one month to see any deal around but no luck. I will test the s52s that I bought and if I don't like it I will then just up my budget and get the oppo.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-19-2006, 02:42 AM

Don't get the samsung HD860. mines going back today, terible PQ and upscaling, just thought I'd save you the trouble of buying then returning it.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-19-2006, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley
Don't get the samsung HD860. mines going back today, terible PQ and upscaling, just thought I'd save you the trouble of buying then returning it.
Thanks. I got the similar feeling after reading the reviews.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

No SD DVD player, even a good upscaling one, is going to rival a good true HD signal, no matter what anyone says.

bikedorian is correct, whatever you get please do make sure you calibrate your set and player. This makes a big difference on HD content, since it can help deemphasize scaling artifacts.

I'm a bit surprised you prefer this Panasonic to the Philips, I've never seen one in use but it does not have a great reputation (see, for example, http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=130). - DR
post #16 of 18 Old 12-20-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder
I was looking for <$100 player and the cheapest oppo is $150 with virtually no deals around. I searched hard for the last one month to see any deal around but no luck. I will test the s52s that I bought and if I don't like it I will then just up my budget and get the oppo.
A refurbished Oppo can be had for $120.

Also, check ebay, many Oppo owners are auctioning their units off to upgrade.
post #17 of 18 Old 12-20-2006, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0s
No SD DVD player, even a good upscaling one, is going to rival a good true HD signal, no matter what anyone says.

bikedorian is correct, whatever you get please do make sure you calibrate your set and player. This makes a big difference on HD content, since it can help deemphasize scaling artifacts.

I'm a bit surprised you prefer this Panasonic to the Philips, I've never seen one in use but it does not have a great reputation (see, for example, http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=130). - DR
I haven't received the panasonic yet but I was not very impressed with 5960. Maybe I won't like panny either in which case I will just go with oppo (970) as Stimby suggested. The only reason I jumped on panny was because it was a great deal and I have had good experience with panny. Besides a lot of ppl in the s52s thread said that they are happy with their panny plasma and s52s combination.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Toshiba had one of the worst reported reviews, so I would past on that one. The philips I didn't get the HDMI upconvert that's not really a true HD Player so you would need to shell out more for one that is. So the Philips 59140 with Divx/Xivid does give the best picture when used with component 480p for now. Sony has one at Costco for double the price, but I see no one buy those either.
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page